Start by marking “Mr. Archimedes' Bath” as Want to Read:
Mr. Archimedes' Bath

Pamela Allen

Mr. Archimedes' Bath

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  505 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Mr Archimedes and his friends try to work out why the water always overflows when they all have a bath. This book won the Ashton Scholastic Award for the Best-designed illustrated Children's Book 1980.
Hardcover
Published June 1st 1991 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published November 27th 1986)

Jamie
When reading this to a small group of children, some of them enjoyed this, others thought it just silly and a couple thought it to be on the lame side. So a very mixed reaction.

Those that liked it got a kick out of Mr Archimedes trying to figure out what was happening with the bath water. One child kept laughing because the man is naked (and if you do not want your children seeing a naked cartoon guy avoid this book) and sent the kids on some giggle fits. Others were bored with the repetition. T
Elma Branigan
Mr Archimedes’ Bath by Pamela Allen

Mr Archimedes’ bath is always overflowing and he is left to tidy up the mess. But he cannot figure out who is causing the bath to overflow. He accuses Kangaroo, Goat and Wombat of overflowing the bath but then he realises that they are not causing the problem. They all take turn in getting in and out of the bath, making the water go up and down. Finally they realise that it is Mr Archimedes who is causing the bath to overflow. In the end, everyone jumps into th
Jack Kirby and the X-man
This book is a great introduction to the world of science for a young child.

It is inspired by the story of the original "Eureka" moment, when Archimedes stepped into the bath - the displacement of the water gave him the idea of how to solve a problem for the king.

In this picture book version the problem is that that the bath keeps overflowing. Who is causing the problem - is it the goat, the kangaroo, the wombat or Mr Archimedes himself? The Eureka moment is that Mr Archimedes discovers (throug
Michelle McBeth
At first, this book seems sensible. The bath keeps overflowing and Mr. Archimedes wants to know why. So he measures the water before taking a bath. Then he has one animal at a time get out of the bath to see who is causing the overflow. He remeasures the water each time.

But pretty quickly we are introduced to Mr. Archimedes' very gross naked backside. I could not think of one reason why this was necessary for this story. And why was he taking his bath will all of his animals? The math lesson of
Deanna
Good for the very basic principle discovered by Archimedes regarding buoyancy. Very basic. I wouldn't let my kids look at the book while I read it however because Mr. Archimedes was naked jumping in and out of the bathtub with his kangaroo and other other animal friends. I can't begin to express how absurd this is to me.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance

Every day it’s the same story: Mr. Archimedes, the goat, the kangaroo, and wombat climb into the bathtub and the water spills over the tub. Mr. Archimedes is determined to get to the heart of the problem. Funny little take on an old story.

Best_books
Funny book which also helps explain a basic scientific principle. Made even more enjoyable for adult reader and child listener when the animal characters overflowing the bath are given different voices/accents ... Hours of fun!
Kettlestitch Press
A superb exploration of scientific principle for two-year-olds.
Mckinley
He bathes with a bunch of Australian animals.
Emkoshka
I have the vague feeling that I learnt about Archimedes and his 'Eureka!' moment as a child from reading this book. Bathtime was never the same again! As an adult, this book strikes me as somewhat perverse. Blobby wobbly naked old man jumps in and out of the bath with a kangaroo, wombat and goat. And yes, there's plenty of backside nudity. Sorry, but I found it gross.
Linda
I'm considering NOT reading this to my inquisitive kids... in...out...in...out...in....but why deny them a eureka moment of their own? Off now to read it to Connor.

Oh well - C (6) told me what the funny man was doing to the bath water by page 3. The Eureka moment was mine.
Sally
OMG, I remember absolutely loving this one SO MUCH! I'd totally forgotten about it until I just randomly stumbled across it two minutes ago!
Ryan
Mr archimdes found out that,when the water went up,he was the one who make the water go up and down.
Hope
Water level in the bath going up and down and Mr. Archimedes blaming the animals. Favorite book for children.
Sophie
A Pamela Allen classic. To be read and re-read by children of all ages.
cy
We read this for maths...
Tammy
Made me laugh out loud.
Hady
Hady added it
Jan 25, 2015
Michael Gordon
Michael Gordon marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Donna Geoghegan
Donna Geoghegan marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Suvi Kiri
Suvi Kiri marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
  • Mister Magnolia
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat (Picture Puffin)
  • Are We There Yet?: A Journey Around Australia
  • Window
  • My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes
  • Dirty Bertie
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • The Elephant and the Bad Baby
  • Avocado Baby
  • Max (Reading Rainbow Book)
  • Ten In The Den
  • Gorilla
  • The Cow Who Fell in the Canal
  • Lotta's Bike
  • Wombat Divine
  • Jamela's Dress
  • The Animal Boogie PB w CD (Sing Along With Fred Penner)
  • Edwina the Emu
Pamela Allen, born in April 1934, in Devonport, New Zealand[1] is a children's writer and illustrator. She has published over 30 picture books since 1980, when she moved to Australia. Eight of her books have been adapted for the stage by The Patch Theatre Company and performed at the Sydney Opera House. Pamela currently lives in Auckland.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamela_A...)
More about Pamela Allen...
Who Sank the Boat? Belinda Mr McGee Mr Mcgee And The Biting Flea (Picture Puffins) Alexander's Outing