Start by marking “Succulents Simplified: Growing, Designing, and Crafting with 100 Easy-Care Varieties” as Want to Read:

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Succulent plants are easy to grow and design with once you know the basics. And Debra Lee Baldwin, the bestselling author of Designing with Succulents and Succulent Container Gardens, is the ideal guide for gardeners, crafters, and DIYers looking for an introduction to these trendy, low-maintenance plants. Succulents Simplified is a complete primer on choosing, growing and ...more
Published May 21st 2013 by Timber Press (OR)

To ask other readers questions about Succulents Simplified, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Succulents Simplified

Denise
I received an Advance Reader's Copy of this book through NetGalley.

This is a very complete reference book on succulents, which are very trendy right now. I am not a succulent wizard (as of yet!), but I have wanted to try my hand at growing some of the more common varieties in containers for a while, so I was happy to get my hands on this.

This book is extensively and gorgeously illustrated with photographs of succulents, which really got me excited at the idea of getting some in my life. It als
Anastacia
I'm a big fan of succulents, and I mainly have succulents in my home - the only non-succulent I own is a spider plant. I've been a fan of succulent since my first Christmas cactus when I got married for how easy they are to care for - and for how simply beautiful they are when they flower, and I've never looked back. I tend to pamper my plants for a while and then life gets busy & I neglect them for a while, and succulents do great with these conditions. Just give 'em water once in a while & ...more
Cherry Lemonade

What an amazingly informative book on succulents. The knowledge this book offers is fantastic! It is amazing the different things that she shows you can do with them. I am an avid gardener and love my cacti and succulents, but I never thought of some of the things she did with them! I am excited to try some of the different projects out and see how they come out.

Her photographs in the book are amazing too! She really captures the beauty of these plants. I loved her description of beautifully str
Dorothy
Succulents are described as the plants that drink responsibly. Requiring very little water in order to thrive, they are the perfect kind of plants for areas where water is a scarce commodity and must be conserved. There are likely to be many more such areas in the future. It is good to know that even in these circumstances, there are plants that we can grow successfully.

Debra Lee Baldwin has written a book that is a useful introduction to these trendy, low-maintenance plants. In Succulents Simpl
Heather
I really enjoyed the book even though it is technically more for growing succulents outside. I still learned a lot about the succulents in general that will hopefully help me not kill these new plants I have gotten. Although i am still not entirely sure which ones I bought. Lol succulents are so new to me and so different from regular houseplants. I really liked the section at the end that went in to more detail about 100 different succulents and how each of them grows, behaves and what they loo ...more
Karen
amazing

I have never read a more thorough book on plants in my life and I own several. This is my first book on succulents and just skimming through I learned a lot. I live in so cal in the high desert and on a Arizona inspired desert scape style home and our succulents are pretty damn lame compared to the ones in this book. Obviously we are not caring for them properly but that's about to change! Thank you Debra Baldwin. You are amazing!!!
Kristin
Debra Lee Baldwin manages to be informative, entertaining and funny describing the plants she holds such passion for. I picked this book up expecting it to be dry and was surprised to find myself drawn in and excited to read more about these unique plants. What really makes this book stand out is how simply she describes the growth and care for succulents. Before reading this I was intimidated to try gardening, but now I am growing some mosaic aloe of my own!

While I do have Debra Lee Baldwin's o
Kirsten
I was hoping for a little bit more guidance on the necessary climate conditions for growing succulents outside. However, this is an attractive book with a lot of great information on individual varieties, as well as excellent suggestions for groupings and projects. Not QUITE what I was looking for, but clearly an excellent text nonetheless.
Lorraine
Jun 21, 2014 Lorraine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who love all kinds of plants
Great! Love it ! Lots of beautiful photos and ideas on how to use succulents when gardening. I am amazed to see how many succulents there are and all of the colors that succulents produce. Working with succulents must not only be creative, but fun too! Well done !!
Jen
Wonderful photos of bizarre and amazing succulents. After reading this book, I added many new varieties to my "wants" list.
Maishaparadox
The section titles alone made this book an excellent choice! The photography was delightful and the information was practical, useful, and well-organized.
Zuriel Goodwin
While I suppose the title, bearing "simplified" should have told me, I did find the book rather simple. I'd hoped for more in-depth knowledge and tips from one of the experts on succulents. Still, informative, however light it may at times be. And interesting succulent design projects inside the book, most of which I intend to try at some point
Staci
The author just highlights each group of succulents. It left me with a lot of unanswered questions.
Anastasia Tuckness
Awesome, lushly illustrated primer on varieties of succulents and how to best use their colors and shapes in the garden and in crafts. It was so beautiful it was a wonderful experience just to read through it and enjoy the pictures.
Shae Johnson
Beautiful labeled pictures of many kinds of succulents. Rich with information. Makes me wish I lived where many if these beauties thrive. Some will thrive in Missouri, but many need a place to winter.
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Kk
Kk marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Slarrance
Slarrance marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Adam Carlson
Adam Carlson marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Laura is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2015
  • Groundbreaking Food Gardens: 73 Plans That Will Change the Way You Grow Your Garden
  • World Heritage Sites: A Complete Guide to 878 UNESCO World Heritage Sites
  • Gardening in Miniature:  Create Your Own Tiny Living World
  • The Roots of My Obsession: Thirty Great Gardeners Reveal Why They Garden
  • Tiny World Terrariums: A Step-by-Step Guide to Easily Contained Life
  • The Complete Compost Gardening Guide: Banner Batches, Grow Heaps, Comforter Compost, and Other Amazing Techniques for Saving Time and Money, and Producing the Most Flavorful, Nutritious Vegetables Ever
  • Living Artfully: At Home with Marjorie Merriweather Post
  • Lace One-Skein Wonders: 101 Projects Celebrating the Possibilities of Lace
  • Skirt-a-Day Sewing: Create 28 Skirts for a Unique Look Every Day
  • Free-Range Chicken Gardens: How to Create a Beautiful, Chicken-Friendly Yard
  • Homemade with Love: Simple Scratch Cooking from In Jennie's Kitchen
  • Grow More With Less: Sustainable Garden Methods: Less Water - Less Work - Less Money
  • William & Catherine: A Royal Wedding
  • The Unexpected Houseplant: 220 Extraordinary Choices for Every Spot in Your Home
  • Straw Bale Gardens: The Breakthrough Method for Growing Vegetables Anywhere, Earlier and with No Weeding
  • Terrarium Craft: Create 50 Magical, Miniature Worlds
  • Beautiful Death: Art of the Cemetery
  • Edible Landscaping
Succulent Container Gardens: Design Eye-Catching Displays with 350 Easy-Care Plants Designing with Succulents Taco Titan: The Glen Bell Story