Ruin (Ruin, #1)

Ruin (Ruin #1)

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  22,146 ratings  ·  2,926 reviews
I'm not your typical girl. I've been running away from the memories that haunt me for so long that depression has become my only comfort. I was content in the darkness...until Wes Michals offered to be my light.

I didn't know that time wasn't my ally -- that every second that ticked past was one step closer to the end of something that was beginning to mean the end of mysel...more
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 250 pages
Published August 11th 2013 by Rachel Van Dyken (first published August 10th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Ruin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruin

Lisa

description

I love LOVE. I love everything about falling in love.

The butterflies in the tummy....

description

The heart pounding and swoony moments....

description

This this is exactly what happened to me while reading this book. I fell in utter and complete love with Ruin by Rachel Van Dyken. Complete adoration.

Rachel Van Dyken did not give me what I was expecting. The storyline was nothing I could have predicted. It was simply a beautiful journey that I was sad to see come to an end. Ruin packs a powerful punch of emotion. It is...more
Aestas Book Blog

Casting for Wes & Kiersten:

4.5 stars ** FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED **

Ruin made me laugh, cry and swoon. If you want a book that will both leave you uplifted and make you smile while still having a lot of emotional depth, then pick this one up and fall in love with Wes Michels. But bring tissues! It's a tearjerker!

This is the story of a sweet, innocent, small-town girl, lost in hurt and reeling from a tragic loss, and a cocky but charming boy, who understood her pain and could reach through to...more
Jess-i-ca ~The Gif Witch~

Really enjoyed this one even though it wasn't realistic..Did a lot of
crying photo tumblr_lo7lzeaJFF1qlt9puo1_r1_500_zps42d122ea.gif

and

and

not fair photo tantrum_zps546d7cd8.gif

Kiersten is struggling with her parents death. She finally decides to get out and try to embrace life. She meets the RA at her college, Wes. Their nicknames for each other were cute. (Kiersten - Lamb, Weston - Wolf)

my man photo tumblr_m3nbl4vQUc1rt7c04o1_500_zps13f5065c.gif

Weston is sick (but still HOT!). He doesn't know if he will live or die (Not a spoiler b/c you find this out pretty fast something is wrong) He starts falling for Kiersten and wants to live for her.

hotguy photo 9072385_zps5d02c734.jpg

Kiersten...more
MK~ Picky Girl
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

See that picture above, that is how I felt while reading Ruin. Unfortunately, I was bored!! It was just too "sugary sweet" for me.

I really don't have a ton to say about the novel Ruin. I'm probably one of the few people out there that thought this book was just ok.. It's a storyline that I have encountered before, many times in fact. It wasn't bad per say but it certainly wasn't amazing. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out why it got so many five star reviews.

Here are my issues:
The...more
Jennifer Kyle
"Fear can be your ally. You can do something afraid."

description

Fair is fair, I didn’t care for this author’s previous book and did a review stating all the things that made it an unbearable read for me.

My how the tide has changed…

I found this book to be ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC, MIRACULOUS, HILARIOUS, SWOON WORTHY, HEART BREAKING and it more than deserves my 5 stars.

This story is told in the dual pov of college freshman, Kiersten Rowe and senior/quarterback/son of one of the world's richest man, Wes Michal...more
Catarina
4 Real Sweet Bucket-list Stars!

”Maybe it’s not in the perfection of life that things make sense, but in the chaos.”

This is the story of Kiersten and Wes.
Kiersten is mourning the loss of her parents, she never had the chance of saying goodbye to them and she closed herself to the world, afraid of having to feel loss again. She is kind of a broken soul.

description

Enter Wes. Tv show star, completely hot and unfortunately, extremely sick.
So he knows he can’t fall in love with her, not when he doesn’t know...more
Meli Mel *Ty and Zane's Creeper*

♥♥♥ 4.5 'RUINED ME' STARS ♥♥♥

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

She has absolutely no idea what she does to me.... She’s my medicine, my cure, my everything. If only hearts could heal that way – through someone else’s beating.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Well, when I decided to read this book, I was NOT expecting to read what I read. I thought it would be your typical bad boy story, but it was so much more. I am SO glad I gave this a try. I don't think this review will be very long. I DON'T want to give anything away. I...more
Erica
Wow! I loved this book. A reading high is the ultimate reward from a really good story! You know when you finish a book and you’re like… this is the best book ever. Incredible. I’m in love. Nothing will ever beat it. I can’t believe it’s over. Come on, just one more chapter!! *happy tears*??? Well that was me at the time! I loved it.

