Start by marking “Scavenger Hunt (A Finny Aletter Mystery, Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Scavenger Hunt (A Finny Aletter Mystery, Book 1)

Scavenger Hunt (Finny Aletter Mystery #1)

Denver stockbroker, Finny Aletter, dreams of quitting her cutthroat job to restore historic houses, but the murder of her boss—and ex-lover—Elliot Fulton keeps her in the world of scavengers.

When a prized manuscript that once belonged to Elliot surfaces, Finny tops the list of possible killers.

Now, Finny must find Elliot's killer by tracing the manuscript's origin and stay
ebook
Published June 3rd 2013 by ePublishing Works! (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Scavenger Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scavenger Hunt

This was a free Nook book, which is my favorite price, even if mystery isn't my favorite genre.

I kind of felt like I was reading a script for a New York cop drama. Wise cracking, tough, Italian last name cop, meets charming lady suspect.

But it felt very leaden moving to me. Finny as a character is filled out enough as a character, but her relationship seemed very perfunctory, the conflicts seemed contrived. They weren't characters that I related to, or really came alive for me on the page.

I did
Judie
Oct 05, 2013 Judie rated it really liked it
This was a Free Friday Nook book and I'm so glad to have had the opportunity to discover this author. though The story takes place in 1987, therefore we have to remember that there weren't any cell phones and in many ways this simple fact increases the tension in this wonderful mystery. I've ordered the second book in this series.
Sandi
Nov 13, 2013 Sandi rated it did not like it
Welp, you know me & the free Nook books. Don't read this. Just...don't. It took me the entire book to figure out why everyone was calling everyone on their house phones, til I read the book details and realized it's from 1987.
Shelley
Oct 31, 2016 Shelley rated it liked it
Julia
Jun 04, 2014 Julia rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
3.5 Stars

This was a little grittier than my usual choice of mystery novel, but I enjoyed it. Despite the rougher edges to the story, the plot was well crafted with plenty of twists and turns, and the characters drew me in.

Finny is a successful career woman who has lost her passion for her job. The day she closes on a huge new account is the day she decides she's going to give it all up and concentrate on making ends meet with her hobby - home renovation and carpentry. But life takes an unexpecte
♠~Dawn~♠
May 25, 2014 ♠~Dawn~♠ rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Immediately grabbed my attention. The descriptions and details were amazing right off the bat. Finny is a great character, she's got some spunk but shows some weakness too. Perfect blend. Barelli starts out as an a**. He comes off as an insensitive jerk who is married to his job. Finny's ex-lover and employer has been killed and the intrigue begins. Finny naturally does the irresponsible thing and stubbornly gets involved and withholds information from Barelli. Things only barrel out of control ...more
Terric853
Jan 31, 2014 Terric853 rated it liked it
Finny is a stockbroker who's just landed a big account. Later that night, her boss and former lover, is murdered and all signs point to her as the murderer. Enter Chris Barelli, tough, sarcastic homicide investigator who both annoys and intrigues Finny. Other people in the firm die, and soon Finny is doing some amateur snooping and ends up smack dab in the middle of a search for a lost Mark Twain manuscript that may be the reason her boss was killed. The tension between Finny and Chris plus the ...more
Terry Lee
May 09, 2014 Terry Lee rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this book and happy I found a new author to read. The story had an easy and logical flow leading the reader deeper into the mystery. I loved the relationship between Finny and Lt. Barelli. Finny isn't the typical "perils of Pauline" character. She's strong and determined often to Barelli's dismay.

I intend to read the second Finny Aletter mystery and hope Ms. Montgomery writes a third "Finny" book by the time I finish it.
Marti
Oct 17, 2013 Marti rated it liked it
nook book If one wonders why the main character is named Finny, it is short for Enfin, the name her mother chose after 16 hours labor. It means, Finally! She faces quite a lot of peril after her former lover is killed. Being a stockbroker in Denver is hazardous to her health, and that of a number of other coworkers and friends. Finny becomes friendly with a police officer, but it is okay because he is going to retire soon. It is good fun, though serious, too.
Peggy
Oct 29, 2013 Peggy rated it liked it
This was a free nook book. My expectations are generally low for this kind of book (free), but this one wasn't bad at all. It is short and fast paced. The author does a good job a rich descriptions to paint a picture. I didn't figure out the "who done it" and that always makes for a better read. Some of the story is a little forced, like the relationship between the main character and a detective, but, still overall a decent book.
Doris Fletcher
Dec 10, 2013 Doris Fletcher rated it liked it
Not a bad little who-done-it if you're looking for a light read. Characters are likeable even if the mystery aspect is slightly predictable. As one big plus for this book it has two unique descriptive phrases the I just loved. The first is "Elaine Leyden's penciled eyebrows were raised high enough to become part of her hairline" & "I'm so far out on a limb over this, I've got birds in my hair".
Lonnie
Jan 04, 2014 Lonnie rated it liked it
Shelves: nook
Fairly decent premise that lacked follow up. The writing flowed fairly well but there were so many suspects but I never had the understanding of who was who. The last couple of chapters took me longer to complete than the previous 80% of the book.

