Start by marking “Outsourced” as Want to Read:
Outsourced

Outsourced

In the 21st Century war and espionage have been transformed. With the CIA on the ropes, the armed forces stretched thin, and the need for special operations capabilities at an all-time high, the United States government has turned to private corporations to help shoulder the load.  Companies such as Blackwater USA, Triple Canopy and Abraxas field over 50,000 private soldie ...more
Published June 12th 2007 by Forge Books (first published May 25th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Outsourced, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outsourced

Rachel
Feb 10, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
Interesting look inside ( mostly fictional) military contracting companies. Cool stuff, fun ride, great detail. It was just barely gritty enough. I loved the equipment detail. Funny that it follows the formula for a classic romance novel in its subplot, just with an odd mutation. See, Explanation at the bottom. I found it a hard book to put down and actually thought about it when I did. Good sign, right?

Warning on heavy language, violent content, graphic segments, adult topics.

Explanation:

Clas
Bill
Jan 28, 2009 Bill rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, fiction
A covert operation thriller. Most of these books are formulaic to a fault but this one is better than average and a wonderful escape. A good break from my usual eclectic routine. I categorize books like this as "candy". Good fun. Oh, and having just completed the book, let me add that the writer, RJ Hillhouse, has experience as an "operative" and sheds a lot of light on the dark and unhealthy nature of American intelligence and the fractious relationships between the various US intelligence agen ...more
Kim
Apr 16, 2010 Kim rated it it was ok
The basis of this book was a good one. Tell, through fictional characters, the truth of the War on Terror and its reliance on a corporate and outsourced army. I feel like the author wanted to write an expose of the dangers and pitfalls that have come because we are no longer running our own war, but paying billions of dollars for someone to do it for us. However, even though I'm sure a lot of that is true, for a fictional book, it was a little heavy handed. The actual story dragged because of th ...more
Jeremiah Genest
Sep 18, 2007 Jeremiah Genest rated it it was ok
Shelves: spyfi
I had a lot of trouble with this book. More in the tradition of Clancy (with all the gun talk) then the spyfi I tend to favor. The quotes on the top of each chapter are fun but since I've read so much on the corporate outsourcing of national defense its not groundbreaking. It never got beyond nover formulaistic action, with the damsels and the rape and the sex and the big explosions. I was hoping for something a lot more hard hitting about the privtazaition of national security.

Graham Greene or
Martin Streetman
Jan 05, 2008 Martin Streetman rated it liked it
This book had several things I really liked in it. First it had a quote that I perceived as real before every chapter (86) about the subject matter. Second it brought up an idea that I liked, that US forces captured OBL years ago and just used him to disrupt the future of AL Qaeda. Third it had a female protagonist, which was unusual in a book about contract soldiers and outsourcing of military and security.
Chris
Aug 30, 2015 Chris added it
"Ripped from the headlines" thriller from the "Spy who billed me" blogger, dealing with the growth of military contracting 200-2007. Plot keeps you reading, many details based on real-life reporting. The romance sub-plot line didn't do much for me, but it was a nice summer read that deals with some interesting, and often frightening, issues in 21st century warfare.
Jan 15, 2014 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If i wasn't listening to this while working, I probably wouldn't have gotten through it. It's an interesting topic, but I didn't find it particularly well written & I didn't really care for any of the characters.
Nisar Masoom
Aug 15, 2015 Nisar Masoom rated it liked it
Average. It could have been better depicted as a movie or TV miniseries. The characters are interesting but majority of the events are predictable. The ending and epilogue make for the best parts in the book. All in all, this novel is a complete piece of time-pass.
Andrea Fife
Sep 16, 2008 Andrea Fife rated it it was amazing
Wow! Although this is fiction, it was such an eye-opener into the Iraq War and the outsourcing of America's military. It is pretty violent and there is some vulgar language, but the author only uses strong words when he needs to.
Daniele Pisano
Jan 31, 2015 Daniele Pisano rated it liked it
Nice book. Very catchy, well structured, absolutely precise in terms of ballistic and weapons; but I didn't like the end: without spoilering, I will just say that - FOR ME - this is the typical American paranoia.
Saul
Jul 05, 2012 Saul rated it really liked it
Better then I expected! Makes you go, hmmm!
Gregory Louis
Jul 10, 2010 Gregory Louis rated it liked it
Read at the request of my brother. Interesting in exploring the contract warrior and how the face of war is changing in the 21st century. Not an excellent book, but interesting in content.
Sherry
Aug 01, 2014 Sherry rated it really liked it
Interesting fun CIA adventure.
M
Oct 03, 2007 M rated it did not like it
In my opinion, the overall theme was never fully realized. It read like a boilerplate spy-romance with extra gun talk. I found the chapter quotes and afterword were the best part of the book.
Martha Yates
Martha Yates rated it it was ok
Mar 31, 2016
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2009
Bill
Bill rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2007
Catherine Longi
Catherine Longi rated it did not like it
Mar 19, 2011
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2015
Martin
Martin rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2012
Lee
Lee rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2016
Judith
Judith rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2010
Donna
Donna rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2014
Marvin
Marvin rated it it was ok
Dec 18, 2007
Alex
Alex rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2015
Julia
Julia rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2013
Patrice
Patrice rated it did not like it
Dec 17, 2007
Stephanie Robert
Stephanie Robert rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2013
Chris
Chris rated it did not like it
Dec 17, 2008