Start by marking “The Surrogate: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Surrogate: A Novel

The Surrogate: A Novel

3.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  155 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
The perfect candidate to carry their child...with the perfect opportunity to destroy their lives.

When Kyle Dolan convinces his wife, Bethany, to hire a surrogate for their last surviving embryo, they allow themselves to hope once again. A med school student, Laurel Bergin seems perfect in every way. Problem is--Laurel Bergin is really Sable Lynde.

As the pregnancy progresse
Published July 5th 2004 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about The Surrogate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Surrogate

Sep 17, 2007 Jennifer rated it liked it
Despite this book having a Christian slant, I did not find it to be an overt attack of religious belief. The story had strong characters, was fast-paced and was a great read.
Shelley
Oct 13, 2008 Shelley rated it really liked it
Wow! This book could potentially scare the bejeebers out of people who are looking for a surrogate. What a roller coaster ride.
Oni Johnson-whitehead
Jul 01, 2013 Oni Johnson-whitehead rated it it was ok
It had interesting parts but was very hard to follow. I finished the book but that's just because I always try to finish.
Tee Mcdaniel
Mar 07, 2015 Tee Mcdaniel rated it it was amazing
This was a very good book lots of twists and turns I really had a hard time putting it down and I have read a lot of good ones lately. I was almost afraid to read the end that evil would triumph over good
Tracy
Nov 05, 2014 Tracy rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
I dislike books where there is the ominous 'he' (or 'she') as a drab pull over character waiting to be exposed as the imaginary monster left lingering from a past trauma.

While I can emphasize with Bethany's obsession over Sable/Lauren carrying her baby to term as she couldn't herself - I found this book lack luster
Melissa
Sep 10, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
3.5 stars Good Christian horror/suspense. Couple who can't have a baby hire a surrogate who isn't what she seems.
Hazel McHaffie
Sep 06, 2011 Hazel McHaffie rated it it was ok
The title made me buy it but it wasn't my cup of tea. It tells the story of a rich and successful couple who turn to an unknown young woman to incubate their last remaining embryo. Only the girl turns out to be a fraud with a murky history and everyone gets sucked deeper and deeper into the consequences of her past. For me it's an example of an agenda showing through the fine mesh of a story. I didn't find either the storyline or the characters convincing. It's the third novel I've read with the ...more
Carol
Sep 03, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it
Not my usual read, found it at my local library (new e-books) and the plot intrigued me. I couldn't put it down! Very surprising plot. About half way through I thought "but this must be ending soon and here I am only half way through" ?? Great characters too. A little OTT on the religion but that was part of these main characters so I will forgive :)

Thanks for an enjoyable read (and I wont hold my sleepless night against you LOL).
Amy Kidneigh
Apr 27, 2011 Amy Kidneigh rated it liked it
i am about half way through it right now. The first half has been really good, although the second half is getting a little weird but i shall see how it ends.
well i finished the book last night, part of the ending was a little far fetch for me but it was still a very good read.
Delaney  Burton
Oct 21, 2011 Delaney Burton rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2011
I didn't finish this book. I probably have about 100 pages to go but I just can't bring myself to finish it. Wasn't what it sounded like from the back and I just thought it dragged on. Hopefully others will like it better.
Michelle
Dec 27, 2010 Michelle marked it as to-read
A thrill-ride of suspense and terror, this novel leads readers to a breathtaking climax. Engaging characters, contemporary issues, and deep questions of faith make this story an unforgettable read.
Mandy
Feb 27, 2010 Mandy rated it liked it
This book kept my attention only because I couldn't figure out what the main character's problem was - it was kind of a let down at the end. It wasn't a bad book, just weird!
Mary
Apr 07, 2010 Mary rated it liked it
A little "hokey", and kinda "preachy", but an interesting read. Alot of action, esp at the end, almost too much action, like the author was "trying to hard".
Julie
Nov 18, 2012 Julie rated it it was ok
I had a hard time not being frustrated with the surrogate the entire book! I just wanted her to be honest with the family and allow them to help her.
Robin
Sep 01, 2010 Robin rated it did not like it
Sorry Leah but I did not enjoy your mom's book. The main characters were too whiny and there was too much "Why God", etc.
Jessica Sanders
May 21, 2013 Jessica Sanders rated it it was ok
The book started off good, but after a while , the story got weird. It was good, but weird.
Samantha Colson
Mar 25, 2013 Samantha Colson rated it really liked it
Very good book. I really enjoyed it. Keep me in suspense the whole time.
Kristen
May 08, 2013 Kristen rated it really liked it
Good story. religious undertones with a hint of the supernatural.
Lisa
Phyllis C Gibson
Phyllis C Gibson rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
Rachel Copeland
Rachel Copeland marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Crystal
Crystal rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Liz Hannah
Liz Hannah rated it it was ok
Mar 15, 2016
Glorimelisa
Glorimelisa rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Liz
Liz rated it it was ok
Mar 10, 2016
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Deadly Honeymoon
  • Circus of Blood (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #2.5)
  • All I Want For Christmas...: Christmas Kisses / Baring It All / A Hot December Night
  • Valley Of Bones (Jerusalem's Undead Trilogy #3)
  • Down
  • The Road Home
  • A Spoonful of Sugar: A Nanny's Story
  • Spirits, Stilettos, and a Silver Bustier (Pyper Rayne Book 1)
  • Devilishly Hot (Devilishly #1)
  • Accidentally Aphrodite (Accidentals, #10)
  • Halloween
  • Dark Star: Confessions of a Rock Idol (Rock Star Chronicles, #1)
  • Dingley Falls
  • Head Game
  • The Prodigy
  • Nightmare (Dangerous Times, #2)
  • Safe Haven (Hideaway #2)
  • Forget Me Knot (A Quilting Mystery, #1)
As a screenwriter (writing as Kathy Mackel), Kathryn Mackel has worked for Disney, Fox, and Showtime. She’s famous with the kids for the Disney movie Can of Worms. She was the credited screenwriter for Frank Peretti's Hangman's Curse (with Stan Foster) and part of the story team for Left Behind: The Movie.
More about Kathryn Mackel...