Start by marking “The Platinum Rule: Discover The Four Basic Business Personalities And How They Can Lead You To Success” as Want to Read:
The Platinum Rule: Discover The Four Basic Business Personalities  And How They Can Lead You To Success

Two business visionaries argue that the real key to corporate management and bottom-line success isn't the Golden Rule, but rather the Platinum Rule--doing unto others as they'd like done to them.
Audio, Abridged
Published September 1st 1996 by Hachette Audio

To ask other readers questions about The Platinum Rule, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Platinum Rule

Abbass  Maanna
Jan 01, 2015 Abbass Maanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such an entertaining , thought-provoking book that teaches each one of us how to deal with the different personalities we may face whatever and wherever the workplace is. It informs us what kind of these four personalities : "Director", "Socializer", "Relater" , or "Thinker" are we,discusses each one of them showing each's pros and cons,and how to deal with your partner's personality in order to build rapport and reach success you aim.

Written in an easy,direct,and enjoying style,Tony Alessandra
Heather
Feb 23, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who are interested in communicating better
Recommended to Heather by: self
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a good book for those who need help in dealing with people. It is recommended for business people. I still receive Tony Allesandra's emails weekly giving more hints on how to deal with different personality types.

This book tells us to "treat others as they want to be treated." Then it tells us about the different personality types and how to speak to different people in "their own language". Each type has a different way they want to be communicated with. Knowing which people prefer whic
Dave
Nov 05, 2015 Dave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. Will keep and refer to this book often ,as it woke me to a major core inauthenticity,that I am now working to correct.
Profound.
Catherine Read
Aug 29, 2014 Catherine Read rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As the title suggests, this is a twist on "The Golden Rule" which we all remember from elementary school as being: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Only that's a bit misguided. Because how I want it done unto me might not be at all how you want done unto you. Hence the "Platinum Rule" is about doing unto others as they would choose to have it done. That is a deceptively simple idea. Because how do I know what it is that you want?

We have to learn first about our own styles of
Juergen John Roscher
I listened to this book on CD.

I was looking for a book that I could listen to as I drive back and forth to work that would be educational and might help me communicate better at work and home. I found a CD of “The Platinum Rule: Discover the Four Basic Business Personalities and How They Can Lead You to Success” by Tony Alessandra at the local library and decided to listen to it. I am not well steeped in communication theory or practices and found this book to have several good recommendations i
JP
May 18, 2013 JP rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After a couple chapters, I thought this was going to be very good. But then it took a sharp turn into redundancy of very simplistic examples. The overall concept is interesting. The pair have developed yet another two-dimensional assessment of personality. Directors, Socializers, Relaters, and Thinkers are each allocated two of the four quandrants, based on their degree of directness and guardedness. (And of course, each can be further segmented to get a total of 16 styles.) Having given the req ...more
Velvet Jane
Oct 18, 2012 Velvet Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I admit that I don't "buy in" to many corporate psychological improvement theories or books; The Platinum Rule is a significant exception to that statement. This book was a boon not only to the corporate environment I worked in when I was first given it to read, but also to every social environment that I participate in (school, clubs, volunteerism etc.)

This book provides a solid outline on how to mesh the different personality types that constitute professional (and personal) environments. The
Tami Stackelhouse
For clarification, I'm giving the book 4 stars instead of 5 because the content is great, but the examples are sometimes confusing. I've been to many workshops that cover this material and those have generally been more helpful.

So yes, anyone who interacts with people at all should read this. That means you, unless you are reading this review from a lonely mountain top where you live alone. =)

We all are different. We don't all speak the same "language" of ideas, thoughts, behaviors, etc. This bo
Lana Hillman
Aug 28, 2012 Lana Hillman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book was recommended to my fiancé & I by our pastor in preparation for marriage. Not only did it clarify our different personality styles, but gave practical suggestions for dealing with each other. This book also identified a number of ways to deal with difficult personalities in and out of the work environment & avoiding potential problems in business. I HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone who wants to improve their relationships personally & professionally & increase th
Raejean
Jan 30, 2017 Raejean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
If you were raised with the golden rule, it's time to up your game! Instead of treating others the way you want to be treated, we should treat others the way they want to be treated. The Platinum Rule demonstrates different communication styles and how understanding them can increase the effectiveness of working together. You learn your style, how to identify the styles of those you encounter and how to adapt to the best way to communicate.

