Start by marking “Running Back (New York Leopards, #2)” as Want to Read:
Running Back (New York Leopards, #2)

Running Back (New York Leopards #2)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,596 Ratings  ·  151 Reviews
Natalie Sullivan is on the verge of a breakthrough most archaeology grad students only dream of: discovering a lost city. Her research points to a farm in Ireland, but to excavate she needs permission from the new owner: the Michael O'Connor, popular NFL running back.

On TV Mike seems so charming and good-natured that Natalie figures getting his cooperation will be a breeze
Published October 21st 2013 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Running Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running Back

Catching Jordan by Miranda KenneallyEx-Factor by Elisa DaneFrosh by Mónica B. WagnerUnbreakable by Elisa DaneDare You To by Katie McGarry
Sports Themed YA/NA
45th out of 139 books — 173 voters
The Rancher's Runaway Bride by Judith BowenRedeeming Grace by Emma  MillerA Race to Splendor by Ciji WareRace to the Altar by Patricia HaganReady to Burn by Tracey Alvarez
Romance Novels Begining with the Letter R
30th out of 100 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
****4 Cute Delightful Stars****

ARC provided by Carina Press via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Publication Date - October 21, 2013

This book is Michael O'Connor's story from the series "New York Leopards". It is a delightful quick and easy read. This book is free of angst and low on drama while dealing with a budding romance between rivals turned to lovers.

Natalie Sullivan is doing her thesis for archeology while looking for the lost city of Ivernis in Ireland. She has good reason to
Louisa
3.5 stars. One thing I like about Allison Parr's books is they typically break the cliched mold of New Adult (angsty and melodramatic and stab-your-eyes-out worthy, that is). I actually get invested in her romantic pairings and her characterisation follows a natural path. I liked this better than the previous installment of the series, but the middle of the book sags hard enough for me to feel a little distanced from the characters. I had to push on till the end (which thankfully did pick up). G ...more
ExLibris_Kate
Feb 08, 2016 ExLibris_Kate rated it really liked it
You know, I really love this series because the women have such interesting careers. Rachel worked in publishing and Natalie is an archeologist. This is what I consider the upper echelon of NA; good character development and sweet love scenes that are tasteful.
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
I felt like It's the Blue Heron Series all over again. God knows I love Rush Me but once again sadly Running Back was a disappointment. I couldn't connect with Michael and Natalie's story. I'm still hoping the next installment would be better.
Jess

That feels too low, because I actually liked it more than the first book in this series, but I liked it in a much quieter kind of way. I don't know, I still may go back and change it, nothing quite feels right.

Nope, changing it to 5 stars. It deserves them.

Actual thoughts about the content of the book:

- This is a much more adult novel than Rush Me was. I think Natalie and Rachael were supposed to be about the same age but Natalie felt a lot more mature, even when it became apparent how
Jennifer ♛Jenna♛
Overall this book was good but not as great as Rush Me,the first book in the series. I think that the chemistry between Natalie and Mike wasn't as strong and I just didn't love them together the way I did Rachael and Ryan.
Chachic
Aug 16, 2015 Chachic rated it liked it
I read this one fairly quickly but it wasn't as good as the first book in the series. The lush Ireland setting was nice but I missed the closeness and camaraderie of the team.
Heather
Book two in the New York Leopards series by Allison Parr.

Natalie is a young woman who is finishing up her graduate work and is being mentored by one of the greatest men in her field. She is an archeologist and she is looking for a long lost city in Ireland. Natalie has had a rough go of it. Her mother and father don't understand her. They believe her schooling is a "hobby" that she will outgrow.

Natalie does not believe in love. She has seen her mother and father together in a loveless marriage f
Lucie Paris
Oct 18, 2013 Lucie Paris rated it liked it
The love story between Rachel and Ryan in "Rush Me" has really surprised me and it was with my eyes closed that I threw myself into Allison Parr's new romance. The problem is that I have not found the same ingredients that had me excited.

If I liked Nathalie's determination to find a lost city, her loyalty to Jeremy and her desire to change her lofe for love, I was quite disappointed with Mike. He did not make me dream, or vibrated. His mood swing are dull. In addition, there is no humor in his a
BookHookup
Oct 26, 2013 BookHookup rated it really liked it
The original review for this title can be found HERE on The Book Hookup.

Christina's Review:

**SPECIAL NOTE:** An eARC of this title was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. However, that did not influence this review in any way. All thoughts, quotes, and opinions will be of this version and not of the published edition.

Initial Thoughts and Actual Rating: A solid 4 stars for Running Back! This might have had an unoriginal story flow and a few cliched momen
 Lori (Ficwishes)
Oct 23, 2013 Lori (Ficwishes) rated it really liked it
You can view this entire review and other on my blog Ficwishes

Check out my published content!

The Story...

Archaeologist Natalie Sullivan finally has the funding to go ahead with her her dig off the coast of Ireland. Now the only thing standing in her way is the land's new owner, NFL running back Michael O'Connor.

