Start by marking “Memoirs Of Emma Courtney” as Want to Read:
Memoirs Of Emma Courtney

Memoirs Of Emma Courtney

2.9 of 5 stars 2.90  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Memoirs of Emma Courtney is one of the most articulate and detailed expressions of the yearnings and frustrations of a woman living in late eighteenth-century English society. It questions marital arrangements and courtship rituals by depicting a woman who actively pursues the man she loves.
In this first fully annotated edition of a key sentimental novel, Hays reveals the
Paperback
Published January 25th 2000 by Broadview Press (first published 1796)

To ask other readers questions about Memoirs Of Emma Courtney, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memoirs Of Emma Courtney

Katelyn
The plot doesn't progress at all throughout the middle 100 pages, and then ten million things happen right at the end.
Ailsa
I read this book as part of a class called "Regency Women Writers"

Although there is much to mock about this book (especially the last 50 pages or so, which pretty much devolve into sentimental melodrama) I was actually pleasantly surprised by this book. I found Hays' writing style much more engaging than that of Wollstonecraft, whilst she manages to touch on many of the same fascinating issues as her more-celebrated counterpart.

This is an extraordinary book, in many ways, blending as it does th
Jessica
This book is in the tradition of Mary Wollstonecraft's Maria, or the Wrongs of Woman and William Godwin's Things as they Are; or, the Adventures of Caleb Williams, but it's fascinating in its own right for a few reasons:

1. It's a deliberately experimental text that includes correspondence from Hays's own life.

2. It plumbs the previously unexplored depths of female psychology, including female desire and sexuality (which made it quite scandalous for the 1790s).

3. It was notoriously poorly receive
Kellyk
This novel follows most eighteenth century plots, where characters are engulfed by societal standards that they must ultimately transcend or succumb to gendered standards. However, Emma Courtney, the protagonist and writer of this epistolary novel, does not succeed in any of her premeditated goals to "step outside of the magic circle" imposed on women by the laws of society. Instead, she continues to pursue Augustus Harley -- the keeper of her heart -- who ignores her and denies her. It's almost ...more
Jenn McCollum
Mary Hays is an eighteenth-century author obsessed with proving that she -- like her romantic contemporaries -- can use highfaluting language as an argument for virtue: her own virtue. Memoirs of Emma Courtney is not an easy read although it is short, but the pay-offs are big. My jaw was hanging down to my feet from practically the first page. I have rarely -- never? -- encountered such a female heroine in English literature in my oh-so-many dimly-lit reading escapades of reading frenzies.

At fir
Ben Eldridge
In attempting to highlight the plight of women in 18th century society, the histrionic tone of this book makes it a failure. The philosophy and social comment is overpowering, and presented by some of the most unlikeable characters I have come across in fiction. Unlikely coincidence is used to drive the plot on too many occasions, and the ending has been rightly mocked as totally implausible. On an intellectual level it is easy to sympathize with the societal/cultural problems faced by women of ...more
Rachel Brand
Read for EN4363: Romantic Writing and Women.

I was confused by all the negative reviews when I began reading this book, but now as I come to a close, I can understand the complaints. This novel initially captivated me, and I was surprised to find some of the elements of Emma's life akin to those you'd come across in an Austen novel--a young woman passed between relatives due to deaths in her family, an unusual upbringing giving her a freedom to study typically unfeminine subjects, ultimately culm
Carolyn Davis
I'm legitimately surprised that this book isn't more popular with critics, because it really seems to have great relevance to anyone studying early feminist or post-(French)revolutionary radical thought among people like Mary Wollstonecraft. In some ways it's your standard epistolary sentimental novel, but it surprises you at turns with some really well-reasoned attempts to engage with the anti-royalist debate on liberty.
Jaimie
Memoirs of Emma Courtney illustrates the gender ideals and constructions that society placed upon men and women in the late 18th century into the early 19th century. The novel revolves around the life of Emma Courtney. She narrates the story of her life in England: her early education, the deaths of her caretakers at an early age, her enduring and persistent love of a man named Augustus Harley and her struggle to survive in a world in which she felt "crushed by the iron hand of barbarous despoti ...more
Alanna Myers
Great proto-feminist read
John
Odd in an interesting way. Based highly on Hays's own life, it's really some sociopolitical ideas concerning women and the sensibility/reason debate held together with a thin narrative.
Donna

I'm not sure what rating to give this book, I both enjoyed it and found myself extremely annoyed by it. I think I'll hold off until I re-read it for my class to review it.
J
In the end, the only thing I truly enjoyed about the book was mocking it. Ouch. See my blog entry....
Nov 10, 2012 Laura marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
Free download at Gutenberg Project.
slauderdale
slauderdale marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Lydia
Lydia marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Danielle Casseb
Danielle Casseb marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
  • A Simple Story
  • A Sentimental Journey and Other Writings
  • Anti-Pamela and Shamela
  • The Beggar's Opera
  • Mary & The Wrongs of Woman (2 in 1)
  • The Power of Sympathy and the Coquette
  • Millenium Hall
  • The Figaro Trilogy: The Barber of Seville / The Marriage of Figaro / The Guilty Mother
  • The Old English Baron
  • The Midnight
  • Victorine
  • The Romance of the Forest
  • Gigi, Julie de Carneilhan, and Chance Acquaintances: Three Short Novels
The Victim of Prejudice Learning to Drive Memoirs of Emma Courtney And Adeline Mowbray; or the Mother And the Daughter The Idea of Being Free: A Mary Hays Reader Appeal to the men of Great Britain in behalf of women.