The book focuses on business, sales and customer servic
Martha
Jul 03, 2010 Martha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book suffers a bit from the desire to categorize everyone into only four categories. Although the categories may be useful metaphors, very few people are truly in only one or two of the categories. For example, my quiz pegged me as a Director, but I really more often fit the Thinker category better. It's got some use in reminding people that not everyone has the same needs, but it feels too superficial to me.
Laurie Sanders
I learned a lot from this book...and it has changed the way that I approach people as I now start looking for clues as to whether someone is a director, thinker, socializer, or relater as soon as I meet them.

It helped me to recognize my own style and to see its strengths and weaknesses as well as to see the strengths and weaknesses of other styles. It was an easy and enjoyable read and I learned a lot.
Ben Love
I usually enjoy Tony Alessandra, especially his “meat and potatoes” shorter works on charisma and presentation skills. However, this one felt like it should have been a shorter work but became very, very stretched out. It took a few pages to be told and for me to understand the platinum rule and I was able to figure out the constructs and consequences of it fairly rapidly too. Not sure if an entire book was needed to reinforce this simple (but valid) principle.
Jos
Aug 28, 2016 Jos rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business-book
the 4 "personality traits" are often used in coaching and sales leadership trainings. This book is a full explication of these 4 personality traits with perspectives on selling, managing complaints, coaching etc. The survey to enable yourself to classify in one of the 4 traits is useful as it also allows for a subcategorization.
Asami
Aug 23, 2014 Asami rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes regarding this book. It was supposed to teach how to communicate, but it was too business oriented and boring as hell. The principles were inaccurate, there was too much talking for nothing.
Jen
Dec 02, 2011 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this book had some good points, I think they spent too much time on examples for a salesperson. It just seemed like the second half the book was just repeating the first half, and it wasn't beneficial.
Dave
Jul 28, 2008 Dave rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dave by: Young Leaders' Society
Golden Rule: Treat others that way you want to be treated. Platinum Rule: Treat others the way that they want to be treated. They've taken that admittedly important though somewhat obvious difference and written about 300 pages.
Steve C
A business version of The Color Code. The material is original and I read a shortened version of it. I gather (but am not sure) the author's claims are backed by research.
Robin
Jan 01, 2009 Robin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Personality types. Always interesting psychology!
Kina
Dec 29, 2013 Kina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Platinum rule got my attention, it started out recognizing four basic rules. This book is good for big corporate businesses. It's helped to understand some individuals at work.
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2008
Dean Brophy
Dean Brophy rated it it was ok
Jan 09, 2016
Neil Ball
Neil Ball rated it liked it
May 09, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2013
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Emilie Knight
Emilie Knight rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2015
Jason Lawrence
Jason Lawrence rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Crys
Crys rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2014
David Singer
David Singer rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2017
Johanna
Johanna rated it did not like it
Nov 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Oversubscribed: How to Get People Lining Up to Do Business with You
  • Why is She Acting So Weird?: A Guide to Cultivating Closeness When A Friend is in Crisis
  • Selling Well: The 5 Relationships That Experts, Authors & Coaches Use To Sell 1,000 Books In 21 Days
  • Discover Your Optimal Health: The Guide to Taking Control of Your Weight, Your Vitality, Your Life
  • Overcoming Underearning: A Five-Step Plan to a Richer Life
  • The FibroManual: A Complete Treatment Guide to Fibromyalgia for You . . . and Your Doctor
  • The Diet Cure
  • Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? When My Lab Tests Are Normal: A Revolutionary Breakthrough In Understanding Hashimoto's Disease and Hypothyroidism
  • The On-Purpose Person: Making Your Life Make Sense
  • From Fatigued to Fantastic!
  • 10 Natural Laws of Successful Time and Life Management
  • The Path of Least Resistance: Learning to Become the Creative Force in Your Own Life
  • The Power Principle: Influence With Honor
  • Living Well with Autoimmune Disease: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You...That You Need to Know
  • The Tapping Solution: A Revolutionary System for Stress-Free Living
  • Singularity (The Jevin Banks Experience, #2)
  • The Plateau Effect: Getting from Stuck to Success
  • Discovering the Soul of Service: The Nine Drivers of Sustainable Business Success