Start by marking “The Difference Between God and Larry Ellison*: Inside Oracle Corporation; *God Doesn't Think He's Larry Ellison” as Want to Read:

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  215 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Mike Wilson has interviewed more than a hundred of Ellison's friends and enemies - as well as Ellison himself - to create an entertaining and provocative portrait of this enigmatic and visionary businessman. '
Published November 4th 1998 by Harper Perennial (first published November 5th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Difference Between God and Larry Ellison*, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Difference Between God and Larry Ellison*

Peopleware by Tom DeMarcoThe Pragmatic Programmer by Andrew HuntThe Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro CremadesThe Design of Everyday Things by Donald A. NormanThe Mythical Man Month by Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
Fog Creek Software Management Training Program
67th out of 121 books — 63 voters
Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared DiamondThe Difference Between God and Larry Ellison* by Mike WilsonThe Checklist Manifesto by Atul GawandeThe Score Takes Care of Itself by Bill   WalshThe Creative Destruction of Medicine by Eric Topol
testing
2nd out of 5 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Janet
Sep 17, 2009 Janet rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ya gotta admit, Lawrence Joseph Ellison, founder of Oracle Corporation, is a potentially fascinating subject for a novel, but not for this one. The title itself is a give-away, and I’d not have chosen this particular book myself rather it chose me...ending up in my book basket The author has a seemingly endless dislike for the charismatic Mr. Ellison, and this gloomy aura permeates the entire read. One wonders how author Mike Wilson ever had the privilege of speaking with Ellison once much less ...more
Lydia K.p
Feb 24, 2016 Lydia K.p added it
Shelves: re-read
Before judging Larry Ellison, you need to learn about the beginning from his childhood, raised by an old aunt, to the start of the project "Oracle" to build the # 1 database used around the world; from the CIA to national and multinational organizations in more than 142 countries. The lesson to me is inspiring because Larry Ellison success is about being DIFFERENT and STANDING OUT in the crowd. Larry Ellison is a visionary. Indeed, he started with internet applications. How do you pay your utili ...more
Rahul Mahindru
Jul 09, 2015 Rahul Mahindru rated it really liked it
It was really awesome and inspiring. What a man he is. He is stupid sometimes but some of things was astonishing ' he didn't ever care about past. He always talked about future'. He was daring to take risks. He had guts. He always believed, ' work is act of creation.'

I loved some of things about him
1). Always optimistic and thought in future never about past.
2). He didn't sell shares and took loan on them because he always believed in his work. He knew his shares or work will be more worth in fu
Manu
Oct 07, 2014 Manu rated it really liked it
Epitome of master marketing stuff where you screwed up everything and still ends to be a billionaire.....But in the hindsight you lost to Bill Gates.
Mugen
Apr 08, 2015 Mugen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read a chapter or two before giving up on this book. He's written some juicy stuff no doubt but I wasn't gaining more interest on the subject. I feel like I couldn't care less whether he did X or did Y. What's in it for me? And besides the juicy gossip (about which I found what he had written to not be true) there's nothing else that answers the question.

I kept it on my shelf for a long time hoping that someday I would pick it up again. But nopes. It's not happening. So I'm dropping this book.
Wolfgang
Die Biographie von Larry Ellison ist im wesentlichen eine Biographie der Datenbankfirma Oracle. Davor gab es wenig, was im Leben von Mr. Ellison eone größere, wichtige Rolle spielte. Nach Lektüre der Biographie versteht man den Software-Giganten Oracle und kann nachvollziehen, woher manch unpopuläre Entscheidung getrieben wird. Das Buch erschien bereits 1997, ergo bleiben die Ereignisse der letzten 10+ Jahre leider unberücksichtigt.
Charlane Brady
He was unquestionably the entertainer of Silicon Valley for years and not sure if anyone else has reached his level of *self-promotion*. The only parts I found interesting were the parts regarding the beginning of Oracle.

Nita
May 09, 2008 Nita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I'm mighty thrilled to be working at Oracle! The current edition ends with 2003. A humungous lot happened after that--for instance, major takeovers! I wait with baited breath to see what Mike Wilson has to say about all that.
Maura
Feb 05, 2012 Maura rated it liked it
So anti-Larry that I'd like to hear the other side. But lots of juicy details about this supposed megalomaniac.
Jeanne
Jun 30, 2012 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Interesting read about an unlikeable guy with craters of money and tastes to match.
Shalabh Bindal
May 17, 2011 Shalabh Bindal rated it really liked it
I think this is an interesting book to read.
Sean
Sean added it
Aug 25, 2016
Greg Augustine
Greg Augustine marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Ana Pais Correia
Ana Pais Correia marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Mike
Mike added it
Aug 19, 2016
IntiFx
IntiFx rated it did not like it
Aug 16, 2016
Dmitry Sandalov
Dmitry Sandalov marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Fsgaston
Fsgaston marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Tom
Tom rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2016
Shubham
Shubham marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Rohit Agarwal
Rohit Agarwal marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Julie
Julie added it
Jul 27, 2016
Kim Halavakoski
Kim Halavakoski marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Sergio
Sergio marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Vasiliy Sushko
Vasiliy Sushko marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Kitso Magwadi
Kitso Magwadi marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Haylie
Haylie marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Faseeh
Faseeh marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Martin Rigby
Martin Rigby rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
  • Burn Rate : How I Survived the Gold Rush Years on the Internet
  • The PayPal Wars: Battles with eBay, the Media, the Mafia, and the Rest of the Planet Earth
  • Amazonia: Five Years at the Epicenter of the Dot.Com Juggernaut
  • High Stakes, No Prisoners : A Winner's Tale of Greed and Glory in the Internet Wars
  • The Macintosh Way
  • In Search of Stupidity: Over 20 Years of High-Tech Marketing Disasters
  • The First $20 Million Is Always the Hardest
  • The Business of Software: What Every Manager, Programmer, and Entrepreneur Must Know to Thrive and Survive in Good Times and Bad
  • 21 Dog Years: Doing Time @ Amazon.com
  • Ben & Jerry's: The Inside Scoop: How Two Real Guys Built a Business with a Social Conscience and a Sense of Humor
  • Startup: A Silicon Valley Adventure
  • The Anatomy of Buzz: How to Create Word of Mouth Marketing
  • Death March
  • Bill & Dave: How Hewlett and Packard Built the World's Greatest Company
  • Testing Computer Software
  • Show Stopper!: The Breakneck Race to Create Windows NT and the Next Generation at Microsoft
  • Measuring and Managing Performance in Organizations