Start by marking “The Brat Whisperer” as Want to Read:
The Brat Whisperer

The Brat Whisperer (Don't Read in the Closet Events)

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  323 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
Dear Author,
He’s alone― so alone. How did his life come to this? And who’s going to help him find his way?

Photo Description:
Image of a young man looking off into the distance with a tear running down his face.

This story was written as a part of the M/M Romance Group's "Love Has No Boundaries" event. Group members were asked to write a story prompt inspired by a photo of t
Published June 26th 2013 by M/M Romance Group @ goodreads

To ask other readers questions about The Brat Whisperer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brat Whisperer

Emma Sea
Jun 26, 2013 Emma Sea rated it liked it
Well! The most important thing I learned reading this is that J.A. Rock is coming to NZ this year! Squee!

Oh, yeah, and the story! Actually for me this was a little too reasonable. It took the fic from hot fantasy into too-close-to-seeming-like-reality to make me comfortable. A vast amount of this will be because I don't think DD ships IRL are a good idea, and this was written in a very non-excessive manner, that kind of highlights the very aspects of DD I don't like.

Corwin dove me half-insane j
Bev

One more from the LHNB event. 4 stars

I could honestly see myself giving Corwin a really good slap , but was quite content to leave Mike to it in the end, and hope that Mike's influence and love would result in a more grown-up and co-operative Corwin.
Camille
Jul 11, 2013 Camille rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-rom-erotica, free
Good job with Corwin, the brat, and illustrating the feeling of being too much to handle, the fear that comes with such and the desperate desire for that one able to handle it all.

Not such a great job with Mike. It might just me but that's not my idea of a Top. Dispensing punishment, doling out licks does not automatically a Top make. There are key character traits that are inherent that Mike doesn't have. And at one point, he throws a bit of his own tantrum. Kudos for straying away from fhe omn
Lilia Ford
JA Rock manages to do a huge amount with 69 pages so that the book feels almost like a full-length novel instead of a short story. I often find the whole DD set-up feels artificial--too much like a clever (erotic) fictional plot set-up (a bit like the title actually) and not enough like recognizable reality. So I was especially impressed that Rock was able to capture so efficiently and persuasively why two people would crave a relationship like this and how it might work in practice.

I did find
Sarah_loves_books
Yes, only two stars. I loved that this was an emotional story. The descriptions of Corwin's feelings tore at my heart. He needed someone to love him so much. He even asked for it in words. My problem with this story was that I didn't think Mike could give him what he needed. He didn't give him enough assertion, loving and hope for the future. Not until quite the end did Mike admit to even himself what he wanted. Maybe Mike was a realistic character, a Top with his own worries, but Corwin needed ...more
Virginia
I enjoy this author's writing and the domestic discipline relationship. This story had a more serious tone to it than others by this author but I appreciated the insight into why people crave this kind of relationship. Mike and Corwin both grew together and in taking a chance on a relationship. These guys meant for each other. Would enjoy more on this couple. Fit the LHNB photo very well. Great title.
Angela
Jan 07, 2016 Angela rated it did not like it
Everything is just wrong with this story. This "brat" has some issues that need professional help to work through. A spanking by a Dom who misses being a brat himself won't do. I felt icky reading this.
Macky ~ Sinfully Gay Romance Book Reviews
4.5* Not normally a subject that pulls me but I really enjoyed this story . I thought Mike and Corwin, who was suitably brattish but still loveable, were a perfect match for each other and I liked that this wasn't all about in your face sex and spanking, the balance was just right. This turned out to be a really nice romance as well. I'll read this again, Loved it.
Serena Yates
Jul 08, 2013 Serena Yates rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay, bdsm-and-d-s
Domestic Discipline, I have to admit, is an area I am not very familiar with. This story does an excellent job at explaining what it means, and how it relates (or doesn’t relate) to BDSM. It's easy to confuse the two if you're not careful, and from previous books I have read, some people aren't very clear about it; or maybe they just have a different point of view.

