The Growing Pains Of Adrian Mole

The Growing Pains Of Adrian Mole (Adrian Mole #2)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  7,298 ratings  ·  146 reviews

At fourteen, Adrian Mole's life continues to be nothing but a set of tragic circumstances: His tempestuous relationship with an alluring schoolmate tortures him, while his intellectualism continues to be ignored by the British press. Despite it all he remains as agonizingly funny as ever in this, the second of his diaries.

Mass Market Paperback
Published August 1987 by Avon Books (first published 1984)

Anna Janelle
But, I actually want to give this book 3.75 stars without rounding it up to four - so three it is.

So, Adrian Mole, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways, but quickly because my laptop is dying and I can't muster the energy to go upstairs and get my charger. Yes, it has come to this. I'm THAT wiped out tonight.

1. You are hysterical. Flat out awkward, whiny, obnoxious, pretension and endearing.
2. Your family-situation is completely effed. I love that your parents show disdain for you. I love...more
Radka
První dva díly moleovské ságy mám hodně ráda (tenhle víc). Když jsem je četla ve "třinácti a tři čtvrtě", bavila jsem se hlavně lapáliemi hlavního hrdiny, zpětně jsem pak deníky docenila i jako zdroj nejrůznějších humorných poznatků a pozorování z prostředí thatcherovské Británie. Pod jejich vlivem jsem se opakovaně pokoušela nějaké deníky sama psát, první začínal nějak takhle: "Dnes jsem vrátila lístek na oběd a šla si do papírnictví koupit tenhle deník."
Juwi
THIS BOOK IS HILARIOUS!!!

so adrian mole is back again..the intellectual trying to decide whether he should or shouldn't do is 'o levels' and how he feels about his mum being pregnant (HE DID NOT REALISE UNTIL SHE ACTUALLY SAID I AM PREGNANT OMG)

his observations are the best. his comments on politics and oh his poetry that he sends to the BBC...he is just absolutely hilarious.

his on and off relationship with the pretentious snob pandora and omg BERT BAXTER AND QUEENIE. =(

if you enjoyed the firs...more
Jessica Powell
I first read it when I was about 12, and to my mind it's still one of the funniest books ever written. In this, the second entry in the series, Adrian tries to keep hold of Pandora as the birth of his baby sister Rosie - amongst other things - leads him to part existential crisis, part nervous breakdown.

Re-reading, I couldn't help but laugh out loud at Adrian's mother abandoning him at the social security office, and Adrian's ill fated attempt to go it all alone. The writing is faultless, the ch...more
Achab_
Fun fun fun. Looking forward to the weekend next book! :-)
David Sarkies
This continues on with the tradition of the first book that Townsend had written and follows Adrian's life as he continues to struggle as a teenager in Britain in the 1980s. The series does continue on right up to the Iraq War and it appears that throughout his life he is madly in love with a woman named Pandora (I don't think that she is his first girlfriend, but I believe that he dumped his first girlfriend for Pandora). It seems that the idea is that Adrian Mole is a loser that seems to make...more
Emily
This book is so much like the one which precedes it that I find it difficult to write an entirely separate review. This is (most of) what I had to say about The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4: "Adrian Mole, precocious British teenager, self-professed intellectual, and diarist tells us of his trials and tribulations. His musings are funny, sweet, and ultimately poignant.
Adrian is such a real and believable character that it's hard to believe he sprung from the mind of a middle-aged woma...more
mina
Ini adalah buku kedua dari serial diary-nya Adrian Mole. Karena aku belum pernah membaca buku pertamanya, jadinya tidak tahu kenapa si Adrian ini kok menulis diary. Tidak seperti Diary Putra Raja atau Diary Musuh Geng Kodok-nya Jessica Green yang menceritakan segala sesuatu dengan panjang lebar, diary-nya Adrian ini seperti orang menulis diary sesungguhnya: pendek-pendek, seperti tidak ada kaitan antar entry, dan persis seperti juga kita hidup, masalah tidak selesai dalam sehari atau seminggu at...more
Lighthearted
Adrian Mole is now 15 years old—and unfortunately his nose is swollen due to an experimental sniff of glue which resulted in his inadvertent attachment to a model aeroplane. The drama between his parents intensifies in this installment—his mom is pregnant and so is Doreen Slater aka Stick Insect (the woman his father dated while his mother was living with Mr. Lucas aka Creep Lucas). To add insult to injury, Adrian’s intellectual-status goes further unrecognized when Barry Kent wins the Youth Clu...more
Sue Oaks
Adrian Mole returns in the sequel to the classic ‘The Diary of Adrian Mole aged 13¾ ’ - 'The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole'.

