Start by marking “Little Prisoners: A Tragic Story of Siblings Trapped in a World of Abuse and Suffering” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Little Prisoners: A Tr...

Casey Watson

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  729 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Little Prisoners is a harrowing, yet moving memoir about two innocent and frightened 'unfosterable' children who do not know what it means to be loved.

The shock that strikes Casey and her family when Ashton and Olivia arrive is immeasurable. Two frightened little waifs stand before them, hair running wild with head lice, filthy nails and skin covered in scabs. Ashton, aged
Published June 7th 2012 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Little Prisoners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Prisoners

Ruth Turner

It’s always hard to read about the foster children in Casey Watson’s books. This one was even more so, not only dealing with terrible neglect but also sexual abuse and incest.

Watson’s writing style is fluid and easy and she does an excellent job of breathing life into Ashton and Olivia.

Distressing and hard to read. It made me cry.

Not for the faint-hearted.
Stephanie
A short but disturbing book. Disturbing not just because of the plight of the children, but also disturbing because so many people are unaware that this type of - or amount of - abuse exists. As a former teacher I know of similar instances. In once case a young man made it to ninth grade, and he would still soil himself knowing full well what he was doing. I found out he had been sodomized as a child for quite a few years, and this was a result of that abuse. Finally, by the time he was in ninth ...more
Megan

Little Prisoners was a very sad book which touched upon subjects that were devastating. I often had to remind myself that this was a true story because I couldn't quite believe that people could be so heartless.

Obviously, I can't really give my opinion on the characters as they are real people but I did feel like Casey (the author and narrator) sometimes made herself seem like the best possible person who could do nothing wrong which is very unrealistic.

The writing was also not particu
Trinka
This is a must read for all county social workers to see what their decisions do. Extremely well written horrible subject
Ruby Tuesday
I really loved this book. It's a tale of two children who are taken into care due to neglect. When the children arrive at Carer, Casey Watson's home, they are practically feral, filthy and crawling with head lice as well as having scabies. They are terrified and cling to one another. As the children settle into their new home they start to show some very disturbing behaviour. If you like Cathy Glass books you will love Casey Watson. To me, Casey is a little more 'real' than Cathy Glass who somet ...more
Michelle Bennett
This book is not for the faint hearted or the over emotional. Its a very vivid account of 2 deeply disturbed siblings, as the title suggests prisoners trapped in a world of abuse. This is Casey Watson's third book and like her previous 2 titles centres around herself and her husband as foster carers. They typically foster older children and in this book although mislead into doing so, agree to provide temporary care for 2 young siblings. A boy and a girl. Every page made me angry, upset and intr ...more
Katie
I have previously read Casey's other two books but didn't like them as much, as there is a lot of talk about her Daughter being pregnant ect. I understand that this is obviously something great within the family but not why we have brought the book. Anyway this book had a lot of family info not included yes Riley does have another pregnancy in this book but Casey doesn't take us into great detail this time, the book is more about the two poor little children that she thankfully takes under her w ...more
Vidya-BooksAreMagic
Little Strangers is a very short and disturbing novel. I felt very angry towards child abusers after reading this book..why can't they just put those people into guillotine or something? Their life isn't worth living. Why bother with the court and legal papers? These men don't deserve anything in this world. And at the same time, I felt so much sympathy towards the children, Ashton and Olivia. Its very difficult to make them understand about regular life, after they have led a life of so much se ...more
Betty Jo Pritchett
I love these books by Casey Watson. This one lived up to my expectations. The work that Casey and her husband Mike does with these troubled children is miraculous. I also enjoy the banter between the family members and the situations that are horrible and she manages to find humor in them. While the endings aren't all happy, they are all realistic. Having a child with a mental illness, I relate to many of the situations and problems that they face with the troubled foster children.Casey WatsonLi ...more
Leannanelson
While the subject matter is rather dark, the book actually gives hope. Casey Watson is a foster parent in the UK who takes on children who are considered challenging. This book is about two siblings severely neglected and abused and their journey in the foster care system. I could not put this book down. I could not wait to see what happened to this pair. Quick and good read.
Izzy
One of the more well written and, despite the shocking and disgusting level of abuse the children had to go through, inspirational memoirs that I've read.
There were times I was uncomfortable with how the author would come across when describing certain events and that tarnished the professional tone and saintly image that the author was trying to convey.

For those who've read the book but was disappointed by the lack of detail in the update, here is an update from 2012 by the author in a blog pos
Allyson Langworth
What a great reflection of one heck of a journey about fostering the unfosterable. A story that made me laugh and cry and what a great tradition that you and your family were part of Casey!
Keep doing what you are doing for these kids and inspiring people like myself that maybe fostering is a GOOD way to give back!
Rose Glover
I can't believe what Ashton and Olivia have gone through, but that's what makes them so endearing! I think Casey, Mike, Kieron and Riley must have incredible strength to welcome children like these into their home, and I salute their bravery. Casey worked her magic on these two just as she has with so many other children-I remember reading about 8 year old Spencer, and I see similarities between him and these two little ones. Olivia may have been the more challenging of the two, but Ashton has h ...more
Jennifer Volz
A very hard disturbing view into the foster care system. Some pages made me sick to my stomach, others had me so angry, and others left me wanted to save children in the system. This book is disturbing, not for the faint hearted. Had myself several good cries throughout it.
Angela
A interesting and heart breaking story. I wish that they would have had a more definite conclusion at the end, but I understand that life doesn't always work like fairy tales with happily ever afters. It would have been more fulfilling to know that something was done with the abusers in this case, or at least a more concrete look into who these people were who did it. But again, life doesn't always work out that way. I felt very sad and disgusted with what these poor children had to go through. ...more
Arrica Lee
Casey Watson and her family have my utmost respect for their tenacity and love for Ashton and Olivia. They have brought into light the horrifying condition these children were born and raised up in and the challenges faced in order to re-align these children back into the right path. Challenges that we, as silent readers couldn't possibly comprehend and understand. It is good to know that there's still faith in humanity and people like Casey, Mike, Anna and the foster carers who are sincere and ...more
 Kendall [Kenny]
You can't "like" a book like this. It was an amazing story, though.
I just cried...every couple minutes.
Megan
Everyone of Casey Watson's books I have read has been extremely eye opening and an emotional roller coaster. One minute you're disgusted by some of the things in the book and the next you're in tears. Highly recommended author, but not recommended for those faint at heart.

