Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Mental Traps: The Overthinker's Guide to a Happier Life” as Want to Read:
Mental Traps: The Overthinker's Guide to a Happier Life
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Mental Traps: The Overthinker's Guide to a Happier Life

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  335 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Mental Traps is André Kukla’s immensely enjoyable and down-to-earth catalogue of the everyday blunders we make in our thinking habits, how these traps can affect our entire lives, and what we can do about it.

Ever find yourself putting off even relatively minor tasks because of the many other little jobs that you’d have to tackle first? Or spending far too much time worryin
...more
Paperback, 256 pages
Published July 31st 2007 by Anchor Canada (first published September 15th 2006)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Mental Traps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mental Traps

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30 of 1,025)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Madi
Nov 07, 2013 Madi rated it really liked it
A Buddhist saying goes like this: our happiness and our sorrow are both the product of our thoughts and nothing else.

And this is exactly what this book concentrates upon, but with a more pragmatical approach. The question is not about happiness, but rather about the clutter of thoughts that we constantly have, which does not benefit to our mental health (eventually to our emotional state also).

Mental traps are typical to the Western mind and Andre Kukla does a great job at demolishing absurd ta
...more
Fiona Lee
Jun 24, 2013 Fiona Lee rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended for over thinkers, like myself. Identify these mental traps: persistence, amplification, fixation, reversion, anticipation, resistance, procrastination, division, acceleration, regulation and formulation. Solution given to avoid these mental traps. Overall, interesting psychological, self-improvement book.
Rachel Pieters
Sep 17, 2013 Rachel Pieters rated it it was ok
Shelves: borrowed, non-fiction
I actually didn't finish this book, admittedly. It seemed interesting and I got a few chapters in, but then it started to seem confusing and repetitive. I could no longer remember which trap was which as they all sounded similar to each other. I gave up. Great idea and probably some great info in there, but pretty hard to stay in.
Irina Semenova
Интересный взгляд на мысли людей. Стоит того что бы прочитать, но наискосок. Автор мучает читателя бессмысленным повторением одних и тех же мыслей по 5 раз с одними и теми же примерами.
Eleanor Thorel
May 21, 2009 Eleanor Thorel rated it did not like it
I'm afraid I found Andre Kukla perseverating on his own compartments of mental traps and eventually found it a mental trap reading it..
Iren Udovenko
May 26, 2015 Iren Udovenko rated it it was ok
Какая хрень! Поддавшись стадному инстинкту захотелось прочитать "умную" книгу. Нет, тут есть конечно кое-что здравое:

"...Мнения, которые люди составляют о себе самих, имеют свойство самореализующихся пророчеств, а исполнение этих пророчеств, в свою очередь, еще больше укрепляет нас в представлениях, породивших их. Наши формулировки в отношении себя самих и справедливы, и в то же время невероятно обманчивы..." или "... чувство вины неэффективно..." или "... неслучившиеся события попросту не сущес
...more
Ari
Jun 24, 2016 Ari rated it really liked it
"Make you think more consciously"

We use our brain to think all the time without realizing the many needless and effort-wasting mental traps: Persistence, amplification, fixation, reversion, anticipation, resistance, procrastination, division, acceleration, regulation and formulation. Reading this book might not make you think smarter, but definitely more consciously, attentively and alive.
Kaixin
May 14, 2015 Kaixin rated it liked it
Descriptive and well-written about the various traps and how to spot them. However, I feel that the advices on how to overcome these mental traps aren't too practical or useful. To summarise the author's advice in a sentence : "do the right things at the right time and at the right pace"

..How exactly? If correcting for one trap sets the path towards another trap?
Svetlana
Apr 01, 2014 Svetlana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Начали за здравие, кончили за упокой, запутавшись, какая ловушка какая. Автор фактически призывает ничего не осознавать, но в то же время осознавать все свои мыслительные процессы. Взаимоисключающие параграфы, давление на читателя плюс откуда ни возьмись в конце что-то такое про религию. Не годится.
Bronwen
Jun 27, 2012 Bronwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Overthinkers, perfectionists and worriers
I'm giving this a 4 because it's very clever and insightful... but almost in an annoying way. :P By the end of it you feel like you're wandering around overthinking overthinking. It does contain some useful advice but I don't think I could ever follow all of it. Even if you just pick and choose a couple of applicable points that probably would make a noticible improvement to your life though, so if you are an overthinker it is worth reading.

