Start by marking “The Growing Pains Of Adrian Mole” as Want to Read:
The Growing Pains Of Adrian Mole

The Growing Pains Of Adrian Mole (Adrian Mole #2)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,218 Ratings  ·  185 Reviews

At fourteen, Adrian Mole's life continues to be nothing but a set of tragic circumstances: His tempestuous relationship with an alluring schoolmate tortures him, while his intellectualism continues to be ignored by the British press. Despite it all he remains as agonizingly funny as ever in this, the second of his diaries.

Mass Market Paperback
Published August 1987 by Avon Books (first published 1984)

Kyra
Aug 04, 2015 Kyra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
HAHAHA! So funny! I may have laughed manically several times (in public) and gained worrying looks from observers but I couldn't help it! Seriously, SO FUNNY.
Achab_
Jul 29, 2011 Achab_ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun fun fun. Looking forward to the weekend next book! :-)
Jana
Jul 06, 2015 Jana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anglophile
Oh Adrian. You are every bit as funny at 15-1/2 as you were at 13-3/4.

Here are just a few samples of Adrian's diary:

Sunday May 9th
Mother's Day (USA & Canada)
I have just realized that I have never seen a dead body or a real female nipple. This is what comes of living in a cul-de-sac.

Friday August 6th
Sent Pandora a postcard:
Dear Pan,
The sun came out on Wednesday, but it didn't reach into the black despair caused by our separation. It is a cultural desert here.
Anna Janelle
But, I actually want to give this book 3.75 stars without rounding it up to four - so three it is.

So, Adrian Mole, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways, but quickly because my laptop is dying and I can't muster the energy to go upstairs and get my charger. Yes, it has come to this. I'm THAT wiped out tonight.

1. You are hysterical. Flat out awkward, whiny, obnoxious, pretension and endearing.
2. Your family-situation is completely effed. I love that your parents show disdain for you. I love
Graceann
Jun 03, 2009 Graceann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sue Townsend Fans, Fans of British Humor
Shelves: humor
Please see my detailed review at Amazon Graceann's "Growing Pains of Adrian Mole" Review"

Second entry in the hilarious Adrian Mole series. He's coming up on age 16 now, and still as angst-ridden as he was in the first book. This is so accurate. I'm not SO far away from my own teen years that I'm not able to recognize the behavior as my own at that time. Very witty and all the more surprising as it comes from an adult woman writing about the feelings of a teenage boy. Genius. My only caveat is th
Juwi
Jun 03, 2014 Juwi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THIS BOOK IS HILARIOUS!!!

so adrian mole is back again..the intellectual trying to decide whether he should or shouldn't do is 'o levels' and how he feels about his mum being pregnant (HE DID NOT REALISE UNTIL SHE ACTUALLY SAID I AM PREGNANT OMG)

his observations are the best. his comments on politics and oh his poetry that he sends to the BBC...he is just absolutely hilarious.

his on and off relationship with the pretentious snob pandora and omg BERT BAXTER AND QUEENIE. =(

if you enjoyed the firs
Nov 05, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, 2013
There are very few books that can really make me laugh out loud but Adrian Mole does it every time. This is a re-read but I originally read it before my days on Goodreads since there is no review here. I honestly think Adrian is one of the greatest characters ever created and his early diaries are particularly funny because he is just so naive yet thinks of himself as the most intellectual 15 year old that ever lived. I can't give Adrian any less than 5 stars. Perhaps this book is flawed but I'm ...more
Cristina Jinga
Cum colorezi "aproape patru stele"n rating? Cele trei ramase sunt pline si stralucitoare, sa stiti! Doar ca mi s-a intamplat ca, pe masura ce dadeam paginile, sa ma simt din ce in ce mai nostalgic incantata de primul volum A. M. (Bine, asta e un cusur personal, asa patesc la toate seriile!)
Anton Shanaurin
Не уму, не сердце. Далёк я от страданий низшего среднего класса Англии начала восьмидесятых годов прошлого века. Наверное, и не имеет смысла читать дальше...
Svetlana Jovanovic
Sep 28, 2015 Svetlana Jovanovic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Read it in about two days. Funny :-)
Abigail Carter
(3.5 stars)
Sharon
Dec 11, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ria
Jun 01, 2015 Ria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this installment of Adrian's diary we have the usual turmoil at home but with a new addition, his mother is pregnant but who is the father? HIS father or Lucas who his mother had a brief affair with, add to that the birth of Brett, the child of his father HE created during a fling with Doreen Slater aka "the stick insect."
Between the arrival of both Brett and his new sister Rosie he is now not the only child of the Mole family which he finds disturbing at times especially as his mother is not
Radka
Nov 03, 2012 Radka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
První dva díly moleovské ságy mám hodně ráda (tenhle víc). Když jsem je četla ve "třinácti a tři čtvrtě", bavila jsem se hlavně lapáliemi hlavního hrdiny, zpětně jsem pak deníky docenila i jako zdroj nejrůznějších humorných poznatků a pozorování z prostředí thatcherovské Británie. Pod jejich vlivem jsem se opakovaně pokoušela nějaké deníky sama psát, první začínal nějak takhle: "Dnes jsem vrátila lístek na oběd a šla si do papírnictví koupit tenhle deník."
Craig
Dec 23, 2015 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still funny after all these years.

