Start by marking “Uganda Be Kidding Me” as Want to Read:

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,701 Ratings  ·  1,060 Reviews
Wherever Chelsea Handler travels, one thing is certain: she always ends up in the land of the ridiculous. Now, in this uproarious collection, she sneaks her sharp wit through airport security and delivers her most absurd and hilarious stories ever.

On safari in Africa, it's anyone's guess as to what's more dangerous: the wildlife or Chelsea. But whether she's fumbling the s
Published March 4th 2014 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2014)

Bossypants by Tina FeyIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy KalingLet's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny  LawsonYes Please by Amy PoehlerAre You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler
Funny Women Memoirs
76th out of 251 books — 1,048 voters
Conjuring Darkness by Melanie  JamesA Deadly Obsession by Melanie  JamesLegal Briefs by N.M. SilberSeptember Again by Hunter S. JonesOut of the Box Regifted by Jennifer Theriot
2014 Reads You Don't Want To Miss
306th out of 982 books — 1,395 voters

More lists with this book...

Darth J
Dec 30, 2014 Darth J rated it it was ok
Oh Chelsea, you've lost your touch.

I've enjoyed her previous books because they were anecdotes. Half of this book is dedicated to her trip to Africa where she and her gaggle of lady friends act like the worst kind of American tourists, whether it be braying idiotically or drunkenly pawing at her tour guide (who was not interested). The book felt forced, like she couldn't really enjoy this trip because she was too worried about making a snappy comeback for the sake of her audience.

After she gets
Naomi
Mar 15, 2014 Naomi rated it did not like it
I don't get it. I think I am missing something. After falling in love (and still quoting) Chelsea's dynamic book Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea, I read everything that I could get my hands on by this author. But this book was like the clap, it went painfully on and on with no sense of sense. It was like pulling teeth to continue to read this book. What I can't figure out for me is that I wasn't reading it for review. I could have stopped reading the book. Alas, I knew that humor had to b ...more
Katy Jane
Mar 04, 2014 Katy Jane rated it it was amazing
1. I loved that the pictures were in color. That doesn't happen very often in books.
2. I love Chelsea's schizophrenic brain. Her stories don't seem like they are going anywhere and, to be honest, I don't really care. She's so funny that she would write the book in crayon and I'd still find in hilarious. But then the stories do make sense somehow when she's finished.
3. She commented on how bad she hates poor grammar and there were like 5 typos in the book.
4. I laughed so hard at her just adding
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

ARC from NetGalley. Thank you NetGalley!!!!!

3.5 Stars

First, let me take care of a little bidness. Introducing my new guest blogger – Frank Engator. He likah da funny books and just laughed and laughed while reading his first selection by Chelsea Handler.

Now, on to the review . . .

If it weren’t for the fact that seeing her on television or hearing her voice makes me want to stab her in the face, Chelsea Handler would probably be at th
Shane
Mar 07, 2014 Shane rated it it was ok
This type of shallowness and self-indulgence requires more depth and less self-indulgence to pull it off more successfully (e.g.: "French and Saunders" or "Absolutely Fabulous"), but there's a few laughs along the way.
Rossy
Jan 14, 2015 Rossy rated it did not like it
Shelves: one-star
exhausting.
Denise Lamoreaux
Mar 24, 2014 Denise Lamoreaux rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! I've read some articles from people who think Chelsea is crude and unimaginative. Maybe it's just me, but I find her hilarious. Chelsea books may be a guilty pleasure but they're definitely a reprieve from day to day life and I cannot help but giggle out loud every time I read one-- Uganda Be Kidding Me was no exception.
Theresa
Mar 22, 2014 Theresa rated it really liked it
Seriously, is Chelsea Handler the worst person on the planet, or does she exist simply to make you feel better about yourself? Or is she simply a successful comedian. Or a little of all of the above.
Leonel
Jun 22, 2014 Leonel rated it it was ok
I recently got tickets to Chelsea Handler's comedy tour, which she was doing to promote her new book, Uganda Be Kidding Me. I soured on her because she made the crowd wait an hour and twenty minutes before coming on (who does she think she is, Madonna?) and I actually left early and didn't finish the show. So I was curious to find if the book is as irritating as her act. Well, it is. The book is mostly structured on her recent travels. Half of it is from her South African Safari trip. Interestin ...more
Georgette
Mar 11, 2014 Georgette rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
I have read all of Chelsea's books. I tried, and failed, to finish the one before this one that her friends wrote about her. It just wasn't funny. Nothing against the friends, but maybe the only person who can tell the world about Chelsea is- Chelsea.
In this case, she tells us of her travel (mis)adventures.
You have the usual bitchiness and the usual suspects in her traveling companions. You have some unique adventures.
So what unsettled me?
Not so much unsettled as bored. She writes about tryin
Jan 26, 2015 Laura rated it did not like it
I've seen clips of Handler, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a full episode of her show. I knew she was a bit abrasive and vulgar, but this book was over the top. She manages to insult pretty much every group of people ever and doesn't come off as very likable for most of the book. I enjoyed the last chapter about her friendship with Whitney Cummings, but that was about it.
Received from netgalley.
Kristen Noel
Mar 09, 2014 Kristen Noel rated it it was amazing
After reading Uganda Be Kidding Me, my new mission in life is to get white girl wasted with Chelsea Handler in South Africa while watching stampeding elephants. It's been such a long time since I laughed this hard at a book. I even snorted. Chelsea brings back her perverted and saturated with alcohol humor in her latest book that gives us a peek into traveling her way.