At first glance, Mike seems like an easy-going, friendly guy, but Natalie sees a different side of him once she asks about excavating on his land. His refusal to sign her papers does not stop Natalie from making a tri
SexyBookTimes
Oct 30, 2013 SexyBookTimes rated it really liked it
Parr’s heroines are brainy nerd girl grad students. I love it. This is (was) my world. I’m a nerd girl and I really love this trend in smart romances. The nice difference about this book is that instead of geek girl references we get Ptolemy and Yeats nerd girl references. Don’t get me wrong I like Sci-Fi and comic book heroes as much as the next girl, but even I am starting to get sick of Joss Whedon getting name dropped in every other book I read.

I really enjoyed this book. It is more story dr
Lauren at Live Read and Breathe Reviews

Source: eARC for Honest Review from Carina Press via NetGalley

So there is just something special about this series!

Natalie is a girl who knows what she wants. She also has no notions of love getting in her way. Why would they when she doesn't believe in the possibility of love.

Her first and only passion is archeology and the possibility of Ivernis. Her only road block was in the form of Michael O'Connor.

Michael's persona is one of charm and making things appear honky dory but for some reason he
Rachna R
Oct 24, 2013 Rachna R rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK. I don't know if it was just right for the mood I was in, or what, but I LOVE Parr, it's too soon to say it but I do. And I liked this so much more than Rush Me, too, and I loved that book - I just enjoyed Natalie's voice so much. I enjoyed Parr's writing style. I loved the use of first-person, because that kind of POV very rarely works as well for me as this did - it suited the story a lot, and also I loved Natalie, a major plus I loved the rhythm of this, the gradualness, the ...more
Rachmi
ARC was provided by the author/publisher via NetGalley in exchange for honest review

As the second book of New York Leopards series, I think the main characters in this book, Michael O’Connor and Natalie Sullivan have more baggage than Rachel Hamilton and Ryan Carter in Rush Me. I liked characters with baggage because it often follows with angst, feeling and drama from the characters. Both Michael and especially Natalie have a not-so-good past. As the oldest of the O’Connor, Michael takes respon
Cait
I loved every single second of this book.

I tried hard to not compare this to Rush Me, but it's difficult. I found this book much less problematic than I did Rush Me (this is mostly related to Natalie vs Rachel). I didn't feel like I got to know Mike as well as I did Ryan in the first book but that's not a huge thing.

LET'S TALK INSTEAD ABOUT THE ARCHAEOLOGY. There was nothing that stood out as blatantly wrong, so I was so happy with that. The frustration, the negotiation with grants and people in
Mireille
Jan 05, 2016 Mireille marked it as did-not-finish
Frankly I don't understand why I disliked this one so much - I had a lot of fun with the first one, and a lot of my friends loved this one, but I just could not get into it at all. Maybe it was that the dude dashes the lady's hopes for a dig right at the beginning? Maybe it was the lack of football? Which sounds silly, because I do not like football/sports, but I did like the feeling of "team" and friends in the first book, whereas this isolated the main characters in another country.

I might go
Holly
There were a lot of editing issues in this book. Mostly spelling errors, but some continuity issues as well. I was surprised, since I read Parr's first book, Rush Me, and don't remember seeing them.

That aside, this was a fairly enjoyable read. Natalie and Mike were both fixed on their careers and neither was looking for love. They developed a friendship that seemed genuine and included a lot of heavy sharing and emotional support, which made the relatively short timeline of the romance work.

In
Ellen (more books, please)
I liked it. I really did. I wasn't surprised because I have liked other stuff this author has written.

Or so I thought.

Here is where I confess I am not very bright. This was a Whispersync deal. I will buy pretty much any WS combo that comes in under 5 bucks unless I have issues with the writer and/or narrator.

Saw this. Jumped on it. Of course, I thought this was written by Allison Packard, not Allison Parr. Yep. As an aside, Allison Packard writes a pretty darn good book, too.

And then (remember,
Liza
Apr 09, 2014 Liza rated it really liked it
Another geeky heroine that the reader's would fall in love to.

Allison Parr has again successfully made me fall in love with her characters. Very unusual, weird but I have somehow felt that they were relatable.

Natalie, an archeology doctorate found herself stumbled upon Mike O Connor, the famous running back of the New York Leopards in quest for a discovery in a land where Mike owned.

In their journey to Ireland, they have not only conquest through the land's secrets but also with their familie
Tt
Apr 04, 2014 Tt rated it liked it
While I liked this book,/ story, something kind of drove me crazy about it at the same time. I usually love reading about details regarding the unique careers of characters but in this story it was almost too much? Yeah I'm not really sure. Or maybe it was the h's attitude towards life..... Don't get me wrong I liked the premise of the story and loved most of the characters but I guess it just boils down to the fact that I didn't feel very connected to Natalie. She was focussed and loving and de ...more
Angie
Mar 18, 2014 Angie rated it it was ok
Shelves: new-adult, ebook
I adored Rush Me, Parr's first novel in her New York Leopards series, and it was with great excitement I dove into Running Back. For awhile there, everything was going swimmingly. I thought the Irish setting and Natalie's dedication to archaeology would suit me just fine. Unfortunately, her persistence (and loud insistence) that love wasn't real and that what she was experiencing with Mike wasn't anything beyond surface-level lust began to ring hollow and pall very quickly. The whole reason they ...more
Shambhawi P.
Dec 14, 2013 Shambhawi P. rated it liked it
The story itself was not bad - but I was missing the American football element in the story. Fun, fluffy read with the heroine making dumb decisions sometimes but Mike could have been any famous guy - not necessarily a famous footballer - and the story would not have been affected even a single bit.

