Start by marking “The Legend of Buddy Hero (The Defenders Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Legend of Buddy Hero (The Defenders Saga, #1)
Preview

The Legend of Buddy Hero (The Defenders Saga #1)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Buddy Jackson is the world's greatest superhero. He just doesn't know it. He's unemployed, a drunk, and has a tendency to go weeks without showering; yet Buddy Jackson may be the only person capable of saving the world from total destruction.

Once convinced to leave the comfort of his bar stool, Buddy battles tentacled bug-monsters, finds himself on the run from shadowy go
Paperback, Official Release Edition, 284 pages
Published April 1st 2013 by Createspace (first published August 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of Buddy Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legend of Buddy Hero

Night Owl by M. PierceReal by Katy EvansSlammed by Colleen HooverGabriel's Inferno by Sylvain ReynardBeautiful Bastard by Christina Lauren
Best First Book by New Author
479th out of 1,397 books — 3,108 voters
Steelheart by Brandon SandersonMarrow by Preston NortonVicious by V.E. SchwabWearing the Cape by Marion G. HarmonYoung Sentinels by Marion G. Harmon
Capepunk
11th out of 37 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Claire Riley
This book had my laughing out loud in several places. It reminded me of the old school comic books that I used to read. Witty, with a dry sense of humour, and at times very tongue on cheek about it all.

Buddy is a superhero--he just doesn't know it yet. His world is turned upside down when his past catches back up to him and he discovers that he might be the worlds only chance of survival...if he can remember who he once was that is.

There's something quite charming about this book, perhaps it's j
Ken Mooney
Adam Oster takes the tropes and archetypes of a superhero world and firmly makes them his own in The Legend Of Buddy Hero, creating a world full of characters who deserve to stand alongside DC and Marvel.

Oster's take provides a unique and refreshing look at an origin story...that isn't an origin story; a re-origin, if you will. It's an interesting place to start, and as the novel opens up, the intricacies of Oster's world become more pronounced. The Legend Of Buddy Hero has them all: superpowers
Laura Emmons
Buddy Jackson, in THE LEGEND OF BUDDY HERO, was instantly endearing to me since he also has “a long-standing feud with mornings.” The hapless protagonist isn’t the only person who drinks to forget. What Buddy has forgotten might just kill him, that is, it would if he wasn’t indestructible.

Buddy is a meta-human and a former superhero, but a world-wide mind-swipe has left everyone unaware of his true character, especially Buddy. When his ultimate nemesis returns from oblivion, Buddy starts to cha
Eric Lahti
I've always loved superheroes. To most people who know me this will come as no surprise. In fact, I think blinding flash of obvious would probably be an apt descriptor. While my friends were learning, you know "facts", and getting "useful knowledge," I was reading Mad Magazine. While they were studying to be better people I was learning about the heroes who saved the Earth again and again.

Yeah. Who's laughing now, suckers?

So, with that in mind it really should come as no surprise that I enjoyed
J.
I’m a sucker for humorous super-hero stories. I never tire of the endless fun that can be had at the expense of Good and Evil, death-defying battles and powers mortal man can only dream of.

Buddy Jackson is what you get when you have government that’s sick of cleaning up after the mess super-heroes make. His success and achievements taken from him, Buddy turns to alcohol, gains weight, stops showering and becomes the last person anyone would ask for help. When comic-book style villains appear, co
Liz Wilkins
Thank you to the author for the copy of this book to review.

Well what a lot of fun this one was! Cleverly written and quirky, Buddy is a wonderful creation and a great person to travel along with for a while...

Everything you need for a SuperHero origin story
Karen Perkins
Quirky, funny and addictive: Adam Oster has introduced me to a new type of fictional hero, effortlessly combing the depths of human nature along with the peaks; the disgust of human depravity with the honour and pride of altruism and fighting for what's right.

We are introduced to Buddy as a no-hope drunk – his only saving grace and hold on humanity is his sister Maggie. She's the one who will take him in, dust him off and get him back on his feet – his very own guardian angel.

He wakes one mornin
Mark Cain
In the 1960s, Marvel introduced the concept of "the superhero with problems." DC embraced the notion, and comic books were changed forever.

In The Legend of Buddy Hero, Oster takes this notion even farther. We have a superhero who is a drunkard. What's more, he doesn't even know he's a superhero.

