Start by marking “Phoenix Island (Phoenix Island, #1)” as Want to Read:
Phoenix Island (Phoenix Island, #1)

Phoenix Island (Phoenix Island #1)

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  1,293 Ratings  ·  340 Reviews
The judge told Carl that one day he'd have to decide exactly what kind of person he would become. But on Phoenix Island, the choice will be made for him.

A champion boxer with a sharp hook and a short temper, sixteen-year-old Carl Freeman has been shuffled from foster home to foster home. He can't seem to stay out of trouble, using his fists to defend weaker classmates from
Published January 7th 2014 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Phoenix Island, please sign up.

Phoenix Island by John  DixonThe Skinsticher's Apprentice by Claribel OrtegaInto the Still Blue by Veronica RossiHollow City by Ransom RiggsEvertrue by Brodi Ashton
YA Books - Publishing January 2014
1st out of 71 books — 76 voters
YA Novels of 2014
228th out of 1,538 books — 8,948 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh (the Grinch)
Jan 22, 2014 Khanh (the Grinch) rated it really liked it
Recommended to Khanh (the Grinch) by: Rose
Actual rating: 3.5
They can shoot me through the bars of this sweatbox or hang me from the flagpole or throw me to the sharks, but they cannot make me cry or beg. I will not show them weakness. I will stay strong. If they kill me, they will remember my strength; I will force them to live with the memory of my strength forever.
And if I live, I will escape from Phoenix Island, and I will tell the world. I will bring these people down.
There is no room for pussies on Phoenix Island.

This book is rem
Anne
One of the things that drew my interest to this title was that CBS based their new television series, Intelligence, on it before the book was even released. But from what I've seen of the trailers for the show, it has very little to do with the story it was based on. It seems to me as though they just took one tiny idea out of the book, and came up with something entirely different. I'm not saying that to be condescending, just to warn you that you won't be reading a CIA/spy thriller if you deci ...more
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Jan 21, 2014 Stacia (the 2010 club) rated it liked it
Recommends it for: younger teen boys and haters of mainstream romantic dystopia
"Welcome to the post-human age."

It's the Marines meets Maze Runner meets Unwind meets Fight Club (the cover even reminds me of the FC cover) meets some weird version of The Island of Dr. Moreau/Jurassic Park (without the animals) mashup - in this book's version of "it really sucks to go to juvvie."

The show Beyond Scared Straight would probably love to have some of Phoenix Island's tactics at their disposal.

I'm itching to shelve this book as horror lite, but I'll go with science fiction and
Rose
Initial reaction: Very nicely plotted action/adventure thriller. I'll admit it kept me on the edge of my toes many times wondering what would happen and some of the scenes were deliciously dark, despite a few pacing issues. Nonetheless, this will certainly make an interesting jumping point for the TV series that's based on it. I enjoyed the read.

Full review:

John Dixon's "Phoenix Island" took me by surprise in terms of how immersive and enthralling an adventure it portrayed. The story centers on
Faye, la Patata
Jan 14, 2014 Faye, la Patata rated it really liked it
Okay, I admit it. The unimpressive cover aside, Phoenix Island hooked me line and sinker with its blurb that just screams Danger! Conspiracies! Evil governments! Kids running for survival! Underdog Triumphing All! Bootcamp of doom!You see, my insatiable thirst for these themes all started with a particular manga calledDeadman Wonderland, where a group of people (some kids) are put into a shady government facility for their crimes. One of these people is a young boy who was falsely accused of mur ...more
Nina
I'm tempted to give it five stars. Very tempted. But the elated, hyper feeling a book can leave you with at the end is not the only thing that counts, and this one had moments and elements that didn't quite convince me.
Overall, though, it's fucking awesome.

