Start by marking “The Wolf in Winter (Charlie Parker, #12)” as Want to Read:
The Wolf in Winter (Charlie Parker, #12)

The Wolf in Winter (Charlie Parker #12)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  2,490 ratings  ·  385 reviews
The next pulse-pounding thriller in John Connolly's internationally bestselling Charlie Parker series.

The community of Prosperous, Maine has always thrived when others have suffered. Its inhabitants are wealthy, its children’s future secure. It shuns outsiders. It guards its own. And at the heart of Prosperous lie the ruins of an ancient church, transported stone by stone
Published October 28th 2014 by Atria/Emily Bestler Books (first published January 1st 2014)

Bird Box by Josh MalermanThe Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. CareyThe Troop by Nick CutterThe Seance by Jack     RollinsThe Three by Sarah Lotz
Horror Novels in 2014
14th out of 49 books — 89 voters
The Silkworm by Robert GalbraithThe Black-Eyed Blonde by Benjamin BlackIrène by Pierre LemaitreThe Burning Room by Michael ConnellyThe Wolf in Winter by John Connolly
Best Crime Books 2014
5th out of 14 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Paul Nelson
The Charlie Parker series by John Connolly mixes top draw detective fiction with a supernatural darkness, bordering on horror as he wages war on a hidden evil.

The Wolf In Winter is the 12th book of the series and John Connolly while seemingly throwing a suicide and normal missing persons case our way, hints at the end game for Charlie and all that follow him from the shadows.

This time Parker is compelled to throw his considerable force behind investigating the death of a homeless man and the dis
Colin Leslie
Every time a new Charlie Parker book is released I have mixed feelings. There is, of course, an air of childlike excitement knowing that Santa Connolly is returning down the chimney with your favourite toy but that is mixed with an air of trepidation. You see, the other books in this series have been so good that I never think the next one can surpass them but don't worry children this, the twelfth in the series, is better than ever.

Charlie Parker should be well known to every fan of horror, cri
Another brilliant book from John Connolly in the Charlie Parker series. This one gets pretty spooky with the return of Susan and his first daughter and some interesting supernatural being which lives under the churchyard and has to be fed with young girls. I love Charlie but I also enjoy seeing Angel and Louis doing their thing and they have quite a large section of this book all to themselves so I was very happy. It was one of those books that I didn't want to end because I was enjoying it so m ...more
This book was awesome and in my opinion, the BEST entry in the series so far. If you love Charlie Parker, you need to read this. If you're not reading the Charlie Parker series, you should be!
The citizens of Prosperous, a small town in the state of Maine, have been a fortunate bunch. Over the years, the town has thrived and its inhabitants have flourished. But when the death of a homeless man and the disappearance of his daughter bring Detective Charlie Parker to town, secrets threaten to come to the surface. Can Parker uncover the truth about Prosperous’ darkness or will he end up like many before him – fed to the town.

Connolly opens the twelfth installment of his acclaimed Charlie
Charlie Parker investigates the death of tramp with a missing daughter. And the search takes him to the city Prosperous, a peaceful and affluent little town in Main with an old stone church. But the town has a dark secret and there are people in the city that will do anything to protect the secret.

The story in the book slowly builds up, you get to know the new characters involved and you follow Charlie as he tries to get to the bottom of the case with the dead tramp and his missing daughter. It’
Carole (Carole's Random Life)
Now Available!

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Atria Books via Net Galley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

3 Stars

It is really my fault. I take full responsibility on this one. I saw this book on Net Galley and thought it would be a great read. It probably fans of the series. That's right - I thought I could jump into a series on book number 12 and not have any problems. Boy was I ever wrong.

There is something evil (view spoiler) in the town of Prosperous and Detective Charlie Parker is on to it....

This killer of a crime-mystery with a touch of supernatural really grabbed my attention at the get-go.......unfortunately, I did not realize it was the 12th book in a series and a few significant characters from the past made for a bit of confusion throughout the last half of the book.

So.......while I liked the writing, Detective Parker's character and thought

Jon Recluse
John Connolly raises the bar on Dark Fiction every time he puts pen to paper, and the latest Charlie Parker thriller is no exception.
A tale of small town secrets that balances the evil men, and other things, do with true honest, heartfelt empathy that is so very rare in the genre.

Highest recommendation/Required reading

Jude, un vagabundo que busca a su hija desaparecida, termina dando con un pueblo con el esclarecedor nombre de Prosperous, en Maine, algo que le llevará a su muerte, que se hace pasar por suicidio. Y es aquí donde entra en juego el detective Charlie Parker, ya que Jude tenía intención de contratar los servicios de Parker para buscar a la joven. Parker, que no está nada convencido del suicidio de su amigo, seguirá sus propias pistas para dar con Prosperous, donde no será nada bien recibido.

