Start by marking “Wow! City!” as Want to Read:
Wow! City!

Wow! City!

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  107 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Everyone dreams of visiting the big city, with its bright lights, tall buildings, and millions and millions of people. One lucky girl named Izzy climbs in her stroller and rides through all the hustle and bustle, impressed by the sheer magnitude of everything she sees. Wow City is based on Izzy's real-life escapade, as page after page she is quoted verbatim. (Izzy was just ...more
Published August 30th 2004 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Wow! City!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wow! City!

Madeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Mystic Princesses and the Whirlpool by P.J. LaRueI Can Cook " Cake Baking" by Marika GermanisOlivia by Ian FalconerFancy Nancy by Jane O'Connor
Best little girl books
297th out of 343 books — 260 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra BoyntonBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.
Books for two-year-old children
201st out of 277 books — 226 voters

More lists with this book...

Gabrielle Blockton
Date: November 12th, 2014

Author: Robert Neubecker

Title: Wow! City!

Plot: Izzy, a mountain girl and her father leave their mountain town to explore the big bustling city life and what it has to offer.

Setting: Small Mountain Town; Big City

Characters: Izzy; Izzy's Dad

Point-of-View: Third-Person

Theme: Destination; Exploration; New Adventures

Style: Bright and colorful illustrations; text is very minimal, yet repetitive.

Copyright: 2004

Notes: After reading this book, I thought that this would be grea
Broghan Schlicher
Nov 10, 2014 Broghan Schlicher rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bakers-dozen
Wow! City! is a Bakers Dozen book, and is written by Robert Neubecker. The plot is about a little girl named Izzy, who lives on a mountain. One day Izzy goes on a trip to the city. Everything she sees is exciting to her, the airplane,the bridge, the tunnel, the parade, the buildings, and the lights. She is so excited by the city. This book does not have a lot of words, but is written from a child's point of view. The pictures are wonderful, and really show the city at a young child's point of vi ...more
Elizabeth Lauver
Dec 07, 2014 Elizabeth Lauver rated it it was amazing
Wow City, by Robert Neubecker, is a book that many Pre –School students would enjoy reading. The bright pictures and few words on the pages would lead a Pre-School or Kindergarten student to engage in reading. I enjoyed the colorful images myself as I read the book and the perspective of visiting a new place. It reminded me of myself when I visited New York City for the first time. I believe that a lesson could also be created with this book, to allow students to think about how they have felt w ...more
Maricor
Wow! City!, by Robert Neubecker (2004)
Picture Book, 36 pages
“Wow!” is right! This picture book is packed with amazing and colorful illustrations portraying a trip to the big city through the eyes of Izzy, a red-haired lively little girl from the mountains. The almost full-page illustrations in the book capture the bustling world of New York City and what it’s like for anyone to go there for the first time. Neubecker truly outdid himself with the illustrations in this book, hiding Izzy and her fa
Douglas Cootey
Aug 20, 2014 Douglas Cootey rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This book featured delightful illustrations that charmed my daughter and I. We enjoyed the bright colors and rough shapes. The art is incredibly detailed, and there is so much to look at and identify. Unfortunately, my daughter didn't relate to this book as much as Neubecker's other books since she's not an urban child, but she enjoyed finding Izzy on every page. Even years later we enjoyed flipping through the pages just the other day. It's a good picture book. I recommend it.
Tanya
May 17, 2015 Tanya rated it really liked it
This one is best for the young toddler set. The prose is definitely not impressive, but each oversize 2-page spread we get to spot our little heroine Izzy with her daddy, usually carrying her in a baby backpack, as they explore the sights of the city together. Every page offers a feast of items to look at, fun for little ones to find and just enjoy or work on vocabulary. My youngest very much enjoyed looking at the pages several times.
Naomi
Apr 10, 2015 Naomi rated it liked it
Same concept as Wow!Ocean! but not as striking. This one was much bolder (like the city is to the ocean) which is probably why I didn't like it as much.
Paula
Soon after her second birthday, Izzy and her father take a trip from the country to the big city.
EBugs
Oct 28, 2015 EBugs rated it really liked it
We read it every year in school. A class favorite!
Ecl  Storytellers
A great conversation-starting storytime read.
Anna
Sep 04, 2008 Anna rated it it was amazing
So this is one of those children's books that I selfishly got from the library. The illustrations are amazing. I love them. They are the kind I would want as prints on the walls of my child's room. It's a bunch of scenes from New York City. I saw someone's blog about this so I looked for it and I think I'll end up buying a copy. Plus, we're going to New York City next month so I wanted my son to "see" what it was like beforehand.
Susan
Mar 03, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
Literacy skills:

