Start by marking “An Invitation to Indian Cooking” as Want to Read:
An Invitation to Indian Cooking

An Invitation to Indian Cooking

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Written especially for Americans, this book demonstrates how varied, exciting, and inexpensive Indian cooking can be, and how easily you can produce authentic dishes at home. Over 200 recipes.
Published May 12th 1975 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about An Invitation to Indian Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Invitation to Indian Cooking

This is another cookbook that I've owned for years (since I was a teenager). I was bold and brave in those days and I tackled the complex spice mixes with great enthusiasm--and generally a lot of success. Madhur Jaffrey is a great teacher; if you think you can't possibly master this style of cooking, do not fear, she makes it easy. And you would be surprised at how even fussy eaters take to this--her recipe for cauliflower with onion and tomato (flavored with ginger, coriander, cumin and garam m ...more
Lee Broderick
As a Britisher who loves his food, I like to think to myself that I know a thing or two about Indian food: ghee is clarified butter; Hindus don't eat beef. Well, there's just two received wisdoms that Madhur Jaffrey's disabused me of in this book. Hindus do eat beef - when it's from water buffalo. Ghee, meanwhile, is more of a collective noun for cooking fats, with most ghee used in India actually being vegetable oil.

This came eighteenth in The Observer's Best 50 Cookbooks of all Time and, hav
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I was able to buy this book second hand from Amazon for less than a Euro. And what a find it is! This is, if not the first, one of the first Madhur Jaffrey cookbooks, born of the air letters her mother sent to her when she was a starving college student hungry for the flavours of home. I would have preferred a hardback (I actually use my cookbooks...a lot), but hey, it's 40 years old!

It's definitely my kind of cookbook. No photo spreads to bump up the price. No cheffy "look at me" techniques tha
Madhur Jaffrey's classic 1973 cookbook brought to the American melting pot a new food, doing for Indian cuisine what Julia Child had done for French. The recipes are as inspiring as ever, but I particularly like her stories of India, as well as the pieces that reference the state of tracking down ingredients in 1970s America. I was struck by this in her introduction to rice recipes:

"If you are lucky enough to be near a specialty store carrying Indian rice, buy basmati rice. [...] In the last few
The most engrossing cookbook I've read in recent memory. Jaffrey has a gift for prose as well as completely delicious recipes. I loved reading her stories of growing up in India which are often incorporated in the introduction to a recipe. An added plus is her creation of a mini-drama to imagine the origin of Curry Powder. While this cookbook has no photographs of completed dishes (which seems to be de rigueur), her descriptions are so excellent that photographs are unnecessary. Dotted throughou ...more
The BEST Indian cookbook. Everything tastes very authentic and is relatively easy to prepare.
Murray Tyler
I originally borrowed this book from my local library but promptly went and bought a copy. I had cooked Indian before but never quite achieved that 'restaurant' flavour. The recipes in this book allow you to achieve that authentic taste. Coupled with the lovely writing and insights into Indian life, this book is a must have.
This has become one of my "bibles" in the kitchen.
Jen Shapiro
This cookbook was originally published in 1973. An ambitious effort for almost 40 years ago. I learned a lot reading this book, especially about how flavors in Indian food are built and layered from the first tablespoons of oil. Although her more recent cookbook "At Home with Madhur Jaffrey" is a little more accessible to the typical home cook, this cookbook is still a great addition to my collection, and I have enjoyed every recipe I have cooked thus far.
If you think that Indian cooking is too hard - the multi-talented Madhur Jaffrey will set you straight. It's all about timing - when you saute the onion or add the spices really makes such a difference in the finished product. Just pay close mind to Madhur and you can't go wrong - there is not a single recipe dud in the bunch. I'm thinking about the green beans with green chilies and yogurt right now...
Recommended to American cooks eager to learn the complexities of classic Delhi cooking. I love the size and format of the book (an easy-to-hold paperback) because this isn't just a bunch of recipes, it's a readable, interesting introduction to Delhi food-culture by a skilled writer.
Louise Davy
Brilliant. This was my introduction to Madhur Jaffrey. No pictures - well lots of word pictures in the introductions to recipes. She introduced me to the use of a blender in place of an aged relative grinding the spices and herbs.

I have cooked so many of her recipes from this book - a favourite is stuffed okra.
I recommend the canned chickpeas with garlic and ginger. It has opened my eyes to the virtues of asafatida powder-- it smells very strongly of rotting onions and garlic but is delicious when used in proper amounts and in the proper dishes.

My wife is also getting good with the samosas and a variety of chutneys.
Systematically making my way through every recipe in this fantastic collection. I've had so much fun slowly gathering up the Indian spices that I can only find at Patel's Cash & Carry, in Jersey City's Little India. Every dish has been divine. I'm so grateful to my sister J for giving this to me as a gift.
This is my Indian cooking bible from Madhur Jaffrey, prodigous cookbook author and (incidentally) Indian film star. Her guide to putting together spice mixtures and base ingredients is invaluable, and her recipes are easily flexible to substitutions.
The author wrote this book in the 1970's and it is a classic. She makes Indian cooking relatively easy!
Jane Mcdonnell
Just made 2 dishes from this book last night and they came out great.
Diane Lynn
Good solid book with lots of info and recipes.
Argona marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Melanie Morphyades
Melanie Morphyades marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Anne added it
Oct 29, 2015
Sunil Kumar
Sunil Kumar marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Suzzane marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Susan Johnston
Susan Johnston marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Michael Davison
Michael Davison marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Jim Mac Manus
Jim Mac Manus marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
  • Classic Indian Cooking
  • The Essential Cuisines of Mexico: Revised and updated throughout, with more than 30 new recipes.
  • Tapas (Revised): The Little Dishes of Spain
  • Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking
  • Mastering the Art of Chinese Cooking
  • The Book of Jewish Food: An Odyssey from Samarkand to New York
  • Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art
  • The Slow Mediterranean Kitchen: Recipes for the Passionate Cook
  • The Country Cooking of France
  • Thai Food
  • The Classic Italian Cook Book: The Art of Italian Cooking and the Italian Art of Eating
  • Into the Vietnamese Kitchen: Treasured Foodways, Modern Flavors
  • Bon Appetit Desserts: The Cookbook for All Things Sweet and Wonderful
  • Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Islands of Indonesia, Singapore, and Malaysia
  • Real Cajun: Rustic Home Cooking from Donald Link's Louisiana
  • Please to the Table: The Russian Cookbook
  • 5 Spices, 50 Dishes: Simple Indian Recipes Using Five Common Spices
  • James Beard's American Cookery
Madhur Jaffrey is the person who brought curries into the mainstream with her 1973 debut book An Invitation to Indian Cookery.
More about Madhur Jaffrey...