I'll admit that I'm not usually one for non-fiction unless it's a really well written memoir, and Chelsea Handler delivers. The
Megan Wheat
Mar 09, 2014 Megan Wheat rated it did not like it
It was one long run on story that would never end
Shannon

The Characters:

Chelsea Handler and a host of friends, family and random people me while traveling.

The Story:

Chelsea is crazy and I mean that in the best way possible. I am unsure how much of these stories are fabrication and how much is truth but I honestly doubt even Chelsea knows. Her alcohol laden tales are a delight to listen to.

I’d love to travel with her one day.

The Random Thoughts:

4 Stars
Dana
May 10, 2014 Dana rated it it was amazing
This is probably one of Chelsea Handler's best. This book is so funny and true and heartfelt that I have gained a lot of respect for her, on top of a brimming bowl of respect, that she can be so honest. Everyone, who has a sense of humor and is not easily offended, should read this book.
Natalie (Natflix&Books)
2.5

Fairly entertaining and a pretty quick read, but something about Chelsea Handler just rubs me the wrong way even though I do want to like her. Full review to follow...probably.
Natalie
Mar 27, 2014 Natalie rated it really liked it
I can always rely on Chelsea Handler to write a book that makes me laugh out loud. Her stories of travel with her friends made me feel like I was with them. A big fan!
SuperHeroQwimm
Nov 19, 2014 SuperHeroQwimm rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I will use quotes from the book to show you briefly why I enjoyed it so much.

"'When did Africa come up? I thought you were going to the south of France?' 'I want to know where rappers come from. You know that's always been a passion of mine.'" Pgs 6-7

"Can you imagine the man you were sitting next to taking a good, hard look at what you left behind in your seat and coming to the conclusion you had miscarried?" Pg 16

"Then she looked down and asked me why I was wearing one motorcycle boot and one s
Allison
May 08, 2014 Allison rated it it was ok
I'm over Chelsea Handler (I think Chelsea is kinda over Chelsea Handler, too). I was kinda over her before I started reading, but this book sealed the deal. Why did I even read this book then? Well, I've read all of her other books and didn't want to be a quitter, so I decided to go for it. This book only half takes place Africa, it is mostly just her travel stories, but not actually stories... long-winded antidotes. There was little plot to this book or point. It was annoying how Chelsea assume ...more
Miranda Lynn
May 01, 2014 Miranda Lynn rated it did not like it
DNF at 90 pages.

When I first started reading Chelsea Handler's books a couple of years ago, I really enjoyed them. Her humor was snarky, risqué and different than other female comedians I'm a fan of…but it seems like her work has been quickly going downhill in the past few years. Her last book (if you can call it that) was absolutely awful, but I was hopeful that Uganda Be Kidding Me would be better, especially because it was written by herself, not just her family and coworkers. But, nope, just
Nikki
Mar 13, 2014 Nikki rated it did not like it
Chelsea is nothing if not abrasive. But I definitely respect abrasiveness, plenty of people probably feel the same way about me. But I did feel as though Chelsea went overboard with her abrasive ways, in fact I thought she was absolutely absurd and rude at times in the book. I think some moments she includes must be hyperbolic, but at the same time they don't seem terribly unbelievable either. One thing for sure? You won't catch me doing any of this crap, hell I don't even drink.

Overall the boo
Kim Kardash
Apr 21, 2014 Kim Kardash rated it did not like it
barely read half,...it's definitely time to return this to the library. This book is bad. Thought it would be an interesting subject matter...African Safari, but it's barely about a safari, and more about how much she loves alcohol drugs and sex. Subject matter had a lot of potential, but it's just not good. And, doesn't even make sense....seriously choppy writing.
Candy
Apr 01, 2014 Candy rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: noone
Recommended to Candy by: Goodreads, what a dissapointment
This might be one of the worst books I've ever started. I see no reason to progress beyond 30% read. The subject matter is trivial, ridiculous, and a complete waste of time. Drugs, alcohol, sex dominate where exploring on safari could have been interesting. This book should not have been published. Yuk.
Beth
Mar 11, 2014 Beth rated it it was amazing
Read this while in flight... I'm pretty sure the guy sitting next to me thought I was a chuckle-head, laughing out loud in a flight...he kept trying to see what I was reading:-)
Nadine Lumley
Oct 18, 2014 Nadine Lumley rated it did not like it
I watched Chelsea Handler's Netflix show Uganda Be Kidding Me. My whole life I've been a huge huge huge fan of female comics and will watch them as a great fan. I haven't seen her show or read any of her books so I was going in fresh here.