First published in 1984, the book remains popular and is well worth a read , especially if you agree that a laugh a day keeps the doctor away. The diary format works well, inviting you as a reader to step in the shoes of a British teenager in the 1980’s. I found it difficult to put the book down, having begun it again after an earlier craze when the book first came out. It...more
John
The second in a series of popular epistolary novels starring the Adrian Mole of the title, a precocious, neurotic, anxiety-prone drama queen of an English adolescent living in the early 1980s. Adrian leads a chaotic life in a poor and disorganized working class family. Both parents have on and off lovers, and babies of questionable parentage pop up now and then. Adrian is romantically entangled with classmate Penelope Braithwaite, but seems to be in love with being in love as much as he is in lo...more
Simon Taylor
Adrian returns in this second outing of the Secret Diary saga.Set in 1983—1984, we continue to see the world through Adrian’s eyes as Margaret Thatcher’s Tories continue to rule. The Falklands War features prominently alongside lesser political sagas of the day.

Mole’s life picks up where The Secret Diary left off, with his on/off relationship with Pandora and his parents’ grudging reunion after both having affairs.

Reaching the age of 15, Adrian seems to be particularly naive. While that was a ch...more
Mark
Picking up the day after “The Secret Diary” ended, this volume contains plenty of turmoil in Adrian’s life - his mum and Stick Insect are both pregnant, which leads to the break-up of his parents marriage, there’s paternity issues on his sister Rosie (rat fink Lucas maintains she is his), his relationship with Pandora hits the rocks and he briefly ends up in Baz’s street gang, before running away to Manchester. Slightly darker in tone than the first volume - the Falklands War is dealt with well...more
Christie
I really like all of the Adrian Mole books. They make me laugh out loud, not always an easy thing to do. I bought this book while on a childhood trip to Sweden where there wasn't much choice in books written in English. I'm so glad that I read it then and have continued to enjoy it as an adult. I have to admit that I very much enjoy the comical diary style books including Bridget Jones Diary and Youth in Revolt.
Katie
Read this on my blog

This is a coming of age (literally) novel surrounding the diary of Adrian Mole, a now 15 year old prepubescent boy who is learning to control his hormones, and work with and around his family problems at the same time as stabilising a relationship with a girl, who he believes is his one and only. This is a quick and easy read, and I found myself outwardly chuckling on various occasions as it is very to the point and quite witty for a boy that age.

With regards to the wit, it’s...more
Redfox5
I've had this book such a long time, the pages are falling out, at some point I've spilt tea all over it and those pages are all stained. It gives off a well read look about it. I don't think I'll be able to pass this book on. It shall have to stay with me for it's own saftey.

I'd forgotten just how funny Adrian Mole was. I read the rest of the series a year or so ago but there was a gap where I'd misplaced this one. Adrian is best as a teenager, he becomes annoying as he turns into an adult. I t...more
Sarah Sammis
I picked up a copy of the second Adrian Mole book at a recent BookCrossing meeting. As I was reading the first book at the time I brought home the second to read.

Growing Pains covers the aftermath of the first book. Adrian loses his status as an only child to be the brother to a sister and the half brother to the child of his father's mistress. His sister might also be a half sister if she was conceived during his mother's brief affair.

The book takes him to adulthood (16 in Britain) and rather...more
Graceann
Jun 03, 2009 Graceann rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sue Townsend Fans, Fans of British Humor
Shelves: humor
Please see my detailed review at Amazon Graceann's "Growing Pains of Adrian Mole" Review"

Second entry in the hilarious Adrian Mole series. He's coming up on age 16 now, and still as angst-ridden as he was in the first book. This is so accurate. I'm not SO far away from my own teen years that I'm not able to recognize the behavior as my own at that time. Very witty and all the more surprising as it comes from an adult woman writing about the feelings of a teenage boy. Genius. My only caveat is th...more
Ben Baker
The one that got me started after whining to borrow it all those years ago. The references to Greenham Common and Ian Macgregor were lost on me in the late eighties but the way things are going now my head seems to be in that decade a lot. You could probably add some satires in here about David Cameron. I couldn't possibly comment.
There are very few books that can really make me laugh out loud but Adrian Mole does it every time. This is a re-read but I originally read it before my days on Goodreads since there is no review here. I honestly think Adrian is one of the greatest characters ever created and his early diaries are particularly funny because he is just so naive yet thinks of himself as the most intellectual 15 year old that ever lived. I can't give Adrian any less than 5 stars. Perhaps this book is flawed but I'm...more
AmmarMajali
Another year in the life of Adrian Mole . The age of 16. The unexpected birth of a sister mixed with the traditional angst of teenage rebellion marks this slim volume of diaries.