In this, the follow up to 'The Secret Diary...' our gormless Sartre wannabe has to deal with O Levels, Pandora, and his two new half siblings - the fruits of both his mum and dad's extra marital affairs. A quiet year then!

Poor Adrian isn't the sharpest tool in the box is he? His diary entries are honest and diligent, but he always fails to get the bigger picture and that's where the humour comes from. It's subtle and inferred but hugely amusing at times.

My favou
Jessica Powell
May 15, 2014 Jessica Powell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read it when I was about 12, and to my mind it's still one of the funniest books ever written. In this, the second entry in the series, Adrian tries to keep hold of Pandora as the birth of his baby sister Rosie - amongst other things - leads him to part existential crisis, part nervous breakdown.

Re-reading, I couldn't help but laugh out loud at Adrian's mother abandoning him at the social security office, and Adrian's ill fated attempt to go it all alone. The writing is faultless, the ch
Lynley
Jan 01, 2015 Lynley marked it as couldn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brit-lit
At page 83 I decided I really don't enjoy Adrian Mole. I now recollect abandoning the first in the series some years ago. These books have such a strong sense of setting that if you weren't living (or an adult) in 1980s England then quite a few of the jokes may well escape you, and although I got the joke about the Falklands War in the very first entry (due to having watched that movie about Margaret Thatcher) I'm sure I'm missing most of the others.

The main problem though is that this family is
Helda
Jul 28, 2015 Helda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
its a funny story i swear.
David Sarkies
May 21, 2015 David Sarkies rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
Adrian on the verge of Adulthood
26 August 2013

This continues on with the tradition of the first book that Townsend wrote and follows Adrian's life as he continues to struggle as a teenager in Britain in the 1980s. The series does continue on right up to the Iraq War and it appears that throughout his life he is madly in love with a woman named Pandora (I don't think that she is his first girlfriend, but I believe that he dumped his first girlfriend for Pandora). It seems that the idea is that A
Emily
Mar 08, 2011 Emily rated it liked it
This book is so much like the one which precedes it that I find it difficult to write an entirely separate review. This is (most of) what I had to say about The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4: "Adrian Mole, precocious British teenager, self-professed intellectual, and diarist tells us of his trials and tribulations. His musings are funny, sweet, and ultimately poignant.
Adrian is such a real and believable character that it's hard to believe he sprung from the mind of a middle-aged woma
mina
Mar 08, 2010 mina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ini adalah buku kedua dari serial diary-nya Adrian Mole. Karena aku belum pernah membaca buku pertamanya, jadinya tidak tahu kenapa si Adrian ini kok menulis diary. Tidak seperti Diary Putra Raja atau Diary Musuh Geng Kodok-nya Jessica Green yang menceritakan segala sesuatu dengan panjang lebar, diary-nya Adrian ini seperti orang menulis diary sesungguhnya: pendek-pendek, seperti tidak ada kaitan antar entry, dan persis seperti juga kita hidup, masalah tidak selesai dalam sehari atau seminggu at ...more
Lighthearted
Jul 14, 2009 Lighthearted rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adrian Mole is now 15 years old—and unfortunately his nose is swollen due to an experimental sniff of glue which resulted in his inadvertent attachment to a model aeroplane. The drama between his parents intensifies in this installment—his mom is pregnant and so is Doreen Slater aka Stick Insect (the woman his father dated while his mother was living with Mr. Lucas aka Creep Lucas). To add insult to injury, Adrian’s intellectual-status goes further unrecognized when Barry Kent wins the Youth Clu ...more
John
Nov 16, 2012 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second in a series of popular epistolary novels starring the Adrian Mole of the title, a precocious, neurotic, anxiety-prone drama queen of an English adolescent living in the early 1980s. Adrian leads a chaotic life in a poor and disorganized working class family. Both parents have on and off lovers, and babies of questionable parentage pop up now and then. Adrian is romantically entangled with classmate Penelope Braithwaite, but seems to be in love with being in love as much as he is in lo ...more
Simon Taylor
Adrian returns in this second outing of the Secret Diary saga.Set in 1983—1984, we continue to see the world through Adrian’s eyes as Margaret Thatcher’s Tories continue to rule. The Falklands War features prominently alongside lesser political sagas of the day.