‘El in
I practically tore the hands off the postman when this turned up yesterday, and then fell into the alternative universe that John Connolly has created. For those who haven't read the others in the series - buy them, now, so you can catch up! There are 11 others to enjoy, and I envy anyone who gets to read them back to back instead of waiting for the next to come out.

Central character Charlie Parker is one of the most wonderful creations in fiction. I'd say crime fiction - he is an investigator -
There is a presence of perfect and profound hostility in the town of Prosperous. A malevolent hunger given form. And it needs to be fed.

There is all kinds of crazy shit going down in this one and all of my favorite characters are back in the mix. It’s getting heavy up in here and I have a feeling it’s about to blow. Best series around. I am looking forward to the next one for sure.
I finally picked this up a few weeks ago in a charity shop for 2. It was sad, but that's what this series had become for me. Just another of those you eventually get round to but from which you expect very little. A chance to catch up with the characters and nothing more. It had been hard to let go but I hadn't truly enjoyed the series since The Unquiet, and that's about 6 books ago. It felt like it had lost it's magic. Considering I still have my copy of Every Dead Thing (that i bought in 1999) ...more
It's over. It's finished,done. I'm both content and disappointed I've completed this read. I cannot pretend to always be objective when it come to John Connolly as I have (almost) all his books and have been an avid fan since the first. This may not be the best in the series but it was worth the wait and ensured I will read more. When I saw this in store I snatched it from the shelf clutching it to my chest and smiling ( and possibly snarling and daring anyone to take it from me) looking around ...more
May 05, 2014 Mark rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of brilliant thrillers & John Connolly
Recommended to Mark by: I do not remember but I am in his/her debt
Hell and fury visits a little town called Prosperous, and the secret that it hides beneath its ruins . . .

And all because a homeless man went looking for his daughter and ended up getting hung. The fact that he was known to a certain PI called Charlie Parker was about to become a problem for a nice and peacefull little place called Prosperous. At least that is the driving thought of the towns Eldermen & pastor, even if the towns police chief think they are wrong.

Once again Charlie Parker has
In all fairness I did read a book that was #12 in a series. I enjoyed the parts that focused on the main mystery but was often confused and disinterested in what is probably a continuing story for the series. I like John Connolly's writing and I would definitely be interested in reading one of his stand alone books.

Really a 2 star rating but since I started with #12 in the series, enjoyed the parts about the mystery, and liked the writing I give this three stars.
Trev Twinem
John Connolly is a brilliant author and with his creation Charlie Parker has produced one of the most complete series of books ever published. This is the 12th outing for our great hero/ private detective and in this taut tale he is drawn to the town or Prosperous in an attempt to find what really happened to Annie Broyer. Annie’s estranged father Jude, living on the streets, has amassed the princely sum of $100+ that he hoped would entice the detective to help Charlie’s own words that ...more
Colin Murtagh
I'm in two minds about this, I do love my Charlie Parker books, they are amongst the best on the market, but this one just seems to be missing a certain something. To be fair, it's still better than 95% of stuff on the market, but it feels to me more like a place holder. There's a few loose strings tied up, which seems to be incidental to the main story, which gives me the impression that this is a clearing of the decks. I'm wondering if this is the start of something new, a new chapter for Park ...more
11811 (Eleven)
I think I would have enjoyed this more if I had been reading the entire series. I've only read one other and it felt like I missed out on a lot of the series' flow. Everything else about it was good though. (Mostly) self-contained storyline, slick prose, character building, all that other happy crappy.
Brilliant entry in the Charlie Parker series. Connolly shows again why he is the finest thriller writer alive today, period. If you're a fan of the series, read this one now.
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)

Prosperous, Maine is an interesting little town. The name is a perfect fit, because for ages, they’ve been a town of prosper, and tolerance, and general well-being, and if their little church, the Congregation of Adam Before Eve & Eve Before Adam (brought brick by brick from Northumbria, in England), is a little odd, well, there are always odd little things in small towns, right? Outsiders are not very welcome, and home sales, who leave, who stays and
John Connolly has produced another well written fascinating book in his Charlie Parker series. In a book of this size and a series of this length it's a pleasure to see that Mr. Connolly can accomplish as much as he does.

Empathy would be the word I would use to describe the theme of this installment in the Parker saga. Empathy for the homeless of Maine. Empathy for the wild creatures that used to rule the back woods of the state. Empathy for those who have no control of their own lives.

Mr. Conno
All the Charlie Parker thrillers have had a similar pattern of late: standalone thrillers, with the detective and Angel and Louis almost tangential characters, the former studiously hard-assed and doomed, and the latter like a Laurel and Hardy pairing for some often much-needed comic relief (though this time around we get Jewish jokes as well as the inevitable gay jokes).

Then there are a few bones tossed in to appease the overall story arc. The latter has increasingly taken the rather Dickensian
Liz Barnsley
Publication Date: April 10th 2014 from Hodder and Staughton.

