Start by marking “The Boy Next Door” as Want to Read:
The Boy Next Door

The Boy Next Door

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  761 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
When they were young, Fred and Mickey thought that nothing could tear them apart. They were wrong.

Now, Mickey is a single mother, and Fred is on the verge of getting married. But when they see each other for the first time in fifteen years, they'll discover what happens when true love hits close to home.

"Frothy, romantic." (Daily Mail, London)
Published May 7th 2002 by Berkley (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy Next Door

Rashika (is tired)
Even with the bad writing style and the bland narration style, this story somehow managed to captivate me. I fell in love with this book.

I ended up buying this book on whim. The reviews hadn't been particularly hopeful and neither had the rating but I've always been a sucker for second chance romances so I ended up ordering this. At first I was sure I had made a bad choice, the writing style grated on my nerves and I was skimming some sentences. There was too much thinking and not enough doing.
Mayu
Tenía tantas, pero tantas ganas de leerlo... Lo empecé con toda la ilusión del mundo, y al poco de empezar El chico de al lado, me di cuenta de que esta novela no era lo que esperaba. Josie Lloyd me defraudó profundamente. Tenía las bases para crear una bonita historia de amor, pero solo uso sus ingredientes base para explotarlos a base de drama, traiciones, y estupideces humanas.

Fue un libro con el que no conecté, sus letras me parecieron sosas, frías, insípidas, aburridas, y la historia que co
Paul
Nov 10, 2013 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2013
For all those parents that have had to read and read and read We're going on a bear hunt, this is for you.

The images are in the same vein, and the rhyme follows the same tempo, but it is about a parents night out san children on a pub crawl. Very amusing and a great parody of the original.
Paula  Phillips
Mar 10, 2014 Paula Phillips rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Growing up as children we are shown and introduced to the world and song of We're going on a Bear Hunt. So when I saw that an Adult Parody had been written , I just knew I had to put my name down at the local library for a copy and read it. I loved it, a really quick read this book and yes as you read it - you have to sing the tune features four parents who have hired a babysitter for the night and are off on a pub crawl because they're not old. This parody follows them on their journeys as the ...more
Naomi
Aug 22, 2013 Naomi rated it liked it
I loved the story of Fred and Mickey but I didn't like so much that it was presented in two perspectives.It was a little bit boring to read about the same thing again and sometimes the flashbacks in time bothered me. They were confusing becasue they weren't separated in a new chapter, and the intertwisting of the present with the past made the stroy so ambiguous. I didn't like the characters so much either because I felt that they weren't so well-presented, so I didn't sympathize with them. The ...more
Dilushani Jayalath
Being the second book of that same name I’ve read, I would like to point out that I liked the other book very much. Well the other book being The Boy Next Door by Fitzpatrick, I guess it would be quite hard to reach that level. This book is a typical book about second chances. Boy and girl meet and become friends when they are kids, falls in love during their teenage years, get separated due to a huge problem the boy or the girl has to keep a secret, they meet when they are older, One of the two ...more
Topping & Company Booksellers of Ely
Hilarious! A great parody of Michael Rosen's 'We're going on a bear hunt.' The brilliant pictures and verse made us chuckle nostalgically over this slightly less innocent version!

Katie & Rebecca
Laura Burdekin
Jan 19, 2016 Laura Burdekin rated it it was ok
The blurb on the back of this made me think I would really enjoy it, but I was slightly disappointed. The constant switching between the past and present felt out of place in a way. It was too jolted - not a smooth transition between the two. I found it a hard book to read for this reason. I had to force myself to carry on until the end, as it would have been so easy to stop and give up on it altogether - something which I hate doing. The story had potential, but this was lacking a certain somet ...more
Cruth
"

Author: Josie Lloyd & Emlyn Rees
Illustrator: Gillian Johnson
First Published: 2013

One of those adult parodies that takes a classic children's book and twists it.

We've loved Rosen's We're Going on a Bear Hunt. It really is a classic, a book that gets the child involved and interested. Repetitive language with some nice onomatopoeia and a story that cumulates. It has certainly entered the cultural
Mighty_k24
Jun 06, 2012 Mighty_k24 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In't kort: Mickey en Fred wonen in dezelfde straat, in het ingeslapen stadje Rushton, en delen alles, als beste-vrienden-voor-het-leven. Tot een dramatische gebeurtenis (die pas naar het einde toe duidelijk wordt) een abrupt einde maakt aan hun vriendschap.
Vijftien jaar later staat Fred op het punt te gaan trouwen, wanneer hij Mickey opnieuw tegen het lijf loopt. Na de initiële onwennigheid lijkt het alsof ze elkaar nooit hebben moeten missen. Het mag uiteraard wel duidelijk zijn hoe dit afloopt
Willow
I have this thing for romantic Brit lit. I don't know what it is, or why it happened, but I know that it started here with this book. This was the book I picked up on a whim while I was in the midst of all the classics and modern dismal depression of Required Reading in school, and it was here that I fell in love with a different sort of story.

