Start by marking “Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)” as Want to Read:
Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)

Magic Burns (Kate Daniels #2)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  39,007 ratings  ·  1,894 reviews
Down in Atlanta, tempers – and temperatures – are about to flare…

As a mercenary who cleans up after magic gone wrong, Kate Daniels has seen her share of occupational hazards. Normally, waves of paranormal energy ebb and flow across Atlanta like a tide. But once every seven years, a flare comes, a time when magic runs rampant. Now Kate’s going to have to deal with problems
Mass Market Paperback, Ace, 260 pages
Published April 2008 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Magic Burns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic Burns

Graceling by Kristin CashoreVampire Academy by Richelle MeadAlanna by Tamora PiercePoison Study by Maria V. SnyderFire by Kristin Cashore
Best "Strong Female" Fantasy Novels
29th out of 3,250 books — 10,648 voters
Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningDark Lover by J.R. WardMoon Called by Patricia BriggsMagic Bites by Ilona Andrews
Best ADULT Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance
29th out of 2,423 books — 5,277 voters

More lists with this book...

Anzu The Great Destroyer

Hmmm I wonder what this Magic Burns book will be about

What?? I mean.. What?? This can’t be right

Why isn’t she being stupid?? Wha- How???

She’s going to fuck up

Any second now

Aaaaany second now

This book is perfect!!

I mean, amIrite? AM-I-RITE???

One thing I love about Ilona Andrews is the fact that she didn’t make Kate a sappy character. Not once did she have a "love" thought about any of the hot dudes in the book. Not once. Sure, she thinks about banging them but that’s the normal thing to do.
Jessica ❁ Elsecaller ❁ at Rabid Reads
5/11/15 REREAD with Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA)!

After the trial by fire world-building of Magic Bites, any leftover questions are quickly answered in Kate Daniels #2 by virtue of the shifts from magic to tech and tech to magic occurring with alarming frequency as a result of one of this book's Big Problems: the magical Flare.

SIDENOTE--that's "Flare" as in flare-up, not "flair" as in you need at least 15 pieces on your uniform. FYI.

description

Right. SO a magic Flare has happened every 7(ish) years
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Buddy rereread with the eye candy IA Addicts starting May 11, 2015.

Original rating: 5
Rating after first reread: 5
New rating: 8
Did you expect anything less? *eyeroll*

Post-Shift Productions proudly present
Just Another Day in the Life of Kate Daniels

2.00 a.m.: enjoying a good night's sleep. Phone rings. Jim here! Rise and shine Kate! Time to go kill things! Here we go again.
3.00 a.m.: how to carry a dead, homicidal pyromaniac and a salamander in an enchanted sphere at the same time? Easy. De
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Kate Daniels, could you be more awesome? Nope. This book rocked my world! I loved the first book, but I loved this one even more. Kate Daniels is such a cool heroine. She's not only kickbutt, independent, and snarky, but she's utterly likeable. She's down to earth, and one of those heroines I think a guy or a girl could get along with equally well. I like her quick thinking and her ability to get out of some pretty nasty spots. And her willingness to do the right thing, even at personal cost to ...more
Robin (Bridge Four)
Kate Daniels Buddy Read/Reread on May 11 with the gang at Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA)

4.5 Stars bumped up a half star from first read

Revisited review after Re-read on Jun 30, 2014

Ilona Andrews is an author I think I can re-read time and time again. I liked this book even more the second time around. The magic and mythology drew me in and the plot and story were even better the second time around.

I got excited when new characters, which will be around throughout the series, were introduced and the
Rachel ♥Reads Ravenously♥
4.5 "I'm really starting to love this series" stars

“You don't cause problems. You cause catastrophes.”

photo magicburnscollage.png

While investigating a mysterious bowman who killed her mark, mercenary Kate Daniels finds herself in the custody of a pre-teen girl. Turns out the young street girl has some magical powers, the kind of powers that 1 in 10,000 people get and there are creatures coming after her. Kate must go to the last person she wants help from, Curran, and together they fight to help the girl.

