Start by marking “Fitness Confidential” as Want to Read:
Fitness Confidential

Fitness Confidential

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  614 ratings  ·  91 reviews
America’s Angriest Trainer, Vinnie Tortorich, exposes the nasty underbelly of the fitness industry while getting you into the best shape of your life. For over 20 years, Vinnie has been Hollywood’s go-to guy for celebrities and athletes looking to get fit fast. Now, in this hilarious and often r-rated memoir, he holds nothing back. What’s the best piece of fitness equipmen ...more
Published by Publisher: Telemachus Press, LLC (June 27, 2013) (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Fitness Confidential, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fitness Confidential

Joe
Close your eyes and imagine a knowledgeable, middle-aged personal trainer who likes to publicly brag about his fitness and his sex life, but in a good-natured and almost goofy way. Now imagine that all of this braggadocio is peppered with bad jokes about his Italian heritage. Now imagine that this person is _really_ hyper. Now imagine what a book would sound like if this personal trainer wrote it.
Ray Campbell
This is something of a memoir posing as the confessions of a fitness industry insider. Vinnie Tortorich is an extreme cyclist, cancer survivor and has been a top trainer for more than thirty years. His stories range from his experience modelling to beating cancer and riding 500 miles through Death Valley. Along the way, he imparts his simple health and nutrition advise while giving some useful tips on how to get a good deal on a gym membership and how to choose a trainer. However, this is only a ...more
Mo
Mar 17, 2014 Mo rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mo by: Recommended
This book contains a lot of really useful information regarding diet and fitness. The author has an interesting outlook on life, most of which I agree with. I heartily concur with his philosophy that there is no safe "magic bullet" when it comes to weight loss. I applaud his candor and honesty.

While I can appreciate that the author did not want to inundate us with “boring as hell” details, the book could have benefited from some expansion in the diet area. He makes some blanket statements that c
Ng Hong
this is a very different book from what I was thinking. I was thinking of some deep stuff on fitness since the writer is hollywood's go to guy for fitness, but its actually an autobiography of his experience. When it comes to health and fitness he only sell you a simple thing: no sugar no grains. And that is from an ultramarathon enthusiast. Most of the time you would associate carbs with this kind of sport but for them its a whole lot different. He brings across an important point in that, it m ...more
Steffi
I loved this book and hated for it to end!! With its conversational tone amusing anecdotes, it's much more than just a self help book. It totally makes sense, I highly recommend it!
Lara
Mar 08, 2014 Lara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
I picked this up on Audible during a sale as it sounded interesting. I'm glad I did. The book is modeled somewhat after Kitchen Confidential and the author (who also narrates) is in turn a trash-talker, teacher, braggart, coach, and snark. He clearly loves what he does, and gives his back story to explain why. While he has clearly worked with many Hollywood names, this book is not about name-dropping (although there are some promotions). It is about the fitness industry and what he believes make ...more
Greg
I have to say I found this book very entertaining. Some may balk at Vinnie's suggestions about forgetting diets and calorie restriction and simply go no sugar, no grain (NSNG), but it is hard to argue with his 20+ years experience with clients and it does seem harder to overeat in this manner.

I rate this 4 stars mainly because I expected Vinnie to be a little harder on the fitness industry. I guess he didn't want to get sued and his co-writer didn't want to seem like some kind of hack, but if he
Gabriel Figueroa
This book has a few good tips and some entertaining stories. Unfortunately the good is overshadowed by the bad, though, since most of the book espouses Vinnie's harmful dietary philosophy. He is basically promoting an Atkins style of eating, which is the fast track to heart disease and cancer. Don't get me wrong there is value in what he says here repeatedly "no grains, no sugar." Grains can be a problem for people trying to lose weight, so cutting them out is not a bad idea for someone trying t ...more
Angela Alfonso
Vinnie message is clear 'cut the crap'....he highlights and exposes frauds in the health and fitness industry. The rules are basic cut out sugar , wheat and then exercise. His stories of dealing with some of his clients made me laugh, and at one time I am sure he should have charged consulting fees because not only were his clients exercising they were receiving advise on life itself.
His struggle with leukaemia was inspiring, he was down but he still got up everyday, a simple man with simple val
Lisa
Okay, so Vinnie is a little crass and I could do without the tiny portions of swearing and womanizing in the book ((would have given it 5 stars otherwise)

