Memoirs Of Emma Courtney

Memoirs Of Emma Courtney

2.75 of 5 stars 2.75  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Memoirs of Emma Courtney is one of the most articulate and detailed expressions of the yearnings and frustrations of a woman living in late eighteenth-century English society. It questions marital arrangements and courtship rituals by depicting a woman who actively pursues the man she loves.
In this first fully annotated edition of a key sentimental novel, Hays reveals the...more
Paperback
Published January 25th 2000 by Broadview Press (first published May 1st 1987)

Ailsa
I read this book as part of a class called "Regency Women Writers"

Although there is much to mock about this book (especially the last 50 pages or so, which pretty much devolve into sentimental melodrama) I was actually pleasantly surprised by this book. I found Hays' writing style much more engaging than that of Wollstonecraft, whilst she manages to touch on many of the same fascinating issues as her more-celebrated counterpart.

This is an extraordinary book, in many ways, blending as it does th...more
Jessica
This book is in the tradition of Mary Wollstonecraft's Maria, or the Wrongs of Woman and William Godwin's Things as they Are; or, the Adventures of Caleb Williams, but it's fascinating in its own right for a few reasons:

1. It's a deliberately experimental text that includes correspondence from Hays's own life.

2. It plumbs the previously unexplored depths of female psychology, including female desire and sexuality (which made it quite scandalous for the 1790s).

3. It was notoriously poorly receive...more
Katelyn
The plot doesn't progress at all throughout the middle 100 pages, and then ten million things happen right at the end.
Jenn McCollum
Mary Hays is an eighteenth-century author obsessed with proving that she -- like her romantic contemporaries -- can use highfaluting language as an argument for virtue: her own virtue. Memoirs of Emma Courtney is not an easy read although it is short, but the pay-offs are big. My jaw was hanging down to my feet from practically the first page. I have rarely -- never? -- encountered such a female heroine in English literature in my oh-so-many dimly-lit reading escapades of reading frenzies.

At fir...more
Ben Eldridge
In attempting to highlight the plight of women in 18th century society, the histrionic tone of this book makes it a failure. The philosophy and social comment is overpowering, and presented by some of the most unlikeable characters I have come across in fiction. Unlikely coincidence is used to drive the plot on too many occasions, and the ending has been rightly mocked as totally implausible. On an intellectual level it is easy to sympathize with the societal/cultural problems faced by women of...more
Rachel Brand
Read for EN4363: Romantic Writing and Women.

I was confused by all the negative reviews when I began reading this book, but now as I come to a close, I can understand the complaints. This novel initially captivated me, and I was surprised to find some of the elements of Emma's life akin to those you'd come across in an Austen novel--a young woman passed between relatives due to deaths in her family, an unusual upbringing giving her a freedom to study typically unfeminine subjects, ultimately culm...more
Jaimie
Memoirs of Emma Courtney illustrates the gender ideals and constructions that society placed upon men and women in the late 18th century into the early 19th century. The novel revolves around the life of Emma Courtney. She narrates the story of her life in England: her early education, the deaths of her caretakers at an early age, her enduring and persistent love of a man named Augustus Harley and her struggle to survive in a world in which she felt "crushed by the iron hand of barbarous despoti...more
John
Odd in an interesting way. Based highly on Hays's own life, it's really some sociopolitical ideas concerning women and the sensibility/reason debate held together with a thin narrative.
Donna

I'm not sure what rating to give this book, I both enjoyed it and found myself extremely annoyed by it. I think I'll hold off until I re-read it for my class to review it.
Jen
In the end, the only thing I truly enjoyed about the book was mocking it. Ouch. See my blog entry....
Nov 10, 2012 Laura marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
Free download at Gutenberg Project.
Aine Nic
Portrait of a very self-centered, spoiled young woman in early 20th century
Liz_
Liz_ marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Madeline
Madeline is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2014
Katherine  Rose
Katherine Rose marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Angela
Angela added it
Apr 10, 2014
Erinna
Erinna is currently reading it
Apr 11, 2014
Colleen Brenner
Colleen Brenner marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Eliza
Eliza marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Vivek Agrawal
Vivek Agrawal marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The Victim of Prejudice Learning to Drive Memoirs of Emma Courtney And Adeline Mowbray; or the Mother And the Daughter Memoirs of Emma Courtney - The Original Classic Edition The Idea of Being Free: A Mary Hays Reader