Start by marking “The Platinum Rule: Discover The Four Basic Business Personalities And How They Can Lead You To Success” as Want to Read:
The Platinum Rule: Discover The Four Basic Business Personalities  And How They Can Lead You To Success

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  17 reviews
In this entertaining and thought-provoking book, Tony Alessandra and Michael O'Connor argue that the "Golden Rule" is not always the best way to approach people. Rather, they propose the Platinum Rule: "Do unto others as "they'd" like done unto them". In other words, find out what makes people tick and go from there Targeted print ads. National print publicity.
Audio Cassette, Abridged
Published by Hachette Audio (first published February 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Platinum Rule, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Platinum Rule

Abbass  Maanna
Such an entertaining , thought-provoking book that teaches each one of us how to deal with the different personalities we may face whatever and wherever the workplace is. It informs us what kind of these four personalities : "Director", "Socializer", "Relater" , or "Thinker" are we,discusses each one of them showing each's pros and cons,and how to deal with your partner's personality in order to build rapport and reach success you aim.

Written in an easy,direct,and enjoying style,Tony Alessandra
Feb 23, 2008 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who are interested in communicating better
Recommended to Heather by: self
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a good book for those who need help in dealing with people. It is recommended for business people. I still receive Tony Allesandra's emails weekly giving more hints on how to deal with different personality types.

This book tells us to "treat others as they want to be treated." Then it tells us about the different personality types and how to speak to different people in "their own language". Each type has a different way they want to be communicated with. Knowing which people prefer whic
Catherine Read
As the title suggests, this is a twist on "The Golden Rule" which we all remember from elementary school as being: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Only that's a bit misguided. Because how I want it done unto me might not be at all how you want done unto you. Hence the "Platinum Rule" is about doing unto others as they would choose to have it done. That is a deceptively simple idea. Because how do I know what it is that you want?

We have to learn first about our own styles of
Juergen John Roscher
I listened to this book on CD.

I was looking for a book that I could listen to as I drive back and forth to work that would be educational and might help me communicate better at work and home. I found a CD of “The Platinum Rule: Discover the Four Basic Business Personalities and How They Can Lead You to Success” by Tony Alessandra at the local library and decided to listen to it. I am not well steeped in communication theory or practices and found this book to have several good recommendations i
Velvet Jane
I admit that I don't "buy in" to many corporate psychological improvement theories or books; The Platinum Rule is a significant exception to that statement. This book was a boon not only to the corporate environment I worked in when I was first given it to read, but also to every social environment that I participate in (school, clubs, volunteerism etc.)

This book provides a solid outline on how to mesh the different personality types that constitute professional (and personal) environments. The
After a couple chapters, I thought this was going to be very good. But then it took a sharp turn into redundancy of very simplistic examples. The overall concept is interesting. The pair have developed yet another two-dimensional assessment of personality. Directors, Socializers, Relaters, and Thinkers are each allocated two of the four quandrants, based on their degree of directness and guardedness. (And of course, each can be further segmented to get a total of 16 styles.) Having given the req ...more
I had high hopes regarding this book. It was supposed to teach how to communicate, but it was too business oriented and boring as hell. The principles were inaccurate, there was too much talking for nothing.
Tami Stackelhouse
For clarification, I'm giving the book 4 stars instead of 5 because the content is great, but the examples are sometimes confusing. I've been to many workshops that cover this material and those have generally been more helpful.

