Start by marking “Suicide Risk Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Suicide Risk Vol. 2

Suicide Risk Vol. 2 (Suicide Risk #2)

Even when there are only villains, being a hero makes you a...

When super-powered bad guys inexplicably appeared in the world, the world was unprepared. In the face of heroes and humans alike dying at the hands of the rising tide of supervillains, beat cop Leo Winters did what he had to to fight back: he got super powers.Now barely able to grasp the unexpected turn his life
Published March 11th 2014 by BOOM! Studios (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Suicide Risk Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suicide Risk Vol. 2

Lono
Sep 17, 2014 Lono rated it really liked it
Mike Carey really amps it the hell up in Suicide Risk Vol 2. I had a suspicion towards the end of the Suicide Risk Vol. 1 I was gonna like this one and I do. This volume contains issues 5 through 9 and is a really quick read.

The first issue contained is an origin tale for a new character in the story named Ada. Joelle Jones handled the art chores in this one and I likey. I’m sure Ada’s gonna end up being real important later in the story. The next 4 issues focused on our “hero”, Leo Winters, and
Mike
This went nowhere I expected, based on the premise at the end of the last book. Separate storylines, various discoveries of powers and plans - more supes and bad deeds, so this is shaping up again.

It would be terrible if they were all Bond villains - and one is, to be sure - but others are a lot more...relatable and worth getting to know. Even the one-off story in the first issue - she's an interesting or at least well-described character with an easy-to-grant-her-revenge-story origin.

Leo gets
Angela
Apr 29, 2014 Angela rated it it was amazing
Suicide Risk is my new favorite thing in comics. With it, Mike Carey has upended the traditional superhero genre to create something new and interesting. Super powers are bought on an illegal substance-like black market, gifted by a powerful control rod of unknown origin.

But here’s the catch: these supervillains and heroes don’t have origin stories or tragic takes of woe. What they have instead is a mysterious and possibly alien past life which they (and the reader) see only in flashes and glimp
Trebro
Mar 29, 2015 Trebro rated it liked it
Things really get rolling here, as Carey starts to expand out the world and takes us on a journey to the truth of what's actually happening. The reveal here is shocking, and shows just how good Carey is at a) surprising a reader and b) being willing to take his characters into corners that others might fear to tread. There's a lot to like here, including the introduction of a world that's so much larger conceptually than we were first led to believe in volume 1.

Casagrande's art continues to be p
Fantifica
Nov 17, 2015 Fantifica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cómic, superhéroes
Reseña de Lorenzo Martínez · Nota: 8,5 · Reseña en Fantífica

En el primer volumen recopilatorio de Riesgo suicida Mike Carey nos planteaba la posibilidad de que los superhéroes tuvieran sus capacidades gracias al mercado negro, lo que abre un sinfín de posibilidades en un mundo en el que existen los superpoderes. ¿Puede una ama de casa convertirse de la noche a la mañana en una superheroína o una supervillana? ¿O un oficinista cansado de su rutina acudir a un traficante de poderes y pagar para qu
Miguel
Mar 15, 2015 Miguel rated it liked it
This second volume of Suicide Risk stumbles a bit toward delivering on the promises of the first volume. Precious little plot and character development occur as Leo's history and story are sidelined in favor of the super villain team of Nightmare Scenario.