Carl's story is terrifying and uplifting, hopeful and horribly dark.
It's a story of survival against all odds, courage and pride.
It's a "boys' story", the kind of thing I tend to avoid because of the (mistaken) idea that they don't have the ki
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*

This book blends in shades of Lord of the Flies, Mad Scientists and Bootcamp. Carl is a orphaned teen who just cannot stay out of trouble. He does fight for the underdog. If he sees someone being bullied he can't help himself. (boxing champion) He even takes out an entire football team for bullying a kid he didn't even know. He ends up in court again after many encounters and is given "bootcamp" at Phoenix Island. No outside contact with foster family at all, no emails, no phone calls, nothing.
Nick Cato
Nov 09, 2013 Nick Cato rated it it was amazing
Sixteen year-old boxing champ (and orphan) Carl Freeman is the type of guy who likes to stick up for the weaker kids against bullies: he has a sense of justice handed down from his father but as noble as it is, he often goes overboard and gets into trouble. After too many instances (taking out an entire football team single-handedly now pushing the limit), a judge takes Carl away from his current foster home and sentences him to Phoenix Island, a military-style boot camp designed to straighten-o ...more
Ömer
Sep 19, 2016 Ömer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jon
Dec 20, 2013 Jon rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Check out Scott Reads It!

I'll be honest the main reason I wanted to read Phoenix Island was because I had heard it was the inspiration for CBS's Intelligence. If I hadn't heard about Intelligence, this book probably wouldn't have landed on my radar. Despite the fact that it's been published by an adult imprint (Gallery Books), Phoenix Island is definitely a YA novel. Phoenix Island is just as clever and inventive as The Lord Of The Flies and The Maze Runner; this is one of the most intense d
Zeynep Derya (Zeynep's Library)
*3,5 stars*

Psikopatça taraflarıyla kendini bi tık daha sevdirdi kitap. Böyle ölümüne manyak bi kitap falan değildi, sadece bazı kısımları "öğk" dedirtti bana. (aklıma geldi yine bi midem bulandı)

Konusu bakımından özgündü diyemeyeceğim sanırım çünkü çok alıştık sanki böyle adaya bırakılmalara, biçare kalmalara falan... Bu seferki askeri kamp kıvamında bir adaydı ve bilim kurguyu da içinde barındıran tarafları vardı. Belki o yönden bi özgünlük var diyebiliriz.

Bana kalırsa gayet akıcı bir kitaptı.
Matt
Jan 08, 2014 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This is a thrilling, fast-paced novel. John Dixon does a great job telling an intriguing story with unexpected twists that had me wondering what would happen next throughout the entire book. This is exceedingly well written with an impressive cast of characters and fantastic imagery. The characters, settings, and situations are described so well it is easy to imagine exactly what these people and places are like.

At times I couldn’t tell who the enemy was. I found myself going back and forth on a
Benoit Lelievre
Jan 18, 2014 Benoit Lelievre rated it really liked it
My reading of PHOENIX ISLAND quickly turned into a moral dilemma. As it is often the case when I read Young Adult fiction, I objected the Shakespearean treatment of adolescent issues but the writing of John Dixon has two quirks that most YA fiction novels don't have:

1) It is highly aware that adolescence is a period where everybody dramatizes everything.

and

2) It delivers wicked, entertaining story, which should be the main purpose of every novel.

PHOENIX ISLAND puts its protagonist, teenage orpha
F. Paul
Apr 23, 2015 F. Paul rated it really liked it
I read this a couple of years ago in galleys and gave it an enthusiastic blurb: "Lord of the Flies meets Wolverine and Cool Hand Luke. A tribute to the indomitable human spirit that challenges the mob and chooses values over expediency."
Ellen Gail
I'm abandoning ship at 40%. There are so many better books I could be reading and I just can't with this one.

Phoenix Island is the story of Carl, a junior boxing champ who is sent away to a hardcore boot camp called, you guessed it, Phoenix Island. It's his very last chance before he lands himself in grownup prison. Unfortunately Phoenix Island turns out to be less of a camp & more of a secretive, brutal military dumping ground for orphans.

There are three central reasons why I don't think Ph
Sarah Marie
Phoenix Island by John Dixon

First in the Phoenix Island series

3 stars

Carl is sixteen years old and he has been in plenty enough trouble in his short life time. When he finds himself in court again the judge sentences him to Phoenix Island. Phoenix Island will reform him and it’s the place where orphans who also happen to be delinquents are sent. There are a lot of strange things going on at Phoenix Island and it’s up to Carl to save his friends and figure out the dark secrets surrounding the isl

Maria V. Snyder
Jan 18, 2014 Maria V. Snyder rated it it was amazing
A great book! Full of action and suspense and characters that you can care about. The plot made sense and the ending was perfect for the story (and those that have read my reviews, know this is something I rarely say!). It's YA book, but adults would like it as well. This book is the creative inspiration for the TV show Intelligence on CBS - the show is not like the book at all as they changed the main protagonists age, name and who he is working for, but the tech is the same.

