Knitting Vintage Socks: New Twists on Classic Patterns

Knitting Vintage Socks: New Twists on Classic Patterns

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  533 ratings  ·  26 reviews
This collection of vintage sock patterns mines "Weldon's Practical Needlework," a compilation of newsletters published more than 100 years ago, for some of the best. Includes updates of 24 classic patterns for modern knitters.
Published October 1st 2005 by Interweave Press (first published September 28th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Knitting Vintage Socks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knitting Vintage Socks

Becky
Hey Oh! Who loves knitting socks more than me? No one! This book is rife with info about knitting socks but also the history of knitting socks and even wool in Europe vs. wool here in the state and how and why they differ. Even if you don't know the difference between knitting and purling, the first part of this book has enough history to keep you interested.
Kimberleena
Great patterns, even some history of knitting (I'm a total geek, I admit it). Some of the heels are funky though, so I don't use the ones the pattern calls for.
Miss Mouse
Dec 03, 2007 Miss Mouse rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sock Knitters
Shelves: knitting
Wonderful knitted sock patterns! Of all the sock pattern books I own, this one has the least number of socks that are on my Must Knit list, but it's still a great book!
Meg
Basically the ugliest art direction ever, but it's a workhorse of a book. Wish I'd thought to buy the spiral-bound edition.
Jessi
I haven't gotten to socks yet. But someday soon.
Susan
Nancy Bush's 'Folk Socks' was my "Bible" for sock knitting because she presented both a collection of heels and toes, and I could choose from them as I knitted socks from my handspun yarn; one of her designs led me to a staple in my own array of sock designs.

This is an interesting book because she's taken patterns from 'Weldon's Practical Needlework,' a magazine published in the late 1800s and early 1900s in Great Britain, and updated them for current yarns and resulting needle sizes. As with 'F...more
Lily
May 20, 2008 Lily rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: knitting-books
An excellent book on knitting socks. The beginning chapter provides a basic template for socks. It then proceeds to cover the different kinds of toes and heels showing pictures of each and explaining how to knit each one. The patterns are excellent and clear and it is easy to substitute the different toe types or heel types according to your preferences.

If I could have only one book in my library on knitting socks, this would be the one I would want.
Samantha
Feb 18, 2008 Samantha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: knitters
Recommended to Samantha by: amazon.com
Shelves: knitting
This arrived on the friday and I was knitting by the saturday. I love the idea of using vintage patterns and this book is delightfully illustrate and the patterns are great. There's a little history as well without deviating from the original plan of the book - knitting! And I love the spiral bound format as it prevents the book from closing on you as you're trying to follow the pattern...
Tonileg
Another historical knitting book with patterns added, the format is a spiral bound bard cover which makes for easy pattern reading because the book lays flat when you're knitting up your socks.
I still need to review this book as I knit up some holiday gift socks so this is a review that will be modified as I use the book.

3 stars for now.
Erin
Every pattern in this book is fantastic, and the discussion of 19th-century knitting and review of different types of heels and toes are lovely references, too. My only complaint about this book is that the photography is not very good--but displaying any handknits unworn when they are intended as articles of clothing is a pet peeve of mine.
Gina
May 01, 2012 Gina rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
The patterns were less interesting than the historical documentation showing knitted socks dating back to the reign of Henry VIII. Specific sock designs and patterns were used to designate family names and relationships..esp. for fisherman who went to work,often died at sea, and could only be identified by their socks.
Debbie
Jan 23, 2008 Debbie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lori
Shelves: knitting
Adaptations of patterns found in Weldon's Practical Needlework from the late 1887 to 1914. A short section on the history of Weldon's with quotes from the original. Directions for 4 different heels and 6 toe shapings and 20 sock patternss, including heelless sleep socks.

Much more than I'm up for but glad I borrowed it.
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Nov 04, 2011 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of sock knitting
Weldon's Practical Needlework was a monthly publication from 1886 to the end of the 1920's. Nancy Bush took many of the old patterns and translated them into projects understandable and executable by modern knitters.

I liked the photographs, charts, instructions, and drawings.
RH Walters
I love this book! I relish the historical theme and Bush writes or rewrites the patterns in an understandable way. I'm still making the railway stitch socks but haven't made anything else and the library won't let me renew it anymore. I will seek it out again in the future.
Diane
Not a beginner's book (no size variations for one thing), and a few more charts would be nice, but really fascinating. I have two pairs of socks from this book on needles right now, one for my husband and one for my son, and I think they'll actually wear them!
Alexandra Daw
So many socks...so little time...
Amanda
Jul 09, 2008 Amanda rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: knitting
I've never knit socks from this book, but I like looking at it. Unfortunately, I do not foresee myself making any of these. It's still a nice book.
Kaarin
Sep 10, 2007 Kaarin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: sock knitters
I'm learning four new different types of heel and toe construction. Fascinating to see how socks were made not that long ago.
Fangirl
A collection of very interesting sock patterns based on vintage socks.
Leisa
Great sock book, by a master. Very informative and wonderful patterns.
Karin
If I could only bring one sock book with me. This would be it. That's all.
Linda
Excellent guide for knitting sox. Very clear instructions and photos.
devon anderson
Beautiful patterns, easy to follow, love love love.
Julia
Really beautiful, slightly difficult patterns.
Patricia
I have used several patterns already.
Christine
Awesome knitting book.
Amy Demars
Amy Demars marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
  • A Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • Knitting Around
  • Scarf Style
  • A Gathering of Lace
  • Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points & Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders
  • Vogue® Knitting The Ultimate Sock Book: History*Technique*Design
  • The Knitter's Book of Yarn: The Ultimate Guide to Choosing, Using, and Enjoying Yarn
  • The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook: Dyeing, Painting, Spinning, Designing, Knitting
Knitted Lace of Estonia Folk Socks: The History & Techniques of Handknitted Footwear Knitting on the Road Folk Knitting in Estonia: A Garland of Symbolism, Tradition and Technique