Start by marking “Sensible Kate” as Want to Read:
Sensible Kate

Sensible Kate

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Ten-year-old orphaned Kate, who knows herself to be a very sensible child, longs to be cute and pretty.
Published by Viking Children's Books (first published 1943)

To ask other readers questions about Sensible Kate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sensible Kate

Shelley
Mar 18, 2012 Shelley rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Rory, Karey
Shelves: historical, vintage, youth
Some books, you start reading and you know it is Your Book. This is My Book. Another red-headed orphan, but Kate is nothing like Anne and I love her for it.

I was a little skeptical of meeting Christopher on the beach, seemed kind of creepy, but once I got over that, I loved him and Nora. I loved the Tuttles and I was mush when Mr. Tuttle said, "I hope you like us," and it broke my heart when Mrs. Tuttle did not go up the stairs. And at the end, when all Kate can think is that she will be useful
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
This book was published in 1943, but I wondered if the action was meant to be set earlier. In the 1940s did the county authorities really send out 10 year old girls as "family help" (ie unpaid servants) under foster care programmes? If Kate had been say 15, it would have been less surprising. I did wonder why, if she has all those relations, none of them could be legally obliged to take her in, but then if they had there wouldn't have been a story.

When I first started to read this, I thought, oh
Cynthia Brown
For some reason I thought of this book and couldn't believe I saw it on Good reads. I read it as a 7 or 8 year old in the early 70s; I think I got it from a garage sale or possibly from an older cousin. I have seen reviews from adults stating that it wasn't written on a child's level; all I can say to that was that as a child, I loved that book and re-read it many times! It grabbed me, almost but not quite as firmly as the Little House books!
Kathryn
Feb 12, 2010 Kathryn marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Ooo! Lots of good reviews from my GR friends. And, since my nickname is Kate, and I'm often told I'm very sensible, and I love seaside towns in California--this sounds pretty perfect for me ;-)
CLM
Jan 31, 2010 CLM rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to CLM by: Ward School Library
Completely forgot how much I like this (inevitably, an orphan) book! Much better than Blue Willow which has many fans and once helped me get a job...
Susan Mehring
One of my favorite childhood books.
B. Hale
PacaLipstick Gramma
My granddaughter found this book at a book sale. Originally published in 1943, it was later reprinted in 1968. This looked like a delightful book, so I asked if I could read it. That way, when she was done reading it, we could have a book discussion! How fun!

Books were written entirely different that many years ago, and I took that into consideration.

This is about a ten year old girl, so one would think that it would be written on their level. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. I am an adult, and always have
Penny
My 10 year old self adored this book. I reread it later as an adult and still found it charming, if unrealistic.

Kate is an orphan girl who thinks she's ugly (although you can see on the cover art that she is dead wrong about that!). She doesn't like her red hair and her freckles. She decides that if she can't be pretty, she had better make up for it somehow. People have told her she has a good head on her shoulders and is sensible, so she grabs onto that for her identity.

While she is staying wit
Susann
Mar 11, 2009 Susann rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Susann by: Melody
Magda
When I was younger I didn't understand a child who didn't have a sense of humor. Kate doesn't understand Chris and Nora's teasing, but likes them anyhow.

There isn't very much sorrow about Vic's older brother, Leo, being lost at sea, which is odd, and there's no follow-up to the strange neighbor lady who plants cactus in the violets bed. Other than that, it's a sweet little story, although a bit too reminiscent of Anne of Green Gables.
Melody
Jul 18, 2008 Melody rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Maudies
Shelves: favorites
Why Doris Gates hasn't listservs devoted to her lovely work is beyond me. This tale of Kate, who is an orphan easily as delightful as Anne Shirley, is one I treasure and re-read often. In fact, I'm about due for a re-read of this, my favorite of all the orphan books in the world. The illustrations are simply lovely, the story glows. Kate beats Anne all hollow.
April Helms
I remember reading and enjoying this book as a child. Kate, who considers herself plain, learns to balance her life with a bit of fun when she runs into a young couple who seem to be the antithesis of "sensible." I did wonder why she considered herself so plain -- I thought from the illustration she was rather pretty.
Sallie
Thank your Melody Marie Murray for donating this book to our book exchange! I loved it, and cried and laughed and cried some more - tears of joy at the end even though I knew it was coming.
Jean
Excellent middle grades novel by Doris Gates (author of Blue Willow)that I still remember and yeah, even as an adult, occasionally re-read. Great characters, good plot.
Sonja
This is simply a sweet book slightly reminiscent of Anne of Green Gables without the depth or complexity of LM Montgomery.
Liz Flaherty
I barely remember reading this book--I was nine--but I do know I loved it--and Kate.
Jeannie
I remember reading this when I was a kid. :-)
Mary
Takes place in Pacific Grove... very sweet and old fashioned
SadieSparrow
SadieSparrow marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Tamara
Tamara added it
Jul 24, 2015
Arielibra
Arielibra marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Miriam
Miriam marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
A lifelong resident of California, Doris Gates was for many years, she was a librarian for the Fresno County Free Library. However, she is remembered for her many beloved children's books. Of these, the best known and most influential was Blue Willow (1940), selected as a Newbery Honor Book in 1941. Many consider Blue Willow to have been the first realistic, problem novel for children, and it was ...more
More about Doris Gates...
Blue Willow Little Vic The Cat And Mrs. Cary A Morgan for Melinda A Fair Wind for Troy