Print motivation-lots of things to find in the wonderful colorful pictures.

Narrative skills-There are only a handful of words in this book. Wow! is on every other page. Adults and kids could read this book together by having either the kid say Wow!...or having the parent say the wow and having the child identify the next word using the illustrations.
Melody
Nov 24, 2012 Melody rated it liked it
Shelves: aloud
This was fun to read with a beginning reader. It was a little challenging but the repetition of Wow! on every page gave him an anchor to hang on to when the page before was some flummoxing word like 'parade' when it looked like maybe it should have been 'dragon' instead. The illustrations had a lot going on and were pretty fun.
Jen
The illustrations in this book are wonderfully complex, making it excellent for sitting to read and mull over by yourself. The actual words of the story are very simple - too simple to really hold up as a read aloud story (Wow City! Wow Taxi! etc), but it still engaged my son, age 7, and he says he really liked it.
Anna Scheunemann
Jul 10, 2013 Anna Scheunemann rated it liked it
Recommended to Anna by: Ana Lade
Shelves: picture-books
The girl I read this with loved finding the dog on each find and looking at all the silly things that were in the pictures. It was a way for her to struggle over new words, but not feel overwhelmed because there were too many on any one page.
HippieMommy
Mar 06, 2012 HippieMommy rated it it was amazing
This book has been a favorite for years. My kids still enjoy looking for the puppy and for Izzy on each page, and they've come up with other hidden objects to find as well. The illustrations are bright and colorful. It is a sweet book all around :)
Steve Rush
Izzy goes with her father to a big city. Izzy has never been outside of her small town and when she arrives and is fascinated with what she see's.
A great book to read to kids to teach them about other places and what might be seen.
Virginia
Jul 28, 2013 Virginia rated it liked it
Shelves: children, read-2013
Vibrant and fun illustrations are the key to this book and the main reason my kids like it. There is just so much too look at on each page. The story is meh, but the pictures are fun.
Beth
Mar 06, 2014 Beth rated it it was ok
Illustrations were busy and frenetic, which I know was kind of the point since it's a book about the Big City, but they just didn't connect with me.
Linda
Jan 30, 2013 Linda rated it liked it
Could possibly be used in a city/country unit with the very young and the illustrations are bright, but just not enough there for me.
Margaret
Nov 04, 2007 Margaret rated it liked it
My 2-yr-old nephew lives in the country and visits me in the city. We both love this book. The illustrations are great.
Kim
Sep 11, 2010 Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Very cute, lots of cool pictures. And it's fun to try and find Izzy as the pages get more and more crowded.
Scbrajer
Oct 21, 2013 Scbrajer rated it really liked it
Up close glimpse of the city! I enjoyed the illustrations and finding Izzy in each picture!
Emma
Feb 23, 2010 Emma rated it liked it
With all of its brilliant colors, buildings, and people, sometimes all you can say is, "Wow! City!"
Janderson
Oct 01, 2011 Janderson rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Great illustrations with plenty of opportunities to discuss what's in the pictures.
Mckinley
Jan 23, 2014 Mckinley rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, travel, wordless, city
Very little text so readers can use their own imagination on each page.
Carrie Gelson
Apr 02, 2013 Carrie Gelson rated it it was amazing
This book screams - "Let me inspire an art lesson or . . . three!"
Hannah
Feb 03, 2016 Hannah rated it it was ok
Very dull indeed. Despite the exclamation marks.
Kay Haring
Kay Haring rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016