Mike has just been fired, is drifting a little as he adjusts to the situation, when his friend Terrence asks him for help. Terrence l
Silkeeeeee
I've always loved the picture this book was based on. I liked the story. I think that the author got me hooked with the characters quickly. It made my heart ache just the right amount and resolved the ache at the end of the story. Damn sure made me wish these guys were real AND bi.
Tina
Jul 05, 2013 Tina rated it really liked it
Shelves: lhnb-2013

Nice story with an awesome title - and much more talking than discipline and sex. Mike and Corwin are perfect for each other and I would really love reading more about them. Thanks for the excellent read, J.A. :)
Awilk -never sleeps-
A wonderful little short that packed a full-length novel punch. Domestic discipline is a genre that I enjoy, and would love to read more about this very appealing couple.
Sandra

Offered for FREE from the M/M Romance Group's Love Has No Boundaries event. Thank you too all the amazing authors who participated!

2.5 stars I'm a little surprised by all the rave reviews. This wasn't bad, but I didn't feel much of a connection between the two MC's besides the surface level stuff. Being a 'brat' is fine, but Corwin was flat out immature and childish for much of this book and I had a hard time believing any adult would want to pursue an actual relationship with him. Domestic Disc
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Really enjoyed this one. The recognition of this particular brat was pretty insightful on each person's part. It felt psychological - relating to communication and understanding and I think gave a very good picture of what Domestic Discipline can be. I think folks who don't understand it or have little exposure could read this little gem as a great introduction that really gives you a slice of life - without the fear of the unknown as this is a sub area that people don't quite understand and hav ...more
K
Jun 26, 2013 K rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dritc
LHNB story released 26.6.13
4.5 stars rounded up.
Okay, first off, I make no excuses for the fact that I am a fan of brat-fic, not least because it's the area what's loosely termed "BSDM lifestyle" that I am the most personally familiar with. In this case it made a very nice change for a story to be told from the Top's perspective. When Ter originally arrives at the request of his friend to help with Corwin, a difficult brat who has requested a D/d relationship he thinks he is just going to be adv
Anke
Jun 27, 2013 Anke rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story, slow development, a joy to read. Would love to read a sequel :)
Finn Marlowe
Jun 28, 2013 Finn Marlowe rated it really liked it
Cute story with an awesome title - and more talking than smexxin.
Theresa
Aug 23, 2015 Theresa rated it did not like it
Terrence called in his fellow Dom Mike to help him with Corwin, but I think even Mike wasn't a good match. Terrence wasn't into Domestic Discipline like Mike, but Mike wasn't a structured Dom. Corwin would passive aggressively and deliberately lash out at the family group. He was self mutilating too. Corwin just begged for the security of a more controlled relationship, with cause and effect consequences, to prevent emotional blowups and self mutilation. Corwin needed a lot of structure because ...more
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
Good story...it coulda been a great story tho.

I do enjoy a bratty boy every once in a while, so I found myself wanting to wrap my arms around Cor..hold him and tell him everything would work out. Mike seemed older than his 29 years...It actually read like he was an older gentlemen. I understand the Terrance and other guys in the house position in the story and how the interaction with them and Corwin were needed to show things about Cor but I found myself not really caring about that side of thi
Pamela Su
Jul 15, 2013 Pamela Su rated it really liked it
This turned out to be more relaxed than I expected. The story is a warm and oddly tender tale of a former-brat-turned-Dom-brat-tamer and his wild, impetuous and insecure young man. It amused me that Mike isn't the perfect Dom. He's had some hard knocks in his life recently and is having difficulties adjusting to the changes in his life. He makes some mistakes along the way but I like that about him. Corwin is an adorable brat, but a little more self-aware than I would have expected.

It's not a ho
coflo
May 14, 2015 coflo rated it liked it
3.3 stars. A thorough description of how to tame a brat, which is told in a rather serious and realistic tone, but I prefer something more romantic, or something hotter or funnier.
Kaseka
I wholly believed in Corwin as a character, and in the group dynamics as a whole. I can't stress enough how awesome that is.

