Start by marking “Living the 80/20 Way: Work Less, Worry Less, Succeed More, Enjoy More” as Want to Read:
Living the 80/20 Way: Work Less, Worry Less, Succeed More, Enjoy More

Living the 80/20 Way: Work Less, Worry Less, Succeed More, Enjoy More

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  361 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
In the provocative sequel to The 80/20 Principle, Richard Koch shows readers, step-by-step, the process of harnessing the power of the 80/20 Principle. With a focus on building stronger relationships with family and friends, Koch argues that we can achieve more by dedicating time to the few things that matter most, while worrying less about work.
Published May 1st 2004 by Nicholas Brealey Publishing (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Living the 80/20 Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living the 80/20 Way

David
Apr 29, 2013 David rated it really liked it
Richard Koch has balls the size of grapefruit to essentially tell us right up front how ill-suited he is to a task like writing a book. And in some ways, he's clearly right. The 80/20 Way is a lazy-ass book! It's a sort of stream-of-conscious outpouring of advice tidbits with a single loosely-tied central theme: less is more. Which is funny, because some of the examples of "data" he uses to support his 80/20 numbers are so ridiculous, he'd have been better off just leaving them out.

But while thi
Kelly
Apr 19, 2011 Kelly rated it really liked it
This book was a wonderful, quick read. I read Koch's 80/20 Principle, which is a business-focused discussion of Vilfredo Pareto's discovery of persistent and consistent distribution of wealth in society. It has since been observed that the 80/20 principle holds in other aspects of life as well.

Koch has since wrote the 80/20 Individual and Living the 80/20 Way. This book was a nice, simple discussion on how one can carefully and thoughtfully eradicated wasted time and low-value added activities a
Catherine
Jan 05, 2013 Catherine rated it it was ok
Shelves: bookcrossing
As with many books of this type the basic idea of this is simple: focus your time and effort on the things that are most productive - that make you happiest in this instance. So, at its harshest (for a gadabout like me at any rate) Koch says to focus on the relationships that really matter and forget the rest. Now doing that would save me an awful lot of stamps at Christmas and guilt over unsent e-mails, but I'm not sure I have the strength to do it.

Anyway, that would be my personal difficult bi
Ahmad Badghaish
Jan 21, 2012 Ahmad Badghaish rated it liked it
الكتاب لطيف بالعموم .. يتكلم عن نظرية 20/80 والتي تعبر عن التركيز على نقاط قوتك يمنحك الكثير ، فبفعل القليل ستكسب الكثير
ثم جلس يسرد عدة أمور يمكن استعمال فيها هذه النظرية
Rob Niven
Jun 20, 2015 Rob Niven rated it really liked it
Pretty easy to devour. I'm my opinion this book will sway to convince you about the 80/20 rule. The truth is, if you don't have the mindset to ignore the distractions and materialistic endeavours, then the 80/20 rule will be too hard for you. Like all self-help / business book out there, there is a lot more you need to learn before judging a book in it's entirety. If you do feel like you have strong self-control then this book is for you! If not, then this approach will sound like "puffery"

It's
Vu
Jan 05, 2016 Vu rated it liked it
I found this book lying around in the house and started reading it. Living the 80/20 way likes a new shiny way of saying you should set goals which are most important to you and direct most of your effort on it. Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading the book as it reminded me the importance of being focus. And don't get carried away as some advices in the book appear to be too sweet and easy, for example, the author claims that Bill Gate and Warren Buffet didn't need to work hard to achieve what they ...more
David Oren
Feb 21, 2015 David Oren rated it really liked it
80/20 rule ftw. Reading this book helped remind me the importance doubling down on what's important. Below are my personal notes :)

- Focus your attention on what gives you most happiness
- work less but harder
- identify when you're productive and when you're not
- focus on your most important relationships
- Romantic relationship makes you happier
Ryan Murdock
Jan 17, 2013 Ryan Murdock rated it really liked it
The premise of this book is simple. “If 80 percent of your time leads to only 20 percent of your happiness, can you cut those activities, freeing up time for things that make you happy?”

It’s about first identifying: 1) What excites you about what you do?, and 2) What fills you with boredom or dread, or what things do you do because you feel you have to?

Your task is to then cut the stuff you hate and focus your energies on the stuff you love—which is pretty much always those things you excel at.

T
Kymon
Feb 04, 2014 Kymon rated it really liked it
I found this book to be useful in our lives- economically and mentally. Richard Koch breaks down, step by step, how "the 80/20 principle" can save us from working ourselves to death. A rather short read with a profound message- less is more!
Fred Zimny
Working all day, every day makes you less productive. To achieve more, you need to do less.

To follow the 80/20 principle, set a destination, chart a route to get there, and then go for it!

Instead of trying to please everyone, concentrate on the relationships that matter the most.

