Blank-133x176
Maggody in Manhattan

Joan Hess

Maggody in Manhattan (Arly Hanks #6)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  462 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Maggody takes on Manhattan in the sixth mystery to feature small-town Police Chief Arly Hanks of down-home Maggody, Arkansas. The spitfire heroine Arly is the freshest female sleuth to come down the pike in a while, and now she is summoned to New York to unravel the mystery behind all the mayhem--including shootings, an ever-growing pile of dead bodies, and a wild-eyed man...more
Published October 1st 1992 by Dutton Books (first published 1992)

Janice
Always a pleasure to visit Maggody. Although this time several of the denizens were heading to Manhattan to create their own particular brand of trouble.

The mysteries are secondary to the silliness here. Who won't laugh at what Mrs. Jim Bob and Brother Verber get themselves into when they try to wipe out the evils of alcohol and lust? Kevin and Dahlia head off on their honeymoon only to become the prisoners of a criminal (Marvel). Arly goes to Manhattan to rescue her mom after she's been arrest...more
Julie H.
In the sixth entry in the series, Arly must travel to NYC to try to get her friend Ruby Bee off the hook when implicated in a crime that occurs at a cooking contest. (Gotta love those names!)
Melissa
Book #58 read in 2012

This was not the best of the series. It kind of dragged on. And I am finding myself sick of some of the Maggody crew. Will see about continuing the series.
Phhornbuckle
Laugh-out-loud funny in places, especially at first. However, the plot deteriorated from satirical to ridiculous and not even very funny in the conclusion.
Kyrie
I rounded up, because I read this book during a stressful weekend, and I'm not sure I caught all the nuances. It kept me smiling.
Julia
Just when I think I have the plot all figured out, the author throws in an interesting twist. A fun read.
Arlene Richards
I am not a Arley Hank's fan.
This is the second book I have read in this series and it will be my last.

Jan
Not as enjoyable as most of the books in this series, not sure why
Vicki
In NYC Ruby is a finalist in the Koko-Nuts baking contest.
Lee
Typically funny but only so-so mystery.
Larisa
Enjoy the Maggody series
Pat
Arly Hanks
Christine O'grady
Christine O'grady marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Bob Murawski
Bob Murawski marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Heivy
Heivy marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Maggie
Maggie added it
Jun 04, 2014
  • Death in Paradise (Henrie O, #4)
  • Dead Man's Island (Henrie O, #1)
  • Home Fires (Deborah Knott Mysteries #6)
  • Murder Gets A Life (Southern Sisters Mystery, #5)
  • Pasta Imperfect (Passport to Peril, #3)
  • Mum's the Word (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #4)
  • Last Puzzle and Testament (Puzzle Lady, #2)
Joan Hess is the author of both the Claire Malloy and the Maggody mystery series. She is a winner of the American Mystery Award, a member of Sisters in Crime, and a former president of the American Crime Writers League. She lives in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Joan Hess also writes a mystery series under the pseudonym of Joan Hadley.

Series contributed to:
. Crosswinds
. The Year's 25 Finest Crime and Mys...more
More about Joan Hess...
Malice in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #1) Strangled Prose (Claire Malloy, #1) Mischief in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #2) Much Ado in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #3) Martians in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #8)