Start by marking “The Navigator” as Want to Read:
The Navigator

The Navigator

Wall Street comes to Washington in Michael Pocalyko's The Navigator.

On the darkest night of 1945, a 20-year-old B-24 navigator assists in the liberation of a German concentration camp. His haunting trauma is prologue to destiny.

Flash forward to present-day Manhattan. Warren Hunter, reigning master of the financial universe, is poised to close the world's first trillion dol
Published March 25th 2014 by Forge Books (first published June 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Navigator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Navigator

The Navigator is not my usual type of novel. I don't like books that are suspense-filled, they make me anxious. I listen to most mysteries that I "read" so that I can't look at the last pages to relieve my stress. I can hardly sit through a movie where the hero or heroine is in any type of danger.

That said, I am glad I read this story. I was caught up in finding out what happens next from the prologue onward. I wanted to know what all the connections were and how the pieces would fall together.
Oct 25, 2013 Cyndie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cyndie by: Kathryn Pocalyko
Shelves: kindle-book
Who knew a book about bankers could keep you on the edge of your seat with murder, hit-men, and hundred year old conspiracies?

The Navigator is great mystery/thriller that resonates with the soul of Washington DC.

The international, financial, political, and military milieu of the nation’s capital weaves its way through the trials of two brothers as they unwrap a family mystery that has waiting to be uncovered since World War II.

Highly recommend, an excellent read.
Feb 22, 2014 Ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-books-read
This is a read for a certain type of geek. I am one of those type.

You get the usual murder and mayhem, and secret cabals running about and behind causing it all, but the first murder in the book isn't of a person but of a financial firm. (Spoiler: the U.S. Attorney did it.)

It's tightly written, alternating speaking voices, mostly, between two brothers and tying back to incidents at the end of WWII in Germany that wind up profoundly affecting and influencing just about every major person in the b
I'm on a good streak with the random library finds. This was a fun read, call it a "business thriller"? I liked the finance aspect and am strangely pleased that I understood that part without needing translation. Who knew! I've picked up a lot. All-around a good story. Far-fetched sometimes, but not out in "no way" land.
The premise of this book--the search to locate long-lost Jewish funds dating back to WWII and the Holocaust--was extremely interesting. But I felt like I grasped this book in only the most superficial way, because understanding the technological and (especially) the financial plots required a lot more knowledge than I have. The author, as befitted his background, went into extreme detail in the "follow the money" part of the book, and much of the time, he lost me. As a side quibble, I found it i ...more
Nancy Ellis
A good thriller, with lots of intricate pieces of plot, really good characters, but way too much technical jargon of the financial world. Still didn't prevent me from enjoying the story, and I especially enjoyed the historical connections with WW2! Looking forward to more from this author.
High-finance "thrillers" are often duds. From personal experience putting together a big deal means long, boring hours of work nailing down every last minute detail so it doesn't came back and somehow bite you in the ass.

The author glides over all that and puts together a nifty and suspenseful thriller with it's roots in the horrors of WWII, the machinations of modern-day Wall Street and every evil bastard in DC trying to get a piece of the Wall Street action.

Throw in assassins, betrayals and h
Mar 21, 2014 Luigi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I guess this isn't exactly my genre. It took me a long time to get through it and it never totally grabbed me.
Christle Southall
Jul 12, 2014 Christle Southall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book--completely engaging. You wanted to know what happened to each character and how the characters "fit" together. The author delivered.
Jay Clement
Pretty cool premise, but I got bogged down in all the financial talk, and list that burning desire to fly through the book. Finished it, but meh.
Dec 24, 2013 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written, and plotted with good ending twist that leaves room for a squeal!
Nov 29, 2013 Jessica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Not in the mood -- too much like work, reading financial stuff.
Kevin rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2016
Anna Lee Simpson
Anna Lee Simpson rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2016
Sal Fernz
Sal Fernz marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Miraj (Papyrus) Khaled
Miraj (Papyrus) Khaled marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
roy thornberry
roy thornberry marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Pinar marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Adam added it
Feb 13, 2016
Christine marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Gabby marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Magdalena marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Kathy Heare Watts
Kathy Heare Watts marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Tracie Runnels
Tracie Runnels marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Diane Driscoll
Diane Driscoll marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Antonio rated it did not like it
Mar 21, 2016
Alejandra Cervera
Alejandra Cervera marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Hayley Elliott
Hayley Elliott marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Lorraine Crosson
Lorraine Crosson rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Terror Red
  • How to Speak Dog: A Guide to Decoding Dog Language
  • The King of Fear (Garrett Reilly #2)
  • Naples! (Recipe for Adventure, #1)
  • Cold Shot (Kyra Stryker & Jonathan Burke, #2)
  • Mortal Bonds (Jason Stafford, #2)
  • A Tightly Raveled Mind
  • Cook Like a Rock Star: 125 Recipes, Lessons, and Culinary Secrets
  • Games Traitors Play
  • The Brotherhood of the Wheel
  • Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Attack of the Factoids: Bizarre Bites of Incredible Information
  • Stolen Art
  • The Fifth House of the Heart
  • Start Shooting
  • Stiletto Network: Inside the Women's Power Circles That Are Changing the Face of Business
  • Bred To Kill
  • Enchanted by Starlight
  • Vanishing Games (Jack White, #2)