Start by marking “Hickory Dickory Death (Hercule Poirot, #30)” as Want to Read:
Hickory Dickory Death (Hercule Poirot, #30)

Hickory Dickory Death (Hercule Poirot #30)

3.73  ·  Rating Details ·  12,663 Ratings  ·  486 Reviews
Normally, a mere outbreak of petty thefts in a youth hostel wouldn't be enough to interest the great detective Hercule Poirot. However, the warden of the hostel is sister to Poirot's secretary Miss Lemon, and concern for her sister is interfering with Miss Lemon's typing abilities. Poirot finds himself with an intriguing puzzle on his hands, and before long, murder increas ...more
Published October 1st 1989 by Pocket Books (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Hickory Dickory Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hickory Dickory Death

Mwanamali Mari
Review to come. Why the hell doesn't Goodreads have a galaxy (instead of just 5 stars) rating system for books that just make you go

description
Jason Koivu
A bunch of boarders, mostly students and young folk, get into a bit of mischief which turns out to be more than just a bit of mischief.

Hickory Dickory Dock was published in the latter half of Agatha Christie's career. It's also one of the later Poirot books. As such, it does feel a bit more mature in the characterization and such. But what the hell do I know? I'm no Christie scholar. I've only read a few of her many books. This is yet another one that has me wanting to read more of her work.

In
Sirking
Feb 18, 2013 Sirking rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off I do understand the criticism aimed at this book. There are too many characters for such a short book and as such hardly any of them are fleshed out. Also Poirot plays a relatively minor role and a lot of the interrogations are actually carried out by his inspector friend (although it is Poirot who finally pieces everything together).

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

What made this book stand out for me though was the final revelation of the villain. I find that so many detective stories try to shock
Lotte
Aug 17, 2014 Lotte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great mystery by the Queen of Crime! :) Loved listening to this on audiobook, even though the narrator kind of sounded like he had a cold...
هدى ناصر
Mar 27, 2016 هدى ناصر rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
مرة أخرى تبهرني اجاثا كريستي بحبكتها البارعة.
اركض من اجل ان اصل للنهاية
استمتعت بها كثيرا
Farzane
من دوست ندارم اشخاصی ک ب نظر تقصیرکار میان واقعا آخرش تقصیرکار باشن. همیشه توی ذهن من آدم های ساکت و بی سروصدا باید تقصیرکار بشن ولی خب همیشه این روند رعایت نمیشه. توی این کتاب از همون اول تقریبا میشد ب راحتی حدس زد کار کیه چون اون شخص هم زرنگ بود هم شرو شور دار . حیف شد :))
Andrea
I'm a prettying open-minded person when it comes to books being the product of their age, and don't let such things distract me from the meat of the story. That said, Hickory Dickory Dock takes some kind of special cake in prejudices against foreigners and cartoony stereotypes. Even for Agatha this is a new kind of record. Oh, Agatha... you and your racism. Anyway, I am giving this story only three stars, because even the plot wasn't all that hot - organized crime in detective fiction just doesn ...more
Dr. Sulaiman
Dec 16, 2015 Dr. Sulaiman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
مسارات عديدة، وعقد متشابكة، في سياق شيق، وصولاً إلى حل مفاجىء كالعادة!
Obsidian
Oct 29, 2015 Obsidian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have had that rhyme in my head since last night. I want to smother myself to just make it stop at this point.

I also somehow saw the television adaption of this story a few months ago, I now remember why I turned it off. They kept playing a slow sung ballad to the nursery rhyme throughout the entire show.

So we have Poirot firmly in the 1950s in England. This is a post WWII England and now the books feel different in a way that they have not in the earlier ones. There is no more separation bet
Moonlight Reader
As I posted yesterday, I picked up a pair of Dame Agatha's Poirot novels over the weekend. I read and reviewed The Clocks first, which I found quite underwhelming.

In my view, Hickory Dickory Dock (in spite of the moderately silly title) was a more entertaining book. It still doesn't rise to the level of her best, but it was engaging enough that I read it in a two hour sitting before bed.

It is a bit of a blood bath, with two three separate murders happening during the book's time span. For a Chri
Guy
Apr 20, 2008 Guy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Beautifully written, as are almost all of Agatha Christie's mysteries (with thus far in my reading experience the notable exception of "The Big Four" which seems as if it was written by Christie's 12-year-old nephew :-), this is however not one of her best works. The principal problems are the plethora of at times clumsily handled characters, and a crucial unexplained plot flaw.

