Start by marking “Long Way Home (DI Zigic and DS Ferreira, #1)” as Want to Read:
Long Way Home (DI Zigic and DS Ferreira, #1)

Long Way Home (DI Zigic and DS Ferreira #1)

The launch of a major new detective series from the publishers of Henning Mankell, Arnaldur Indridason and Fred Vargas

A man is burnt alive in a suburban garden shed.

DI Zigic and DS Ferreira are called in from the Peterborough Hate Crimes Unit to investigate the murder. Their victim is quickly identified as a migrant worker and a man several people might have had good reaso
Published January 2nd 2014 by Vintage Digital (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Long Way Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long Way Home

Liz Barnsley
Nov 03, 2014 Liz Barnsley rated it it was amazing
Coming January 2014 from Harvill Secker.

Thank you so much to Eva Dolan and Alison Hennessey for the copy of this book to review.
Peterborough is changing. Migrant workers, both legal and illegal, are working in the fields, the factories and the pubs of the town. When a man is burnt alive in a suburban garden shed, it brings an unwelcome spotlight on to that world, and two detectives are faced with investigating a murder in a community that has more reason than most not to trust the police.

So, a d
Christine
Dec 09, 2014 Christine rated it it was amazing
This is a pretty exceptional perceptive crime read, full of intricate descriptions and wonderful dialogue. It is hard to believe that it is the first novel by Eva Dolan.

The story is set in Peterborough, present day, and features Zigic and Ferreira who work at the Hate Crimes Unit. We get to know Peterborough, with its poverty, migrant communities and racist undertones. Slowly we see how the landscape of a town has changed and the social problem of migrants (legal and illegal), that we so often h
Liz Barnsley
Sep 28, 2013 Liz Barnsley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Coming January 2014 from Harvill Secker.

So, a d
Icewineanne
Loved the first few chapters of this book. Unfortunately the tag line says it all - "Silence hides the worst crimes" - the investigation goes nowhere for most of the book, as no one is talking. The mid-point of the novel drags. I had to force myself to keep reading.

Far too many descriptions of dilapidated neighbourhoods, the dreary landscape, and bad bad food and/or lack of food for the detectives, gets old. The locals do not have a shred of decency when it comes to migrants. They are even into
Pat
Dec 09, 2014 Pat rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
"Long Way Home" by Eva Dolan is a debut book introducing the Hate Crimes Unit in Peterborough with DI Zigic and DS Ferreira. A man's body is discovered in a burnt shed with a padlock on the door to keep him inside. The Hate Crimes Unit is called when the man is identified as a migrant worker from Eastern Europe.

An investigation begins and the author explores the issues of immigrants coming into the UK and being exploited by gang members who take advantage of the migrants helpless situation to e
Cphe
Feb 19, 2016 Cphe rated it liked it
Police procedural and the start of a series. An interesting premise about the exploitation of migrant workers from Europe. Detectives Zigic and Detective Ferreira work for the under resourced Hate Crimes Unit and it's their job to hunt for the murderer of an itinerant worker.

The murder mystery component was strongly delivered and well plotted. There were enough twists and turns and red herrings in this novel to satisfy the most jaded reader of this genre.

I wish there had been a touch more back
Gin Oliver
May 12, 2014 Gin Oliver rated it it was amazing
The start of a good book punches you in the teeth . . . Eva Dolan’s debut novel ‘A Long Way Home’ sticks a meat hook in your guts, twists it 90 degrees then gives it a good yank.

Set in the fenish town of Peterborough, Long Way Home steps straight into the sinister world of modern day slavery and murder. Away from the gritty, hard-ass London crime scene and far removed from the light whimsy of middle class murder of Midsommer, Dolan sets the scene in a unique surrounding, supporting it with a uni
Rachel Hall
Mar 16, 2015 Rachel Hall rated it it was amazing
A fantastically assured and accomplished police procedural debut novel and a great start for the Peterborough Hate Crimes Unit in DI Zigic and DS Ferreira. From the off this pacy and taut read is brimming with tension and atmosphere. Authentic, sharp and with a compelling new team in DI Zigic and his chippy and bristling sidekick, DS Mel Ferreira.

Peterborough is crackling with animosity between the native community and the migrant influx. Realistically portrayal the heightened tension and emoti
Karen
Mar 22, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
LONG WAY HOME was released in 2014 and quickly garnered a lot of very positive comments. At which point it was placed on my reading list and then never quite nudged it's way to the top. Nothing to do with it at all, rather a propensity to be useless at prioritising books and the sudden explosion in splendid reading opportunities.

