Start by marking “Inside Moves” as Want to Read:
Inside Moves

Todd Walton

Inside Moves

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  35 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Jerry Maxwell and his good friend Roary are both handicapped. They divide their time between Max's bar in San Francisco and the bleachers of the Oakland Sports Complex to cheer on the Golden State Warriors. After a failed suicide attempt leaves a man named Roary partially crippled, he finds himself living in a run-down house in Oakland, California. He spends a lot of time ...more
Paperback
Published December 16th 1980 by Signet (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Inside Moves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside Moves

Jack Cheng
Jul 12, 2012 Jack Cheng rated it it was amazing
This might be the best work of fiction I've read in years.

Roary tells the story of his friend Jerry, whom he knows from Max's bar, where cripples hang out. Roary idolizes Jerry and Jerry needs Roary to give him confidence when he needs it most. There's also basketball, druggie whores, an actress with a heart of gold (and a limp), a rich widow, Sport Illustrated, the Celtics, ballet and more.

Mostly, though, it's the story of a friendship, told so well from one point of view. The book will break
Christine
On my own, I'd probably never have chosen a book set in 1970's San Francisco, about a group of guys with disabilities who hang out at the same bar all the time, and end up befriending a pro basketball player, but now I wonder why that didn't sound interesting to me at first! I'm really glad someone in my book club chose this for us. It's a charming little gem of a book, and everyone in the club—even those who have zero interest in sports—liked it a lot.
Milo King
This is another of the four books recently published by Dark Horse in their Pharos Editions. (You can see my description of a Seattle Town Hall event I attended that describes the Pharos editions - new printings of worthy out-of-print works - and the Washington State writers who recommended them at my previous review of Land of Plenty at http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...)

Sherman Alexie recommended Inside Moves and wrote the introduction to this edition. He spoke quite eloquently at the To
Steve
Aug 15, 2013 Steve rated it liked it
amazon has republished this as part of their new Pharos series of unrecognized fine novels. It is a nice sports novel to read. Set mostly in a dive bar in San Francisco's Inner Sunset neighborhood, peopled by injured VN vets. Walton's career after this first novel is just as interesting - a handful of unsuccessful novels, books on creative writing and books on yoga and Buddhism, and even some music CD's have filled out his resume.

The basketball is rather unbelievable, but just a little over the
Paul Dinger
Jan 19, 2014 Paul Dinger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually this is a re read for me. I read this my first year of college because...I couldn't see the movie. It wasn't playing locally. I bought the book, devoured it, and while I still think it is a great book (even though I don't understand the ending)I can even see why I enjoyed it so much then, even more than the movie which too was enjoyable. Walton has a very crisp economical writing style which is Hemingwayesque, but still somewhat original. He can pack a lot into a few pages. He can use d ...more
Chris Williams
Jun 22, 2014 Chris Williams rated it really liked it
Fun book. Great characters and sense of place with a smart appreciation of basketball.
Beata Bowen
Mar 27, 2014 Beata Bowen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, book-club, 2014
A lovely, unpretencious, straight-forward, clean read. I'd never had picked it up on my own (it's about guys, guy friendships, and basketball and physical limitations), but it was a book club choice. This is why I love book club! I often read books that turn out very enjoyable, but not ones I'd normally gravitate to.
Leslie kuris
Jul 23, 2013 Leslie kuris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has great characters and a good story. It is definately 3++. A new Pharo edition of an out of print book recommended by Sherman Alexie.
Vicki Oleskey
Vicki Oleskey rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Lynn Griffin
Lynn Griffin rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2015
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Bsegedin
Bsegedin marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Andrea
Andrea rated it did not like it
Jun 01, 2015
Dee Dee
Dee Dee rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2015
Wendy Eley
Wendy Eley marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Josh Sexton
Josh Sexton rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2015
Jie Ying
Jie Ying marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Kalani
Kalani rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2015
John Dimoia
John Dimoia rated it it was ok
Feb 19, 2015
Mary-Ann
Mary-Ann marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Shane
Shane marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Mac
Mac rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2014
Ken French
Ken French rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2014
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2015
Nobis
Nobis rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2014
Geoff Day
Geoff Day rated it liked it
May 28, 2014
Jmckay
Jmckay rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2015