Thank you kindly to Ellie Cheele for arranging the copy via Netgalley. You are now one of my favourite people!

The community of Prosperous, Maine has always thrived when others have suffered. Its inhabitants are wealthy, its children’s future secure. It shuns outsiders. It guards its own. And at the heart of the Prosperous lie the ruins of an ancient church, transported stone by stone from England centuries earlier by the founders of the
The Charlie Parker series takes a major turn in this book, which actually makes this an ideal place to start the series for anyone who's new to it. The Portland, ME-based private detective takes an assignment from a client who's already died: the homeless man had been saving his money to hire Parker to find his missing daughter. Parker's search leads him to the strange little town of Prosperous, which is thriving despite the recession elsewhere in Maine. Prosperous is the last place anyone saw t ...more
Mientras Leo
Una muy buena historia. El mejor Connolly
Más aquí
Gloria Feit
Reading a Charlie Parker novel, or anything written by John Connolly, one finds not only a traditional mystery, but much more: fantasy, history, legend, and clean prose. All that and then some is present in this, the 12th novel in the series

As far as a simple mystery plot is concerned, Charlie is enticed into finding a missing daughter of a homeless man, a friend; the young woman apparently is an ex-drug addict attempting to pull herself together. The story is that she supposedly received a job
When I was offered an audio of Wolf in Winter by John Connolly, I found myself intrigued by the synopsis. I immediately wanted to know what was happening in Prosperous, Maine. I did not realize at the time that this was the twelfth book in the Charlie Parker thriller series. While I struggled here and there due to the series arc, the heart of the tale dealing with Prosperous was an odd curiosity that kept me intrigued.

Charlie Parker a tenacious, private investigator begins to investigate the dea
Connie I should probably start this review by confessing that although this is the twelfth book in the Charlie Parker series, it is actually my very first time reading John Connolly.

However, that doesn't mean I felt doesn't mean that I believe I could have liked this book any was simply put...brilliant. I was torn between wanting to rush on and finish this one or slinging it aside and starting at book one....It's a new series that I am EXCITED to read more of. This is at
There are plenty of story synopsis on this book so I won't get to that here. I just want to say that it was great to get back into the lives of Charlie Parker and his pals and this one did not disappoint. It draws you slowly into the story and builds up to a violent ending that has you wondering where the story will be going after this. I need to know more! Enough said. Don't want to give anything away.

If you are a Charlie Parker fan, you will not be disappointed. If you are new to the series, I
John Connolly Books 1 13 Mar 20, 2015 07:37AM
Advanced Reader Copy 2 41 Dec 17, 2014 10:33AM
A new mystery gen...: What about a Gothic tale with ruins of a dark, old church? 1 25 Feb 18, 2014 05:10AM
  • Cuba Straits (Doc Ford, #22)
  • The Oracle Code (Thomas Lourds, #4)
  • Time of Death (Tom Thorne,#13)
  • The Vampire Files, Volume 2 (Vampire Files, #4-6)
  • The Shadow of the Soul (The Dog-Faced Gods, #2)
  • The Precipice: A Novel (Mike Bowditch, #6)
  • The Hangman's Song (Inspector McLean, #3)
  • The Ultimatum (Jeremy Fisk #3)
  • Let it Burn (Alex McKnight, #10)
  • Crucifixion Creek (Belltree Trilogy #1)
  • Stage Whispers: The Collected Timmy Quinn Stories
  • Where the Devil Can't Go (Kiszka and Kershaw, #1)
  • Signal (Sam Dryden, #2)
  • The Three-Nine Line (A Cordell Logan Mystery, #4)
  • The Good Suicides (Inspector Salgado #2)
  • The Mask (Vanessa Michael Munroe, #5)
  • The Killing Room (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #6)
  • Overlord (Event Group Thriller #9)
John Connolly was born in Dublin, Ireland in 1968 and has, at various points in his life, worked as a journalist, a barman, a local government official, a waiter and a dogsbody at Harrods department store in London. He studied English in Trinity College, Dublin and journalism at Dublin City University, subsequently spending five years working as a freelance journalist for The Irish Times newspaper ...more
More about John Connolly...

Charlie Parker (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Every Dead Thing (Charlie Parker, #1)
  • Dark Hollow (Charlie Parker, #2)
  • The Killing Kind (Charlie Parker, #3)
  • The White Road (Charlie Parker, #4)
  • The Black Angel (Charlie Parker, #5)
  • The Unquiet (Charlie Parker, #6)
  • The Reapers (Charlie Parker, #7)
  • The Lovers (Charlie Parker, #8)
  • The Whisperers (Charlie Parker, #9)
  • The Burning Soul (Charlie Parker, #10)

“He was trying to put loss into words, but loss is absence and will always defy expression.” 5 likes
“Know a man by his metaphors.” 3 likes