"His eyes held my ruin.”

I was wringing my hands throughout the whole book. It was a very bittersweet ride to the ending. The dread alone had me reeling. I was goi...more
Lisa Jayne
Mar 10, 2014 Lisa Jayne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lisa Jayne by: Anna
FOUR WOLF STARS.

"I'd never felt so alive as when that girl, that perfectly strange girl who I'd only met days before, was near me."

description

You know those type of books that you feel like everyone has read but you? Well, this book was exactly one of those and I can't tell you any other reason for the delay in starting this book other than I didn't think I would be ready for what I knew would be a tear jerker and I can report with satisfaction that this book definitely needs to be read with a good supply...more
Mo
I LIKED it, didn’t absolutely love it, and I see that I am in the minority from most of my friends. It was a nice story, he was nice, she was nice, the friends were very nice. Dad was nice, Uncle was nice…. Have I turned into someone who NEEDs a bit of angst in a book. I don’t think so. Maybe I really need the characters to be older. I am 47, so reading about 18 year olds might just be a bit too much for me. Overall a nice story, Will I check out other books by this author – probably – have read...more
Anna

This guy.....Wes.....he invaded my heart! I wanted to sacrifice my heart for his !!!❤❤❤ I loved him !!!

"I'm going to make it so hard for you to forget this first kiss that you don't want anyone else kissing you ever again. When the guy you fall in love with kisses you- it better put this kiss to shame- if it doesn't then he isn't the right guy. Because I'm going to do a damn good job, and I want that guy that earns you, that takes that heart of yours and holds it in the palm of his hands....I wa
J *I did it all for the nookie.The book nookie*
5--I'm officially RUINed--Stars!!!

"You rescued me and I found my ruin. I'm ruined for you--and I won't ever be the same. It's the greatest gift anyone's ever given me."

First of all....big fan of Rachel Van Dyken. The cover on this book--SMOKING HOT! Really had no idea what to expect--definitely wasn't expecting what I got....in the BEST. WAY. POSSIBLE.

Expect to do a lot of this....

And a shit ton of this....

This was a fantastic read. Sucked me in from the first page. I immediatly fell in love wi...more
Jamie~Book Boyfriend Ho♥
One of the most amazing book's I've read... A story of loss, tragedy, miracles, and absolute epic love. I cried so hard throughout their story but there were also so many beautiful moments that they just took my breath away. This is a MUST read..an absolute MUST read in my opinion. I'm so so glad I did...

Farah *Professor Dean's Beauty*

4 ruined stars!

"Don’t give up yet. Sometimes when we think God has written The End , what he really means is The Beginning .”

So.. Its taken me a few days to write this review because I've been gathering my feelings about it.

I have to start off by saying that this book was excellently written.

With different POV's we get the emotions of two totally different characters which in my book are brought together by sheer fate.

Kiersten is such an innocent girl which grief and depression has taken over l...more
Crystal (Books Are Sanity!!!)
Ruin wasn't what I expected, it was better! It is a story that I didn't foresee, a topic I didn't think could be tackled, and a journey I didn't want to end. Ruin is raw; pure raw emotion. You will cry, your breathing will hitch, you will tell yourself 'this can't be happening' over and over again -- and you will continue to read because this story is powerful and has the ability to change you -- change your outlook on life, on love, on time. I feel blessed to have read this book (yes I just sai...more
Brandi
Such a sweet, emotional story <3

Kiersten has spent the last two years consumed with grief and guilt. Struggling to deal with the pain from a tragic lo...more
 ✿Alyssa✿
This review was posted at My Secret Romance

To sum it up: I'm not your typical girl. I've been running away from the memories that haunt me for so long that depression has become my only comfort. I was content in the darkness... Until Wes Michals offered to be my light.

