Start by marking “The Tale of Three Trees” as Want to Read:

4.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  12,317 Ratings  ·  298 Reviews

Featuring the wonderful illustrations of Tim Jonke, this best-selling children’s book tells the Easter story from a new and unusual point of view. Children will be deeply touched as they understand, perhaps for the first time, the significance of Christ’s life and his atoning sacrifice on the cross.

Published September 13th 1989 by David C. Cook (first published September 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of Three Trees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of Three Trees

The Story About Ping by Marjorie FlackThe Little House by Virginia Lee BurtonFive Children and It by E. NesbitMillions of Cats by Wanda GágThe Adventures of Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
Best Children's Books Most People Haven't Heard of...
71st out of 1,081 books — 767 voters
Redeeming Love by Francine RiversThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversThe Shack by Wm. Paul YoungThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Best Christian Fiction
198th out of 1,846 books — 2,225 voters

More lists with this book...

Brian Yahn
Jan 04, 2016 Brian Yahn rated it it was amazing
Holy balls is there a good message in this clever, twist-filled fable. Although it's rife with religious overtones, it isn't preachy.

Must read!
Shanna Gonzalez
Aug 19, 2009 Shanna Gonzalez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-04-08
This is a folktale about three trees who grow together on a hillside. Each voices a dream: one wants to become a treasure chest, one wishes to be a strong sailing ship, and the last wishes "to grow so tall that when people stop to look at me they will raise their eyes to heaven and think of God." When three woodcutters climb their hill, the first two trees believe they are about to fulfill their dreams, while the third is dismayed. But all three dreams will have a surprising fulfillment: The fir ...more
Sandra
Jul 04, 2016 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star, 2016, english, infantil
Comprei-o para oferecer à Jojo no NATAL!

Só me apareceu cá em casa passados meses.

Tive curiosidade e fiquei encantada.

Um simples conto cristão com uma mensagem lindíssima e com ilustrações para olhar e sonhar.

PS - Foi oferecido à Jojo com um pedido de desculpas por tamanho atraso :(
Stephanie
Nov 29, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
I have loved this story since the first time I read it. I wish that I had found it before I became an adult! I am brought almost to tears every time I read this book. I absolutely love that the trees wind up being exactly what they wanted to be. Every class of students I have read this book to figured out that all of the trees helped Jesus Christ before I could tell them. This is a GREAT story to include in a classroom. I am not sure that I would read it aloud to a class in a public school becau ...more
Kathleen
Jun 08, 2010 Kathleen rated it it was ok
This is one of those children's books that many adults love, but kids don't like. It's not very well written, and reads like a cheesy Christian e-mail forward. The trees have thoughts and feelings, even when they are cut down and sawed into boards. That's really weird when you think about it.
Ashely Clark
May 19, 2016 Ashely Clark rated it it was amazing
I had totally forgotten about this book & came across it at Lifeway tonight while I was looking for a baby dedication gift. It is such a sweet book and I cried reading it. Sometimes we may not be where we think we should but God has a greater plan for us .... Just like he did for the three trees. Now, I have to go buy a copy for every child I know!
Danny Ho Kim
May 14, 2015 Danny Ho Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
So good. made me cry. Something I would use for an Elementary Christian Curriculum.
Brandon Hardesty
Apr 29, 2016 Brandon Hardesty rated it it was amazing
"The Tale of Three Trees" is a children's picture book and Christian folktale. It's meant for children old enough to understand, maybe five or six years old.

The story deals with three small trees, all musing on what they would like to become. Two of the trees want to be cut down and fashioned into various things, like a treasure chest and a strong boat, but the third tree wants to stay put and grow tall.

I didn't expect this story to become religious. I went into it blindly, and I was pleasantly
Jordan Smith
Nov 14, 2015 Jordan Smith added it
Shelves: folk
Summary: Three trees growing on a hilltop dream of grand futures, but when they are claimed by woodcutters, other things happen. One becomes a manger that holds the Christ child, another a humble fishing boat that carries Jesus and his followers, and the third is cut into stout timbers that become Jesus' cross. All three trees realize the power of God's love and know that what became of them was far better than the grandiose dreams they held in their youth.

