Start by marking “Wow! City!” as Want to Read:
Wow! City!

Wow! City!

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Everyone dreams of visiting the big city, with its bright lights, tall buildings, and millions and millions of people. One lucky girl named Izzy climbs in her stroller and rides through all the hustle and bustle, impressed by the sheer magnitude of everything she sees. Wow City is based on Izzy's real-life escapade, as page after page she is quoted verbatim. (Izzy was just ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Wow! City!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wow! City!

Gabrielle Blockton
Date: November 12th, 2014

Author: Robert Neubecker

Title: Wow! City!

Plot: Izzy, a mountain girl and her father leave their mountain town to explore the big bustling city life and what it has to offer.

Setting: Small Mountain Town; Big City

Characters: Izzy; Izzy's Dad

Point-of-View: Third-Person

Theme: Destination; Exploration; New Adventures

Style: Bright and colorful illustrations; text is very minimal, yet repetitive.

Copyright: 2004

Notes: After reading this book, I thought that this would be grea
Broghan Schlicher
Wow! City! is a Bakers Dozen book, and is written by Robert Neubecker. The plot is about a little girl named Izzy, who lives on a mountain. One day Izzy goes on a trip to the city. Everything she sees is exciting to her, the airplane,the bridge, the tunnel, the parade, the buildings, and the lights. She is so excited by the city. This book does not have a lot of words, but is written from a child's point of view. The pictures are wonderful, and really show the city at a young child's point of vi ...more
Elizabeth Lauver
Wow City, by Robert Neubecker, is a book that many Pre –School students would enjoy reading. The bright pictures and few words on the pages would lead a Pre-School or Kindergarten student to engage in reading. I enjoyed the colorful images myself as I read the book and the perspective of visiting a new place. It reminded me of myself when I visited New York City for the first time. I believe that a lesson could also be created with this book, to allow students to think about how they have felt w ...more
Maricor
Wow! City!, by Robert Neubecker (2004)
Picture Book, 36 pages
“Wow!” is right! This picture book is packed with amazing and colorful illustrations portraying a trip to the big city through the eyes of Izzy, a red-haired lively little girl from the mountains. The almost full-page illustrations in the book capture the bustling world of New York City and what it’s like for anyone to go there for the first time. Neubecker truly outdid himself with the illustrations in this book, hiding Izzy and her fa
Douglas Cootey
This book featured delightful illustrations that charmed my daughter and I. We enjoyed the bright colors and rough shapes. The art is incredibly detailed, and there is so much to look at and identify. Unfortunately, my daughter didn't relate to this book as much as Neubecker's other books since she's not an urban child, but she enjoyed finding Izzy on every page. Even years later we enjoyed flipping through the pages just the other day. It's a good picture book. I recommend it.
Tanya
This one is best for the young toddler set. The prose is definitely not impressive, but each oversize 2-page spread we get to spot our little heroine Izzy with her daddy, usually carrying her in a baby backpack, as they explore the sights of the city together. Every page offers a feast of items to look at, fun for little ones to find and just enjoy or work on vocabulary. My youngest very much enjoyed looking at the pages several times.
Naomi
Same concept as Wow!Ocean! but not as striking. This one was much bolder (like the city is to the ocean) which is probably why I didn't like it as much.
Ecl  Storytellers
A great conversation-starting storytime read.
Anna
So this is one of those children's books that I selfishly got from the library. The illustrations are amazing. I love them. They are the kind I would want as prints on the walls of my child's room. It's a bunch of scenes from New York City. I saw someone's blog about this so I looked for it and I think I'll end up buying a copy. Plus, we're going to New York City next month so I wanted my son to "see" what it was like beforehand.
Susan
Literacy skills:

Print motivation-lots of things to find in the wonderful colorful pictures.

Narrative skills-There are only a handful of words in this book. Wow! is on every other page. Adults and kids could read this book together by having either the kid say Wow!...or having the parent say the wow and having the child identify the next word using the illustrations.
Melody
This was fun to read with a beginning reader. It was a little challenging but the repetition of Wow! on every page gave him an anchor to hang on to when the page before was some flummoxing word like 'parade' when it looked like maybe it should have been 'dragon' instead. The illustrations had a lot going on and were pretty fun.
Jen
The illustrations in this book are wonderfully complex, making it excellent for sitting to read and mull over by yourself. The actual words of the story are very simple - too simple to really hold up as a read aloud story (Wow City! Wow Taxi! etc), but it still engaged my son, age 7, and he says he really liked it.
Anna Scheunemann
Jul 10, 2013 Anna Scheunemann rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Anna by: Ana Lade
Shelves: picture-books
The girl I read this with loved finding the dog on each find and looking at all the silly things that were in the pictures. It was a way for her to struggle over new words, but not feel overwhelmed because there were too many on any one page.
HippieMommy
This book has been a favorite for years. My kids still enjoy looking for the puppy and for Izzy on each page, and they've come up with other hidden objects to find as well. The illustrations are bright and colorful. It is a sweet book all around :)
Virginia
Vibrant and fun illustrations are the key to this book and the main reason my kids like it. There is just so much too look at on each page. The story is meh, but the pictures are fun.
Beth
Illustrations were busy and frenetic, which I know was kind of the point since it's a book about the Big City, but they just didn't connect with me.
Linda
Could possibly be used in a city/country unit with the very young and the illustrations are bright, but just not enough there for me.
Margaret
My 2-yr-old nephew lives in the country and visits me in the city. We both love this book. The illustrations are great.
Kim
Very cute, lots of cool pictures. And it's fun to try and find Izzy as the pages get more and more crowded.
Scbrajer
Up close glimpse of the city! I enjoyed the illustrations and finding Izzy in each picture!
Emma
With all of its brilliant colors, buildings, and people, sometimes all you can say is, "Wow! City!"
Janderson
Great illustrations with plenty of opportunities to discuss what's in the pictures.
Mckinley
Very little text so readers can use their own imagination on each page.
Carrie Gelson
This book screams - "Let me inspire an art lesson or . . . three!"
Kali
Kali marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Rebecca Brekke
Rebecca Brekke marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Katie
Katie added it
Apr 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Winter is for Snow Wow! Ocean! Linus the Vegetarian T. rex What Little Boys Are Made Of Wow! School!