I didn't know that time wasn't my ally -- That every second that ticked past was one step closer to the end of something that was beginning to mean the end of myself. He tried to warn me. He promised me all he was able to offer--Ea...more
Daisy

" Why give me only two choices? Don't leave out your legs, your laugh, the way you bite your lip when you're thinking,the feel of your breath on my face, the sound of your voice in the morning, the way you taste, the three freckles on your nose, the tan of your eyelashes, the caring spirit, the determined soul - so why stop at your hair and your heart? How do expect me to choose? When what I love the most about you - is you"

When I started the prologue, I was

photo tumblr_mbpe5dQIAr1qipyy2o1_r2_500_large.gif

Then, when Wes entered,

photo tumblr_moordbA0ev1s27krjo1_500-2.gif

And then,...more
Kitty Kats Crazy About Books
5 LAMB and WOLF stars!!

I fell head over heels in love with each and every character in this book, they were perfect, not over the top just right, no annoying female character either (BONUS)!! Not just one hot guy but TWO!!

And if none of you swooned over Wes there is definitely something wrong with you!! I admit it freely I was swooning all the way through this b...more
M. ~ B&B
For once, I don't have much to say about a book. I hoped to love this, but unfortunately I didn't. The story is about two characters who have both experienced loss and grief. The hero in this story is sick, but he doesn't tell anyone about it. When he meets the heroine, he decides to help her and show her how to live life. In the process, he gets his love for life and living back too.

One of my biggest problems here was that I didn't connect with the characters at all. It all seemed very rushed...more
Megan
Okay deep breath so I can try to accurately convey the amazingness of this book, because honestly I'm not sure words can do Ruin justice!

I do not have any idea how one woman can be so incredibly blessed to literally hold your heart in her hands and write a book that demands your undivided attention, wrings you of every emotion, and just leaves you in awe when you've completed it. So much so that I am sitting here, reliving the book and smiling and tearing up still! Rachel Van Dyken is a Book Wr...more
kristina
I finally found some free time to finish this book!!The last 20% was not what I was expecting but still good (unfortunately it was also unrealistic but anyways).
Review to come!
Ada
Aug 19, 2013 Ada rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves life
Recommended to Ada by: Hayley Whitlock

5 this-book-will-ruin-you STARS

I’ve decided to stop doing reviews, but there’s always a book somewhere that makes you want to say something and me doing a review right now should say a lot. There are so many bookblogs and awesome reviewers that are WAY better at this than me and I thought I might have a slight chance of conquering my HUGE TBR list by never putting a book down without picking up another, but there’s no such thing as having too many books to read, right?

Don’t even bother reading...more
Wanderlust

This book, described in one gif.

Should you read this book?

A gif for the author, thank you for making my heartbreak in the most beautiful way <3

Heather

This book ruined me for all other books. I normally like the more adult books with hot and steamy romance in them. This was an adult book but it was all about the romance and the emotional and mental relationship and not about the physical aspects. This book was perfection. It has earned a coveted spot on my all time favorites list.

Kiersten is a college freshman. She has been through a lot in the last few years and it was a stretch to get her to go off on her own. She has to prove to herself tha

Patrycja

Ruin is not a bad book, it just didn't captivate me. As much as I wanted to love it I could only sigh wishing for more... magic and love. It didn't lack in charm department that's for sure, but story is quite predictable. After reading many amazing reviews I hoped for more.
Barbara
Apr 04, 2014 Barbara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Barbara by: Carolina
Shelves: wow, blowing-feelings
"Living is heaven. Living is a gift."