The Watsons are foster parents in England and their job is to "foster the unfosterable." In all of her books she goes into detail about the child (or children) sent to live with them, the conditions of the home they left and t
Julie scott
Yet another incredible book frm Casey Watson a heartbreaking story of a brother & sister Ashton & Olivia who arrive @ the Watsons doorstep needing obviouus care looking filthy dirty & lice ridden hair. This is a shocking story of extreme abuse beyond the imagination of 2 innocent little children who go as far as abusing each other as thats the norm 4 these poor kids thats all they no. This is a hard read but a must read it will make u smile; laugh & definely cry. The Watson famil ...more
Lori Anderson
A disturbing account of two young children put into the UK foster care system.

I wasn't sure how to rate this one. On the one hand, it was gratifying to see positive changes in the kids...difficult to comprehend school-age children not knowing how to bathe or when to use the toilet. But there was a certain vague smugness in the author's tone, and when I realized she writes books about her other care children with tabloid-type problems, I felt ..... can't put my finger on it, but it bothered me.
Liane
shame they didnt check the small details when they edited it..... at the start baby Levi is 20 months old, four months later he is 18 months old, and at the end of the book they refer back to an incident a year previous....when Levi was 18 months old!

I read this book in a few hours i thought it was absolutely AMAZING .... a terrible story but so well told, easy to read without the formalities found in the cathy glass books. Loved it and am already reading the next one of her that I bought!
Hayley
I started to get aggravated with the author in this book. She has a tendency to often let us know how much of an inconvenience caring for these kids are ---not just these kids but the previous child too. Isn't that her job? That just started to upset me, but that aside the story of these two little children broke my heart, several times. Let me tell you, don't read this story in public if you don't want anyone to see you crying. I wish I knew what happened to the kids later in life.
Tina
Good read if you understand that you are reading a true account of children who were abused by family for years. Pulls at your heartstrings every moment. It gives me great hope that there are caregivers like the author and her husband who take in these children and help them feel loved and care for them. All of us should open our eyes and get involved where and when we can to do more of the Lord's work.
Sherlyn Yap
Finishing this book is hard. The feeling is as bad as how the author had to let go of the siblings. I teared when the boy left and said things to the author unexpectedly, and felt really happy when the younger sister was left happily...

It's really engaging to read all about how the siblings overcome their past and became better. It's a pity the book ended after they left the author.
Ashley
This book was about two sliding brought in to care. They were so neglected and abused they no o e really ,new where to start for help. And I feel that the story didn't really help the. Holder. At all you don't learn how they over came there struggles you just see them move though the system .. It wasn't her best book. Hoping her next one too hurt to stay is a little better.
Caryn
The treatment of the children prior to the intervention by social services was horrific, it was hard to believe that this story was based on actual events. How any parent can allow their children to mistreated is beyond me. The book itself was well written, it would have been nice to have more of an update on the children after they were placed in the permanent homes.
Maryellen
I don't generally read this genre, but something about it (perhaps its presence in the 1.99$ books...) drew me in. Its nice to realize that even though there are horrible parents and terrible home situations, there are also people who are dedicated to helping the abused move past their pain and learn to be healthy and safe again.
Emily Young
What an emotionally draining book. It is hard to imagine such gross neglect and abuse happening to two young kids without someone stepping in. I found it interesting to compare the foster care system in the US versus the UK, and satisfying to see how the foster family's hard work led to such monumental growth with Ashton and Olivia.
Gyldaine
The love all of Casey's books. However, I just didn't like how the readers need to read Casey's previous books before being able to understand some of the references she made regarding her previous foster kids in this book. Not even the briefest background (especially that of Sophie) is made when Casey mentioned her.
  • A Baby's Cry
  • Hush, Little Baby
  • Nobody Came: The Appalling True Story of Brothers Cruelly Abused in a Jersey Care Home
  • Baby X: Britain's Child Abusers Brought To Justice
  • Groomed: An Uncle Who Went Too Far, a Mother Who Didn't Care, a Little Girl Who Waited for Justice
  • Silent Sisters
  • Just A Boy: The True Story of A Stolen Childhood
  • Don't You Love Your Daddy
  • Cry Myself to Sleep
  • When Daddy Comes Home
The Boy No One Loved Crying for Help: The Shocking True Story of a Damaged Girl with a Dark Past Just a Boy: An Inspiring and Heartwarming True Story Too Hurt to Stay: The True Story of a Troubled Boy’s Desperate Search for a Loving Home Mummy’s Little Helper: The Heartrending True Story of a Young Girl Secretly Caring for Her Severely Disabled Mother