Well written and got that dry sense of British humor.

can't wait to start the third volume in this series.
Richard Barnes
More Mole - that actually sneaks ahead of it's superb prequel. Mole and family struggle on under the Tory yoke eventually sending Adrian to a nervous breakdown. A touch more raw than the Secret Diary, it's still hilariously sharp.
Andrew
As the direct sequel to the first book, Growing Pains continues literally where the first book stops. In fact, this book tells of the direct consequences of some of the things that occurred in the first, and in some ways they do read better as one work.
This story leaves Adrian a few weeks away from his O-level exams, and the way it ends you almost thought there would be a book carrying straight on. Sadly, there isn't. There is plenty more Mole to read, but there are now large gaps in the narrat...more
Katherine
The second book I've read in the Adrian Mole series. A diary of a self-proclaimed intellectual, now age 15, continues to be almost the same as the first book in this series. However, this book is an entertaining read for a teenager, or perhaps even a young adult. With a new sister, and a girlfriend who wants to leave, Adrian is faced with most of the usual teenage situations we're all told about through whispers in the ear. I did like this book, considering the series is very entertaining and hi...more
Mike Steven
Like many sequels, it does pretty much what the first book does, only slightly better.

Obviously, it lacks some of the originality of the first book but it's still a charming read - and I think some of the humour works much better in this second outing for Adrian.

This episode deals with the death of the elderly, marital problems, illegitimate children, teenage depression, politics in a recession - all with the humour you would expect of an Adrian Mole book.

Again, I would recommend as a quick, non...more
Paul
This is a great continuation of the tale of Master Mole.

The story telling has grown up along with Adrian. The trivial matters from the first book start to evolve and Adrian has to realise that he is growing up. That doesn't mean that he is getting smarter though.. he is still clueless about a few things, but then again weren't we all at 14/15 years old.

I am really enjoying the fact that these books are in my library. They really do take me back to a nostalgic time when reading was all about enjo...more
Lisa Urso
A little far-fetched in parts. Didn't like this as much as the first volume. Learned there are more sequels, so it'll be interesting to see how Adrian turns out.
Maria Kopilevich
I think i enjoyed this more than the first because it is funny and moving and written in a good way. I think some people would love the first and second book.
Jim
It is amazing how funny this series is even as it reaches thirty years in print. Even with missing many of the inside (English) humor, I still get so many chuckles. Some of his (her) observations on current events and universal relations are wonderful. Sad, she recently passed, but she sure left behind a great legacy.
Sophie
Hilarious! Thoroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend to all ages. Laugh out loud and easy to read.
Bookwormed Reviews: Adrian Mole 1 3 Apr 11, 2014 05:53AM
  • Goggle-Eyes
  • Molesworth
  • E.
  • Koko u Parizu
  • A Senhora da Magia (As Brumas de Avalon, #1)
  • The Zigzag Kid
  • The Van (movie tie-in)
  • Uma Aventura na Escola (Uma Aventura, #8)
  • Boys, Brothers and Jelly Belly Dancing (Ally's World, #5)
  • Tegenspel
  • Gridlock
  • Anita and Me
  • The Darling Buds Of May

Susan Lillian "Sue" Townsend was a British novelist, best known as the author of the Adrian Mole series of books. Her writing tends to combine comedy with social commentary, though she has written purely dramatic works as well. She has suffered from diabetes for many years,...more
More about Sue Townsend...
The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4  (Adrian Mole, #1) Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years (Adrian Mole, #5) Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction (Adrian Mole, #6) The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year Adrian Mole: The Wilderness Years (Adrian Mole, #4)

“I don't know why women are so mad about flowers. Personally, they leave me cold. I prefer trees.” 9 likes
“Мужика белобрысого зовут Дункан Макинтош, а его партия называется “Пусть катятся, откуда пришли”. Этот Макинтош хочет всех из Британии насильно выгнать: черных, коричневых, желтых, красных, евреев, ирландцев, уэльсцев, шотландцев, кельтов и потомков норманнов. В общем, останутся только чистокровные блондинистые саксонцы, и больше никого. Мама высчитала, что если этот Макинтош к власти придет, то он и будет населением Британии.” 1 likes