But the second book in the series, TELL NO TALES was provided as a review opportunity and it seemed a pity not to sneak in the first as a lead in. Oh what a good decisio
Shaun
Mar 17, 2015 Shaun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Having read and enjoyed Tell No Tales by Eva Dolan, I was thrilled to receive Long Way Home as part of the Goodreads book club from Dead Good Books. Tell No Tales is probably one of the best crime fiction books I have read so far this year, so I was very excited to read the first in the Zigic and Ferreira series and see how it all began.

A man is found burnt alive in a suburban garden shed. DI Zigic and DS Ferreira are called in from the Hate Crimes Unit to investigate the murder. The victim is q
Noelle
Jul 26, 2016 Noelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book almost 12 months ago and after reading it, I am kicking myself for waiting so long! The cover is stunning, the story is captivating and the characters are ...well....pretty damn awesome! If that isn't the recipe for a perfect read, I don't know what is!

Set in Peterborough, the themes of racism, immigration, politics, loss, love and betrayal can be found - although they are not all that we find in the pages of this story.

For me, the pace was set perfectly! Thrusting you full
Sandra
Jan 03, 2016 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Strongly recommended by several sources, and because Eva Dolan will be at Bloody Scotland's Crime Writers Festival, I thought this worth a punt.
And am very glad I did, despite what I presume is the terrifyingly authentic picture of the migrant's life in Britain today. Man's inhumanity to man has no ending it would seem.
But what a gripping tale and how much more I want to get to know Zigic and Ferreira.
Just a small pity that the evocation of the bleak black-earthed Fens was not echoed in the cove
Ava Marsh
May 10, 2015 Ava Marsh rated it it was amazing
A refreshingly intelligent crime novel that doesn’t baulk at tackling some controversial topics, making it particularly relevant for our current political climate. But don’t be put off if you prefer a lighter read – there’s plenty here to keep you turning the pages. Dolan knows how to create truly compelling characters, and a meaty, satisfying plot. Best of all her style is a delight, taut and precise.

Long Way Home has all the makings of a crime classic, and her next, Tell No Tales, is going st
Trine
Time take to read - 3 days

Publisher - Vintage

Pages - 400

Blurb from Goodreads

A man is burnt alive in a shed.

Tensions rise.

The clock is ticking.

But nobody wants to talk.

My Review

Detective Zigi
Selothi
Nov 18, 2014 Selothi rated it liked it
Overall, this was a good crime novel. Zigic is a fairly interesting character and the sense of place is excellent. The story takes a while to get going (I'd say I was about a third of the way through before i genuinely felt like i was reading because i wanted to know what was going to happen next), but it's got plenty of twists and turns, not to mention a lot to say about the exploitation of Eastern European migrants in Britain.

What i found off-putting was the simplistic way that Dolan characte
Tracey Walsh
Nov 24, 2014 Tracey Walsh rated it it was amazing
Harrowing, thrilling, depressing, menacing - but most of all a fabulous and gripping read.
"A man is burnt alive in a shed. No witnesses, no fingerprints - only a positive ID of the victim as an immigrant with a long list of enemies. Detectives Zigic and Ferreira are called in from the Hate Crimes Unit to track the killer, and are met with silence in a Fenland community ruled by slum racketeers, people-trafficking gangs and fear."
Like most people I've seen reports on the news about people traffic
Carol Peace
Mar 29, 2015 Carol Peace rated it really liked it
I loved this book which was one of the Dead Good book clubs pick's.
Detectives Zigic and Ferreira are part of the hate crimes departmnent and when a call comes in regarding a man found in a burnt out garden shed they are called on to track the killer. From that moment the one crime snowballs and it seems there are so many clandestine goings on in the srea they seem to pick up something else every time they interview anyone The area is riddled with migrant workers being ruled with fear and living
Deborah
Aug 05, 2015 Deborah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-group-read
Author can definitely write but this story didn't work for me. It lost its path a few times, threw in, I thought, random people to confuse you and generally was a bit of a let down. It was too long winded. Not once did I feel a flicker of emotion for anybody, not even the two main characters.

It felt like the author was trying to base them on established American crime fiction characters, the feisty female and the rugged male.

In all fairness though; Ruth Rendell is, was, the best crime writer in
Sunnie
May 17, 2015 Sunnie rated it it was amazing
Stunning debut novel by Eva Dolan. DI Zigic heads up the racially diverse small Hate Crimes Unit in Peterborough with his offsider DS Ferreira. They are called to investigate a murder, a body burned to death identified as a migrant worker. Their investigation plunges them into the murky world of migrant worker exploitation, people and sex trafficking and slavery.

