Start by marking “The 80/20 Principle: The Secret to Achieving More with Less” as Want to Read:
The 80/20 Principle: The Secret to Achieving More with Less

The 80/20 Principle: The Secret to Achieving More with Less

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  11,494 Ratings  ·  200 Reviews
How anyone can be more effective with less effort by learning how to identify and leverage the 80/20 principle--the well-known, unpublicized secret that 80 percent of all our results in business and in life stem from a mere 20 percent of our efforts.

The 80/20 principle is one of the great secrets of highly effective people and organizations.

Did you know, for example, that
Published October 19th 1999 by Crown Business (first published January 1st 1950)

To ask other readers questions about The 80/20 Principle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 80/20 Principle

Equating the Equations of Insanity by Durgesh SatpathyThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThe Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro CremadesHow to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieHow to be Successful in Present Day World by Pradeep Chaswal
Best Self-Help Books
22nd out of 211 books — 244 voters
How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieInfluence by Robert B. CialdiniThe Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro CremadesThe Personal MBA by Josh KaufmanThinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
The Personal MBA - 99 Best Business Books
42nd out of 120 books — 105 voters

More lists with this book...

Quinn
Sep 05, 2010 Quinn rated it it was amazing
I give it five out of five but here's the deal. I think the book itself follows the 80/20 rule. 20% of the book gives you 80% of the value. Do this: Read a short definition of the 80/20 rule on the web. Skip to chapter 9 and begin reading the book. Stop when you finish chapter 11. Read 13 and then skim the rest of the book.

So if you do that the book is 5 out of 5 stars and if you read the whole thing I'd give it like 2.5 stars.
Scott Dinsmore
Mar 31, 2010 Scott Dinsmore rated it it was amazing
Why You Should Read It: The principles in this book can literally add hours to your days and compound your happiness. It’s worth a look. What’s more important than having time?

Average Read Time: 4.5 Minutes

We’ve all surely heard of the 80/20 Principle, or Pareto’s Law as it’s more formally known. It goes something like this:

80% of the results come from 20% of the effort.
It’s often thrown around in business as nothing more than a buzzword. Few actually do a full 80/20 analysis of their business a
Chad Warner
Apr 22, 2012 Chad Warner rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chad by: 50 Self-Help Classics
This book is a truly enlightening and motivating look at productivity, time management, and happiness. It shows how to apply the 80/20 Principle to your personal and professional life in order to work less, earn more, enjoy more, and achieve more. The main idea: in business and personal life, “pursue those few things where you are amazingly better than others and that you enjoy most,” and eliminate or outsource everything else. This has immediately become one of my favorite self-improvement book ...more
Nyssa Silvester
Jan 29, 2015 Nyssa Silvester rated it did not like it
You'd think that someone who champions efficiency would write a book that wasn't so full of repetition and assumptions.

Just read the summary. Do that, and you get 95% of the book's benefit in only 0.01% of the time! I think Koch would be proud.
Vijai
Oct 29, 2015 Vijai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thoughtprovoking
For those proclaiming this book to be life-saver, you will be in for a shock to know that what this book expounds is but only one among gazillion other data analysis methods.

Let me explain, there is data and there is information. What you do to the data and in appropriate context makes it information. What the author has expounded in this book is that ‘a little of something causes so much of everything” or rather has stamped an approval (it was not his original idea, remember, only the name “80
Nicholas
Jul 11, 2009 Nicholas rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Mike
Jul 29, 2011 Mike rated it it was ok
There's a good side to this book and there's a bad side to this book. Good side first. Ever since reading the book I've put 80/20 thinking to use, that is to say that cause and effect are rarely linked in an equal way. 80% of the world's energy is consumed by 15% of the world's people, 80% of hospital costs come from 20% of the patients, 80% of your sales come from 20% of your products etc. It's not so much the "80" and "20" that are the point with this book, it's the theme that the inputs are n ...more
Walter
Mar 10, 2014 Walter marked it as to-read
This book takes the "work smarter not harder principle" and runs with it, expands it. The central premise is that there is likely a huge imbalance in the effectiveness of your actions (for example, 20% of what you do may be producing 80% of your results) and you should learn what that 20% is - what it tells you about what you are best suited to do - and double and triple down.