Despite that: this book is both encouraging, instructional and HILARIOUS!! What a great book about that shares simply with you how to lose weight. Along the way, you are taken on Vinnie's journey which includes a fabulous endurance sport story. Really enjoyed this book all in all. Simply devoured it...
Robyn
Fantastic read!!! You'll want to read it cover to cover in one sitting. Vinnie is a no nonsense guy and if you've listened to his podcast his voice really comes through in the writing. This is not a book describing the latest fad to help you lose "#" pounds. This book talks about why you shouldn't buy into any gimmick (perfect push-ups) or subscribe to a diet which endorses eating processed food (Jenny Craig & Weight Watchers).
Jessica Dollar
I am a fan of the Angriest Trainer podcast so I decided to finally read this book. It was entertaining, just as the podcast is. It is at times crude and at times sexist, just like the podcast. That doesn't stop me from liking it and LOVING the message. NSNG (no sugar, no grains) is about as simple as it gets.
It's hard to categorize the book. It's a fitnees/weight loss how-to but also a memoir. It works but I think it could also have been two seperate books with each aspect getting more fully fo
Marianna
I loved this book not only because I learned about how I should be eating and exercising, but because it also has a great story. Full review:

James
I devoured this book. its fantastic. Cuts through all the crap the fitness industry throws at us and just says it how it is. Vinnie has a great sense of humour which comes through and I loved the vinnisms! Read this book!
Gabriel Pagan
Fantastic book. Does for the fitness industry what Bourdain's Kitchen confidential did for the food service industry. Some great advice too.
Cmón the man has 3 balls and is banging a Bond girl, you gotta follow his advice!
Beth Callaghan
An enjoyable read, but only about 10% useful information and 90% anecdotes. I'm not really a fan of the voice of the book, either, but the stories were mildly interesting.
Buzz Park
I loved this book. It is a fascinating read with fun insights on the Hollywood fitness industry, as well as his fight against cancer.

Also, I found the information on removing sugars and grains out of the diet to be quite complelling (NSNG = No Sugar No Grains). As a result of reading this book, I began a thorough reading program, including Grain Brain, Wheat Belly, Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It, Calorie Myth, etc and this has radically changed my life.

As a result of following an NSNG l
Mohammed H
I learned a very important lesson from this book that might help you in loosing weight. I have tried so many things and really worked hard to loose weight but with no real results. This book has really helped me. You wont have to read the entire book to know how. Not to say that the book is not worth reading, its fun to hear the guy talking Specially if you decide to get the audio book he has a good sense of humor.

Its really simple no GRAINS no SUGAR! Its really that simple! I thought you had t
Tom Barbieri
This book is the one to get if you're serious about cutting the CRAP and making a change for yourself! The author is honest and has no agenda but to get you fit. Vinnie Tortorich is, well, the "Vinnie Tortorich" of fitness!

Vinnie Tortorich tells you all the secrets and tells them in a very engaging way. I can't leave out Dean Lorey. Being an accomplished screenwriter and executive producer, Lorey's talent really comes through and matched with Vinnie's charisma, they've created a gem! You'll love
Glenda
I had some credits I needed to use on Audible, so this is one of the books that I picked, and I'm glad I did as Vinnie's digressions and added commentary added a bit more fun to the book (which is already fairly entertaining a read).

You get some good tips on fitness, choosing gyms, what to look for in a trainer, and a direct confrontation of the elephant in the room - that there are no shortcuts, you just have to do the work to be bit and you'll get out of it what you put into it.

Will we all be
Norielle
Not a great fan of neither memoirs nor diet and fitness books, but this one is just splendid in combining it all into a funny and witty narrative of a person who is funny and witty and does not bullshit when it comes do diet and excercise. I found it very motivating for my excercise and diet and as said by one of the previous reviewers, by the end, I felt as if I made a new friend. The audiobook is a great version with loads of extra additions in comparison with the original book. Loved it!
Mark
I bought this book on a whim expecting it to be an in-depth detail about dieting and exercise. I was very wrong. This is the store of Vinnie Tortorich who before reading the book I knew nothing about.