The characters first: there are a lot of them, but then the setting is a student rooming house, so this is understandab
Meave
Aug 07, 2010 Meave rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'd have given it one star for excessive racism AND the nursery rhyme title whose connection to the story was tenuous enough that she could've just renamed it, but she did let one "Asiatic" guy yell at all the Britons something like "You ask why is the Mau Mau? You ask why does Egypt resent the Suez Canal?" AND she lets Poirot make a nice point about how his being foreign to English people doesn't make all other non-English people familiar to him.

Nonetheless: The inoffensive African guy talks al
محمد مختار
أجاثا كريستي من الكتاب اللي مش عاوز أقرأ كل رواياتها على طول، بقرأ لها رواية كل كام شهر، عشان البقية الباقية مما لم أقرأه بعد تظل معي سنين
وأحس إن المؤلفة لسه عايشة معانا وممكن أقرأ لها حاجة جديدة كل فترة
الرواية دي بتحكي عن حوادث سرقة عادية وبسيطة تحدث في بيت للشباب
أشياء غير قيمة تمت سرقتها أو إتلافها، أحمر شفاه، بودرة تجميل، وشاح، مصابيح كهربائية،
ولكن المحقق الخاص الشهير بوارو له رأي مختلف، ويطلب منهم استدعاء الشرطة على الفور
لم يهتموا برأيه، وسرعان ما تقع الجريمة الأولى
كعادة أجاثا كريستي رواية
Merryoomee
Oct 20, 2011 Merryoomee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
hmm... to start lets say that the plot was very good for an ingenious crime or a great ending. But the amount of characters were very much and to give justice to each was not possible(i guess). Although the characterization was a bit up and down, the plot as i say was very interesting. The title doesnt relate to the story,she could have kept a more relating title (not possible anyway now!).
Anyways its an enjoyable read, and the main culprit was so cruel as he killed the person who loved him and
Barbara
Hercule Poirot is asked to investigate a rash of theft and vandalism at a boarding house for students and young workers. The items involved seem random - a diamond ring, a scarf, a backpack, light bulbs, eye wash, etc.- but Poirot suspects a sinister motive may underlie the incidents.

When Poirot threatens to call in the cops a young woman, Celia Austin, confesses to some of the small thefts but claims innocence of the other incidents. Pretty soon several people connected to the boarding house a
Meriana
Sebagai pembaca baru serial Agatha Christie, buku ini merupakan yg terburuk yg pernah saya baca. Pembuka cerita yg datar, kasus kompleks yg menarik tapi ditutup dengan datar dan tidak jelas-benar2 tidak dijelaskan dengan detail seperti biasanya dan berkesan tergesa2- pula, penjelasan yg melompat-lompat, serta motif yg kurang jelas.

Untuk edisi terjemahan Indonesia cetakan kelima ini, dibonusi dengan banyaknya typo dan beberapa kesalahan tanda baca yg menjengkelkan. Saya sampai nggak percaya kalau
Tami (synchro from BL)
Great crime book. Hercule Poirot is involved in a little mystery through his secretary's sister.
It all looks quite harmless, if a bit mischievious, in the beginning.

And then the bodies start to drop :-)

I just love the writing - the way the reader is invited to solve the crime along with M. Poirot.

Faizah Aulia R
tokohnya banyak, bikin susah ngerucutin kemungkinan pembunuhnya. Yang wawancara tokoh bukan Poirot langsung, jadi ngurangin clue hehehe