Having said that, the advice is quite difficult to foll
...more
Rodion Krivoshein
Jun 05, 2016 Rodion Krivoshein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
The last chapter is kinda boring and could be skipped.
Otherwise very helpful guide to finding and getting rid of your unnecessary struggles.
Stephanie
Jun 24, 2016 Stephanie rated it liked it
An interesting read. Pretty sure I've got all the traps mentioned. Knowing this is not the same as changing this, but time will tell
Nazar Popov
Jan 10, 2015 Nazar Popov rated it liked it
Можно прочитать будучи студентом. Когда начинаешь работать к выводам приведенным в книге приходишь сам.
Konstantin Antypenko
Jan 05, 2015 Konstantin Antypenko rated it it was amazing
Really liked a book when it was first read few years ago. Returned to it several times
Ryan
Oct 10, 2012 Ryan rated it liked it
It was ok. I think the last third of the book was the most interesting/useful. It really should have been called 'the evolutionary path of a mental trap' because that's really what it is looking at the contents at a high level.

Everyone suffers from a configuration of the mental trap described in the book- and while it does a good job describing it, it does a poor job addressing the reality that modern life promotes all of these bad habits - im sure the author could label that reasoning with a m
...more
Romualds
Feb 28, 2015 Romualds rated it really liked it
it's not an action plan. the book makes you think of mental processes and their impact on your life and emotions.
Richard
Jun 29, 2014 Richard rated it liked it
Difficult read, you might say trying to stick with this and finish it was a mental trap. No real solution for over thinkers presented other than counting your breaths and trying to clear your thoughts.
Javier
Mar 01, 2016 Javier rated it really liked it
Great book on how our thinking is our greatest obstacle.
Anastasia
Jan 04, 2015 Anastasia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves, audio-books
The content of this book is drawn from many sources, including philosophy, psychology, religion, science, and most importantly, the self. This book will knock you on the head to wake you up from ignorance. Ignorance of your own thoughts, which makes you less productive and redundant. It has a potential to change lives radically. a MUST read.
Nikki
Mar 09, 2016 Nikki rated it it was ok
Too repetitive … the book was a mental trap in itself
Kavita Ramesh
Nov 26, 2015 Kavita Ramesh rated it really liked it
As an over-thinker myself, I found this book helped me in many ways. I liked that it based its conclusions on science and not opinions. (The part about suicide especially was very enlightening.) I plan to reread it one of these days.
Kim
Oct 22, 2009 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub
I don't think I'm an overthinker, really.

And I would have organized the book into chapters that presented the problem, then the proposed solution, rather than describing all the problems and having one "solution" chapter at the end.
Sergey Nadolskiy
Такая себе книженция. Не фонтан, но брызги есть. Очень много очевидной, ненужной и лишней информации. Были моменты, когда было действительно интересно, но в основном ниже среднего.
Ruzz
Jun 10, 2008 Ruzz rated it it was amazing
Erudite and deeply pragmatic, but ultimately a polemic on thought waste and like all polemics--ie. the bible--only usable in small bites, or fragments.

well worth the read regardless.
Clint
Nov 15, 2012 Clint rated it liked it
Interesting observations about the games we play in our minds. I enjoyed the insight, but it was too much description and not enough answers as to how to cope.
Lostaccount Darkpool
The problem with this book is that it ends up being its own mental trap. The writer really belaboured the point too much towards the end and ruined it.
Kirill
Apr 10, 2012 Kirill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Слишком занудно и очевидно. Как классификация "тараканов" наверное потянет, но особой полезности не увидел в этой книге.
Eugene White
Dec 04, 2015 Eugene White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cool.
I recomended this book for people who lose their focus too often, or have a lot of attention span.
Nicholle Blaine
Sep 27, 2012 Nicholle Blaine rated it liked it
This was short. I should probably be reading my adolescent psych assignment but I do not want to.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 34 35 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Fire Your Boss
  • Find Your Focus Zone: An Effective New Plan to Defeat Distraction and Overload
  • Mindfulness and Acceptance: Expanding the Cognitive-Behavioral Tradition
  • Your Best Life Now for Moms
  • Conquering Fear: Living Boldly in an Uncertain World
  • The Cure for Anything Is Salt Water: How I Threw My Life Overboard and Found Happiness at Sea
  • Taking Charge of Adult ADHD
  • The 100 Simple Secrets of Happy People: What Scientists Have Learned and How You Can Use It
  • NLP: The New Technology of Achievement
  • Zen and the Art of Making a Living: A Practical Guide to Creative Career Design
  • The Book of Pook
  • inGenius: A Crash Course on Creativity
  • How: Why How We Do Anything Means Everything...in Business (and in Life)
  • The Middle Way: Faith Grounded in Reason
  • Think!: Before It's Too Late
  • Life Is What You Make It: Find Your Own Path to Fulfillment
  • Your Money: The Missing Manual
  • Creative Mind and Success

Share This Book