The main character,
Brenda
When Carl Freeman’s policeman father was shot by a criminal, and forced to endure the rest of his life in a wheelchair, along with needing full time care from Carl and his mother, then Carl’s mother died of cancer, something broke in Carl. Feeling the need to protect his father, protect the underdog even when he didn’t know him, caused Carl far more trouble than he should have had to endure in his short life. So by the time he was sixteen years of age, his father had died, he had found his outle ...more
Maxine
Dec 21, 2013 Maxine rated it it was amazing
Sixteen-year-old Carl is an orphan with a talent for fighting and a hatred for bullies. As a result, he finds himself arrested for assault (not for the first time) and is sentenced to Phoenix Island, a boot camp for young delinquents, until the age of eighteen. But Carl soon begins to have doubts about this camp. For one thing, no one seems to know where it’s located; for another, all of the kids are orphans like himself.

Still, Carl is determined to make the best of a very bad situation even af
Mel
I must admit that the reason I requested Phoenix Island for review was because I had seen previews for Intelligence, the upcoming show the book inspired. See based on the book blurb, Phoenix Island isn't exactly my cup of tea. For one I'm not big on young adult books and if I do read something in the genre, it's urban fantasy or paranormal romance. Phoenix Island is neither of those things but I took a chance because I was intrigued. Boy am I glad I took that chance.

Phoenix Island was emotionall
Eureca Laurice
Feb 25, 2014 Eureca Laurice rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopian, hey-ya
Phoenix Island

An overwhelming book filled with anxiety of does it going to have a sequel or what, full of actions and alot more.

Why you wouldn't want this (but believe me, you are so going to love it)
- It is predictable.
- It is weak on romance part I actually hated Octavia at first.
- Their age was doubtful at times.

Why you wanted to read this:
- It is predictable though the result always exceeds my expectations.
- You don't need the romance in here.
- Their age was doubtful at times but they are a
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Είναι καλογραμμένο, το κείμενο είναι κατανοητό και βατό χωρίς να γίνεται "φτηνό" και η ιστορία διατηρεί μια σταθερή πορεία εξέλιξης, χωρίς να κάνει κοιλιά ή να αφήνει κενά ή να δημιουργεί απορίες που μένουν άλυτες. Είναι με άλλα λόγια, πολύ ειλικρινές και ξεκάθαρο ως κείμενο και περνάει πολύ ωραία μηνύματα σχετικά με το builing, της οικογενειακής κακοποίησης και όχι μόνο.
Ο Carl είναι τόσο αξιαγάπητος χαρακτήρας που δεν μπορείς να μην δεθείς μαζί του... είναι αδύνατον!!! Μοιράζεσαι τα άγχη και τι
Bracken
Jan 07, 2014 Bracken rated it it was amazing
John Dixon comes out of his corner fast and hits hard! This book will have you seeing stars. Dixon tells the tale of Carl Freeman, a kid with anger management issues and a delinquent record who has just been given his last chance at rehabilitation. Or so he thinks. In reality, he is a lost boy before he even reaches the island.

It's hard to resist comparing Phoenix Island with other works like Papillon, Lord of the Flies, and--with a touch of military sci fi--maybe even a little bit of 007, but
Dianne
Gritty, dark, magnetic! Phoenix Island by John Dixon takes crime and punishment and delivers a twisted knock-out punch that will leave you reeling long after that last page is finished! Carl Freeman is a sixteen-year-old orphan who has been bounced around the system “we” have designed to protect children like him. His temper often gets the best of him, but his intentions are good, as he repeatedly stand up to bullying with his fists, making his juvenile record as thick as Webster’s Dictionary, w ...more
Vera
Sep 09, 2016 Vera rated it really liked it
Şimdi oturdum bloga da yazısını giriyorum.
Genel olarak fikrimi söylemem gerekirse; okurken çok beğendim,konusu,yazarın dili gayet akıcıydı.Bitirirken de heyecanla okudum.Ama tamamiyle bittirdikten ve zaman geçtikten sonra aklımda kalan düşünce "eh" oldu.
Okunabilinir bir kitap.
Hatta okurken sizi baya sürükler.
Sadece bu türü seviyorsanız.
Yorum http://ruyakitaplik.blogspot.com.tr/2...
Moon
Wow, this is a really great book! I didn't do much yesterday besides read this book.

