Start by marking “The Wolf in Winter (Charlie Parker, #12)” as Want to Read:
The Wolf in Winter (Charlie Parker, #12)

The Wolf in Winter (Charlie Parker #12)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  1,590 ratings  ·  282 reviews
Prosperous, and the secret that it hides beneath its ruins . . .

The community of Prosperous, Maine has always thrived when others have suffered. Its inhabitants are wealthy, its children's future secure. It shuns outsiders. It guards its own. And at the heart of the Prosperous lie the ruins of an ancient church, transported stone by stone from England centuries earlier by
Published October 28th 2014 by Atria/Emily Bestler Books (first published January 1st 2014)

Bird Box by Josh MalermanThe Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. CareyThe Troop by Nick CutterThe Seance by Jack     RollinsThe Three by Sarah Lotz
Horror Novels in 2014
13th out of 53 books — 59 voters
The Silkworm by Robert GalbraithThe Black-Eyed Blonde by Benjamin BlackThe Burning Room by Michael ConnellyBlue is the Night by Eoin McNameeThe First Rule of Survival by Paul Mendelson
Best Crime Books 2014
9th out of 14 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Colin Leslie
Every time a new Charlie Parker book is released I have mixed feelings. There is, of course, an air of childlike excitement knowing that Santa Connolly is returning down the chimney with your favourite toy but that is mixed with an air of trepidation. You see, the other books in this series have been so good that I never think the next one can surpass them but don't worry children this, the twelfth in the series, is better than ever.

Charlie Parker should be well known to every fan of horror, cri
Paul Nelson
The Charlie Parker series by John Connolly mixes top draw detective fiction with a supernatural darkness, bordering on horror as he wages war on a hidden evil.

The Wolf In Winter is the 12th book of the series and John Connolly while seemingly throwing a suicide and normal missing persons case our way, hints at the end game for Charlie and all that follow him from the shadows.

This time Parker is compelled to throw his considerable force behind investigating the death of a homeless man and the dis
Brandon
The citizens of Prosperous, a small town in the state of Maine, have been a fortunate bunch. Over the years, the town has thrived and its inhabitants have flourished. But when the death of a homeless man and the disappearance of his daughter bring Detective Charlie Parker to town, secrets threaten to come to the surface. Can Parker uncover the truth about Prosperous’ darkness or will he end up like many before him – fed to the town.

Connolly opens the twelfth installment of his acclaimed Charlie
Carole's Random Life
Now Available!

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Atria Books via Net Galley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

3 Stars

It is really my fault. I take full responsibility on this one. I saw this book on Net Galley and thought it would be a great read. It probably was.....to fans of the series. That's right - I thought I could jump into a series on book number 12 and not have any problems. Boy was I ever wrong.

This
Magdalena
Charlie Parker investigates the death of tramp with a missing daughter. And the search takes him to the city Prosperous, a peaceful and affluent little town in Main with an old stone church. But the town has a dark secret and there are people in the city that will do anything to protect the secret.

The story in the book slowly builds up, you get to know the new characters involved and you follow Charlie as he tries to get to the bottom of the case with the dead tramp and his missing daughter. It’
Jon Recluse
John Connolly raises the bar on Dark Fiction every time he puts pen to paper, and the latest Charlie Parker thriller is no exception.
A tale of small town secrets that balances the evil men, and other things, do with true humanity....an honest, heartfelt empathy that is so very rare in the genre.

Highest recommendation/Required reading

Debbie
I practically tore the hands off the postman when this turned up yesterday, and then fell into the alternative universe that John Connolly has created. For those who haven't read the others in the series - buy them, now, so you can catch up! There are 11 others to enjoy, and I envy anyone who gets to read them back to back instead of waiting for the next to come out.

Central character Charlie Parker is one of the most wonderful creations in fiction. I'd say crime fiction - he is an investigator -
Mark
May 05, 2014 Mark rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of brilliant thrillers & John Connolly
Recommended to Mark by: I do not remember but I am in his/her debt
Hell and fury visits a little town called Prosperous, and the secret that it hides beneath its ruins . . .

And all because a homeless man went looking for his daughter and ended up getting hung. The fact that he was known to a certain PI called Charlie Parker was about to become a problem for a nice and peacefull little place called Prosperous. At least that is the driving thought of the towns Eldermen & pastor, even if the towns police chief think they are wrong.

Once again Charlie Parker has
Michelle
It's over. It's finished,done. I'm both content and disappointed I've completed this read. I cannot pretend to always be objective when it come to John Connolly as I have (almost) all his books and have been an avid fan since the first. This may not be the best in the series but it was worth the wait and ensured I will read more. When I saw this in store I snatched it from the shelf clutching it to my chest and smiling ( and possibly snarling and daring anyone to take it from me) looking around ...more
Elizabeth
In all fairness I did read a book that was #12 in a series. I enjoyed the parts that focused on the main mystery but was often confused and disinterested in what is probably a continuing story for the series. I like John Connolly's writing and I would definitely be interested in reading one of his stand alone books.