There are a lot of chapters that discuss situations in businesses very different from what I do that weren't as engaging
Ben
Sep 05, 2012 Ben rated it it was ok
I get it. 80% results from 20% effort. I got it before reading this book. Nothing new was shared, there's not really much more to it than that.
I read 100 pages of un-credited examples, made up company names and far reaching generalizations. The point was made through the title alone. The table of contents added some details and ideas on where this phenomena can be found, but really, there was nothing profound here outside of 80/20 itself.
I skimmed the last half of the book hoping something woul
Goulo
Jun 18, 2010 Goulo rated it it was ok
It's OK, but rather repetitive and long-winded at times. The basic point is good and useful: different activities give different value, so it can be useful to focus on the stuff that is most useful and stop doing the other crap. It applies to economics, software development, and all kinds of other areas of life.

As the author mentions, the 80/20 principle is well-known in certain disciplines, including software development (which I have experience in), so the basic concepts were not so radical or
Dessy
Mar 05, 2014 Dessy rated it it was amazing
This book presents the theory of imbalance. Once you get acquainted with the general idea, it should be easy for you to spot the correlation between cause and effect in anything you do.

Whether you will find the book insightful and its ideas relevant will greatly depend on the way you read. True, the book gets quite repetitive at times so I reckon that you use the very same approach to reading it that the book itself recommends. Get the principle and skip to the chapters that are relevant to you
Alexander Fitzgerald
Oct 15, 2014 Alexander Fitzgerald rated it it was amazing
As someone who must make their living from owning a small business, but does not really care for much of the commerce culture, Richard Koch's book is a breath of fresh air. He gives great examples for how most of us could achieve more with less.

His central theory goes back to the Pareto principle, which is most distributions in life follow an 80/20 rule. The natural state of systems and the Earth is one of imbalance. By trying to understand this inequality, as opposed to bemoaning it's existence
Ovi from nugget
Oct 30, 2015 Ovi from nugget rated it it was amazing
Get your Shortcut to Success with The 80/20 Principle

80/20 Thinking is used to change behaviour and,to concentrate on the most important 20 per cent.

I found out about the 80/20 principle while doing research for a time management course. And it struck me like one of the best ways of dealing with the pressures of modern life.

After a brief analysis of dedicated websites, I had the surprise to find out that this principle is, in fact, mentioned in many top-business books. Richard Koch’s book is one of the best proofs for the big interest on 80/20 principle’s topic....more
Zora
Feb 21, 2016 Zora rated it really liked it
I read this as the top-rated review says to, by reading less than half but getting almost everything from this partial reading. This is not another time management book but something radical, revolutionary, and hedonistic. I used to live an 80/20 life. I hope to return to it soon
Kasia
Dec 09, 2014 Kasia rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, audio
I like the idea of it: great concept, great title. Steers you away from perfectionism, stops from getting lost in the details, done is better than perfect, some is better than none. Does that sound like a platitude?

That's because it is one. Much as the 80/20 book. Vacuous and repetitive. If you want to read it, I advise to use the advertised principle and skim through the 20% of it. The remaining 80% won't bring any insights.

And guess what? The 80-20 split is very arbitrary, the author openly
Charmin
Jul 24, 2016 Charmin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: growth
Highlights:
1. 80/20 principle is a minority of causes, inputs or effort usually lead to majority of the results, outputs or rewards. The majority, that have little impact. Small minority, that have a major, dominant impact.

2. Books can be read faster: read the conclusion then The intro then the conclusion again dip lightly into the interesting bits.

3. Happiness: Identify the times when you are happiest and expand them. Identify times when least happy and reduce them. It is better for your happin
John Kowalczyk
May 07, 2016 John Kowalczyk rated it really liked it
I started reading this a few days ago and have found it to be a great extension of my previous exposure to the idea of unbalanced distributions. Having spent some time observing these ideas in my own life/work, it has been even more helpful to read through the text to get additional insights into where to look for opportunities to exploit this natural occurrence. The addition of several charts, tables and lists help me visualize the ideas for more complete internalization of 80/20. I only have a ...more
Max Nova
Mar 21, 2014 Max Nova rated it it was amazing
"The 80/20 Principle" is a must-read about how to get the most out of your life. The book's thesis is that in complex, non-linear, real-world systems, 20% of the inputs often generate 80% of the result. This means that if you focus on the right stuff and ruthlessly eliminate stuff from the other 80% of inputs, you can double your results with half the work. Very useful parts of this book included "80/20 charts", emphasis on simplicity, locking in great customers forever with superior service and ...more
Pascal Wagner
Dec 22, 2012 Pascal Wagner rated it it was ok
The concept of the 80/20 principle was an interesting one and the ways he supported this principle were interesting. But as he repeated his point over and over again I wanted to smack myself. He could have packed the same analysis in 50% the book.