I loved Fred and Mickey. Going between the past and present was done seamlessly and in a way that had me wanting more NOW. Why did this happen? Where did
Domenica Apriceno
storia carina, ma senza carica...

non mi ha entusiasmato molto, una letture lenta, e poi nn aveva quella carica che un libro di solito trasmette, anzi un po scadente a tratti. mi aspettavo che l'incontro con il suo passato cioè il suo amore era più dettagliato nel presente, è stato senza grandi colpi di scena..
Robyn Drummond
Nov 12, 2013 Robyn Drummond rated it really liked it
I really love when Josie and Emlyn write together! I love seeing the two sides to a relationship! The only problems I had with this story was that the chapters were long, it's silly but because I'm OCD I need shorter chapters so I can go to sleep at night! Also it would have been nice to have the past and present separate. I liked it how it was but I would have preferred that. I understand why they wrote it like they did but it's more personal preference. But the ending was so sweet and it kept ...more
ButtesChaumont
Rekisteröin kirjan BookCrossing.com-sivustolla!
Ann Nestor
Jun 03, 2012 Ann Nestor rated it it was ok
I also read this on holidays and the story line was interesting. It was hard to juggle the book as it changed from Frd back to Mickey and the flashbacks they had as they remembered their childhood with each other. I thought that the storyline at the end was a bit rushed and 'far fetched' with the incident with Freds dad Miles and his business. After Rebecca tells Fred about her affair with his best friend, we do not hear of the conversation of the break up but we are left to presume that the wed ...more
Calila
Aug 10, 2011 Calila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una narración que algunas veces se puede tornar lenta y cansadara, pero que de alguna forma es necesaria para ingresar al mundo interior de cada uno de los personajes, lo que significó para ellos el pasado y que de alguna manera los hace ser hoy lo que son.
Es una historia muy linda y tierna, de un amor puro, de esos que se mantienen y fortalecen. Esos que lo llevan de nuevo a uno a la época de la adolescencia y a las mariposas en el estomago.
Muy recomendado.
Anni
May 21, 2015 Anni rated it it was amazing
Lovely story and easy read.
Inmaculada
Bonita historia de amor.
Annie
Mar 31, 2012 Annie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
Fred is soon to be married, when he meets Mickey, his old next door neighbour and best friend who he hasn't seen for years. The story skips between past and present, describing his relationship with Mickey and what split them apart. It was slow to start with but the second half was good.
Calton Bolick
More gimmick than whole novel. Predictable romance, as long-separated childhood friends and neighbors reconnect. You can pretty much see the plot points -- and ending -- approaching from a mile away, and about the only real interest lies in the alternating he said-she said chapters.
Mire
Nov 24, 2011 Mire rated it liked it
Eh, a nice short read in a book that I will soon forget reading. I did however enjoy the love story and the characters were endearing enough, although maybe a bit plain. Not a masterpiece, not gripping, just a nice, feel-good book to enjoy by the pool.
Marloes
Mar 15, 2010 Marloes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably my first book that I read in English, since High school.... Lost it though....

But it was so sweet, and wonderfull and romantic... I like it a lot! I read it over 8 years ago but still remember the cover....
Ashleigh
Aug 30, 2010 Ashleigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this lovely easy to read love story. I am a sucker for romance and this certainly did the job! Its a story about first love and revisiting that first love years later.
Ileana
Jul 26, 2012 Ileana rated it really liked it
Hubo unas partes en las que sentí que iba lento, pero me gustó la historia. Aunque el final, ese sí que no me gustó, no sé, yo esperaba MÁS, pero supongo que si estuvo bien.
Francesca
Apr 16, 2011 Francesca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant, dazzling and mind blowing of a book. i defanly recomment this book, it has it all from first love, first kiss,heartbreak and mystrey. you will not want it to end.
Buggy
Opening Line: "Action,' Eddie calls from outside, and I step through the living-room doorway and out on to the sunlit terrace."
Kai
Mar 22, 2010 Kai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
This was a very quick and easy read and quite enjoyable. A bit fluffy and light. I loved the flashbacks in time as well.
Anastasia Adams
Jun 20, 2011 Anastasia Adams rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I cannot fault this book at all, seriously!It has everything you need in a story. I am so glad it has happy ending :D
Susu
Jun 04, 2013 Susu rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
He said - she said ... A very predictable story about first love, meeting again. Somewhat like bland popcorn...
Anna
Apr 27, 2010 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting idea of meeting up by chance with your childhood sweetheart. Can that innocent love survive adulthood?
  • Talking to Addison