Start by marking “Bones in Her Pocket (Temperance Brennan, #15.5)” as Want to Read:
Bones in Her Pocket  (Temperance Brennan, #15.5)

Bones in Her Pocket (Temperance Brennan #15.5)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,724 ratings  ·  161 reviews
Dr Temperance Brennan is in unfamiliar territory as she races to learn the truth from the bones - before it's too late. A new, exclusive straight-to-digital short story from Kathy Reichs, world leading forensic anthropologist and No.1 bestselling author of Deja Dead, Bones Are Forever and Bones of the Lost.

Dr. Tempe Brennan has seen it all. Human bones. Animal bones. Old b
Published July 11th 2013 by Cornerstone Digital (first published July 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Bones in Her Pocket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bones in Her Pocket

Matt
Fans of the Reichs series starring Tempe Brennan will love this short story as a teaser before the next major literary release. Reichs offers up a teaser of the upcoming novel Bones of the Lost (which I left untouched) to lure her most ardent fans into devouring this quick read. When few bones turn up in a lake, Brennan must use all her forensic anthropological skills to solve this whodunit. What looks to be a simple case of ‘identify those bones’ turns into a much larger mystery, which is more ...more
Dotti Elrick

This is a very short story about our favorite forensic anthropologist. Temperance Brennan.

Even though it was short, it still kept up the usual pace and drama of a full length novel. I liked it.

Tempe is called out to an artist colony to recover what she thinks are the rest of the bones of an old skeleton. What she finds instead are the remains of a body stuffed into a bag and thrown into the lake.

The remains are that of a missing college student, Edith Blankenship.

Their main subject is a known e
Albert
Title - Bones In Her Pocket

Author - Kathy Reichs

Summary -

A canvas bag floats to the top of Mountain Island Lake in North Carolina and forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan is called in to investigate. Inside is the decomposed body of a young adult female that fits the profile of missing graduate student Edith Blankenship.

What startles Temperance even more is the small cache of bones that are located in Edith's hip and groin area. As if someone had shoved an animal inside of her. Or as Temp
Brenda
Her Saturday off, ruined by an early morning call to investigate a bag, odorous and bulging and discovered at Mountain Island Lake in the foothills of North Carolina, meant Dr Temperance Brennan was now on her way with a silent local policeman, plus the owner of the property, to pick up said bag. A few weeks prior, unidentifiable human bones had been found in the same area, and Tempe needed to see if there was a connection.

But when she began her investigation on the contents at her lab, she was
Dana
This was Ms. Reich's first foray into the e-reader short story world. I wasn't sure what this story was about, since it is very new, but I love Ms. Reich's genre, so I figured it would be about forensic science. This story had a little bit of that, but I think Ms. Reichs was trying to write a story with a message, but her message came at the end of the story, and really had absolutely nothing to do with the beginning part. Her message was about Puppy Mills and how horrible they are. The focus on ...more
Donna
Bizarre forensic details, vivid setting, deft use of dialogue, powerful social commentary. Bones in Her Pocket packs as much literary power as any of Kathy Reichs' full-length novels. Reichs fans who need their fix before the next volume in the series should be satisfied.

I have just one little quibble, however: This e-story ends at the 74% mark, the rest being reserved for a two-chapter preview of the author's next novel. It's understood that Kindle "shorts" by major authors often function as ad
Judy
It is no secret that I like the Bones series by Kathy Reichs. This was her first all digital book. It was short and uncomplicated. I think if it had been a printed book, the second set of bones would have yielded another story. As it was, the second set alluded to a story that was not investigated. The murder mystery was pretty uneventful as Bones mysteries go, but it had a couple twists and turns. The message of the book came at the end, which seemed a bit contrived. The message was a good one, ...more
Deanne
Short story set between books which are a little snack to help keep you sane whilst miss Reichs keeps you waiting for the next book.
Dale
A Review of the Audiobook

Published by Simon and Schuster Audio in December of 2013.
Read by Linda Emond
Duration: 1 hour, 56 minutes

This short story is designed to go between books 15 and 16 in the series and is the audiobook version of a kindle e-book that was released in the summer of 2013.