So yes, anyone who interacts with people at all should read this. That means you, unless you are reading this review from a lonely mountain top where you live alone. =)

We all are different. We don't all speak the same "language" of ideas, thoughts, behaviors, etc. This bo
Lana Hillman

This book was recommended to my fiancé & I by our pastor in preparation for marriage. Not only did it clarify our different personality styles, but gave practical suggestions for dealing with each other. This book also identified a number of ways to deal with difficult personalities in and out of the work environment & avoiding potential problems in business. I HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone who wants to improve their relationships personally & professionally & increase th
Ben Love
I usually enjoy Tony Alessandra, especially his “meat and potatoes” shorter works on charisma and presentation skills. However, this one felt like it should have been a shorter work but became very, very stretched out. It took a few pages to be told and for me to understand the platinum rule and I was able to figure out the constructs and consequences of it fairly rapidly too. Not sure if an entire book was needed to reinforce this simple (but valid) principle.
This book suffers a bit from the desire to categorize everyone into only four categories. Although the categories may be useful metaphors, very few people are truly in only one or two of the categories. For example, my quiz pegged me as a Director, but I really more often fit the Thinker category better. It's got some use in reminding people that not everyone has the same needs, but it feels too superficial to me.
Laurie Sanders
I learned a lot from this book...and it has changed the way that I approach people as I now start looking for clues as to whether someone is a director, thinker, socializer, or relater as soon as I meet them.

It helped me to recognize my own style and to see its strengths and weaknesses as well as to see the strengths and weaknesses of other styles. It was an easy and enjoyable read and I learned a lot.
Platinum rule got my attention, it started out recognizing four basic rules. This book is good for big corporate businesses. It's helped to understand some individuals at work.
Oct 08, 2008 Dave rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dave by: Young Leaders' Society
Golden Rule: Treat others that way you want to be treated. Platinum Rule: Treat others the way that they want to be treated. They've taken that admittedly important though somewhat obvious difference and written about 300 pages.
While this book had some good points, I think they spent too much time on examples for a salesperson. It just seemed like the second half the book was just repeating the first half, and it wasn't beneficial.
Steve C
A business version of The Color Code. The material is original and I read a shortened version of it. I gather (but am not sure) the author's claims are backed by research.
Jan 01, 2009 Robin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Personality types. Always interesting psychology!
Raymond marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Joseph marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Chinarut Ruangchotvit
Chinarut Ruangchotvit marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
James marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Traci Comerford
Traci Comerford marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
MK marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Henry Goh
Henry Goh is currently reading it
Sep 02, 2015
Eva Richeson
Eva Richeson marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Thomas Maher
Thomas Maher marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Jodie Starks
Jodie Starks marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Shelia marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Joe marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
  • Why is She Acting So Weird?: A Guide to Cultivating Closeness When A Friend is in Crisis
  • Selling Well: The 5 Relationships That Experts, Authors & Coaches Use To Sell 1,000 Books In 21 Days
  • Overcoming Underearning: A Five-Step Plan to a Richer Life
  • The Diet Cure
  • Figuring Out Fibromyalgia: Current Science and the Most Effective Treatments
  • Dr. A's Habits of Health: The Path to Permanent Weight Control & Optimal Health
  • Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? When My Lab Tests Are Normal: A Revolutionary Breakthrough In Understanding Hashimoto's Disease and Hypothyroidism
  • The On-Purpose Person: Making Your Life Make Sense
  • The Girl's Guide to Starting Your Own Business: Candid Advice, Frank Talk, and True Stories for the Successful Entrepreneur
  • From Fatigued to Fantastic!
  • 10 Natural Laws of Successful Time and Life Management
  • The Path of Least Resistance: Learning to Become the Creative Force in Your Own Life
  • Living Well with Autoimmune Disease: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You...That You Need to Know
  • The Tapping Solution: A Revolutionary System for Stress-Free Living
  • The Power Principle: Influence With Honor
  • The Plateau Effect: Getting from Stuck to Success
  • Singularity (The Jevin Banks Experience, #2)
  • Discovering the Soul of Service: The Nine Drivers of Sustainable Business Success
Charisma: Seven Keys to Developing the Magnetism that Leads to Success Non-Manipulative Selling The 10 Qualities Of Charismatic People: Secrets of Personal Magnetism People Smarts - Bending the Golden Rule to Give Others What They Want Communicating at Work