suka sedih kalo yg mati lebih dr 1 :(((

overall suka latar belakang ceritanya yg di pondokan mahasiswa dr berbagai etnis, dan budaya british zaman itu sangat sopaaaaan, sukaaa haha
Brian Gordon
Jul 05, 2016 Brian Gordon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second Poirot novel I read after "And then there were none." I got it from a used booksale to take on a trip to Europe. It was a nice read to kill some time on the flight. I think I am going to go back and start reading all of the Poirot novels now in order.
Sophie Hannah
V good fun but not one of her best. Two crucial parts of the solution seem to be simply intuited by Poirot out of nowhere - he never explains what led him to work out those two particular things, which weakens the denouement. But a v enjoyable read nonetheless.
J
Jun 13, 2016 J rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Not her best novel and a lot of detecting goes on without Poirot who is by far the most interesting character, but the worst of Christie's is still better than just about anything else out there.
Gulen
May 16, 2016 Gulen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Çok iyi bir Agatha romanı değil, Hercule istediğim kadar yer almadı ama yine de güzeldi.
Soufia Abderrazak
سمعت الكثير عن اغاثا كريستي المختصة في الروايات البوليسية كتنصيبها الملكة فوق عرش كُتاب هذا الصنف .. واعمالها التي ترجمت لاكثر من 103 لغة ..لقيت اعمالها عن اللغة الانقليزية فقط مبيعات تجاوزت ال 700 مليون نسخة عن احصائية قديمة .. لكن لم تسنح لي الفرصة لان اقرأ لها سوى الان .. تناولت النسخة العربية فكانت الكارثة .. ترجمة دراماتيكية .. يا للاسف ان يحرم القارئ العربي من هذا الابداع .. وصلت الجرأة بالمترجم حد حذف فصول كاملة من الرواية .. فصول وصفية بالاساس رأى فيها عدم افادتها في فحوى الجرائم لكنه تغ ...more
Damaskcat
Feb 10, 2017 Damaskcat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A spate of minor thefts in a student hostel isn't Hercule Poirot's usual sort of case but the hostel is managed by his secretary's sister - Mrs Hubbard - and he wants to help. On the face of it the thefts are all trivial - apart from the diamond ring - and that turns up in someone's soup. The other thefts are one evening shoe, some boracic acid, a silk scarf cut into ribbons, a rucksack destroyed and someone's study notes are damaged by having ink poured over them.

The culprit is soon uncovered a
Bookworm
Only the great Christie could take a houseful of seemingly normal people-and make half of them psychopaths, or communists, or.... etc. It was an intriguing mystery however!
Hercule Poirot is involved in the mysterious disappearances of items at a students hostel, when his secretary makes three mistakes on the letter he was dictating. Strange indeed, for Miss Lemon is a woman of absolute perfection. He finds out it is her sister she is worried about, who works at said hostel, goes to see for him
Shabnam
Jan 01, 2017 Shabnam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis :

Hercule Poirot doesn't need all his detective skills to realise something is troubling his secretary, Miss Lemon - she has made three mistakes in a simple letter. It seems an outbreak of kleptomania at the student hostel in which her sister works is distracting his usually efficient assistant.

Deciding that desparate times call for desparate measure, the great detective agrees to investigate. Unknown to Poirot, however, desperation is a motive he shares with a killer . . .

Review :

Agat
Jonathan Snelling
Jan 19, 2017 Jonathan Snelling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book considerably worse than previous other books written by Agatha Christie. However if I knew someone looking for a book who liked murder mystery books, this is a book I would recommend.
Cleo Bannister
May 11, 2014 Cleo Bannister rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, own, crime-series
Hickory Dickory Dock was first published in the UK in 1955 and was the first full length story to feature Hercule Poirot's ultra-efficient secretary Miss Felicity Lemon, although she had previously appeared in some of short stories featuring the Belgium detective.

When Miss Lemon makes an uncharacteristic mistake, or three, in a letter Poirot realises that something is amiss with his usually precise secretary. His questioning leads him to discover that Felicity Lemon has a life outside her work,
Rob Smith
Jun 06, 2014 Rob Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014
'Hickory Dickory Death' is a nice mystery with a slew of suspects, but a suspect plot. Hercule Poirot rather stumbles into what seems to be a mere issue of theft until turning into murder. His involvement seems a bit of a stretch to begin with, but as the story goes the narrative seems less Poirot and more the authorities as if Poirot seemed more interested in the theft than the deaths.

There area long string of suspects that Christie does her best to discern, but still seems a bit too similar a
Nathaniel Ubana
Oct 25, 2016 Nathaniel Ubana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“I do not understand.” -Mr. Akibombo
Hickory Dickory Dock/Death is great book to read if you are interested in murder mysteries centered around a bunch of “innocent” children. The story starts out with Poirot investigating an odd problem at a student hostel, which starts out as a trivial issue but morphs into a more sinister predicament. Like many of Poirot’s stories, a large amount of characters are introduced. Unfortunately, so many are created that I may forget certain characters or mistake
Agatha Christie L...: August 2015 - Hickory Dickory Dock 18 51 Aug 23, 2015 07:08PM
  • Prisoner's Base (Nero Wolfe, #21)
  • When in Rome (Roderick Alleyn, #26)
  • Have His Carcase  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #8)
  • The Grass Widow's Tale (Felse, #7)
  • Agatha Christie: A Biography

More about Agatha Christie...

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)

“What are you doing, Poirot?"
"I dissect rucksacks. It is very interesting.”
5 likes