Start by marking “Uganda Be Kidding Me” as Want to Read:
Uganda Be Kidding Me

Uganda Be Kidding Me

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  5,743 ratings  ·  694 reviews
Wherever Chelsea Handler travels, one thing is certain: she always ends up in the land of the ridiculous. Now, in this uproarious collection, she sneaks her sharp wit through airport security and delivers her most absurd and hilarious stories ever.

On safari in Africa, it's anyone's guess as to what's more dangerous: the wildlife or Chelsea. But whether she's fumbling the s...more
Published March 4th 2014 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Uganda Be Kidding Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uganda Be Kidding Me

Naomi
I don't get it. I think I am missing something. After falling in love (and still quoting) Chelsea's dynamic book Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea, I read everything that I could get my hands on by this author. But this book was like the clap, it went painfully on and on with no sense of sense. It was like pulling teeth to continue to read this book. What I can't figure out for me is that I wasn't reading it for review. I could have stopped reading the book. Alas, I knew that humor had to b...more
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

ARC from NetGalley. Thank you NetGalley!!!!!

3.5 Stars

First, let me take care of a little bidness. Introducing my new guest blogger – Frank Engator. He likah da funny books and just laughed and laughed while reading his first selection by Chelsea Handler.

Now, on to the review . . .

If it weren’t for the fact that seeing her on television or hearing her voice makes me want to stab her in the face, Chelsea Handler would probably be at th...more
Katy Jane
1. I loved that the pictures were in color. That doesn't happen very often in books.
2. I love Chelsea's schizophrenic brain. Her stories don't seem like they are going anywhere and, to be honest, I don't really care. She's so funny that she would write the book in crayon and I'd still find in hilarious. But then the stories do make sense somehow when she's finished.
3. She commented on how bad she hates poor grammar and there were like 5 typos in the book.
4. I laughed so hard at her just adding...more
Shane
This type of shallowness and self-indulgence requires more depth and less self-indulgence to pull it off more successfully (e.g.: "French and Saunders" or "Absolutely Fabulous"), but there's a few laughs along the way.
Georgette
I have read all of Chelsea's books. I tried, and failed, to finish the one before this one that her friends wrote about her. It just wasn't funny. Nothing against the friends, but maybe the only person who can tell the world about Chelsea is- Chelsea.
In this case, she tells us of her travel (mis)adventures.
You have the usual bitchiness and the usual suspects in her traveling companions. You have some unique adventures.
So what unsettled me?
Not so much unsettled as bored. She writes about tryin...more
I've seen clips of Handler, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a full episode of her show. I knew she was a bit abrasive and vulgar, but this book was over the top. She manages to insult pretty much every group of people ever and doesn't come off as very likable for most of the book. I enjoyed the last chapter about her friendship with Whitney Cummings, but that was about it.
Received from netgalley.
Kristen Noel
After reading Uganda Be Kidding Me, my new mission in life is to get white girl wasted with Chelsea Handler in South Africa while watching stampeding elephants. It's been such a long time since I laughed this hard at a book. I even snorted. Chelsea brings back her perverted and saturated with alcohol humor in her latest book that gives us a peek into traveling her way.

I'll admit that I'm not usually one for non-fiction unless it's a really well written memoir, and Chelsea Handler delivers. The...more
Theresa
Seriously, is Chelsea Handler the worst person on the planet, or does she exist simply to make you feel better about yourself? Or is she simply a successful comedian. Or a little of all of the above.
Natalie (Natflix&Books)
2.5

Fairly entertaining and a pretty quick read, but something about Chelsea Handler just rubs me the wrong way even though I do want to like her. Full review to follow...probably.
Leonel
I recently got tickets to Chelsea Handler's comedy tour, which she was doing to promote her new book, Uganda Be Kidding Me. I soured on her because she made the crowd wait an hour and twenty minutes before coming on (who does she think she is, Madonna?) and I actually left early and didn't finish the show. So I was curious to find if the book is as irritating as her act. Well, it is. The book is mostly structured on her recent travels. Half of it is from her South African Safari trip. Interestin...more
Miranda (Tempest Books)
DNF at 90 pages.

