Start by marking “Invitation to Architecture: Discovering Delight in the World Built Around Us” as Want to Read:
Invitation to Architecture: Discovering Delight in the World Built Around Us

Invitation to Architecture: Discovering Delight in the World Built Around Us

Why does architecture matter? What differentiates “architecture” from mere “building”? In this engaging, original work, Max Jacobson, one of the authors of the landmark design book A Pattern Language, and Shelley Brock explore these and many other questions as they present a compelling case for the importance of architecture in our day-to-day lives.

The book begins with a d
Published April 15th 2014 by Taunton Press (first published April 11th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Invitation to Architecture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invitation to Architecture

Jim
Jul 06, 2014 Jim rated it it was amazing
This book is well titled. It is an easy to read and an entertaining story of the coming about of architecture through the ages and of human responses to design. It clearly sets forth the basic elements of good design and the skills to bring it about. This book should be on the reading list for anyone interested in architecture and design as a career and also for those simply interested in their surroundings and how they might be improved.
Matthew
Jul 04, 2014 Matthew rated it it was amazing
This is the book I wish I had for my music appreciation classes--a fantastic balance of theory and analysis, with a clear, but not proscriptive, analytical approach. When I get a moment, I will blog about this, but I need to try to understand how Vitruvias' three elements--firmness, usefulness, beauty--can be translated into the musical realm. The concept of "background buildings" is an important one, too, with clear parallels in music.
Laurie Taylor
Jul 08, 2014 Laurie Taylor rated it it was amazing
Actually, I am not a person who would normally read about architecture, but I am am into the art of discovering the world around us, so I picked up this book. Very enjoyable and enlightening and accessible! The authors have cleverly found just the right mix between simplicity and elegance to help us understand how building design is an expression of our humanity and essential to our lives. The illustrations are a little wonder in themselves.
Michaela
Apr 06, 2015 Michaela rated it it was amazing
I'm also categorizing this as poetry, because the section on aesthetics had the BEST explanation on rhythm I have ever read. Even my music training was never so succinct and understandable.

Along with that I simply loved it. I love the problem solving of architecture, I love the beauty of architecture, I love the fact that so many beautiful places exist, especially those that have been around for centuries.
May 11, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Perhaps this should have been a long paper rather than a book. But it made me think about architecture in ways I never have. I really enjoyed it. Thought provoking.
Barbara Llewellyn
Barbara Llewellyn rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2014
Lia
Lia rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2014
Alexis
Alexis rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2014
KayLee
KayLee rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2014
Tim Hicks
Tim Hicks rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
J.
J. rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2016
Shelley Brock
May 14, 2014 Shelley Brock is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
Kareem Youssef
Kareem Youssef marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Noreen
Noreen marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Deema
Deema is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2014
Shan
Shan marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Nathalia
Nathalia marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Monique
Monique marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Steve Tjiang
Steve Tjiang marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Adrian E LaTrace Jr
Adrian E LaTrace Jr marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Kuba
Kuba marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Jonathon Geels
Jonathon Geels is currently reading it
May 12, 2015
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
German Uribe
German Uribe marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Sapphire Ng
Sapphire Ng marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016