In Bones In Her Pocket forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan is called out to a remote location called Mountain Island Lake. It is the site of an artist colony and a raptor rescue center (they help deal
Enni
Unlike a lot of these ebook short stories Bones in her Pocket is the real deal and just what I expect from a Kathy Reichs book. In has an interesting case, enough twists and turns to keep you guessing and the unique writing style that makes Temperance Brennan my favorite fictional character of all times. Can't wait for August!!
Jeanne
This was my first experience reading on my kobo. Not bad overall but not quite the same as reading a "real" book. It was also a very light mystery and I was reading on the airplane so might not be the best way to judge. Very convenient for travel and the story itself was fine but short.
Caroline
What a joy it was to find a novella featuring my favorite heroine Temperance Brennan. "Bones in her Pocket was as good as any of Reich's full-length novels. Tempe does what she does best, lets the bones speak to her, and finds herself, yet again, in a life or death situation.
Bigd_041555
Great short story - some twists and turns and a "I didn't see that coming".

Well written, and a good lead up to her next novel being released in August. Two thumbs up and 5 stars!

John
Pretty decent for a Kindle Single, despite the weak ending. "Bones" fans will enjoy it, but I doubt the book will do much to enlarge Reichs' readership.
Gail Stewart rumsey
This is actually a short story in which the author hopes to raise awareness of the horrible conditions in puppy mills. She specifically targets NC because of their lax laws which carry very light to no penalties for animal cruelty. Tempe is investigating a disappearance/murder when she stumbles on a puppy mill where the animals suffer in deplorable conditions. The story is entertaining and at the end there are suggestions for the average person to help ban, or at least better regulate, there hor ...more
Felicia
Listened for Review (Simon & Schuster Audio)
Tracking Books Read Review (Short)
Overall Rating: 4.50
Story Rating: 4.50
Character Rating: 4.50

Audio Rating: 4.00 (Not Part of the Overall Rating)

First Thought when Finished: Bones in Her Pocket was a short Tempe story (short stories are usually not a hit with me) but it hit on a subject near and dear to my heart so I loved it!

Overall Thoughts: Bones in Her Pocket was a novella where Temperance has a case that is a little outside the norm for her. T
Vicki
I don’t watch the tv series Bones, so I didn’t start this knowing anything about it. I loved the story line, but did have a hard time hearing about the puppies. I also felt the story could have been stretched out a little longer so that you wouldn’t find out what was going on so quickly. The characters were very well developed for such a short book and I thought Linda Emond did a great job of narrating.

This was a short one, only a few hours, but it was interesting and well worth the time I spent
JayLando
A real taste of Bones and a worthwhile message. I guess it is Righteous Anger 101 but I still dig the technical specificity mixed with characterisation.

A short that can be digested in one sitting. It ends in a gospel but the trip there is so sudden.

If you have ever read a Bones book, this is what it would be without all the subplots and motivation and twists and turns. But even stripped away, the storytelling is still interesting and compelling and the science is the best in fiction.

Worth rea
Keksisbaby
Tempes Pläne für den Samstag wurden durch einen Telefonanruf sabotiert. Eigentlich hofft sie darauf, dass weitere Knochen zu einem Fall gefunden wurden, den sie gerade bearbeitet. Aber dann handelt es sich um eine stinkende Tasche mit den Überresten einer verschwundenen Studentin. Und Tempe steht wieder einmal vor einem ungeklärten Rätsel.

Ich bin seit Jahren ein großer Temperance Brennan Fan und so kam ich nicht umhin diese Novella zu lesen. Aber eigentlich hätte ich mir das auch sparen können.
Andrew
Review Taken From The Pewter Wolf

Dr Temperence Brennan has seen a lot of disturbing things in her line of work. But when she's asked to the foothills of North Carolina, she goes thinking she's going to find bones. Expect she has a bone of a young woman on her hands. And then she discovers something weird in the dead girl's pocket. Discovering this will set off a chain of events that will make Tempe discover something truly disturbing...

I liked this. Of course I'm going to say this. I like Kathy
Richard
A short, sweet and simple e-book, which actually suits Reichs better than the long fiction she's been throwing onto shelves the last half decade. With elements condensed, there's less chance of Reichs losing control of her story and it becoming as convoluted and confused as I believe her last few novels were.

The "witty banter" that makes up much of Tempe's narration is getting out of control. With every other thought a pun or punchline, a Bones story is becoming less a serious mystery that we ca
Miki101.michaela
Bones in a Pocket - of the Victim's Trousers,..., 17. Juli 2013

... at first one big puzzle for Dr Tempe Brennan, forensic anthropologist.