When I first started reading Chelsea Handler's books a couple of years ago, I really enjoyed them. Her humor was snarky, risqué and different than other female comedians I'm a fan of…but it seems like her work has been quickly going downhill in the past few years. Her last book (if you can call it that) was absolutely awful, but I was hopeful that Uganda Be Kidding Me would be better, especially because it was written by herself, not just her family and coworkers. But, nope, just...more
Melissa
World traveling with Chelsea Handler? I'm in!

The first part of the book was a solid four stars. If you like Chelsea Handler, you'll love traveling with her as she, her sister, and three friends head out on an African safari. As you might expect, there's a lot of alcohol and inappropriateness, and hilarity ensues. I laughed out loud in parts. We get to know her friends, her sister, and their unflappable safari guide. And there are a lot animals, which is an added bonus. Actually, the very best p...more
Natalie
I can always rely on Chelsea Handler to write a book that makes me laugh out loud. Her stories of travel with her friends made me feel like I was with them. A big fan!
Beth Alkire
Read this while in flight... I'm pretty sure the guy sitting next to me thought I was a chuckle-head, laughing out loud in a flight...he kept trying to see what I was reading:-)
Denise Lamoreaux
Hilarious! I've read some articles from people who think Chelsea is crude and unimaginative. Maybe it's just me, but I find her hilarious. Chelsea books may be a guilty pleasure but they're definitely a reprieve from day to day life and I cannot help but giggle out loud every time I read one-- Uganda Be Kidding Me was no exception.
LiteraryMarie
3.5 out of 5 RATING

"I woke up at 4:45 a.m. in Johannesburg, South Africa, in my bra, underwear, and eyeshades. My head was torqued to the right due to the length and width of the pillow I was resting it on, which had the same dimensions as a panty liner. The duvet accompanying this 'pillow' was an inch or two wider and could have doubled as a buffet napkin." ~ pg. 12

And so begins the misadventure of comedian Chelsea Handler on safari in Africa. Complete with pictures, this fifth release by the E...more
Liss Lovejoy

Apparently Handler broke up with a boyfriend and decides to take her friends to Africa and then write part of a book about it. She takes us on one of her adventures which starts out with her telling about the players in said adventure. Her sister Simone, her lesbian roommate in which she refers to her as lesbian Shelly, her cousin Molly, her oldest friend in L.A...more
Megan
It was one long run on story that would never end
Nikki
Chelsea is nothing if not abrasive. But I definitely respect abrasiveness, plenty of people probably feel the same way about me. But I did feel as though Chelsea went overboard with her abrasive ways, in fact I thought she was absolutely absurd and rude at times in the book. I think some moments she includes must be hyperbolic, but at the same time they don't seem terribly unbelievable either. One thing for sure? You won't catch me doing any of this crap, hell I don't even drink.

Overall the boo...more
Pamela
Uganda Be Kidding Me is a quasi travel book written by comedian Chelsea Handler. It is well written and the ARC did have some proof reading problems that I didn't allow to affect my rating.

This is not a useful travel book, but is a comedy written to make you laugh. And I did laugh for the first half of the book, but then the jokes and behavior became redundant.

If you enjoy Chelsea Handler's TV show you will enjoy her book. If you don't like her style of humor and potty jokes, you won't enjoy th...more
Michael Porter
UGANDA BE KIDDING ME

Chelsea Handler

Okay, I got another book from the Oak Lawn Library that I just ordered because I like the title. I had no idea what I was getting.

I am familiar with Chelsea Handler with her TV Show, but I can’t say I watch it all that often.

Well, a lady a work saw me with this book and told me I would love it, she has all of her books and they are so funny.

That was an understatement. I loved this book and I was halfway thru the book before I realized that all of her stories...more
Candy
Apr 01, 2014 Candy rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: noone
Recommended to Candy by: Goodreads, what a dissapointment
This might be one of the worst books I've ever started. I see no reason to progress beyond 30% read. The subject matter is trivial, ridiculous, and a complete waste of time. Drugs, alcohol, sex dominate where exploring on safari could have been interesting. This book should not have been published. Yuk.
Emily
hilarious! exactly what I needed Friday. checked it out from the library, read the entire thing from 530pm to 9pm. enjoyed it so much I had pretzels for dinner so I could keep reading.
Kim Kardash
barely read half,...it's definitely time to return this to the library. This book is bad. Thought it would be an interesting subject matter...African Safari, but it's barely about a safari, and more about how much she loves alcohol drugs and sex. Subject matter had a lot of potential, but it's just not good. And, doesn't even make sense....seriously choppy writing.
Chelsea Myers
Overall hilarious, some parts were dry and boring, but others had me laughing so hard I was crying. It could easily be my raw sense of humor, but I felt like she was there telling me the stories. although she does sound like the alcoholic, although she does cover this. Excited to read her other material.
Sami C
Compared to her first two books, this one was a bit of a meh for me. The humor doesn't have the same kick, and I found myself skimming and skipping through a few pages. I did enjoy the first part (the safari adventures), but everything else went downhill after that.
Nadine Lumley
I watched Chelsea Handler's Netflix show Uganda Be Kidding Me. My whole life I've been a huge huge huge fan of female comics and will watch them as a great fan. I haven't seen her show or read any of her books so I was going in fresh here.