For someone wanting more of the New York Leopards this fact was a disappointment indeed. But other than that the story was really enjoyable.

3 Stars I wonder who the third Leopard to fall will be.
April
Mar 05, 2016 April rated it really liked it
Shelves: epubs, sports, romance
This might have been more like 3.5 stars because I felt it dragged a bit in the middle, but I'm rounding up because I genuinely love the way Parr writes her characters. I really loved Natalie's commitment to her chosen career, most probably because it was going to be my career once upon a time. Parr manages to write authentic archaeology without making it seem mind-numbingly boring, which I appreciate. I also appreciate the quirkiness of her heroines in this series since it seems to set them apa ...more
Marsha
Apr 05, 2014 Marsha rated it it was ok
"Running Back" is my introduction to the writings of Allison Parr. This book in theory has everything I should love, an archaeological theme and romance; yet, it just does not deliver. In short, this is a mediocre story with a less than stellar romance, no action and painfully lacking of a real protagonist.

With that being said, this story is about a grad student, Natalie who has secured a grant for an excavating dig in Ireland. However, prior to embarking on her journey, the owner of the dig sit
Mskychick
Mar 01, 2015 Mskychick rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-owned
Fav quotes
We drove out to Blarney Castle with Mike’s family for the afternoon. MacCarthys built the fortress six-hundred years ago, and today tourists flocked to see the stronghold and to receive the gift of gab by kissing the bluestone block. Which I wouldn’t do, because any stone worth kissing had usually been peed on.

“You guys had a fight.”
“Um. Well. Just a...little...” If I kept spacing my words farther and farther apart, I’d never have to finish, right? An asymptotic sentence.

“What will
Taylor
Apr 29, 2014 Taylor rated it really liked it
One of the best books I've read recently.

I got this during a sale on Amazon on a whim and made the mistake of picking it up during my finals week. Although I am not an avid New Adult reader, I couldn't put this book down. The characters were well drawn and interesting. While the story of a young woman falling for a famous football player is hardly unusual, I thought the interactions between the characters was believable. I also appreciated finding a PhD student who was not merely a bookish nerd
Anna
Apr 03, 2014 Anna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Okay, so a football-player romantic lead didn't look very appealing. *But* our heroine is an archaeologist, which is just about always enough to get me to read a book. And I'm glad I did because I was surprised by how much I identified with the heroine, and how much I liked all the characters. I even cried at the end, because the hero was actually romantic and sweet in ways that most romantic leads don't seem to be in most books.

Plus, parts of the book were just plain funny:

"'Um. Well. Just a...
Jessica Brandon
Jan 21, 2014 Jessica Brandon rated it liked it
Running Back
Allison apart

This ARC was given by Carina Press via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
I give this book 3.5 stars.....

Natalie Sullivan is searching for her dream, Ivernis (An ancient king that ties the Ancient Rome to Ireland). However, she does not realize she is also searching for herself and her own happiness. Natalie is a Columbia graduate student studying archaeology and finds herself as the lead digger in an excavation in Ireland. She is funded by Columbia university
An
Jodi Nichols
Mar 28, 2014 Jodi Nichols rated it it was amazing
Loved this story!! Natalie and Michael were such great characters!! Natalie is such a go getter and would stop at nothing to be able to dig for Invernes. Michael at first I thought was going to be a huge jerk but he really was a sweet guy!! I hope there are more stories to come for the other Leopard players :-)
  • The Striker's Chance
  • The Winning Season (Feeling the Heat, #2)
  • The Candidate's Wife
  • Love to Love Her (Silver State Series)
  • Knowing the Score (London Legends, #1)
  • Blitzing Emily (Love and Football, #1)
  • The Undisciplined Bride
  • The Wedding Blitz (Foolish Games, #3)
  • Her Favorite Rival (Mathews Sisters, #2)
  • The Changeup (Men of the Show #1)
  • In the Clear (Winter Rescue #1)
  • One Night with a Quarterback (Santa Fe Bobcats, #1)
  • Goals For A Sinner (Sinners, #1)
  • Stand-In Star
  • The Chocolate Heart (Amour et Chocolat, #5)
  • Concealed Desire
  • The Lucky Charm (Portland Pioneers, #1)
  • Stir Me Up

New York Leopards (3 books)
  • Rush Me (New York Leopards, #1)
  • Imaginary Lines (New York Leopards, #3)

“accents started to be tinged with what was, stateside, referred to as an Irish brogue. I was finally” 0 likes
“almost American, and Dublin working” 0 likes