Buddy Hero is chock-full of interesting characters, from Buddy's sister to his sidekick to his nemesis. And they are real, not cartoon cutouts, but finely drawn individuals. I think it's the characters in
Craig Sieracki
The Legend of Buddy Hero was a quick and fun read. It has excellent pacing and is reminiscent of the comics I read in the 90's. If I have any constructive criticism it would be that the climax felt rushed. I did like the ending cliffhanger, and I am looking forward to the release of the second book in the series.
Scott Butcher
I enjoyed Buddy Hero. I thought the opening was very innovative, and the character of Buddy Andrews was extremely well portrayed, a man's man. Dare I say, Dude's Lit? Several chapters in, there is a change in the book that takes it to a more traditional super hero type novel, super hero fans will love it. I wanted more of the beginning of the book, but it reappeared later in the novel as the climax beckons. I thought the action at the end and the eventual resolution came together in a not so pre ...more
Angelika Rust
This is an easy, flowing read with one of the most likable sets of characters I've ever come across. From the reluctant anti-hero Buddy to the mastermind's petty, jealous son, each character is clearly defined, complete with their own speech pattern and choice of vocabulary. It's definitely not your typical superhero story, naturally, in that it features the most unlikely hero imaginable, but it still never quite crosses into the satire section. A fun read, it's nevertheless a serious book. I'm ...more
Chris Bostic
Brilliantly funny! The novel is laced with humor throughout, particularly the sarcastic kind. Not only was the storyline an interesting throwback to the comic book superheroes and legendary bad guys, Oster put a completely new and hilarious spin on the unlikely hero genre. Following a mind wipe and untold beers (with a gut to match), unlikely hero Buddy saves the world with the help of three other terrificly defined characters and my personal favorite, D.A.W.N.

You will cheer them along, laughin
Brandt Anderson
First book I got as a giveaway. It's an ok book. I couldn't say there was anything bad or wrong about it. I also couldn't say that the book had any strengths. The book is not that descriptive in both a physical sense and a mental one. So it is hard to picture how the characters look like and how they are feeling. There is a lot that is unsaid about the history of this superhero world. So for me . . . it's an easy 2 hour read. Nothing more, nothing less.
I really enjoyed this book. Absolutely not the type of book I would normally read however I am really looking forward to the next Buddy Hero story. Fun and absorbing. Great characters I could relate to and want to see more of. Thank you Adam, your book made me smile.
San
As a comic book geek and someone who enjoyed the sense of humour in this book. I couldn't recommend it more highly. Very much my kind of book!
Janet Shaw carey
Fun, quick read. My only complaint would be with the physical weight of the thing! Cover and pages too thick to read comfortably .
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Sweetpea
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Iain
Iain added it
Apr 11, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Bev
Bev marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Beverly
Beverly marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Anissa
Anissa marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Eero Piilokivi
Eero Piilokivi marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Dead Drunk: Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse. One Beer at a Time
  • Odium II
  • Blood Echo
  • Dead Vampires Don't Date (Kate Storm, #1)
  • Sea of Dreams (Sea of Dreams, #1)
  • The Underlighters
  • The Secret
  • Chasing Spirits - The Memoirs of Reginald Weldon
  • Taming Shadows (Revelations #1)
  • Girl in The Glass
  • Stage Fright
  • Genevieve: A Witchblood Novelette (Witchblood, #3.5)
  • Moments in Time
  • Tyrant Trouble
  • Law of the Wolf (The Outlaw King, #2)
  • Paranormal Anthology with a TWIST
  • Good Side of Sin (Save My Soul, #3)
  • The Darkness of Shadows
Adam Oster hates writing bios. If you ever find him working on an auto-biography, you'll know he's finally been taken over by some sort of memoir-loving group of pod people.

That being said...here's a little bit of information about him.

Originally hailing from Columbia, SC, Adam lives in Eau Claire, Wisconsin with his gorgeous wife and three adorable kids. He spends a lot of his time trying to figu
More about Adam Oster...

The Defenders Saga (2 books)
  • The Rise of the Fat Mogul (The Defenders Saga, #2)
The Agora Files Daddy of the Dead The Rise of the Fat Mogul (The Defenders Saga, #2) Dominion of Evil (The Defenders Saga, #0.5) The Long Chron