Start by marking “Singer in the Snow” as Want to Read:
Singer in the Snow

Singer in the Snow

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  233 ratings  ·  16 reviews
On the ice planet of Nevya, people rely on Cantors and Cantrixes, men and women with the ability to channel psi energy through music, creating heat and light. Mreen is possibly the most talented Cantrix on Nevyabut she is unable to make a sound. She is accompanied to her first posting by a younger Singer, Emle, who must come to terms with her own flawed Gift. When the two ...more
Hardcover
Published October 20th 2005 by Viking Juvenile (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Singer in the Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Singer in the Snow

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Dena Landon for TeensReadToo.com

In this inventive and well-told fantasy, Marley creates a world bound by ice and snow, where the daily ritual of quirna is all that keeps its residents from death. Those who create the ritual are called Singers, their ability to channel their Gift - a psionic power - and create warmth carefully trained at the Conservatory before they are sent out into greater society to serve. Emle is training to be a Singer, but while her technical skills are perfect,
Grace
The professional reviews I read about this series said that it shouldn't be classed as YA, as it's just generally wonderful. Those reviewers are insane.

I really haven't been as frustrated with characters in a long while as I have with Marley's ice-world inhabitants. They're twits. They are brought up in a cross between a cloister and a snobby finishing school, and then are loosed on a world that's been trained to revere them. Now, this might be an interesting construct to take apart, but it's a
Danielle
A really intriguing premise--on an ice world, Gifted musicians have psi, which warms and protects large, communal Houses from dying of the deep cold. She does a nice job of worldbuilding, using foreign-sounding words to indicate unique animals and cultural events (for instance, every night there is a hot bath with a special name; the mandatory nightly warming ceremony is called a "quirinha", IIRC), and has a couple of characters with interesting conflicts (like Mreen, a Gifted who cannot speak, ...more
Ugh, this was immensely unsatisfying.

Let me start by saying that the author's prose is lovely. The characters are well-written and consistent. The world-building is intriguing. But the plot? The story? The character development?

The only real tension in the story (view spoiler) is completely ignored. It's never resolved. The plot point that the author orchestrated to be the main conflict however, fell flat. Everything was tied up too neatly, too quickly, too easily. (
Alex
A marvelously crafted world with real danger lurking ominously about! I love this sort of thing. The characters struggle with some heavy situations, particularly in regards to family and coming of age. It can be a bit difficult to read for the truly sensitive, and those who love happy endings might be the tiniest bit disappointed. The bittersweetness of it, though, is touching, and considering the darkness of Luke's storyline, it's appropriate. He's going to carry this with him forever, and so i ...more
Lenka
It was an interesting read, although the constant use of those made-up words was sometimes annoying, but, on the whole, I quite enjoyed it.
Grace
Louise Marley's writing reminds me of Tamora Pierce's......except her characters aren't as good. I could easily picture the events, because there just wasn't much happening. Apparently, the people of Nevya just hunt for food, care for their animals, and do a bit of cleaning and occasional traveling. Cantrixes/Singers practice their instruments, bath, eat, and occasionally accompany riders.
It's not realistic on how empty these people's lives are. Someone has to make a fuss once in a while, someo
Joy
I bought this for a dollar because I thought the introducing line of the summary, "On the ice planet of Nevya, music is a matter of life and death," was very interesting. However, I was afraid it would not be good because it had been marked down so many times.

I don't get why it was marked down!! I loved it!! Sometimes, the foreign vocabulary threw me off a few times, but that was because I'd neglected to read the glossary. I loved the characters, and I thought the idea of channeling psi energy t
Gail O'connor
I loved this book. It's especially great to read on a cold winter's night sitting by the fire. The characters all had personal conflicts to battle and interesting pasts that wove the story together. The book was hard to put down. Louise Marley's writing style, characters and plot reminded me of Shannon Hale and her Bayern book series which I also loved. This is the first book I've read by Louise Marley and I look forward to reading more.
Katy
The book was a pretty quick read, but learning the book's vocabulary was a bit tedious. It was hard to start due to not knowing the language, but as the book progresses it becomes easier to remember the vocabulary. The story-line was alright, but it could have been a little bit better and the reader could have learned more about the character's backgrounds. It wasn't that great.
Katrina Sutton
I read this book a couple of time from my local library and just love the story. I am a huge fan of fantasy and mythical times intertwined with magic. I gave it 5 stars because it was smooth from start to bottom.
Pamela
Thank heavens I have a little bit of music training or else I might have been lost with this one. It was a fun and simple story.
Miss
Jun 27, 2011 Miss rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beach read
Recommended to Miss by: synopsis
Shelves: teen-fiction, fantasy
Reminiscent of Anne McAffree's Dragon Song/Dragon Singer. Good summer read to keep you cool.
Victoria
the first time i read this book i cried my eyes out and stayed up until midnight just to read it.
Kayla
i think this book was interesting. Very good though....
Lexi
good book on finding yourself
Kim Frances
Kim Frances marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Joanne James
Joanne James marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Julia H.
Julia H. marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Debi
Debi marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Risha Fernandez
Risha Fernandez is currently reading it
Apr 24, 2015
Anna Meyer
Anna Meyer marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
ares
ares added it
Apr 18, 2015
Catherine Johnson
Catherine Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
  • Outriders
  • Hex Witch of Seldom
  • A Coalition of Lions (The Lion Hunters, #2)
  • The Dream-Maker's Magic (Safe-Keepers, #3)
  • The Glasswrights' Test (Glasswright, #4)
  • Gift of the Unmage (Worldweavers, #1)
  • Goddess of Yesterday
  • Growing Wings
  • Murkmere (Murkmere Hall, #1)
  • Jars of Glass
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 6
  • I Can't Be Good All the Time: An Anne Taintor Collection
  • City of Night (The House War, #2)
  • The Juniper Game
  • Twilight Child
  • The Green Dwarf: A Tale of the Perfect Tense (Hesperus Classics)
  • Doctor Who: The Celestial Toymaker (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 111)
  • Thomas (The Deptford Histories, #3)
Louise Marley, a former concert and opera singer, has published sixteen novels. Writing as Cate Campbell, her recent books are historical fiction. As Louise Marley, she writes fantasy and science fiction and occasionally young adult fiction.
More about Louise Marley...
Mozart's Blood The Terrorists of Irustan The Glass Harmonica The Glass Butterfly Sing the Light (Singers of Nevya, #1)

“Six Stars,' he exclaimed. 'Finding the right words is hard!” 2 likes