Unfortunately, as the mechanism for unlocking superhuman abilities is expanded on, Carey opens a risky door that could upend the meaningful character development that has occurred thus far. Leo's behavior becomes somewhat erratic, but hopefully
Cale
Oct 06, 2014 Cale rated it really liked it
For as laid back and thoughtful as the first volume was, this volume switches to an action emphasis. And it's a significant and impressive switch. Leo's powers are much more prevalent here, and the Nightmare Scenario group is an interesting concept - a group of supervillains who actually do take over a country, with Leo's assistance, but not assent. Their powers, and their actions, and characters are all interesting, and the book reaches an explosive climax, then keeps going. There's also a ...more
La Espada en la Tinta
Aug 04, 2015 La Espada en la Tinta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: received
Como ya dije en la reseña del primer volumen de la serie, Mike Carey, Elena Casagrande y Joëlle Jones firman una historia muy distinta de las que plagan el mercado del cómic. Es sorprendente, como ya mencioné, que Riesgo suicida empezara a publicarse casi a la par que la novela de Brandon Sanderson Steelheart, precisamente porque los dos tenían unas ciertas semejanzas —salvando las consabidas diferencias, claro está—. En ambos casos, todos los que adquieren superpoderes terminan por adentrarse ...more
Anchorpete
Mar 14, 2015 Anchorpete rated it it was amazing
I am pretty sure in my review of the last volume I said that Mike Carey is the most underrated writer in comics today. The first volume was great, and this continues the momentum. In this volume, we see the true, horrific potential of what the people who have been given super powers can do in this world. I don't want to give away any spoilers, but a great appeal of this volume is seeing how easy it is to accomplish something on a colossal level, as long as you have a well thought out plan and ...more
Nathalia
Nov 26, 2014 Nathalia rated it it was amazing
Although he is really trying to hold on to his humanity and reunite with his family Leo is dragged into the Nightmare Scenarios' drama of taking over the Yucatan. Although he initially goes along with the plan (to save innocent lives) once he unleashes his powers there is no holding him back. New characters introduced: Ada, the abused housewife turned drug kingpin and Christina aka Just a feeling the psychic dreamer are two to watch out for.
Kevin
Aug 24, 2015 Kevin rated it really liked it
Better than vol.1. Probably more like 3 1/2 stars, but I'll round up for a creator I like.
The one off story that starts this volume is great, and the main arc within us clearer than volume 1.
Explanations will come in later volumes. I think I stopped reading the single issues somewhere in volume 3.
Ryan Viergutz
Wow, man, Mike Carey writes twisted sick stuff. It's one of those books that's so short it desperately wants more room to play with its concept of evil superheroes and one possibly evil superhero fighting his nature who's stuck in the center of the madness.

That said Carey clearly is familiar with writing comics and knows exactly how to do it.
Shannon Appelcline
Jun 17, 2014 Shannon Appelcline rated it really liked it
Suicide Risk takes a rather unexpected turn for its second major arc, but it remains, a strong and enjoyable story that's brutal and exciting and a lot of fun to read. The main character remains very interesting and Carey does a good job of teasing us with just the slightest glimpses of the larger world he's creating.
Ithlilian
Apr 06, 2016 Ithlilian rated it really liked it
Well I'm definitely hooked, can't wait for the next one, haven't read anything like it. Superheroes that are villains but may have compelling back stories and may come from supernatural entities from the past...then there's the whole demon thing. More!
Skjaldmær Freyja
Aug 15, 2015 Skjaldmær Freyja rated it really liked it
come promesso,compensa le lacune del primo volume. E' più bello,più coinvolgente e si interrompe sul più bello. Direi il perfetto pretesto per leggere subito il terzo ;)
Jeff
Jun 30, 2014 Jeff rated it really liked it
Continues to expand the metaphysics of the universe, while keeping us most interested in the characters and plot. Solid writing (and gorgeous art).
Ryan Mishap
Apr 15, 2015 Ryan Mishap rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Leo tries to run-down the villains who injured his partner and killed a bunch of other cops. The trail will lead him far and wide and the series will take turns both diverse and unforeseen.
Martin
Martin rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2015
Luis
Luis rated it really liked it
May 22, 2015
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2016
Kris
Kris rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2014
Andy Oerman
Andy Oerman rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
blkcowrie
blkcowrie rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2015
Ben Wroe
Ben Wroe rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2014
Leesa
Leesa rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2014
Trey
Trey rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Jay Eales
Jay Eales rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Christian
Christian rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Aubrey Ingman
Aubrey Ingman rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Mike Carey was born in Liverpool in 1959. He worked as a teacher for fifteen years, before starting to write comics. When he started to receive regular commissions from DC Comics, he gave up the day job.

Since then, he has worked for both DC and Marvel Comics, writing storyli