Start by marking “Blood's Pride (Shattered Kingdoms, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blood's Pride (Shattered Kingdoms, #1)

Blood's Pride (Shattered Kingdoms #1)

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  300 ratings  ·  90 reviews
Evie Manieri's Blood's Pride is the first book of The Shattered Kingdoms, an engaging, action-packed, and “highly imaginative” (Kirkus Reviews)series of fantasy novelswith epic scope and “the perfect mix of romance, family ties, betrayals, and agonizing dilemmas”(RT Book Reviews).

Rising from their sea-torn ships like vengeful, pale phantoms, the Norlanders laid waste to th
Published January 28th 2014 by Tor Fantasy (first published August 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Blood's Pride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood's Pride

Evie Manieri
Jan 03, 2013 Evie Manieri added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Excerpt of the prologue and first chapter is available on tor.com.

Note from the author: "Blood's Pride is the story of an epic rebellion told on a very personal level. If you like character-driven fantasy, epic fantasy that steers away from convention, strong and varied female characters, emotional depth, and unique societies not even loosely based on the civilizations of medieval Europe, then I encourage you to check it out. I sincerely hope you enjoy it.
Anzu The Great Destroyer
At first I felt lost. Loads of weird names. Freaking weird names. Really. For everything. Couldn’t remember anything. And the thing is, Blood’s Pride has a shitload of main characters. The point of view changed throughout the book more times than I could remember. It was overwhelming, especially since Evie Manieri has a thing for overly-complex idiotic names.

I need my books to be special in order to feel sucked in and enjoy what I’m reading. Blood’s Pride caught my attention with its first few
Milo (Bane of Kings)
“A great new voice in fantasy that’s not to be missed.” ~The Founding Fields

I had the opportunity to read Blood’s Pride late last year through NetGalley – but held off writing the review until closer to the publishing date in the USA even though it had already been released in the UK. But needless to say, Evie Manieri’s debut novel is a strong one, character focused despite having the backdrop of an epic rebellion. If you’re a fan of Joe Abercrombie and George RR Martin’s Game of Thrones, I stro
Jules
I really loved this book. I have read my share of formulaic fantasy, and don’t get me wrong – I love a great Naive Hero vs. Big Bad Evil formula book as much as the next guy. A few new names, a new ‘code’ of magic, then you pretty much know how the story is going to go without working too hard. Hey, who doesn’t want to believe that the little guy can’t just rise up and defeat pure evil? I do. That’s why it’s fantasy.
THIS IS NOT THAT BOOK. Be forewarned. THIS IS MUCH, MUCH BETTER. Evie Manieri h
Alex McGilvery
Evie Manieri does a fantastic job of creating a fascinating world for the action of Blood’s Pride. In a series, the world becomes a character in the story and is shaped and reshaped by the action. There are some really wonderful things happening here. We are given hints of odd magic. There are old gods who watch and care about what is going on. The single thing that caught my imagination the most was the idea of a people who lived in darkness and at night, who burned in the sun. What was best wa ...more
Mieneke
An interview with Civilian Reader first made me aware of Evie Manieri's debut novel Blood's Pride. It sounded really good, plus I saw several people be very complimentary about it on Twitter. So when I had the chance to review it, I jumped. It turns out that the people of Twitter spoke truly when they said Blood's Pride was a wonderful debut. It is a wonderful epic fantasy tale, with a close personal feel. On the book jacket there is a quote from Fantasy Faction that says "Combine Trudi Canavan ...more
Deniz
1.5Stars rounded up

Struggled through this one!

A totally frustrating read. While it seems to have all the ingredients for a good book. It totally fell short in the delivery.
Not epic fantasy - just a long book with a couple of good ideas added to the usual same old and rather tedious writing.

I had high hopes for this Blood's Pride. It sounded like exactly my kinda book. So I was rather pleased when I got approved to read the ARC.
After reading the prologue, this impression was confirmed. I was sur
Burgoo
Evie Manieri describes herself as a fan of intricacies. I would describe the plotting of The Wire as intricate, where certain actions don’t pay off for 1 or maybe 2 seasons. Blood’s Pride must be a whole other sort of intricate, most likely meaning cramming as much as possible into a single story.