Summary: It's OK, but rather repetitive and long-winded at times. The basic point is good and useful: different activities give different value, so it can be useful to focus on the stuff that is most useful and stop doing the inefficient/ineffective one
Noric Dilanchian
Mar 31, 2016 Noric Dilanchian rated it really liked it
This is one of the most persuasive business guide books I’ve ever read. The Pareto principle is useful for quality management, strategy and time management in this era of change where focus is vital. At this time of astonishing change it is useful to use Pareto's 80/20 principle as a muse. Here are extracts from my notes made years ago and now emailed to my friend:

To think 20%, act 20%; mentally filter the 80%.
In your business, who are the 20% of stars and the 80% underperformers?
Put superior
Ahmad Tekriti
Nov 29, 2015 Ahmad Tekriti rated it really liked it
كتب يضيف إليك طريقة جديدة في التعاطي مع المجهود التي تبذله في كثير من نواحي حياتك
" إذا فتحت خزانة ملابسك ستجد أنك

والذي يدفعك للوقوف دقيقة

فالتوازن شبه صعب تحقيقه في العلاقة بين الجهد
Richard
Nov 07, 2014 Richard rated it liked it
The 80/20 Principle is based on Pareto's law that 80% of the results you achieve are typically based on 20% of the effort you put in. The principle can also be applied to income (80% of your business income is typically from 20% of your customers) and many other facets of life - including your personal life.

While I'm familiar with Pareto's law, I found this book hard going to begin with and took the author's advice and immediately sought out the 20% of the book I might find most useful! The sect
Alexis
Jun 21, 2013 Alexis rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
I wanted a lot more from this book, which was recommended to me by my sleep dr. It had some good reminders in it, but I feel like I'm already doing a lot of the principles. However, it was a good reminder to slow down and that you can achieve a lot without being busy and overexerting oneself. Also a good reminder to cut a lot of unnecessary crap.

Hmmm, maybe it was more useful to me than I thought.
Khalid Sulami
Jan 28, 2016 Khalid Sulami rated it liked it
Take-Aways
• You achieve 80% of your results with 20% of your work. That’s the “80/20 rule.”
• Focus on the 20% of products and customers that produces 80% of your profits.
• Reward the minority of employees who produce the most value.
• Improve the performance of the other 80% of products, customers or employees – or
get rid of them.
• Most businesses are ineffective at switching resources from weak to strong areas.
• Analyze your business by comparing each segment that faces a different competitor.
Marcos Junior
Jul 02, 2016 Marcos Junior rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Os gerentes modernos trabalham demais, superando suas deficiências e entregando resultados com esforço desproporcional. Não prestam atenção no Princípio de Pareto, que algumas poucas coisas são realmente importantes. O gerente que observa este princípio, trabalha menos e obtém mais resultado.
O livro apresenta 10 princípios, com base em Pareto, para os gerentes. No cerne está a percepção que o gerente 80/20 preocupa-se com o resultado e entende que há diversos meios de consegui-lo. Dessa forma, e
Spyrous
Oct 26, 2015 Spyrous rated it really liked it
Dinah
May 24, 2011 Dinah rated it it was ok
Shelves: productivity
Unfortunately an illustration of its own principle: 20% valuable content with a lot of padding and assumptions.

Kudos to Koch for brave honesty in the end section discussing critiques of the original edition – even printing some negative reviews in full – and responding to them.
Melissawong
Sep 05, 2013 Melissawong rated it it was ok
I'm very disappointed because I find neither thought-provoking questions nor practical applications which I can apply in my life immediately. However, I believe that it's a good principle. I found an online article which is more useful than the first three chapters I read.
Michael
Jan 01, 2009 Michael rated it it was amazing
In the words of Peter Drucker, "Efficiency is doing things right, effectiveness is doing the right things." This book is about discovering and executing the right things.
Cristiano Ranalletta
Apprezzabile, mi stupisco sempre della capacità degli americani di scrivere così tante pagine su un concetto stranoto.
  • How to Make Millions with Your Ideas: An Entrepreneur's Guide
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Bit Literacy: Productivity in the Age of Information and E-mail Overload
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • The Path of Least Resistance: Learning to Become the Creative Force in Your Own Life
  • The 1% Windfall: How Successful Companies Use Price to Profit and Grow
  • Purpose: The Starting Point of Great Companies
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy

“Those who seize the day become seriously rich.” 10 likes
“It may be that you will be happiest in the rat race; perhaps, like me, you are basically a rat.” 3 likes