Things will not make you happy. Stress certainly won’t, either. Simplicity is the key.
Matija Franklin
Aug 17, 2015 Matija Franklin rated it liked it
An example of how a philosophy can turn to dogmatic, however in most of the chapters the advice the author gives is sound.
Giovani Salvador
Jun 22, 2014 Giovani Salvador rated it it was amazing
This book helped me to switch from technical to management career, by making the right questions that popped up in my mind.
Max Miko
Apr 21, 2015 Max Miko rated it really liked it
I like the idea of the book, but expected more. Just a easy and nice book to read on Sunday.
Must read original 80/20.
Philip Raby
Apr 19, 2016 Philip Raby rated it really liked it
Some great advice but you have to dig for it. 80% of the information is contained in 20% of the words! Also, I'd like to have seen more real life examples
Mindi Rosser
May 25, 2014 Mindi Rosser rated it it was amazing
Changed my perspective on life. Implementing what I learned over the next several months.
Mwylie
May 28, 2015 Mwylie rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge believer in the 80/20 rule
Chris
Mar 29, 2016 Chris rated it did not like it
Not helpful in applying 80/20
Justin
Oct 01, 2014 Justin rated it did not like it
Total puffery. As fan of the original 80/20 book, I really wanted to like this and learn new lessons about applying 80/20 to my life, but the sad reality is that based on this volume there are none. Anything slightly insightful was already covered in the first volume, and the extra large, squiggly fonts, blank "workbook" pages and checklists are truly disgraceful filler in a book well under 200 pages. 99% of the value was found on 1 page or less of the book. Proves the theory!!
Hui Fang
Aug 18, 2014 Hui Fang rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who wants to improve their way of doing things
Shelves: productivity
Good book which assured me that it is OK to want the best and nothing less, and think hard about the smartest way to achieve my goal in terms of work or anything that matters. Generally easy to read and practical to implement.

One thing I hesitate to agree is how the book makes managing finance sound much easier than it is. I think active management is really quite necessary to achieve good financial health.
Kim
Jul 21, 2013 Kim rated it liked it
I like this book in theory. Practically applied, it's a bit too analytic for me, driving you to study the minutiae of your life. That makes me want to run screaming after about a couple of days. It's best taken in small doses.

This book did help me also look at my life choices on a macro-level, which was enlightening.

What the book does not address is the fear and anxiety that often resides behind our choices.
Nisey
Jan 22, 2010 Nisey rated it liked it
Everyone should read this book. It is an inspiration to enjoy the simple pleasures in life despite the grind of modern life, and to expend less energy for more happiness. Can you imagine how the world would be if everyone followed these ideas?
Richard Sparks
Jan 28, 2011 Richard Sparks rated it really liked it
Explains the 80/20 Rule and how to use it to increase your effectiveness and efficiency in business and in life. Discover what 20% works best in your life to return 80% benefit, and the 80% time-wasting activities that return only 20% benefit.
Pamela
Jan 05, 2014 Pamela rated it it was amazing
I LOVE the 80/20 concept. Wow, I never thought about things this way. It makes so much sense and I have been viewing things with a different viewpoint since reading this book. I had fun with it and was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book.
Rbmaxima
Oct 21, 2013 Rbmaxima rated it really liked it
this book tells you or makes one think what is the important part in your life and what relations do matter and that we need to be focusing more on them. It's decent quick read.
Elizabeth
Jun 15, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
In our hyper-distracted ADD world, the 80/20 principle is tough to master. The rewards will motivate you. If the business version of this book was a bit of a slog, try this.
Sarah O'Flaherty
Dec 31, 2013 Sarah O'Flaherty rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Useful.
Debbie
Jun 25, 2011 Debbie rated it did not like it
OK for a quick browse and produced a couple of interesting car discussions on doing what we want verses what we should do
Alison Brown
Dec 18, 2013 Alison Brown rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
The principle is helpful, but really only needs to be a long article in length
Kees
May 29, 2012 Kees rated it liked it
Good, succinct, interesting, illuminating, but not profound
Noah
Aug 02, 2014 Noah rated it it was ok
At least 80% of this book is fabricated, 20
  • Freedom, Inc.: Free Your Employees and Let Them Lead Your Business to Higher Productivity, Profits, and Growth
  • 50 Self-Help Classics: 50 Inspirational Books to Transform Your Life from Timeless Sages to Contemporary Gurus
  • The War for Talent
  • The (7L) The Seven Levels of Communication: Go From Relationships to Referrals
  • Creating Flow with OmniFocus
  • Tyranny of the Urgent
  • Life Lessons For Women: 7 Essential Ingredients for a Balanced Life
  • Sebastian
  • Self-Discipline in 10 Days: How to Go from Thinking to Doing
  • Stop the Excuses!: How to Change Lifelong Thoughts. Wayne W. Dyer
  • Life's Missing Instruction Manual: The Guidebook You Should Have Been Given at Birth
  • Dr. Gundry's Diet Evolution: Turn Off the Genes That Are Killing You--And Your Waistline--And Drop the Weight for Good
  • Flip It: How To Get The Best Out Of Everything
  • Getting Real: 10 Truth Skills You Need to Live an Authentic Life
  • Every Word Has Power: Switch on Your Language and Turn on Your Life
  • Becoming a Category of One: How Extraordinary Companies Transcend Commodity and Defy Comparison
  • Mastering the Rockefeller Habits: What You Must Do to Increase the Value of Your Growing Firm
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way

“The most successful people change the world not through sweat and tears but through ideas and passion. It is not a matter of hard work or time on the job; it is having a different view, an original idea, something that expresses their individuality and creativity. Success comes from thinking, then acting on those thoughts.” 0 likes