The story of Blood’s Pride takes place a generation after the city state of Shadar is conquered by the seafaring Norlanders. The Norlanders have come in order to control magical ore which can only be fo
Blood’s Pride, in the end, left me incredibly frustrated. The world and cultures show incredible potential, but the plot and characters are completely lacking. Awkwardly paced, with events that never seem to stop happening and characters that you’ve probably read about in a hundred other books before, Blood’s Pride never really surfaces. Too many events, too many battles, uninteresting characters, and a clunky plot bog down this book, which is unfortunate because juxtaposed to that is some great ...more
Jaclyn
Blood’s Pride is a debut epic fantasy series. Blood’s Pride begins with the Norlanders’ invasion of Shadar and the conquering of the Shardari people. A generation since the invasion has passed and the Shardari want to be free from the Norlanders so they have hired the Mongrel, a scarred mercenary, to overthrow the Norlanders. When the Mongrel steps in it is unclear what side of the rebellion she is on. Does the Mongrel have a legitimate reason to support the Norlanders or has she given all of he ...more
Matthew
Most authors shy away from having so many main characters for fear of losing the interest of readers or lack of skill in creating so many unique voices. This was skillfully done though. Each character was well developed, and the interwoven stories were gracefully written in such a way that not only did I not lose track of who was who, I was drawn even deeper into the overall story by following the various perspectives. Overall this book was a joy to read and had one of the best first book in ser ...more
Celine
3.5 Stars

When I was fourteen, I absolutely loved fantasy books. I read Terry Goodkind's tomes back to back, and basically finished all epic fantasy books in our library. Enter Goodreads and blogging. I fell in love with urban fantasy, then with paranormal romance, and then with YA. Fantasy books went forgotten and gathered dust. Blood's Pride is the first straight up fantasy book I have read in years.

Blood's Pride is set in the Shadar, a desert city next to the sea. Towering over the city is a
Ryan Viergutz
How did I forget to ramble about this? It was AMAZING. It's ... surprisingly hard to describe. The big picture is easy to describe, it's about a group of rebels fighting against an empire, yay, right? But at its heart it's about the /people/ and Mein Bog is it one seriously bonkers character story.

It's one of those books that's almost too fast so it's hard to remember how it all goes together. But the characters are the real point of the book. Some of the POVs...

-> A pregnant woman adventurer
Heather
The book had me hooked after just a few chapters, and I powered through it, easily reading 100 pages a day and still wanting more. At first, after reading reviews on here, I was a little worried... "complicated names" and "multiple POV" and "POVs are all the same", etc? Please, anyone who wants to read this book, do yourself a big favor and ignore those negative reviews!

Well, Isa, Frea, Eofar - such complex names, I know! Multiple POVs made me worried, I love bonding to a certain character for t
Becky
Harotha and her brother Faroth were just children when the Norlanders attacked Shadar. They wanted to precious ore of the region and enslaved the Shadari as servants and miners. Now the Shadari has banded together to hire the Mongrel, a legendary mercenary who just might be able to help them overcome the Norlanders. But she has an agenda of her own.

BLOOD'S PRIDE is the first in a trilogy and that definitely became clear by the time I finished reading - there's no true cliffhanger ending but the
Ubiquitousbastard
Mostly a three star book to me, but since this is the first book in a while where I said "No!" out-loud, that's a four star book right there. I actually cared about several of the characters, including ones that grew on me throughout the book. I loved the different types of family interactions as well. I liked the fact that this wasn't a book focused on one character for the most part; I tend to like ensemble-y books, and this didn't disappoint in that. Also, the author didn't linger too long on ...more
Fantasy Literature
Blood’s Pride is a debut fantasy from Eve Manieri that unfortunately reads not so much like a first novel, with all the usual attendant issues of a first novel, but more like an early draft of a first novel. There’s the very strong opening scene that one could see perhaps sparking the whole idea, a few intriguing “what if one character did this to another character” plot points to create both internal and external conflicts at the outset, and several neat background ideas concepts with regard to ...more
Neil
I thoroughly enjoyed Blood's Pride. I loved the uniqueness of the world Maniri made for her story, and the characters made it real. The character development continued though out the book, and I was good to not only see them fleshed out, but to grow as well. It's been hard to enjoy a book since I burned through what is currently written of A Song of Ice and Fire (it being of such a high caliber), but Maniri provided just such a book. I was lucky for the impulse that persuaded me to pick up Blood ...more
Wendy
Evie Manieri has birthed a new world where three tribes with radically different customs exist. She begins the series with intrigue and an uprising while developing rich characters.

She left me wanting more ... I guess that is where book 2 and 3 come in. Really can't want to see what happens next to the Mongrel, Jachi and the baby, Rho and Dramash and if there can be peace with all the tribes.