Really a 2 star rating but since I started with #12 in the series, enjoyed the parts about the mystery, and liked the writing I give this three stars.
11811 (Eleven)
I think I would have enjoyed this more if I had been reading the entire series. I've only read one other and it felt like I missed out on a lot of the series' flow. Everything else about it was good though. (Mostly) self-contained storyline, slick prose, character building, all that other happy crappy.
Colin Murtagh
I'm in two minds about this, I do love my Charlie Parker books, they are amongst the best on the market, but this one just seems to be missing a certain something. To be fair, it's still better than 95% of stuff on the market, but it feels to me more like a place holder. There's a few loose strings tied up, which seems to be incidental to the main story, which gives me the impression that this is a clearing of the decks. I'm wondering if this is the start of something new, a new chapter for Park ...more
Gatorman
Brilliant entry in the Charlie Parker series. Connolly shows again why he is the finest thriller writer alive today, period. If you're a fan of the series, read this one now.
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)

Prosperous, Maine is an interesting little town. The name is a perfect fit, because for ages, they’ve been a town of prosper, and tolerance, and general well-being, and if their little church, the Congregation of Adam Before Eve & Eve Before Adam (brought brick by brick from Northumbria, in England), is a little odd, well, there are always odd little things in small towns, right? Outsiders are not very welcome, and home sales, who leave, who stays and
Kimba
When I was offered an audio of Wolf in Winter by John Connolly, I found myself intrigued by the synopsis. I immediately wanted to know what was happening in Prosperous, Maine. I did not realize at the time that this was the twelfth book in the Charlie Parker thriller series. While I struggled here and there due to the series arc, the heart of the tale dealing with Prosperous was an odd curiosity that kept me intrigued.

Charlie Parker a tenacious, private investigator begins to investigate the dea
Karl
John Connolly has produced another well written fascinating book in his Charlie Parker series. In a book of this size and a series of this length it's a pleasure to see that Mr. Connolly can accomplish as much as he does.

Empathy would be the word I would use to describe the theme of this installment in the Parker saga. Empathy for the homeless of Maine. Empathy for the wild creatures that used to rule the back woods of the state. Empathy for those who have no control of their own lives.

Mr. Conno
Gerhard
All the Charlie Parker thrillers have had a similar pattern of late: standalone thrillers, with the detective and Angel and Louis almost tangential characters, the former studiously hard-assed and doomed, and the latter like a Laurel and Hardy pairing for some often much-needed comic relief (though this time around we get Jewish jokes as well as the inevitable gay jokes).

Then there are a few bones tossed in to appease the overall story arc. The latter has increasingly taken the rather Dickensian
Liz Wilkins
Publication Date: April 10th 2014 from Hodder and Staughton.

Thank you kindly to Ellie Cheele for arranging the copy via Netgalley. You are now one of my favourite people!

The community of Prosperous, Maine has always thrived when others have suffered. Its inhabitants are wealthy, its children’s future secure. It shuns outsiders. It guards its own. And at the heart of the Prosperous lie the ruins of an ancient church, transported stone by stone from England centuries earlier by the founders of the
Ellen
The Charlie Parker series takes a major turn in this book, which actually makes this an ideal place to start the series for anyone who's new to it. The Portland, ME-based private detective takes an assignment from a client who's already died: the homeless man had been saving his money to hire Parker to find his missing daughter. Parker's search leads him to the strange little town of Prosperous, which is thriving despite the recession elsewhere in Maine. Prosperous is the last place anyone saw t ...more
Reeda
There are plenty of story synopsis on this book so I won't get to that here. I just want to say that it was great to get back into the lives of Charlie Parker and his pals and this one did not disappoint. It draws you slowly into the story and builds up to a violent ending that has you wondering where the story will be going after this. I need to know more! Enough said. Don't want to give anything away.

If you are a Charlie Parker fan, you will not be disappointed. If you are new to the series, I
Dave

I've written in this blog before about the fascinating and slow journey John Connelly's Charlie Parker series of novels has taken from detective/psychological horror thrillers to a series that combined the best elements of P.I. Fiction and supernatural horror. It's been a great journey full of creepy cool revelations and fun pay off. Most of the revelations and pay off come in stories involving Parker's battle with the secretive cabal known as The Believers, which are not part of every novel. So
Michael Robotham
Another impressive instalment of the Charlie Parker series - but this one is one for the true fans. Unless the reader is steeped in the background to the 'Believers' and the 'Backers' and the other clandestine characters that surface from previous books, he or she is likely to be a little lost.
Rose
These books! I cannot explain how addictive and well written this series is. I absolutely am never disappointed by Charlie Parker books. John Connolly has added another good one to the list using the theme of small town with malevolent, dark secrets. One of my most disturbing themes is the creepy town that harbors mystery and rituals. I think of harvest home or wicker man, these types of stories get to the creep fast for me and leave me unsettled. Wolf in Winter did that brilliantly.

As Charlie
Connie
Okay....so I should probably start this review by confessing that although this is the twelfth book in the Charlie Parker series, it is actually my very first time reading John Connolly.

