Start by marking “Black Butler, Vol. 16 (Black Butler, #16)” as Want to Read:
Black Butler, Vol. 16 (Black Butler, #16)

Black Butler, Vol. 16 (黒執事 [Kuroshitsuji - Black Butler] #16)

4.37  ·  Rating Details ·  2,419 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
Earl Ciel Phantomhive and his invincible butler Sebastian may have succeeded in sneaking their way into the elite Weston College, but their investigation quickly hits a wall. To earn an audience with the headmaster, Ciel's only option is to attend the "Midnight Tea Party," an exclusive gathering hosted by the elusive head of the school. And the only way a lowly first-forme ...more
Published January 21st 2014 by Yen Press (first published March 27th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Black Butler, Vol. 16, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Butler, Vol. 16

Yue
Is it me, or this arc is similar to Harry Potter? Specially in this volume, it was like reliving the Triwizard Tournament + Quidditch. Rivalry between houses, sports... Even that memory of Ciel's ancestor was like James Potter and Snape.

A positive aspect is that almost all characters are here: the Phantomhive servants (including Tanaka), Lao and his sister, Viscount de Druitt, Soma... The negative aspect is that there are barely Sebastian scenes. A good volume, but not that engaging as the previ
Karissa
Mar 04, 2016 Karissa rated it really liked it
This is the 16th volume in the Black Butler series. It was well done but not my favorite of the series.

Ciel and Sebastian have infiltrated Westen College and are trying to figure out the cause behind the mysterious disappearance of some of the students there. However the Headmaster seems to be key in these disappearances and the only way for Ciel to get a meeting with him is to attend the mysterious Midnight Tea Party. Only the most prestigious of students are allowed to attend the Midnight Tea
Yvensong
First Reading: 2014-12-27 --- 3 Stars

Ciel and Sebastian are still attempting to find out what happened to some missing students. It appears the only way that Ciel might be able to find out what is going on is to meet up with the elusive Headmaster, but the only way Ciel may be able to do so is to become the Most Valuable Player in a cricket match.

Lots of humor and some tense scenes fill this volume. The only complaint I have is that in a few panels the dialogue was printed so small that I could
Fatemeh
Jul 20, 2016 Fatemeh rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
سیل نشانه هایی از هوش نشون می ده! تعجبی نیست که سباستین براش احترام قائله.
آرک مدرسه هنوز تموم نشده، ولی از اون مهم تر...
الان کاملا درک می کنم چرا مادام رد عاشق وینسنت بوده :|
جدا، وینسنت یا واقعا انقدر فوق العاده بوده که بدون باتلر شیطانی از پس همه این کار ها برمیومده و یا... اونم با یه شیطان قرار داد داشته؟! فکر کنم دارم زیادی دقیق میشم توش، ولی بعید هم نیست با توجه به اینکه وینسنت ظاهرا زیادی پرفکت بوده توی همه چی.

+ برادر الیزابت (ادوارد) چقدر خوبه T_T اصلا فکر نمی کردم انقدر آدم با شعور و شرا
Apple12350
Nov 25, 2014 Apple12350 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Loved this volume! Some were really funny and interesting to read. Especially the part about Elizabeth's brother and how he respects everyone and try to be just like them.

description

I can't wait to find out who the principle is and if (killing) finding him will indeed solve everything.
Holly Fetter
Mar 18, 2014 Holly Fetter rated it it was amazing
I'm okay with the Harry Potter/ cricket arc. I needed a story line that was a little 'calmer' than the last arc with the zombies/Titanic/Undertaker. I thought too much was going on in that story line. This issue dragged a bit, but Soma was truly awesome. I'm glad to see that he finally has some skills and not just an annoying prince. Respect. Overall, nicely done.
LaikyReads
Jun 17, 2017 LaikyReads rated it it was amazing
I just adore this series <3
Gabriela Paige
Mar 12, 2017 Gabriela Paige rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
ACK! No, you guys have to win! I really want to know who this principal is, I feel like he's going to be someone I know...
Judy (Geeky Reading)
Oct 27, 2013 Judy (Geeky Reading) rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
~4/5

[Read more at my blog, Geeky Reading!]

This school arch feels different from the previous storylines. I’m not sure why. I think it might be because we’re getting so much Ciel. Ciel is one of the main characters and always has been, but I think previously there was more focus on Sebastian. But now Ciel is taking the lead, interacting with a lot of other people his age, deciding what to do and doing it himself, and commanding Sebastian only when he can't do something himself.

Being at school fee
Tamara
Apr 27, 2014 Tamara rated it liked it
This volume started off with so much promise. Again we got to see Ciel play dirty, all while being incredibly shrewd about the whole thing. We finally get to see Ciel and Sebastian start making some headway on discovering Derrick's whereabouts or even what has happened to him. The build up of the mystery to the missing boys is getting quite good and suddenly the volume tappers off into one of the longest, drawn out, and incredibly boring plots ever. A cricket game. The four houses are having a c ...more
Martine
Mar 22, 2014 Martine rated it really liked it
Shelves: mangas
Still not convinced when it comes to the school setting. In a microcosmos like this, the fact that there are some things off would be palpabe in the atmosphere, but there is... nothing. And I don't get why, because Yana Toboso did a great job with the Circus arc, which was following a similar pattern.
The new characters seem kind of flat, the only thing that really got me hooked for a short while was Vincent and Diederich, because they actually had chemistry.
(The 'make out of punch each other in
Anna Kļaviņa
Black Butler, Vol. 16, ch. 73-77

