Start by marking “Mr. Putter & Tabby Fly the Plane” as Want to Read:
Mr. Putter & Tabby Fly the Plane

Mr. Putter & Tabby Fly the Plane (Mr. Putter & Tabby #5)

Mr. Putter loves toys. He’s old and he knows he shouldn’t love them anymore. But he does. His fine cat, Tabby, however, does not. She’s especially bothered by toys that fly. So when Mr. Putter brings home a little toy biplane that’s supposed to really fly, he and Tabby are in for quite an adventure.
Published April 1st 1997 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published March 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Putter & Tabby Fly the Plane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Putter & Tabby Fly the Plane

The Reading Countess
Mar 21, 2011 The Reading Countess rated it it was amazing
Listen carefully, little children-for this, too, will happen to you. One day you will wake up and look in the mirror, and wonder who the old person is looking back at you. Sure, you will have fond memories of times long gone. People, places and things no longer in your life. You might even buy a toy plane because you never owned such a fancy flying machine and always longed for one. Soon, neighborhood children will begin clamoring to be near you (and the plane). One shy and clumsy little boy ...more
Dolly
Apr 06, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, pets, aviation, 2010
We really enjoy Cynthia Rylant's stories and the Mr. Putter and Tabby series of books are fun to read aloud. I love the perspective of an older person and I think it helps children understand more about senior citizens. The story is sweet and we enjoyed the ending very much.
Karen
Jun 29, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: jacob, mom, dad
Jacob read this to us as part of the LQ Library summer reading program. Ben started teaching Jacob how to tell others about the story he read. This is something we are going to start working on with the kids this year in school.
Danette
Oct 23, 2016 Danette rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Read with Julia.
Lisa Campbell
Categories/Genres for this class fulfilled by this book, Fiction, Picture book, Early reader
Estimate of grade level of interest-K-2 grade
Estimate of reading level- 6-8 years
Brief description-Love Mr Putter and Tabby! In this volume, the story explores Mr Putter's love of toys, and Tabby's aversion to them! The illustrator perfectly captures Tabby's feelings/facial expressions, as Mr Putter brings home a remote control bi-plane and works at flying! Identify at least 2 characteristics of this genr
Shannon
This is #5 in the series.

09/12: We read all the "Mr. Putter & Tabby" books ages ago. But, we love them so much, that we still read the newest ones whenever they come out. Recently, "Mr. Putter & Tabby Dance the Dance" was released. We enjoyed it so much. Made us miss the series. And, Mr. Putter's birthday is October 2, so we are revisiting the books again.

Amazon Book Description:
Chantelle
May 11, 2015 Chantelle rated it it was amazing
My son and I both thoroughly enjoyed every book in this series (through #18; the rest weren't published / available at our library yet). Mrs. Rylant's sentence structure is simple enough for beginning readers to enjoy but don't let that fool you! Each book contains an engaging plot, clever & silly humor, and underlying themes of friendship, thoughtfulness, and responsibility. We spent many hours laughing together at the (mis)adventures of Mr. Putter, Tabby, and their friends. We were excited ...more
Rachael
Jul 03, 2014 Rachael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rylant is admittedly one of my favorite authors. This particular series strikes me as it reminds me of my relationship with my previous cat, Snakes. This book is chock full o' sentimentality and pet-loving goodness. Her characters are always endearing and this particular book sheds light on Mr. Putter's boyhood dreams.

Definitely a must-read.

I will admit it made me tear up a bit, and also believe in the goodness of humanity again.

