Start by marking “Maggody in Manhattan (Arly Hanks, #6)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Maggody in Manhattan
Joan Hess

Maggody in Manhattan (Arly Hanks #6)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  559 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Maggody takes on Manhattan in the sixth mystery to feature small-town Police Chief Arly Hanks of down-home Maggody, Arkansas. The spitfire heroine Arly is the freshest female sleuth to come down the pike in a while, and now she is summoned to New York to unravel the mystery behind all the mayhem--including shootings, an ever-growing pile of dead bodies, and a wild-eyed man ...more
Published October 1st 1992 by Dutton Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Maggody in Manhattan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maggody in Manhattan

Always a pleasure to visit Maggody. Although this time several of the denizens were heading to Manhattan to create their own particular brand of trouble.

The mysteries are secondary to the silliness here. Who won't laugh at what Mrs. Jim Bob and Brother Verber get themselves into when they try to wipe out the evils of alcohol and lust? Kevin and Dahlia head off on their honeymoon only to become the prisoners of a criminal (Marvel). Arly goes to Manhattan to rescue her mom after she's been arrest
This was a re-read. Don't know if I don't remember it as good, or because I've been re-reading so many of the Maggody mysteries lately. But, this one doesn't seem to live up to the others. Yes, Ms Hess took the characters out of Maggody, but she didn't take the Maggody out of the characters, which is a good thing, but the plot didn't keep me interested.
Julie H.
In the sixth entry in the series, Arly must travel to NYC to try to get her friend Ruby Bee off the hook when implicated in a crime that occurs at a cooking contest. (Gotta love those names!)
Book #58 read in 2012

This was not the best of the series. It kind of dragged on. And I am finding myself sick of some of the Maggody crew. Will see about continuing the series.
Laugh-out-loud funny in places, especially at first. However, the plot deteriorated from satirical to ridiculous and not even very funny in the conclusion.
I rounded up, because I read this book during a stressful weekend, and I'm not sure I caught all the nuances. It kept me smiling.
Just when I think I have the plot all figured out, the author throws in an interesting twist. A fun read.
Arlene Richards
I am not a Arley Hank's fan.
This is the second book I have read in this series and it will be my last.

Not as enjoyable as most of the books in this series, not sure why
In NYC Ruby is a finalist in the Koko-Nuts baking contest.
Typically funny but only so-so mystery.
Enjoy the Maggody series
Arly Hanks
Marty Layes
Marty Layes marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Tracie Runnels
Tracie Runnels marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Carol added it
Oct 31, 2015
Kate Jordan
Kate Jordan marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Adeline marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Vicki marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
  • Set Sail for Murder (Henrie O, #7)
  • Dead Man's Island (Henrie O, #1)
  • Mum's the Word (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #3)
  • Death in Blue Folders (Sigrid Harald, #3)
  • Murder Makes Waves (Southern Sisters Mystery, #4)
  • Uneasy Relations (Gideon Oliver, #15)
  • Bonnie of Evidence (Passport to Peril, #8)
  • Last Puzzle and Testament (Puzzle Lady, #2)
Joan Hess is the author of both the Claire Malloy and the Maggody mystery series. She is a winner of the American Mystery Award, a member of Sisters in Crime, and a former president of the American Crime Writers League. She lives in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Joan Hess also writes a mystery series under the pseudonym of Joan Hadley.

Series contributed to:
. Crosswinds
. The Year's 25 Finest Crime and Mys
More about Joan Hess...

Arly Hanks (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Malice in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #1)
  • Mischief in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #2)
  • Much Ado in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #3)
  • Madness in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #4)
  • Mortal Remains in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #5)
  • O Little Town of Maggody (Arly Hanks, #7)
  • Martians in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #8)
  • Miracles in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #9)
  • The Maggody Militia (Arly Hanks #10)
  • Misery Loves Maggody (Arly Hanks, #11)