I hated it. I really, really hated it, and I'm the sort to go support a female comic just because she's a female comic raising issues I never hear get raised by male comics.

I was disgusted, turned off, not funny to me (maybe if you watch it high or drunk in a r...more
Eric Klee
This is definitely the weakest of Chelsea Handler's books currently released books, and it's also a bit different. There aren't many tales of Chelsea's sexual exploits. Instead, UGANDA BE KIDDING ME is comprised of tales of Chelsea's traveling "adventures," starting with her safari trips in Africa (hence the title). Unfortunately, most of the tales, while amusing, weren't really that funny to me. She demonstrates how clueless she is and some stupid predicaments she gets into the more privileged...more
Genny
Sorry to say it, but this is why we are called Ugly Americans. The beauty of the African wilderness occasionally pops up in the narration of her bawdy travelogue with her best friends. But it's not about the place, it's about how wasted they are.(Have to admit that color photos in the book are something I'd love to see in more books, but less photos of her bottom hanging over the side of the safari Jeep, please.)

The book is not just about Africa....after the safari bacchanalia is told, the book...more
Doug Clark
Over Spring Break, I read Chelsea Handler’s newest book, Uganda Be Kidding Me. This is a very funny series of accounts of her various misadventures while traveling along with misdeeds from other times in her life. The first half of the book is her account of her trip to Africa. She took along with her, her sister, her cousin, and three friends on safari. The trip is told in diary form and runs from June 21-July 1, 2012. On this trip, Chelsea is also recovering from having a torn ACL surgically r...more
Mansfield Public ...: Chelsea Handler 1 3 Jul 05, 2014 10:03AM
Mansfield Public ...: The " Uganda be Kidding Me " review by Jessica Neumuth 1 4 Jun 26, 2014 09:49AM
  • Man Up!: Tales of My Delusional Self-Confidence
  • It Takes Balls: Dating Single Moms and Other Confessions from an Unprepared Single Dad
  • My Inappropriate Life: Some Material Not Suitable for Small Children, Nuns, or Mature Adults
  • Bad Habits: Confessions of a Recovering Catholic
  • Love Him or Leave Him, But Don't Get Stuck With the Tab: Hilarious Advice for Real Women
  • Life As I Blow It: Tales Of Love, Life & Sex . . . Not Necessarily In That Order
  • Deep Thoughts From a Hollywood Blonde
  • Dirty Daddy: The Chronicles of a Family Man Turned Filthy Comedian
  • Little Nuggets of Wisdom
  • I Can Barely Take Care of Myself: Tales From a Happy Life Without Kids
  • I Don't Know What You Know Me From: Confessions of a Co-Star
  • Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She's "Learned"
  • New Kids on the Block: Five Brothers and a Million Sisters
  • You Don't Sweat Much for a Fat Girl: Observations on Life from the Shallow End of the Pool
20357
Chelsea Handler has become one of entertainment’s most sought after and versatile rising stars. In July 2007, Chelsea broke into the world of late-night talk shows with her E! Entertainment series, “Chelsea Lately,” airing weeknights at 11:00 p.m. Consistently the network’s highest-rated program, “Chelsea Lately” offers a tongue-in-cheek look at entertainment news, celebrity truths and rumors that...more
More about Chelsea Handler...
Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang Lies That Chelsea Handler Told Me My Horizontal Life

“I tried to think of a worse experience I had had in my life, and all I could come up with was a James Franco art exhibit.” 3 likes
“There’s a difference between being a class act and being classy. Peeing off the side of a jeep doesn’t mean you’re not classy, it just means you’re a free spirit with a small bladder.” 2 likes