Start by marking “Cheaters” as Want to Read:

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  5,719 ratings  ·  108 reviews
Cheaters is the book that broke new ground for Eric Jerome Dickey, following the skyrocketing success of his first three #1 Blackboard bestsellers, Sister, Sister, Friends and Lovers, and Milk in My Coffee. Cheaters takes on a larger canvas and cast of characters, and fearlessly explores how bad even good people can sometimes behave in the game of love. It has earned Dicke ...more
Published May 1st 2001 by NAL Trade (first published July 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Cheaters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cheaters

Thoughtless by S.C. StephensCome Undone by Jessica HawkinsThe Mighty Storm by Samantha TowleAvoiding Commitment by K.A. LindeCome Alive by Jessica Hawkins
91st out of 165 books — 349 voters
Waking with Enemies by Eric Jerome DickeySleeping with Strangers by Eric Jerome DickeyDying for Revenge by Eric Jerome DickeyThe Other Woman by Eric Jerome DickeyResurrecting Midnight by Eric Jerome Dickey
Books by Alphas
27th out of 90 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Teduchess66aol.com
I read this book years ago after meeting Mr. Dickey at a book signing. Interestingly enuf, he'd ask me my name n where I lived I told him and it's weird the character Tammy (my name) lives in the IE (where I live) she sings. (I sing) amazing.. Physically at that time she was plump back then so was I.. Felt as if I was reading about myself.. Amazing!!!
Ruby
Feb 18, 2009 Ruby rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Yes
What can I say Eric Jerome Dickey can do no wrong when it comes to writing magnificent fiction. I'm very bias, I know I am.
Jamaica
This is the second book from Mr. Dickey I've read. I wanted to give this book at least 4 stars, because after reading The 0ther Woman, I was anxious to read his other work. Now, don't get me wrong, the writing is great and the characters were engaging it's just...the theme is so stereotypical. It's about a group of friends who meet and then their lives change as far as relationships and family life goes. The main male character, Stephen, is a player. Been one all his life and the main female lea ...more
Valerie Williams
Stephan Mitchell and his best friends Jake and Darnell are living well with good jobs, fine clothes, and beckoning futures. For Stephan and Jake, who attract plenty of beautiful sisters, variety is the spice of life. But Darnell is different: He has kept his marriage vows despite some rough going...until he meets a woman who understands his dreams. Chante Marie Ellis and her best friends Karen and Tammy are true blue soul sisters. Closer than close, going way back, they've stayed tight while eac ...more
Brooklyn Darkchild
Aug 15, 2011 Brooklyn Darkchild rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Brooklyn by: I'm a fan of the author
Everyone cheats.
Or So "They" Say.
I guess it depends on the circumstances.
Well, this is the story of 2 groups of friends: Stephan, Jake and Darnell, and Chante, Tammy and Karen; and the absolute mess their dating lives are in. Stephen is the resident "pimp", juggling several women at a time, Jake is the commitment-phobic who somehow finds himself engaged yet still keeps a woman on the side and Darnell is the "happily" married friend who finds himself tempted to cheat because...well:
Whose marriag
La Mala

Primero està Stephan , el que tiene màs minas de las que puede manejar PEEERO todavìa està a tiempo de pasar a OTRA vida .

Le sigue Jake ,que es igual de infiel que Stephan PEEERO no va a cambiar nunca .El eterno pirata . El que va a tener sesenta años y va a seguir corriendo atràs de cualquier veinteañera que se le cruze.