Activity: I would probably not choose
Rachel
I loved this book; it is one of my new favorites!I loved it, because it filled my heart with hope.In the end the three trees get more than they wanted. When we wish or dream sometimes the outcome of that wish or dream is better than we imagined. Another reason I loved it is, because it reminds me of how precious Jesus Christ's life was. I will certainly read this book again, especially around Christmas time or Easter.
Ruth Isaac
Nov 06, 2014 Ruth Isaac rated it it was amazing
Just a truly amazing story which is beautifully written... and you cannot help but be touched by it.
Ruth Sophia
Dec 26, 2015 Ruth Sophia rated it liked it
Provides a springboard for talking with children

This legend is provides a nice springboard to talk about how what we want and what God wants for us may (sometimes) be the same thing, and yet look drastically different from what we imagined. The Tale of Three Trees is appropriate for Christmastime and Easter as it highlights both Jesus' birth and death. The book does not mention his resurrection (a rather important part of the story!) but as a parent you can verbally include that piece.

Overall, a
Molly Willaert
Nov 09, 2014 Molly Willaert rated it really liked it
*This is a christian folktale. This book is about 3 trees on a hill, each with a specific goal in mind when they grown to become big, strong, tall trees. The first tree wants to be a treasure chest, to hold a magnificent treasure. The second tree wants to be a strong ship to sale the stream and river below. The last tree wants to stay on the hill and be the tallest tree ever. One day 3 woodcutters come to cut the trees down. Each tree does fulfill their dream. The first tree becomes the manger f ...more
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
This book, along with You Are Special, Harold and the Purple Crayon, and Oh, the Places You'll Go!, is one of the best children's illustrated books ever written. The Tale of Three Trees is actually one of the few picture books that I still own. It's also a great book to use to teach theme and symbolism. :D
Melanie
Dec 15, 2010 Melanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a beautiful story we like to read together as a family around Easter time, but it's appropriate for Christmas, too. Beautiful pictures and words!!
Sandra
Dec 31, 2013 Sandra rated it it was amazing
Love this story.
Greg
Dec 19, 2014 Greg rated it it was amazing
My wife and I were at a friend's Cheistmas party tonight. She is as much of a book hound as me, but being a librarian at an elementary school, she has a lot of her favorite children's Christmas season books on display at her house. The Tale of Three Trees was one of them. When she recommended it, I picked it up in a quiet moment and previewed it for my grandkids. It's a wonderful tale of how three trees become part of the life of Christ, from birth, to ministry, to death. It's short enough to be ...more
Kaytlyn Witcher
Oct 24, 2015 Kaytlyn Witcher added it
Shelves: folk
This book is a traditional folktale that tells the story of three trees and how they are related to Christianity. The three trees all dream of something they want to be made into one day. Once they are all cut down, neither are made into what they wanted to be. However, once the messiah is born they are used in a different way but it still signifies what they originally wanted to become. One wanted to be a treasure chest, however became a trough. The trough held the treasure, the messiah. Once w ...more
drowningmermaid
Jun 13, 2014 drowningmermaid rated it really liked it
I remember really liking this one in my evangelical days.
Melissa I
Nov 15, 2015 Melissa I rated it it was amazing
A Traditional Folktale
Retold by Angela Elwell Hunt and Illustrated by Tim Jonke

Do you ever think you are not worth anything? Well, in the eyes of God we are worth everything! He has called us His own (Act 17:28) and He has a purpose and plan for each and every one of us if we are willing to follow and trust Him (Jeremiah 29:11 and Proverbs 3:5-6).

“For generations the tale of three trees has been handed down from parents to children, retold in churches at Christmas and Eas
Amy Hardy
Jul 24, 2014 Amy Hardy rated it really liked it
Shelves: traditional-folk
This was great book for a new twist to tell about the Easter story from a new point of view. It's biblical story, that I feel will deeply touch children to help understand the significance of Christ's life and his atoning sacrifice on the cross. The way the author allows the dreams to come through in the book is a great surprise to them. It is heartfelt and very moving story. My favorite part is the gorgeous illustrations done by Tim Jonke. He really allows and moves the story to come alive.