This book is about a 16 year boy. His parents have both died, and he has been bounced around from foster home to foster home. Getting into trouble for fighting in every placement. They send him to Phoenix Island, a bootcamp for wayward children, he is told. Then things get wacky and the action starts.

This book is exciting from start to end. Good job John Dixon!
 photo iDg9OU66rtDwC.gif

*I received this book in exchange for an honest rev
İnci Puyan
Sep 22, 2016 İnci Puyan rated it it was amazing

Ne kitaptı ama...

İtiraf ediyorum başlarken böyle bir kurgunun beni bekleyeceğini tahmim bile etmedim ki edemezdim de. Dehşet bir hayal gücü... şok edici bir olay döngüsü... tatmin edici detaylar... hayret edici bir dünya...

Şu kitabın aon bölümünü okuduktan sonra şüphesiz 2. kitap çevrilmiş olsa sabah işe gidecek olmamı önemsemez sabahlar okurdum.

Go Kitap, ikinci kitap için bekletmeyin bizi, n'olur...

Kitabın konusuna gitmeyeceğim çünkü arka kapak yazısı faz
John Harvey
Aug 03, 2015 John Harvey rated it really liked it
“Phoenix Island” by John Dixon an Action-Packed Adventure

John Dixon’s “Phoenix Island” is a compelling first-in-series novel for many reasons, but perhaps the most prominent is its ability to effectively straddle the adult and young-adult (YA) reading market. I’ve read several YA novels where I was led to believe that the author pulled off this feat, only to discover that the validity of the claim ranged from a bit off the mark to entirely fanciful. That didn’t make them bad books, but they didn
Matt Schwartz
Dec 04, 2013 Matt Schwartz rated it it was amazing
Unbelievably terrific debut, well suited for adults and teens alike. Breakneck pace, great dialogue, smart as hell. Go for it. You won't regret it.
Stealthilicious Stacie
Mar 18, 2014 Stealthilicious Stacie rated it really liked it
Received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Holy crap I think it's going to be a while before my heart stops racing. I don't even know where to start. This was disturbing, action packed, thought provoking and at times incredibly disgusting (there is a scene with bugs that made me want to hurl). The author wrote so descriptively that I felt like I was there with Carl and frankly, I didn't want to be. I see how they got a tv show from this story but after reading about the tv show, I
  • Hero Worship
  • Georgetown Academy: Book Four
  • Minders
  • Pandemic
  • Control (Shift, #2)
  • End Times
  • Fabrick (The Fabrick Weavers, #1)
  • Fixer (The Ustari Cycle, #0.5)
  • Torn   (Randall Shane, #3)
  • SEAL Survival Guide: A Navy SEAL's Secrets to Surviving Any Disaster
  • Wordless (Words Made Flesh, #1)
  • Nice Guys Bite (Elemental Assassin, #15.5)
  • The Fixer (Mort Grant, #1)
  • Illusive (Illusive, #1)
  • I Am the Mission (The Unknown Assassin, #2)
  • The Nameless Dead
  • dotwav
  • Georgetown Academy: Book Three
John Dixon's debut novel, PHOENIX ISLAND, won the Bram Stoker Award and inspired the CBS TV series INTELLIGENCE. The sequel, DEVIL'S POCKET, comes out August 4th, 2015, from Simon & Schuster / Gallery Books.

A former boxer, teacher, and stone mason, John now writes full time. He lives in West Chester, PA, with his wife, Christina, and their freeloading pets. When not reading or writing, he obs
More about John Dixon...

Phoenix Island (2 books)
  • Devil's Pocket (Phoenix Island, #2)

“John F. Kennedy. ‘Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.’ ” 3 likes
“He should have let go of what he wanted to happen and taken a good look at what was really happening and done something about it.” 1 likes