Blake
Apr 09, 2016 Blake rated it really liked it
Shelves: elementary
Another fun Putter and Tabby story. I've noticed that I like the stories with only Putter and Tabby the best. Though neighbors Mrs. Teabury and dog Zeke are fun characters, I prefer stories without them. That said, all of the stories are worth reading. So far I've rated stories with only Putter and Tabby, like this one, with four stars and those which also include Mrs. Teabury and Zeke with three stars.
Amy
Jul 20, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Recommended to Amy by: Katrina
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
This was a sweet, touching book, and I enjoyed reading it. The kids seemed to like it, too. My nephew was troubleshooting Mr. Putter's airplane problems, and my niece was indignant that the thought should be put out there that old people shouldn't like toys. The book engaged the kids, and it speaks to the inner child in adults. Mr. Putter and Tabby are very likable characters.
Ann Christensen
Nov 17, 2008 Ann Christensen rated it it was amazing
Loved it! What I like about the series is that is about an old grandpa and who is kind of old. I think it helps kids to see things from others point of view besides other kids their own or similar age! Very endearing story about generosity!
Beyond the Pages
Mar 03, 2014 Beyond the Pages rated it really liked it
My kids and I listened to the audio version of this book. Like always, we enjoyed it immensely. I thought it was endearing. The Mr. Putter and Tabby books are wonderful.

I secured a copy of this title from the public library.
Schmobes
Feb 21, 2015 Schmobes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kiddo's first completed "chapter" book. He did a great job with this one! The story was cute and interesting enough to make him want to read on. This is probably Level 2 or 3. We did have some vocabulary to cover and a few rules to review. But it wasn't overwhelming for him.
Kristine Hansen
Jul 14, 2014 Kristine Hansen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-easy-reader
These earlier books are perfect - realistic and not too silly. I love the way Mr. Putter interacts with the kids, admits his liking for toys, and is such an honest and REAL character. Tabby is perfect. I would go back and re-read these early ones over and over and I'm an adult!
Alexis
Nov 25, 2008 Alexis rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone of my friends little bros or sis!! ha ha
Shelves: picture-books
I used to love these when I was little. I used to always check them out at the library!! This one and Mr. Putter and Tabby bake a cake were my favorite! I loved them , and still think they are SUPER cute.
Jasmine Roberson
a old man and his cat friend go and fly a toy motor air plane for fun. the old man remembers when he was a boy
Rachel Ferguson
Jul 03, 2015 Rachel Ferguson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-reader
Mr putter is sweet. he gives his plane to the little boy who reminds him of himself. tabby seems old and cranky but she loves Mr putter.
Alaina Sloo
Jul 16, 2013 Alaina Sloo rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite early reader series. Sweet, gentle stories that many kids love, perfect for kindergarten through 2d grade.
Alicia
Sep 20, 2013 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good choice for story time. If you are reading to toddler age, it may be too long, but is good for the 5 - 8 year old range, and it was enjoyed by the adults as well. :)
Andrea
Oct 09, 2011 Andrea rated it liked it
Cute book. Talks about how Mr. Putter's enjoyment of toys influence his cat and the children in the neighborhood. Also shows a good deed and kindness.
Chessa
Oct 20, 2015 Chessa rated it it was amazing
August loved this book and read it all himself (5.5). He liked the idea of warm english muffins the best. I liked when Mr Putter felt like a proud grandpa. We love this series!
Tobinsfavorite
Mar 05, 2011 Tobinsfavorite rated it really liked it
I love Tabby. I love how a few lines and splashes of color define the attitudes of a cat. Plus, this is another funny Putter&Tabby book.
Dree
Feb 22, 2010 Dree rated it it was amazing
Another sweet story--which hit close to home in our house. Our cats had the same reaction to Air Hog helicopters as Tabby does to this plane.
Karen
Jul 28, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
This book is sweet, and I did like how Mr. Putter passed on the enjoyment of flying the plane at the end of the story. But I did miss Mrs. Teaberry and Zeke.
Sarah Brodsky
Sarah Brodsky rated it did not like it
May 10, 2014
Sue
Sue rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2012
Abi
Abi rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2014
Allison
Allison rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2015
L.
L. rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
Jared
Jared rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2013
  • Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa: Partners
  • Amelia Bedelia and the Cat
  • Nate the Great Goes Undercover
  • Houndsley and Catina and the Quiet Time (Houndsley and Catina, #3)
  • P. J. Funnybunny Camps Out
  • The Berenstain Bears And The Baby Chipmunk
  • Return to Ithaca (Tales from the Odyssey, #5)
  • Penny and Her Doll
  • Frog and Fly
  • Dodsworth in New York
  • Ling & Ting: Twice as Silly (Ling & Ting, #3)
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...

Mr. Putter & Tabby (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Pour the Tea