When our heroine is called into a private owned retiring place for artists of all kind, she hopes to find some more pieces of one John Doe MCMA-422-13 than the fibula, tibia and two vertebre she has in her cell at her lab in Charlotte/North-Carolina.
But at Mountain Island Lake which has increased in the last week over 15 feet she finds a bag. And in the bag a c
Teri Sears
Well, this was as short as promised, but at least it was a regular Tempe story! No school-girl angst over Andrew Ryan. No Pete & Summer drama. Tempe isn't flying off to parts unknown for flimsily created reasons. Just a normal whodunit mystery to be solved by Tempe and Slidell. This is the kind of storytelling that readers fell in love with, and it's good to know that Kathy Reichs still remembers how to write that way. I can only hope she resumes the trend with the next book!
Janey
I do not have an issue with short stories. I write them as a matter of fact. That being said, I do not feel that this series lends itself to short stories. There are aspects of Reich's stories that I have come to expect and short stories just do not give her time to address these aspects. While I enjoy the Brennan novels, they can be rather formulaic. What makes me not care about their formulaic nature are the relationships and banter which are very much apart of her novels. Her characterization ...more
Pam
I think I prefer Temperance in Canada...this wasn't a very special story or special mystery ... just meh! etc you know what to expect but I don't carry this expectation w/ me for each of the T.B. novels. Also had a bit of trouble 'wrapping my head around' this southern sheriff kind of interaction w/ Stinky or Spike or whomever that was. So, it was OK, especially for a picked up for a quick break out of some other reading.
Susie
This was a decent short mystery, and it dealt with a subject that is horrific. I know it seems odd that I can read mysteries dealing with all manner of horror heaped upon humans (women, more often than men), but when it comes to abused animals I cannot handle it. The subject matter is important, and I am glad that Kathy Reichs included her afterword with good information about this subject.
Nanosynergy
Patricia
This was the first Temperance Brennan book by American author, Kathy Reichs, I've read. My expectations were high as I enjoy the TV series which I understood was based on these books. I was disappointed. It didn't have the depth of science I was expecting nor the interplay of characters. I do enjoy Kathy Reichs' Viral series but this book was bland.
Kj
I love the show Bones so when I saw this short story I thought it would be a perfect way to see if I would enjoy the book but I did not like it. As a matter of fact I could not finish it because it was so dry but in fairness I downloaded a sample of her first book & I want to read it. Short stories are difficult especially when murder is involved so I will give the series the benefit of the doubt until I read an entire novel. Glad I did not spend any money on this one!!
Marianne
Bones in her Pocket is a short story available on Kindle in the Temperance Brennan series by American author, Kathy Reichs. Tempe is called out to an Artists Colony at Mountain Island Lake in North Carolina, where a bag of bones has washed up. Tempe assumed that this is part of the corpse belonging to some leg bones she has examined, until she finds this corpse already has legs. Masses of tiny bones accompanying the skeleton add an element of intrigue. This little story has a missing Environment ...more
  • Jordan's Stormy Banks (Body Farm, #7.5)
  • John Doe (Rizzoli & Isles, #9.5)
  • Busted (Will Trent, #6.5)
  • Mulholland Dive
  • I'd Kill For That
  • Death Angel (Alexandra Cooper, #15)
  • Eliza's Home: A Cypress Hollow Novella
  • The Skeleton Road
  • The Mystery of the Missing Money (The Mystery Series, Short Story 1)
  • Hope's Road
  • Ring in the Dead (J.P. Beaumont, #20.5)
  • Run to Me
  • The Kissing Season
  • Elianne
  • Saving Grace
  • Slices of Night (Stacy Killian, #4.5)
  • Just Breathe
  • Guilt (Alex Delaware, #28)
Kathy Reichs is a forensic anthropologist for the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, State of North Carolina, and for the Laboratoire des Sciences Judiciaires et de Médecine Légale for the province of Quebec. She is one of only fifty forensic anthropologists certified by the American Board of Forensic Anthropology and is on the Board of Directors of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences. A ...more
More about Kathy Reichs...
Déjà Dead (Temperance Brennan, #1) Fatal Voyage (Temperance Brennan, #4) Virals (Virals, #1) Death du Jour (Temperance Brennan, #2) Bare Bones (Temperance Brennan, #6)