Start by marking “Inside Moves” as Want to Read:
Inside Moves

Todd Walton

Inside Moves

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Jerry Maxwell and his good friend Roary are both handicapped. They divide their time between Max's bar in San Francisco and the bleachers of the Oakland Sports Complex to cheer on the Golden State Warriors. After a failed suicide attempt leaves a man named Roary partially crippled, he finds himself living in a run-down house in Oakland, California. He spends a lot of time ...more
Paperback
Published December 16th 1980 by Signet (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Inside Moves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside Moves

Jack Cheng
This might be the best work of fiction I've read in years.

Roary tells the story of his friend Jerry, whom he knows from Max's bar, where cripples hang out. Roary idolizes Jerry and Jerry needs Roary to give him confidence when he needs it most. There's also basketball, druggie whores, an actress with a heart of gold (and a limp), a rich widow, Sport Illustrated, the Celtics, ballet and more.

Mostly, though, it's the story of a friendship, told so well from one point of view. The book will break
Christine
On my own, I'd probably never have chosen a book set in 1970's San Francisco, about a group of guys with disabilities who hang out at the same bar all the time, and end up befriending a pro basketball player, but now I wonder why that didn't sound interesting to me at first! I'm really glad someone in my book club chose this for us. It's a charming little gem of a book, and everyone in the club—even those who have zero interest in sports—liked it a lot.
Milo King
This is another of the four books recently published by Dark Horse in their Pharos Editions. (You can see my description of a Seattle Town Hall event I attended that describes the Pharos editions - new printings of worthy out-of-print works - and the Washington State writers who recommended them at my previous review of Land of Plenty at http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...)

Sherman Alexie recommended Inside Moves and wrote the introduction to this edition. He spoke quite eloquently at the To
Steve
amazon has republished this as part of their new Pharos series of unrecognized fine novels. It is a nice sports novel to read. Set mostly in a dive bar in San Francisco's Inner Sunset neighborhood, peopled by injured VN vets. Walton's career after this first novel is just as interesting - a handful of unsuccessful novels, books on creative writing and books on yoga and Buddhism, and even some music CD's have filled out his resume.

The basketball is rather unbelievable, but just a little over the
Paul Dinger
Actually this is a re read for me. I read this my first year of college because...I couldn't see the movie. It wasn't playing locally. I bought the book, devoured it, and while I still think it is a great book (even though I don't understand the ending)I can even see why I enjoyed it so much then, even more than the movie which too was enjoyable. Walton has a very crisp economical writing style which is Hemingwayesque, but still somewhat original. He can pack a lot into a few pages. He can use d ...more
Chris Williams
Fun book. Great characters and sense of place with a smart appreciation of basketball.
Beata Bowen
A lovely, unpretencious, straight-forward, clean read. I'd never had picked it up on my own (it's about guys, guy friendships, and basketball and physical limitations), but it was a book club choice. This is why I love book club! I often read books that turn out very enjoyable, but not ones I'd normally gravitate to.
Leslie kuris
This book has great characters and a good story. It is definately 3++. A new Pharo edition of an out of print book recommended by Sherman Alexie.
Wendy Eley
Wendy Eley marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Jie Ying
Jie Ying marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Mary-Ann
Mary-Ann marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Shane
Shane marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Arnie Shunneson
Arnie Shunneson marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Tashaz
Tashaz marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Buddha in a Teacup: Tales of Enlightenment The Writer's Path: A Guidebook for Your Creative Journey : Exercises, Essays, and Examples Under the Table Books Ruby & Spear Open Body: Creating Your