Not interested in reading the other novel by this author.
Valerie
Oct 20, 2013 Valerie rated it liked it
Got this as a Free Friday Nook book. It wasn't a bad book, but it wasn't great either, so I'm glad I got it for free. It was a bit boring and and the mystery plot was predictable with the lights going out during a storm, etc.
Alison
Feb 15, 2014 Alison rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
A quick, breezy, well-written mystery. I felt it was a tad short to support its big cast of characters, but I enjoyed the fast pace and I felt Finny and Barelli were well developed.

All in all, I liked it enough to put book #2 on my to-read list.
Joyce McKune
Aug 08, 2014 Joyce McKune rated it liked it
Shelves: murder-mystery
Not bad. I'd read another Finny Aletter Mystery.
Finny let slip to a co-worker that she intended to quit her job. She was afraid the office gossip would get to her boss before she could tell him and his line was busy so she went to his home. The police were already there and her boss was dead.
Leni Rayburn
Nov 23, 2013 Leni Rayburn rated it liked it
A free Friday Nook book pick: not great literature. Entertaining plot twists & fast-paced, perhaps too predictable it's
a good read nonetheless.
Rachel
Jan 18, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, romance
I loved reading a story set in a city I know so well. The mystery was intriguing but the characters were somewhat flat and Finny seemed totally clueless at times
Judy Garver
Nov 03, 2013 Judy Garver rated it really liked it
Not great literature really, but fun, enjoyable read. i would read the the second one in this series to see how the author develops the charachters.
Susan
Dec 02, 2013 Susan rated it liked it
Fun read. There were so many suspects the ending was never guaranteed. A little trite- the protagonist of course falls in love with the brusque detective, but there were some interesting twists.
Keith Sanders
Nov 30, 2013 Keith Sanders rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013
Not very satisfying, characters reactions in situations seemed unrealistic. Perhaps everything that was in the authors mind, did not make it on the paper.
firecracker2007
Oct 23, 2013 firecracker2007 rated it it was ok
Eh, it was okay. I won't be digging up any of the others in the series. But it was entertaining enough to read all the way through to the end.
Mary
Jan 06, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing
This was a good quick read...decent plot, liked the lead character, decent ending. Will try another Finny story.
Ellen
Oct 03, 2014 Ellen rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, nook
Denver stockbroker who steps into middle of a murder of her boss and seems kind of clueless to what is going on around her.
Megans
Oct 22, 2013 Megans rated it did not like it
Awful. Hundred of characters briefly introduced then spoken of constantly. Confusing, stories popping up out of thin air. Will not read another by this author, surprised I finished this one.
Shannon
Nov 11, 2013 Shannon rated it it was ok
a little too predictable. i never really connected with characters. although i did want to finish just to see wat happens......
Beth
Nov 25, 2013 Beth rated it liked it
Good story but strange ending. A first in a series so lots of character formation but not a great plot.
Valerie
Valerie rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2013
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2013
Cherie Reeves
Nov 02, 2013 Cherie Reeves rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-books
Another free book. Wasn't bad.
Fred
Fred rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Darkness Before Dawn
  • The Crime of Julian Wells
  • The Grave Gourmet (Capucine Culinary Mystery, #1)
  • Everybody's Daughter
  • By Design
  • Head To Head (Claire Morgan #1)
  • A White Wind Blew
  • The Hunt
  • Dover Beach (The Last P.I., #1)
  • Meet the Annas: A Musical Novel
  • Sins of the Father
  • Dead Politician Society (Clare Vengel Undercover, #1)
  • The Devil's Cradle (Kendall O'Dell #2)
  • The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World: Geography for the Lost and Found
  • Leave No Stone Unturned (A Lexie Starr Mystery, #1)
  • The Seduction of Lady Phoebe (The Marriage Game, #1)
  • From the Ashes
  • The Seduction of Emily
2051198
Yvonne Montgomery is a native of Boulder, Colorado, and lives in Denver's historic Capitol Hill area. The creaking stairs and moving shadows in her three-story Victorian house have inspired her Wisdom Court novels, and have, at times, robbed her of sleep.
More about Yvonne Montgomery...

Finny Aletter Mystery (2 books)
  • Obstacle Course (Finny Aletter Mystery #2)

“A woman's gotta do what a woman's gotta do.” 0 likes