This book develops a thought subject for me, but I’m so glad I follow my friend Carolina advice, because at the ending all I want was this!*CUDDLE*

photo cute-baby-kittens-black-and-whiteblack-and-white-cuddle-cute-kitten-kitty-love---image--27501-mlktyhz4_zps794796b8.jpg

Weston and Kriesten story, so heart-warming, two broken humans, found in each other´s that there is new meaning for living!
 photo Apresentaccedilatildeo1_zps6adda962.jpg

I laughed, I cried, and had some my heart will burst moments, oh… and I would love to be young and fall in love again for the first time, that´s what this book made me feel !!

A book of nev...more
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
Ruin by Rachel Van Dyken

4.5 stars!!

“Don’t give up yet. Sometimes when we think God has written The End, what he really means is The Beginning.”

This is one hell of a beautiful YA read, this book starts as it means to go on…EMOTIONAL!!

Kiersten had lost both her parents and was being brought up by her Uncle Jobob. For years she had been grieving and he was frightened for her, she needed to learn to live again rather than stare blankly at the walls, so he encouraged her to go to college. Kiersten f...more
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
Jointly reviewed by http://totallybookedblog.com/

4.5 Stars

Jenny: First thought when I finished this book? “That was absolutely beautiful”. In fact, I recall saying those words out loud. I was in a daze. My second thought? This needs to be made into a movie! I was mesmerised with Ruin. What a truly heartfelt, moving, sweet, funny and truly beautiful story Ruin was. I read it in one sitting, loved it and alternated between swooning and snotty crying.

“I can tell you have a good heart…..”
“Because
Christine
“...it's not the perfection of life that things make sense, but in the chaos.”

Seriously...this is a book that makes you laugh out loud, swoon like a love sick puppy and make you ugly cry all at the same time! I loved it!!

This was bloody brilliant.

Kiersten is in her first year of college. She's not your typical girl. She has demons the size of dragons that keep her in a constant state of depression. She self-medicates to keep the bad memories away during the day, though they come back full f...more
Need help with finding this book 2 18 Aug 19, 2014 12:56PM
Loved this book 11 189 Jul 30, 2014 05:26PM
Stuck and losing my mind 74 184 Jun 22, 2014 04:57PM
Grab Your Klennex Box 4 75 Jun 22, 2014 04:47PM
Prologue issue 42 522 Nov 30, 2013 09:03PM
New to New Adult: Trick Or Treat Author Interview! 3 22 Oct 08, 2013 08:23PM
  • Sweet Home (Sweet Home, #1)
  • Beautiful Broken Rules (Broken, #1)
  • Present Perfect (Perfect, #1)
  • Smart, Sexy and Secretive (The Reed Brothers, #2)
  • Price of a Kiss (Forbidden Men, #1)
  • Keep Me Still (Keep Me Still, #1)
  • Willing Captive
  • More Than This (More, #1)
  • Until You (Fall Away, #1.5)
  • Loving Mr. Daniels
  • Full Measures
  • Left Drowning
  • Ricochet (Addicted, #1.5)
  • Making Faces
  • Before Now (Sometimes Never, #2)
  • Broken and Screwed 2 (BS, #2)
  • Darkness Before Dawn (Darkness, #2)
  • When It Rains (Rain, #1)
Rachel Van Dyken is the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today Bestselling author of regency and contemporary romances. When she's not writing you can find her drinking coffee at Starbucks and plotting her next book while watching The Bachelor.
She keeps her home in Idaho with her Husband and their snoring Boxer, Sir Winston Churchill. She loves to hear from readers! You can follow her...more
More about Rachel Van Dyken...
The Bet (The Bet, #1) Elite (Eagle Elite, #1) Tear (Seaside, #1) The Wager (The Bet, #2) Toxic (Ruin, #2)

“Maybe it's not in the perfection of life that things make sense, but in the chaos.” 183 likes
“Wherever I am, whatever I'm doing, alive or dead, young or old, my heart will always be with yours. Every beat you feel against your fingertips..." His fingers tapped against my chest, once, twice. "... is me calling out to you. It's you returning the call. It's us talking, communicating, bonding, sharing, Living -- Kiersten, it's us living.” 181 likes