Vinnie is old school, in everything, from training to lifestyle.

The book was well written and very entertaining discussing without naming details of his clients, their behaviours and excesses.

Very entertaining book overall and recommended.
Melanie A
Everyone should read this book- Vinnie Tortorich really shows me why I should respect his training and I do. He is an incredible athlete who isn't scared to tell the reader about his failures and his accomplishments. He's funny, which helps the content matter. I read this book in one day.

I had been toying around with the NSNG diet, but after finishing this book, I'm 100% sold.
Curt
This is a memoir combined with a lot of pointless social commentary for what is supposed to be a fitness book. If you are looking for any real fitness advice you will be very disappointed. The extent of the fitness advice in this book is: Cut sugar and grains. Exercise (although he doesn't give much advice on specifics). Not worth reading even if you get it for free.
JT
Great book & great information! Vinnie T is genuine, humble, and a true professional! I don't find the casual use of "F" Bombs offensive; especially when they are tossed between "Vinnieisims" and hilarious anecdotes but those. As I am aging, my body seems to be reacting to food differently therefore I am excited to implement the NSNG philosophy and see what happens!
Cam Bunting
I thought this book was a good read because I learned a lot of different stuff about fitness and health that i didn't know about before. The issue in this book is about how people don't work out know a days and it tells you about why you should keep your body helathy. Another is issue is how everyone expects to loose weight just like that because commercial say they can but this book tells you the truth on how to loose weight without cutting out all the good foods. This was personal to me becaus ...more
Lex
I'm not sure what to think of this book. It starts off with some advice in health and fitness, but the becomes sort of an autobiography. I'm inspired my Vinnie's strength at over coming adversity. I really couldn't care less about the sick twisted Hollywood behaviors. The raunchy stories we just gross and ruined everything
Deane
I can't recommend this book more highly. It's an absolutely fantastic read. I didn't learn anything new, but it reinforced everything I've learned about fitness and diet in the last five years, and that's a lot. Entertaining, and absolutely gospel.
Sydney Young
Best fitness book ever - and the audio gives extras. This is the beauty of self-publishing. Also, I like the fight that the "ghost" writer gets credit up front and center. That is as it should be. (The publishers wanted cuts or changes. True to self, Vin said "No thanks, I'll do it my way" - well he actually probably through a cuss word or two in there, but you get the gist.) No holding back honesty. I needed this and hope I remember to plug in to the podcast.
Aileen Kim
This book was entertaining and motivational but I wish Vinnie went into depth about his advice (e.g. detailed explanations, supporting evidence, examples of what not to eat, etc.).
How to Find the Best Weight Losing Exercise for You Personally 1 5 Apr 18, 2014 10:19PM
Essential Tips on How to Be Slim Fast 1 7 Mar 04, 2014 04:33AM
  • Sick Notes: A Doctor's Tale From The Front Lines Of Medicine
  • I'm Here To Win: A World Champion's Advice for Peak Performance
  • Finding Ultra: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World's Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself
  • Drop the Pink Elephant: 15 Ways to Say What You Mean - And Mean What You Say
  • Control Switch On: The Untold Story Of The Most Powerful Man In The World-Ryan Moran-Who Shaped The Planet For Peace
  • Confessions of a Male Nurse
  • What Einstein Kept Under His Hat: Secrets of Science in the Kitchen
  • Stress-Proof Your Life (52 Brilliant Ideas)
  • Dancing Lessons: How I Found Passion and Potential on the Dance Floor and in Life
  • Power Sleep: The Revolutionary Program That Prepares Your Mind for Peak Performance
  • Bigger Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Male Body (The Build Healthy Muscle Series)
  • The Paleo Diet for Athletes: A Nutritional Formula for Peak Athletic Performance
  • Eat the Yolks
  • Get Up!: The Dire Health Consequences of Sitting and What We Can Do About It
  • The Obama Hate Machine: The Lies, Distortions, and Personal Attacks on the President---and Who Is Behind Them
  • Marianne, the Madame, and the Momentary Gods (Marianne, #2)
  • Forgetting to Be Afraid: A Memoir
  • Danielle Walker's Against All Grain: Thankful, 20 Thanksgiving Gluten-free and Paleo Recipes
Monty