Tabitha
Dec 17, 2009 Tabitha rated it it was amazing
Independent Reading: 2nd -4th grade

Hunt retold the traditonal folktale entitled,” The Tale of Three Trees”. I believe this was a cumulative folktale where the trees expressed what they wanted, then the text expounded upon actuality of what happened, to finally the wonderful outcome that they experienced. Jonke designed beautiful, realistic images that followed the progression of the plot and complemented the text. This folktale will appeal to children because it is simple to read, yet leaves a p
Danet
Jan 17, 2012 Danet rated it it was amazing
I don't remember if I've read this book or not in the past, but the generally feeling I had while reading the book was extremely familiar. I felt as though I had read the story before. Considering that it talks about the life of Christ, a subject I'm very comfortable talking about, I suppose the affinity I felt with the book is understandable. In the story, the trees speak of their hopes and dreams. The first and second tree have theirs fulfilled in a bit of an unorthodox way, but they are able ...more
J.M.
Jul 16, 2009 J.M. rated it liked it
I had heard this story before as an e-mail forward, so I was surprised and curious to read it in book format. I don't know how "traditional" a folktale this could be since it's a Christian-based story and most of our traditional folktales transcend Christianity (I know, I took a class on Folklore and Myth in college ~ I took a lot of neat classes as an English major).

In a nutshell, this is a story of three trees who desire to be used for a different (yet grand and noble) purpose, and each is use
Lorena
Sep 03, 2015 Lorena rated it it was amazing
There is something about they way some children's books are written that make cry and make me remember them for years to come. This is one of those books. Its the simple telling of three different trees that had big dreams to become something of themselves. Little did they know they would play huge, historical roles that went beyond those dreams. This is the story of God's love through his son Jesus told from a different perspective that makes the story even sweeter and full of love.
Mellie
May 12, 2014 Mellie rated it it was amazing
The Tale of Three Trees is an amazing story I loved it! I can read this book over and over again and wont get tired! I highly recommend this book to anyone! It doesn't matter how old you are you will absolutely love this great tale! It is a very touching story about not giving up your dreams!! Always remember nothing is impossible for God, never give up your dreams.
Kristen
May 18, 2015 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: folklore
Kindergarten +.

The retelling of a traditional American folktale. The story of three trees with great aspirations for the future. One becomes a manger, one a fishing boat, and one a cross. All become proud in experiencing a part of Jesus' ministry.

Wonderful! Amazing illustrations! A fantastic story that all children, especially Christian, will love.
Amanda Zell
Mar 17, 2010 Amanda Zell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pbgs-3
"The Tale of the Three Trees" is a wonderful book reminding the reader that everyone on this earth has a purpose they were destined to fulfill.

I remember reading this book in Sunday School and absolutely loving it! I read it again today and was again blown away at the profound message this that traditional folktale has to offer. This book is a great book for all ages, but I almost feel that it would have a greater affect with students in middle school or even high school. Those are the students
Cajuntexasmom
Apr 12, 2014 Cajuntexasmom rated it it was amazing
Simple book about the legend of three trees, each of which has their own plans and dreams. Each tree finds themselves going down a path they are not happy with, until they realize in the end that their dreams were fulfilled after all. GREAT metaphor for life and how we sometimes don't see the bigger picture for our lived, but God does!
MaKayla Holopirek
Sep 07, 2015 MaKayla Holopirek rated it it was amazing
This traditional folktale is truly an amazing story that touched my heart. It was a creative way to tell the story of Christ's life. If I ever work for a Parochial school I would definitely use this book in my classroom. I feel both children and adults will enjoy the inspiring message told within this story.
  • The Crippled Lamb
  • The Littlest Angel
  • Humphreys First Christmas
  • The Donkey's Dream
  • The Squire and the Scroll: A Tale of the Rewards of a Pure Heart
Christy-Award winner Angela Hunt writes for readers who have learned to expect the unexpected in novels from this versatile author. With over three million copies of her books sold worldwide, she is the best-selling author of more than 100 works ranging from picture books (The Tale of Three Trees) to novels.

Now that her two children have reached their twenties, Angie and her husband live in Florid
More about Angela Elwell Hunt...