I hated it. I really, really hated it, and I'm the sort to go support a female comic just because she's a female comic raising issues I never hear get raised by male comics.

I was disgusted, turned off, not funny to me (maybe if you watch it high or drunk in a r
Melissa
Apr 09, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
World traveling with Chelsea Handler? I'm in!

The first part of the book was a solid four stars. If you like Chelsea Handler, you'll love traveling with her as she, her sister, and three friends head out on an African safari. As you might expect, there's a lot of alcohol and inappropriateness, and hilarity ensues. I laughed out loud in parts. We get to know her friends, her sister, and their unflappable safari guide. And there are a lot animals, which is an added bonus. Actually, the very best p
Liss Lovejoy

Apparently Handler broke up with a boyfriend and decides to take her friends to Africa and then write part of a book about it. She takes us on one of her adventures which starts out with her telling about the players in said adventure. Her sister Simone, her lesbian roommate in which she refers to her as lesbian Shelly, her cousin Molly, her oldest friend in L.A
LiteraryMarie
3.5 out of 5 RATING

"I woke up at 4:45 a.m. in Johannesburg, South Africa, in my bra, underwear, and eyeshades. My head was torqued to the right due to the length and width of the pillow I was resting it on, which had the same dimensions as a panty liner. The duvet accompanying this 'pillow' was an inch or two wider and could have doubled as a buffet napkin." ~ pg. 12

And so begins the misadventure of comedian Chelsea Handler on safari in Africa. Complete with pictures, this fifth release by the E
Sarah S.
Oct 29, 2015 Sarah S. rated it really liked it
Chelsea Handler is MY GIRL. Although, admittedly, I have never met her and likely won't. But we'd have some great times over margaritas. Seriously. I could see many of her stories come to life simply because of the number of girls' trips I have taken myself.
Sami C
Jun 09, 2014 Sami C rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir
Compared to her first two books, this one was a bit of a meh for me. The humor doesn't have the same kick, and I found myself skimming and skipping through a few pages. I did enjoy the first part (the safari adventures), but everything else went downhill after that.
Mansfield Public ...: Chelsea Handler 1 3 Jul 05, 2014 07:03PM
Mansfield Public ...: The " Uganda be Kidding Me " review by Jessica Neumuth 1 6 Jun 26, 2014 06:49PM
  • Man Up!: Tales of My Delusional Self-Confidence
  • My Inappropriate Life: Some Material Not Suitable for Small Children, Nuns, or Mature Adults
  • It Takes Balls: Dating Single Moms and Other Confessions from an Unprepared Single Dad
  • Life As I Blow It: Tales Of Love, Life & Sex . . . Not Necessarily In That Order
  • Bad Habits: Confessions of a Recovering Catholic
  • Spelling It Like It Is
  • Little Nuggets of Wisdom
  • Tip It!: The World According to Maggie
  • Time Now for the Vinyl Cafe Story Exchange
  • You Don't Sweat Much for a Fat Girl: Observations on Life from the Shallow End of the Pool
  • Drinking and Dating: P.S. Social Media Is Ruining Romance
  • The Potty Mouth at the Table
  • I Like You Just the Way I Am: Stories About Me and Some Other People
  • Deep Thoughts From a Hollywood Blonde
  • The Grrl Genius Guide to Sex (with Other People): A Self-Help Novel
  • Love Him or Leave Him, But Don't Get Stuck With the Tab: Hilarious Advice for Real Women
  • I Hate Everyone... Starting with Me
  • Melissa Explains It All: Tales from My Abnormally Normal Life
20357
Chelsea Handler has become one of entertainment’s most sought after and versatile rising stars. In July 2007, Chelsea broke into the world of late-night talk shows with her E! Entertainment series, Chelsea Lately (airing weeknights at 11:00 p.m.). Consistently the network’s highest-rated program, Chelsea Lately offers a tongue-in-cheek look at entertainment news, celebrity truths, and rumors that ...more
More about Chelsea Handler...

“There’s a difference between being a class act and being classy. Peeing off the side of a jeep doesn’t mean you’re not classy, it just means you’re a free spirit with a small bladder.” 5 likes
“Sleep is my friend and is the only place in this world where I don’t get into fights with other people.” 5 likes