This was a very boring volume. It started good: Ciel burned a house, Ciel and Sebastian discovered that Derrick isn't in the Purple house, the Viscount of Druitt is back and we saw Vincent Phantomhive (Ciel's daddy) in a flashback. And in the lasts chapters guys played cricket. Not so interesting.
Mal
Sep 21, 2014 Mal rated it it was amazing
*o*
Sylvia
Creí que esta aventura había empezado algo lenta, pero este tomo me fascinó!!!
Y salió el Vizconde Druitt ♥ jajajaja
¡Me encantó la última página! Esa transformación de Sebastián...
Vendea
Prince Soma ♥
Eugenia Argerami
Jun 23, 2017 Eugenia Argerami rated it really liked it
Random thoughts of mine:
(view spoiler)
Magical_Bookworm
Jul 19, 2017 Magical_Bookworm rated it really liked it
Even though I got confused with cricket I still enjoyed it. Due to it being fast paced and very interesting. I just love how Ciel is following in his dad's footsteps. I can't wait to pick up the next volume in this series.
Makenzie
May 31, 2017 Makenzie rated it it was amazing
This volume seriously gave me Harry Potter vibes!Especially how the school is divided into 4 houses, the house is chosen for the student and the game of cricket reminded me a bit of quiddich. Can i also say how much Agni makes me laugh? He's probably one of my favorites!
Killer of Dreams
Mar 22, 2017 Killer of Dreams rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
The continuation of this public school arc is mundane. I just have no words for it. Few new information on certain characters is displayed (Edward mainly).
Marguerite
Mar 20, 2017 Marguerite rated it liked it
3 Stars.

Haha, this cricket match is just the funniest thing! Ciel really wants to win!! Looking forward to reading how this story arc ends in the next volume.
Helen Ramon
Mar 20, 2017 Helen Ramon rated it it was amazing
Always better than the last one!
Ilay
Mar 12, 2017 Ilay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, e-book
Natalie
Feb 28, 2017 Natalie rated it really liked it
I actually FIST PUMPED when Ciel resigned himself to bringing in Prince Soma into their plans and join them at the boarding school.
Joti
Jun 06, 2016 Joti rated it it was amazing
The Cannibal
Nov 17, 2013 The Cannibal rated it liked it
L’école de sorcellerie de Poudlard avait 4 maisons qui s’affrontaient au Quidditch, le Weston College a 4 dortoirs qui s’affronteront au criquet !

Le jeune Ciel a compris qu’il se tramait un truc louche avec les disparitions de certains élèves, transférés – sois-disant – à la "Purple House".

Hors, vu que les relations entre les 4 maisons qui composent le collège sont souvent orageuses, on peut en déduire que les transferts d’élèves entre les maisons sont inhabituels, étranges et hautement suspect.
Cornerofmadness
Leila Anani
This 16th volume continues Ciel's infiltration of a public boys school to uncover the fate of some missing pupils. The plot centres around a house cricket match which enables the winner to meet the mysterious and so far unseen headmaster. Now I hate cricket and this volume focuses on one match and gives a lengthy... but surprisingly understandable explanation of the rules and terminology. Hats off to Yana Toboso for making something about the most confusing game ever that I actually managed to e ...more
Heather
Aug 26, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it
This installment of Black Butler was hilarious! I was laughing though a good majority of the book, and couldn't stop reading! This book also had a good deal of mystery to it and you were left wondering what would happen next in the investigation.
In the first part of the book, Ciel and Sebastian are trying to find out what happened to the 5 students (one of whom is a blood relative of the Queen) who are refusing to contact their families or go home. Ciel and Sebastian have to jump through quite a
Noel
Sep 12, 2013 Noel rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
This volume of Black Butler, much like the one before it, is one of those “in progress” volumes that is working up to a particular end. This one basically sums up the majority (thought not all) of the cricket tournament between the school houses, and Ciel’s attempt to be noticed by the school president (with the intention of being invited to the Midnight Tea Party).

In the midst of all this, we learn some interesting things. One of the most amusing is about Ciel’s father, who was a Very Manipulat
Lanie
Omg. Just look at that cover. Absolutely stunning. This volume truly showcases the artist's talents with character design. Those outfits! So gorgeous.

Not much of a sports person, but "black butler has manges to take a sport I've never watched or cared about utterly fascinating. It's definitely not the strongest or darkest arch of the series, but it's filled with enough humor and just enough mystery and drama that it's still plenty enjoyable.

Watching Prince Soma (my favorite second character) sh
  • The Betrayal Knows My Name, Volume 02
  • The Wallflower, Vol. 13 (The Wallflower, #13)
  • Pandora Hearts, Volume 6
  • Karneval, Vol. 4 (Karneval, #4)
  • 妖狐×僕SS [Inu x Boku Secret Service] 04
  • ノラガミ 5 [Noragami 5] (Noragami: Stray God, #5)
Yana Toboso (枢 やな Toboso Yana) is a female Japanese manga artist born in Warabi, Saitama Prefecture, Japan and currently resides in Yokohama. She is best known for Black Butler (黒執事 Kuroshitsuji), a popular shonen manga series.

She has also written yaoi under the pen name Yanao Rock (簗緒ろく).

Appearance
Yana Toboso draws herself as a devil with a black body and horns, a white head, and a pointed tail.
More about Yana Toboso...

黒執事 [Kuroshitsuji - Black Butler] (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 1 (Black Butler, #1)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 2 (Black Butler, #2)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 3 (Black Butler, #3)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 4 (Black Butler, #4)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 5 (Black Butler, #5)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 6 (Black Butler, #6)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 7 (Black Butler, #7)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 8 (Black Butler, #8)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 9 (Black Butler, #9)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 10 (Black Butler, #10)