I also love the original work since there are so many books of this genre that follow a formula.

Kudos! W
JJ DeBenedictis
Despite my lacklustre rating, this novel does some things well, so let me start by talking about those. The world building in this book is quite neat, provided you replace the word "world" with "people". It's the characters who are interesting.

For example, the novel opens with some seriously freaky creatures invading a city, and then in the next scenes, the story humanizes those creatures. Yes, they're white-skinned, blue-blooded, telepathic humanoids who do not emote, who burn in sunlight, and
Whitney
* Normally I try to post a more personal opinions on my goodreads account, however I read this book almost a year ago and forgot to add it to my goodreads. Instead, I am going to post the review that went up for Portland Book Review:

Blood’s Pride by Evie Manieri is a breathtaking romp through a high adventure fantasy world. For twenty years the Shadari have been slaves to the Norlanders, also known as the Dead Ones, a sun sensitive race from the snowy mountains across the sea. The Shadari have f
Katherine
I read BLOOD'S PRIDE because I'd seen some good hype on SF/F sites and the various reviewer's blurbs looked interesting. It was well worth the effort as I enjoyed the book.

I've seen some poor reviews because of the character's names and the sheer number of characters with which the book opens. I didn't have a problem with that. I thought the characters were easy to distinguish and follow. As for odd naming, names are always idiosyncratic. I liked and identified with most of the characters and fo
Zie Renea
Hmm, I have mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, the plot is great and very intricate (just how I like my plots!) and the world is well-built and complex (just how I like my worlds!). That being said, let's break this down:

The characters are somewhat subpar and underdeveloped. I'd say each of them had perhaps one real trait (Frea: psychosis, Daryan: feeling like he isn't good enough, Jachad: his humor). They are characters in separate situations who are dragged along by the plot. Tha
Nicole Hanson
Ah-maze-ing.Those who are complaining about names and POV shifts are missing out on an awesome story for no good reason. I found the plot to be delightfully thick, the characters to be heartbreakingly human, and the voice to be superb. This book deserves a much higher rating.
Crini
Thanks to a rough start I had troubles keeping characters apart which means I didn't care for them for a long time. The 2nd half was a lot better though and the end fantastic! I'm pretty sure that I would add another star when I reread it.

Can't wait to read the 2nd book!
Kaora
I actually really enjoyed this book. It kept me turning the pages!

There are a lot of characters, so sometimes I had to stop and remember who was who. The sword names were a bit cheesy as well, but it was non-stop action and I think a very interesting world.
Sam
Really liked it, a good fantasy with some nice character development and interesting setting. You know you like a book when you start thinking about the characters when you're not reading it - and then try to get back to reading it as soon as possible!
M.A. Ray
Amazing. Intricate, complex, just wow. I wept at the ending-- and as I write this I am literally weeping that there is no more to read. Ms. Manieri, please finish the second one soon.
Louis
Blood's Pride consists of an intricate world with fully rounded characters which can appeal to a wide audience, even those not accustomed to epic fantasy. This is a must read.
mandy
Incredible. I loved every word of this story. Meiran is now one of my favorite heroines, and I'm eagerly anticipating the sequel.
  • Quintessence
  • Firebrand (Rebel Angels, #1)
  • The Dead of Winter  (Cora Oglesby #1)
  • Elisha Barber (The Dark Apostle, #1)
  • Seven Princes (Books of the Shaper, #1)
  • The Winds of Khalakovo (Lays of Anuskaya, #1)
  • The Leopard
  • Knife Sworn (Tower and Knife Trilogy, #2)
  • The Red Knight
  • The Black Guard (The Long War, #1)
  • Nights of Villjamur (Legends of the Red Sun, #1)
  • A Guile of Dragons (A Tournament of Shadows, #1)
  • The Unremembered (The Vault of Heaven, #1)
  • Herald of the Storm (Steelhaven, #1)
  • The Grim Company (The Grim Company, #1)
  • Vengeance (The Tainted Realm #1)
  • Gemsigns (®Evolution, #1)
  • Seven Forges (Seven Forges, #1)
Evie Manieri graduated from Wesleyan University with a degree in Mediaeval History and Theatre, disciplines that continue to influence her work in about equal measure. She is enthralled by intricacy, and when not weaving together the threads of her plots, she can be found knitting airy lace shawls and singing Renaissance polyphony. Evie lives with her family in New York.
More about Evie Manieri...
Fortune's Blight (Shattered Kingdoms, #2)