Dolan has not only created cast of multi-layered, interesting characters and a superb plot, she also explores issues and attitudes rel
Roo I MacLeod
Jul 14, 2016 Roo I MacLeod rated it liked it
I liked the topic: Hate Crime Unit in Posh. Out of the ordinary, but I've found the story a little slow and apart from the Portugese copper, who is larger than life, I've found the other coppers hard work. Once i got to the last ten chapters the story picked up and I raced through the pages. I recommend the book, because of the subject matter, more than the writing. I'll certainly be buying the next book.
Stephanie
Aug 25, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Long Way Home is easily one of my favourite books of the year. The murder of a migrant worker in Peterborough is being investigated by the hate crimes unit. Poverty, mistrust and racism all feature but don't overpower the book. The story is a strong one, was very easy to read and very difficult to put down.
I really liked both Zigic and Ferreira, and I'm looking forward to the next novel that they feature in. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long.
Monika
Dec 19, 2014 Monika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Plötsligt en dag dök det upp en, för mig, helt okänd bok. Något som beskrevs som en av de mest uppmärksammade nya brittiska kriminalserierna på senare år. Den är dessutom blurbad av Denise Mina, som jag inte alls gillar. Behöver jag säga att jag var skeptisk när jag började läsa? Läs mer på http://bokslut.blogspot.se/2014/12/la...
AmbushPredator
Mar 05, 2016 AmbushPredator rated it it was amazing
An excellent debut novel, set in the East of England, an area coping with the influx of immigrants both legal and not, and the crimes that accompany them. This is the first of a series, featuring the work of the Hate Crime Unit, with a team of characters you'll grow to love.

The author clearly has an eye on a TV adaptation. And why not?
Helen Askey
Mar 05, 2016 Helen Askey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know Peterborough quite well and was interesting to read a book set in the city. The sad tales of people working in gangs is highlighted in the book. At points the details is too much. Overall a good read and I look forward to reading the second in the series.
Elaine
Jul 18, 2016 Elaine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The premise is good, the characters are mostly cliche free but less than halfway through, things seemed to just sputter to a halt. I thought the plot lost momentum and though the characters were reasonably likable, it wasn't enough to carry me on.
Zelly
Dec 09, 2015 Zelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recension: link: ZellysBokhylla
Geoff Adams-spink
Feb 05, 2015 Geoff Adams-spink rated it really liked it
Excellent debut novel. Now started on Dolan's second work
Raven
Nov 27, 2016 Raven rated it really liked it
Although written pre-Brexit, it has taken me so long to read Dolan, that this book proves an even more powerful read in the wake of recent political tumult in the UK. What I liked so much about this one, is how Dolan so assuredly balances the stoicism and welcoming nature of some to the immigration issue, and the inflammatory and deluded beliefs of others, whilst coolly reflecting the never less than easy day to day existence of those that have sought to assimilate themselves into British ...more
Duncan Wilson
What brought this series to my attention was A) the unique location and B) the originality in focussing on Hate Crimes. This certainly is a very unglamorous look at crime in the East of England. Living just over 16 miles from UKIP winning seat of Clacton, the themes of prejudice and migrant workers are all too familiar. This tackles them well without ever being either overtly political or sentimental. A good solid story with engaging leads that keeps unravelling in twists and turns. Good stuff
  • The Lying-Down Room
  • Horse's Arse
  • Three's a Crowd (Patrick Shea Mystery, #1)
  • Red Ribbons (Dr. Kate Pearson, #1)
  • Cold in the Earth (DI Marjory Fleming #1)
  • Stasi Child (Karin Müller, #1)
  • The Dying Place (DI Murphy and DS Rossi, #2)
  • Torn Apart (Hero, #1)
  • The Fall
  • Where the Devil Can't Go (Kiszka and Kershaw, #1)
  • Tastes Like Fear (DI Marnie Rome #3)
  • Cambridge Blue (DC Gary Goodhew Mystery #1)
  • The Drowned Boy (Inspector Konrad Sejer, #11)
  • Blood Atonement (Nigel Barnes #2)
  • Shallow Waters (DI Hannah Robbins, #1)
  • Truth Lies Bleeding
  • Thanks for Nothing
  • The Jump
Eva Dolan is an Essex-based copywriter and intermittently successful poker player. Shortlisted for the Crime Writers' Association Dagger for unpublished authors when she was just a teenager, Long Way Home is her debut novel and the start of a major new crime series.
More about Eva Dolan...

DI Zigic and DS Ferreira (4 books)
  • Tell No Tales (DI Zigic and DS Ferreira, #2)
  • After You Die (DI Zigic and DS Ferreira, #3)
  • Watch Her Disappear (DI Zigic and DS Ferreira, #4)