Slab Rat

Slab Rat

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  20 reviews
In the pitch-perfect tradition of the very best of Nick Hornby, Martin Amis, and Christopher Buckley comes "Slab Rat, " a razor-sharp, highly comic novel of lethal ambition and office politics. Zachary Arlen Post is an up-and-coming editor at "It" magazine, one of the glossiest jewels in the glittery publishing crown of Versailles Publishing. The son of a well-regarded arc...more
Published 2000 by Scribner Book Company

Mark
Fun, but not substantial. A cotton candy book on dysfunctional office life.
Rob
Slab Rat comes dripping with praise from various highbrow publications, including one cover quote comparing it favourably to Heller's father's most famous work, Catch 22. This is unfair on him (who can compete with a cultural landmark like that?) and even more unfair on the reader, as expectations can only be dashed.

And dashed they are, but not necessarily because it's a bad book. On the contrary, it's well-written, pacy and readable. But it's throwaway fluff, and derivative to boot. Billed as s...more
Esmeralda
Jul 16, 2012 Esmeralda rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys satire
After reading [i]Pocket Kings[/i] I wanted more Ted Heller. I found out that he is the son of Joseph Heller, who wrote [i]Catch 22[/i]. He seems to have inherited his father's gifts of satire and black comedy.

This book deals with the magazine publishing business, but the office politics he describes exist everywhere. The main character, Zachary Post, has gotten his job with a fictitious resume. He wants to advance to the position of Senior Editor and to marry a well connected but frigid British...more
Erin
The only reason I finished this book was because it gives me hope as a writer - if something like this can be published, there's hope for me!

In the story (an office drama in a New York City magazine), the protagonist gives an honest, scathing review of a book. His nemesis, who also hated it, gives it a glowing, academic review, calling for it to win lots of fancy prizes. The book does. The protagonist decides that's because all the other reviewers just followed suit, copying and pasting from hi...more
Nadia
This was so "not my thing". It was interesting enough in "that's how it can be in real life" light, but idk. I'm not in the least inspired by all these descriptions of main hero's different positions between girls' legs etc. Though some thoughts concerning corpsewalking and sraightforward manipulation have been excluded from the book. I guess all that could be delivered better. Main theme of it is very Dr.House-ish -- "Everybody lies".
They seem somehow similar, but i liked The Pathology of Lies...more
Steven Pilling

This book is funny,it creates a world of back biting and populates it with a cast of morally bankrupt characters.

Heller has a beautifully clipped style, he sets a very pace and manages to keep it up, revelation follows revelation and the world gets blacker and blacker.

It does has echoes of other writers Coupland for one, but is original enough for that not to be an issue.

This book is clever, slightly sassy (whatever that means) and well plotted which for literary fiction is a nice change. You...more
Terri Garrett
This wasn't a bad book...and was entertaining....but, I have a hard time with books where none of the characters are likeable. Especially the main character who wants his boss dead...but, manipulates his best friend into doing it for him. I don't even understand why he wants the life he's desperate to have. It's just a unpleasant life.

If this is how magazine life is in reality, it is completely unappealing.

Rachel C.
I can't even imagine the tremendous pressure of being the famous offspring of a famous author, but Ted Heller has a wicked and black sense of humor in the workplace. While a lot didn't work for me, it really was a book that stuck with me after the fact. If you're looking for a fairly good take on the magazine industry you just might enjoy this book.
carrie
My sister lent this book to me (it's a personally signed copy and everything!). It's zippy and funny and is familiar enough that I believe all of these characters could exist (I've met people in magazines who are like many of these characters) but also unbelievable enough (enter: satire) that Heller can get away with some things.
Ninian
Dark comedy. It was okay but halfway through I thought I might just stop reading it. I perservered and finished it. Clever writing but I never warmed to the main character and didn't feel the sense of wanting him to succeed.
Donald
One of my all-time favorite novels. Satire on the world of New York magazine publishing. Ted Heller is the son of Joseph Heller (Catch-22).
Jeanne
A novel of corporate ladder-climbing. Some very not-nice people in the book made it difficult to enjoy.
Rich Pliskin
Fun book. Some funny bits and well-written. Kind of a small setting, though, and well-trod terrain.
Kurt
Eh? This cubicle based romantic comu-drama could be left or not. I say again, eh?
Thomas Cannon
Very funny book. Like his father, his protagonists are flawed.
Sue Nami
I devoured this book--twice! Heller has real attitude.
Jon
I enjoyed this wayyyy more than I should have.
Alex
Feb 21, 2010 Alex added it
Slab Rat : A Novel by Ted Heller (2000)
Tracy
Snarky. Satirical. Biting, Brilliant. A must read for anyone who encounters jealousies-petty and not so petty-in the workplace or among colleagues and friends. Like THE OFFICE on crack! If one doubts whether or not talent is inherited, look no further than Mr. Heller. He seems to validate his late father's legacy of saucy story telling with every turn of the phrase, quip, and mind expanding paragraph. At his son's unique approach and style, he would, I believe, smile with wry bemusement.
Tim
Random book I picked up in the library. Turned out to be hillarious.
Mitchel
Mitchel marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Lydia
Lydia marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Joey
Joey marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Denise
Denise added it
May 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
197998
Hello, Reader.

I am the author of three—no, make that FOUR—novels. They are, in order of appearance: Slab Rat, Funnymen, Pocket Kings, and West of Babylon.

Slab Rat was a dark novel about office politics in the magazine business and how one man (the book's narrator) would sink to any level to succeed. The Washington Post named it one of the year's 10 best books.

Funnymen was a slightly less dark, fic...more
More about Ted Heller...