However, that doesn't mean I felt lost....it doesn't mean that I believe I could have liked this book any more...it was simply put...brilliant. I was torn between wanting to rush on and finish this one or slinging it aside and starting at book one....It's a new series that I am EXCITED to read more of. This is at
Stephen
I've waited with baited breath for the next instalment of the Charlie Parker series and I trail blazed my way through the novel, finishing it within two days. That's what I love about how John Connolly writes, as he manages to draw the reader into the tale, with minimal effort on his part.

The book itself builds upon the story arc nicely and then changes direction to how I expected the plot to unfold. The anticipation of the final chapters was akin to priming a large firework, before lighting the
Miles
There are a number of guarantees in life and you’ve no doubt heard most of them, I know I have – death, taxes, stamp duty and One Direction the most popular – but you can also add author John Connolly to the mix. Mr Dependant, you can be assured that when you pick up one of his books you are going to be entertained with a gripping story. There’s very little point in me harping on about the story in The Wolf in Winter, but as Senator Vernon Trent (played by William Sadler in the film Hard to Kill ...more
Iris
This is the first book I have read by John Connolly, but will not be the last. I have already bought another of his books about Charlie Parker and company. My only problem with the book was that I had not read the earlier books and had no background to Parker's friends and enemies.
The book is mystery and horror set mostly in Maine. Connolly makes you believe that this world could actually exist, and that is very scary. Highly recommended.
Nev Murray
Number 12 in the series and I have to say, in my opinion, one of the best.

Surprisingly Mr Parker sort of takes a back seat in this story as it revolves around a town called Prosperous. It's a town with its own way of doing things and its own rules. It's steeped in history and mystery but none of it is good, even if you are part of that history.

Everything that goes on there is connected to Charlie and it all kicks off big style with old favourites Louis and Angel playing a bigger part than in the
Victoria
At long last, I am finally reading the twelfth book in the Charlie Parker series! I originally planned on reading this one on the day that it first arrived last month, but the lateness of the mail led to me to instead finally do what I have been planning on doing for a few years now - re-reading the series consecutively from Every Dead Thing to this latest volume. And, wow, I have ever enjoyed that - it certainly amplified my anticipation for this one!

And Connolly wastes no time in answering one
Maxine
Prosperous, a small town in Maine, lives up to its name. While the rest of the country is still in the grips of recession, Prosperous remains relatively unscathed as it always has. However, this prosperity comes with a price tag, one they have kept a secret for centuries. When the daughter of a homeless man goes missing and later he appears to have committed suicide after searching for her in Prosperous, one of his friends asks Charlie Parker to investigate. Despite all of their protests of inno ...more
John Connolly Books 1 5 Mar 20, 2015 07:37AM
Advanced Reader Copy 2 38 Dec 17, 2014 10:33AM
A new mystery gen...: What about a Gothic tale with ruins of a dark, old church? 1 24 Feb 18, 2014 05:10AM
  • Code Zero (Joe Ledger, #6)
  • Shark Skin Suite (Serge Storms, #18)
  • Pandemic (Infected, #3)
  • Sorrow Bound (Aector McAvoy, #3)
  • Wolf (Jack Caffery, #7)
  • The Cold Nowhere (Jonathan Stride, #6)
  • Cop Town
  • The Bones Beneath (Tom Thorne, #12)
  • Peter Pan Must Die: A Novel (Dave Gurney, #4)
  • The Shut Eye
  • Aftershock: A Thriller (Aftershock, #1)
  • The Skeleton Road
  • The Bone Orchard (Mike Bowditch, #5)
  • Let it Burn (Alex McKnight, #10)
  • Summer of the Dead (Bell Elkins, #3)
  • Voodoo Ridge (A Cordell Logan Mystery, #3)
  • The Killing Club
  • Overlord (Event Group Thriller #9)
John Connolly was born in Dublin, Ireland in 1968 and has, at various points in his life, worked as a journalist, a barman, a local government official, a waiter and a dogsbody at Harrods department store in London. He studied English in Trinity College, Dublin and journalism at Dublin City University, subsequently spending five years working as a freelance journalist for The Irish Times newspaper ...more
More about John Connolly...

Charlie Parker (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Every Dead Thing (Charlie Parker, #1)
  • Dark Hollow (Charlie Parker, #2)
  • The Killing Kind (Charlie Parker, #3)
  • The White Road (Charlie Parker, #4)
  • The Black Angel (Charlie Parker, #5)
  • The Unquiet (Charlie Parker, #6)
  • The Reapers (Charlie Parker, #7)
  • The Lovers (Charlie Parker, #8)
  • The Whisperers (Charlie Parker, #9)
  • The Burning Soul (Charlie Parker, #10)
The Book of Lost Things Every Dead Thing (Charlie Parker, #1) The Gates (Samuel Johnson, #1) The Killing Kind (Charlie Parker, #3) Dark Hollow (Charlie Parker, #2)

“He was trying to put loss into words, but loss is absence and will always defy expression.” 4 likes
“Know a man by his metaphors.” 2 likes