Le sigue al final Darnell , el que todavìa cree en la monogamia y pretende ser fiel para toda la vida ---Hasta que cae rendido ante una chica sensible que no hace màs que admira
Stephanie.gonzalez
The novel im reading now is called Cheaters by, Eric Jerome Dickey. So far in the book, Stephen is cheating on 3 girls and having fun doing it. Chante got cheated on by a married man who has kids. Darnell and his wife are having some issues with Darnell always busy typing his book.
This book is writen by chapters but each chapter is about a different person, and how cheating is involved in their life and how they cope with it. This book only talks about three peoples life, Stephan, Darnell, and
Aspoon
I listened to the audio version of this book and I must say the narrators did such a good job bringing these characters to life. I loved the storyline and the intensity of the chemistry between Chante and Stephan. This was my first African-American book I've read, and I'm glad I did...I can't to read more of E.J.Dickey books. P.S. Darnell wife should get gone....so un-supportive.
Vanesa Charles
I enjoyed reading this book, it didn't completely capture me but still overall a good book. I could relate to the characters and I enjoyed how the erotic scenes were filled with more passion than the usual gritty sex scenes in African-American books. I was happy with the ending and pleasantly surprised by the choice Darnell made.
Shirlanne Alexander-gay
I read this book in 2 days back in 2001 and have re-read it a couple of times. The story is written so descriptively, it's like your watching the scenes instead of reading them. Awesome book.
S.g. Alexander
Love this book...great story and characters...and of course it was well written... I've read it about 3 times and it's just as good every time lol
Alisha
This was the very first Eric Jerome Dickey book I've ever read, and I really enjoyed it.
Stephanie
Love ALL of EJD books! He's definitely my favorite author.
Tinetra Lashay
I love this book. I am a fan of his
Matthew Francis
Loved it. I'd read it again.
Sabrina
Good summer/beach read.
Bobbie Wines
Loved it!!!
Natalia Sulca
My. What a fabulous book! So great in fact, that I can't even begin to write a review on it because it taught me so many things. Maybe later when I gather my thoughts I might write more. What a great lesson on human nature. Our faults, our frailties All the things that bind us together. Just wow. This is the first novel I have read by Eric in a few years. I always enjoyed his works, but somehow with so many books to read I put him on the back burner. I am so happy that I picked him up again! :-)
Gw
Loved it
Stephanie
As with EJD's other books, this book is an in-depth character piece on the lives of middle class African Americans. As with his other books, this is a very long book that reads like a very short book. At first I found it formulaic, but by about a quarter of the way into it, I was intrigued at the author's attempt to give a complex answer to the question, "Why do people cheat on their partners?"
Key
This book was quit interesting. The character's lives unfold page by page. It was difficult to put this book down especially during the middle of the book. The only thing I would change is Jake having a chapter because his story was riveting and was only being told by other characters. I wish he had more of a voice to shed light on his mishaps and deep rooted issues.
Carol Martinez
Sep 27, 2011 Carol Martinez rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Who wouldn't want to read a book with a title like this? I literally finished the book in one day. It's just that good. Almost makes you just want to sit back and think of your own 'relationships'. Attention grasping from cover to cover. Eric Jerome Dickey has such an amazing style of writing, that makes you feel like your watching a movie. Loved it!!
Arburtha
I really should not have read this book after reading "The Last Days of Ptolemy Gray", had I not done so I'm sure this book would have rated at least 3 stars. It was choosen by a member of our book club so was 'required' reading. Toward's the end it actually got good, slightly messy, but given the title what else is new!! OK read!!
Sara
Great read with excellent characters. All deal with relationships in different ways. I love Dickey's writing style - so conversational. This is an older one so many of the cultural references are outdated, but it's easy to overlook. I love the strong foundation of friendship that the main characters all have and keep coming back to.
Mary
I really liked this book. It made you feel as if you were in the book living along with the characters. The characters and situations were interesting. I loved how everyone didn't always get what they want like in most modern fiction books, I liked how it was more realistic. I would recommend this book to anyone!
LaTonya
This is one of my favorite books by EJD. It has a great story line, lots of drama, and some humor too. I also loved the characters and I would definitely recommend this book. It was a page turner and I couldn't put it down. Thanks EJD for a very entertaining book that I could read again and again. A Great read.
Shannon
I read this book like forever ago and it was a really good with interesting characters and a good plot. It started the trend of reading urban authors for me. Unfortunately, all of his books started to run together and sound the same, but if I had to choose one from the bunch this was the best.
Isis
I couldnt get out of this book from Chante to Toyomi to Chante to Darnell it was really good. I would wake up in the morning and read this book wake up in the middle of the night and read read read lol. Loved it. I have a lot of his books courtesy of my mother so I will keep yall informed :)
Briana
this book is something most parents wouldnt let their children read... but i went ahead and did it anyway... o be completely honest... the only thing i learned from this book was when im in a relationship not to get caught ceating... and to grow up and be my own person...
  • Not a Day Goes By
  • Flyy Girl
  • Married Men
  • Soulmates Dissipate
  • The Maintenance Man
  • Disappearing Acts
Eric Jerome Dickey was born in Memphis, Tennessee and attended the University of Memphis (the former Memphis State), where he earned his degree in Computer System Technology. In 1983, he moved to Los Angeles to pursue a career in engineering.

After landing a job in the aerospace industry as a software developer, Eric Jerome Dickey's artistic talents surfaced, inspiring him to become an actor and a
More about Eric Jerome Dickey...
Friends and Lovers The Other Woman Milk in my Coffee Sister, Sister Chasing Destiny

“find em, fool em, fuck em, forget em” 53 likes