Mole’s life picks up where The Secret Diary left off, with his on/off relationship with Pandora and his parents’ grudging reunion after both having affairs.

Reaching the age of 15, Adrian seems to be particularly naive. While that was a ch
Mark
Mar 13, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama, humour
Picking up the day after “The Secret Diary” ended, this volume contains plenty of turmoil in Adrian’s life - his mum and Stick Insect are both pregnant, which leads to the break-up of his parents marriage, there’s paternity issues on his sister Rosie (rat fink Lucas maintains she is his), his relationship with Pandora hits the rocks and he briefly ends up in Baz’s street gang, before running away to Manchester. Slightly darker in tone than the first volume - the Falklands War is dealt with well ...more
Christie
Feb 16, 2014 Christie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I really like all of the Adrian Mole books. They make me laugh out loud, not always an easy thing to do. I bought this book while on a childhood trip to Sweden where there wasn't much choice in books written in English. I'm so glad that I read it then and have continued to enjoy it as an adult. I have to admit that I very much enjoy the comical diary style books including Bridget Jones Diary and Youth in Revolt.
Katie
May 17, 2013 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, on-my-bookshelf
Read this on my blog

This is a coming of age (literally) novel surrounding the diary of Adrian Mole, a now 15 year old prepubescent boy who is learning to control his hormones, and work with and around his family problems at the same time as stabilising a relationship with a girl, who he believes is his one and only. This is a quick and easy read, and I found myself outwardly chuckling on various occasions as it is very to the point and quite witty for a boy that age.

With regards to the wit, it’s
Redfox5
Oct 04, 2013 Redfox5 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, teens, england, humor
I've had this book such a long time, the pages are falling out, at some point I've spilt tea all over it and those pages are all stained. It gives off a well read look about it. I don't think I'll be able to pass this book on. It shall have to stay with me for it's own saftey.

I'd forgotten just how funny Adrian Mole was. I read the rest of the series a year or so ago but there was a gap where I'd misplaced this one. Adrian is best as a teenager, he becomes annoying as he turns into an adult. I t
Sarah Sammis
Jun 21, 2007 Sarah Sammis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: released
I picked up a copy of the second Adrian Mole book at a recent BookCrossing meeting. As I was reading the first book at the time I brought home the second to read.

Growing Pains covers the aftermath of the first book. Adrian loses his status as an only child to be the brother to a sister and the half brother to the child of his father's mistress. His sister might also be a half sister if she was conceived during his mother's brief affair.

The book takes him to adulthood (16 in Britain) and rather
Ben Baker
Apr 12, 2014 Ben Baker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The one that got me started after whining to borrow it all those years ago. The references to Greenham Common and Ian Macgregor were lost on me in the late eighties but the way things are going now my head seems to be in that decade a lot. You could probably add some satires in here about David Cameron. I couldn't possibly comment.
Bookwormed Reviews: Adrian Mole 1 3 Apr 11, 2014 05:53AM
  • Vlak u snijegu
  • Boys, Brothers and Jelly Belly Dancing (Ally's World, #5)
  • Koko i duhovi
  • Čudnovate zgode šegrta Hlapića
  • Molesworth
  • Ježeva kućica
  • The E. Before Christmas
  • Wilt (Wilt, #1)
  • The Meaning of Life (Rachel Riley, #3)
  • The Diary of a Teenage Health Freak
  • Lote 12 - 2º Frente
  • The Machine-Gunners
  • Goggle-Eyes
  • The Exiles at Home (The Exiles, #2)
  • Hajduk protiv vetrenjača
  • Maria, ihm schmeckt's nicht!
  • Darling Buds Of May
  • The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tiler

Susan Lillian "Sue" Townsend is a British novelist, best known as the author of the Adrian Mole series of books. Her writing tends to combine comedy with social commentary, though she has written purely dramatic works as well. She suffered from diabetes for many years, as a
More about Sue Townsend...

Adrian Mole (8 books)
  • The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4  (Adrian Mole, #1)
  • True Confessions of Adrian Albert Mole (Adrian Mole, #3)
  • Adrian Mole: The Wilderness Years (Adrian Mole, #4)
  • Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years (Adrian Mole, #5)
  • Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction (Adrian Mole, #6)
  • The Lost Diaries of Adrian Mole, 1999-2001 (Adrian Mole, #7)
  • Adrian Mole: The Prostrate Years (Adrian Mole, #8)

“I don't know why women are so mad about flowers. Personally, they leave me cold. I prefer trees.” 11 likes
“It has just been on the news that a man has been found in the Queen’s bedroom. Radio Four said that the man was an intruder and was previously unknown to the Queen. My father said: ‘That’s her story.” 1 likes