This story to me seemed more like a quiet coming-of-age / in-transition narrative on multiple fronts than an erotic romance. That said, the characters in transition (primarily Mike) and coming of age (primarily Corwin) were psychologically rendered so deftly I couldn't be upset when discarding my initial genre expectations.

Mike, in this story, is a former brat. This, couple
Harry
Apr 27, 2014 Harry rated it liked it
This starts with a bang. In one of the first important scenes, we're immediately in Mike's head as he plays trainer? therapist? to Corwin and Terrance. Through Mike, we're able to see and feel what each of the other men is thinking and feeling, and it makes for a nicely tangled emotional web. (view spoiler) ...more
Anjali
Started slow but the story built up as it went further. It was a good read no sex at all, besides the last final scene but the author doesn't let you get bored .
Mike was called at home by Terrence to help him with Corwin who lived with him and his three other friends in a polygynous relation ship .Corwin was acting out and Terrence didn't know what he can do to mend his behaviour,When Terrence asked Corwin about the solution Corwin said he wants Terrence to punish him by spanking him for acting
Sunne
Jul 26, 2013 Sunne added it
Not sure what to say...just that I don't think that books, where a guy acts like a brat because he wants to be disciplined to feel accepted and cared of are probably not my cup of tea.

The writing was good, the characters not stereotyped but as a mother of two kids I only can see the behaviour pattern as something that needs to be interupted by attention, not discipline. While I see tendencies in the story, the whole theme just isn't for me so I don't rate it.
~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~
~ 3 Stars

Looking forward to a nice m/m/m/m and that's not what I got. Ok story about bratty Corwin looking for a Domestic Discipline relationship. A lot was covered in 69 pages and the sex was off-page until the last few pages. Ok.
rameau
Somewhere between two and three stars. It's not a bad story at all, a character study of sorts with a dose of healthy BDSM. There's spanking and discipline, but those aren't really my thing and neither was there anything to elevate this above all the others. I'm tempted to round down due to that ending but I won't.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Jul 03, 2013 Mandy*reads obsessively* marked it as to-read
Recommended to Mandy*reads obsessively* by: Tina
Tina says to read this one, I'm thinking on it, to be honest the 'brat' in the title had me passing right on by, but I'm willing to ignore a major problem I have with that word...maybe. :)
Saphirablue
Apr 23, 2016 Saphirablue rated it it was ok
Annika
I admitt I had to chew on this one and how I feel about it. I do not often read D/s because it's really difficult for me to understand - the punishment and physical pain part that is. I can understand the desire for attention, love and being cared for. It's something I'd think everybody wishes for. I even can understand bratty behavior to force attention if necessary, it's typical behavior of small kids. Where my mind starts scrambling is the desire to get physically punished for misbehavior. Wh ...more
  • As He Watches
  • Nothing's Missing Now
  • Door at the End of Summer
  • Brandon's Laughter
  • An Adventure In Beginnings
  • Playing for Keeps (Unshakable, #1)
  • When You Were Pixels (Syntax #0.1)
  • A.S.H.E.R.
J.A. Rock is the author of queer romance and suspense novels, including BY HIS RULES, TAKE THE LONG WAY HOME, and, with Lisa Henry, THE GOOD BOY and WHEN ALL THE WORLD SLEEPS. She holds an MFA in creative writing from the University of Alabama and a BA in theater from Case Western Reserve University. J.A. also writes queer fiction and essays under the name Jill Smith. Raised in Ohio and West Virgi ...more
More about J.A. Rock...

Don't Read in the Closet Events (1 - 10 of 688 books)
  • Bobby's Christmas Gift
  • A Bugger to Pack
  • Christmas Gifts
  • Christmas in the Sandbox
  • Cocklebur's Christmas
  • The Conquerors (Zero-G wrestling)
  • Crying Wolf (Portals, #2.5)
  • D.N.A.: Double Helix