Another g
Carol.
Mar 17, 2013 Carol. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who likes fantasy and kick-butt women
I've procrastinated forever in writing this review. Magic Burns is one of my frequent re-reads, and I'm not sure I can do it justice.

What keeps drawing me back? An interesting heroine that is confident, skilled in her field, funny, occasionally lonely, caring despite herself and lives according to an ethical code? Action that builds from the somewhat ridiculous (a salamander pyromaniac) to the tragic (spikey dogs) to epic (a battle between shapeshifters and gods)? Relationship building that giv
julio
Mar 26, 2014 julio rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to julio by: MostlyDelores
wheeee!

no poets, these two—sometimes the prose reminded me of chunk from the goonies inquiring about the possibility of some rocky road—but fuck my life can they write a Finerr Batturr or what, amirite?

ladies? can I get an amen?

*icy, shunning silence*

no? too busy drooling over curran?

s'okay.

*gaze darkens lustily*

...me too.
Heather
Before I begin, I’m going to evoke my 13 year old alter ego…
Curran loves Kate, Curran loves Kate! Okay, so he didn’t say those exact three words, what he actually said was “As you wish” but he said it after reading The Princess Bride and everyone knows that is how Wesley told Buttercup he loved her. SQUEE!!!

Okay, now that I have gotten out of the way, this book and this series are so awesome! God, I still sound like a fan girl, but it doesn’t make what I say any less true. Look into the eyeballs
Evgeny
Buddy read with Armina, Eilonwy, and Asya.

Kate Daniels' occasional partner and shape-shifter Jim asks her to help him apprehend a mad arsonist. They got him, but a mysterious sniper kills the culprit right in front of their eyes. Kate starts looking for the guy and becomes tangled with a teen girl looking for her missing mom, bad-ass monsters from Celtic mythology coming to life, and magic flares which make shape-shifters struggle to keep their bestial part in check. Non-stop action ensures.

I fo
Tadiana ♕Part-Time Dictator♕
Kate Daniels is my favorite kick-ass heroine. She's impertinent:
The vampire stared at me, his mouth slack as Ghastek assessed his options. I took a couple of forms from my desk, put them in the vampire's mouth, and pulled them up by their edges.

"What are you doing?" Ghastek asked.

"My hole puncher broke."

"You have no respect for the undead."
And she's quick and tough as nails:
"I tell you what, you put the maps right here on the bed. On the count of three, we each grab them. If you win, I tell you
Sh3lly ♛ Queen of Dragons and Wandering Crustaceans ♛

This was my second time reading this and I am absolutely keeping my original rating. FIVE STARS! I would add 50 stars if I could. It was way better the second time around! (And I can't often say that with books I've read more than once.)

It was kind of like reading it for the first time, I had forgotten so much. Like how much Kate and Curran's tension and chemistry SIZZLED. How did I miss this before. In this book, they are right about here:

LOL But there are so many stand-out scenes. Ilona Andrew
Lora
Aug 11, 2011 Lora rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Magic Bites and other similar urban fantasy titles
In Magic Burns Kate is faced with a whole new challenge, and even though it sounds simple it turns out to be anything but; Kate is tasked with retrieving important maps stolen from the shapeshifter Pack of Atlanta.
Along the way Kate crosses paths with a seductive-but-evil guy who worships a Celtic goddess of three, gets strapped with a thirteen-year-old girl whom she must search for the possibly-dead mother of, meets a pack of kinky werehyenas, and once again she manages to antagonize the Beast
The Holy Terror
This was a good book but not perfect. I'd give it 3.5 stars.

I have a hard time with books that have a mystery that needs to be solved and then the character goes from place to place and from person to person following clues and trying to figure out what's going on. It seems like we're just following her as she goes to each strange new place meeting all kinds of new people that I no doubt will probably forget.

In the beginning I couldn't remember who a lot of the characters were and it still took
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Jul 08, 2012 Stacia (the 2010 club) rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Regina
He inhaled my scent, bent close, about to kiss me...
I just stood there like an idiot.
Curran smirked and whispered in my ear instead. "Psych."

Photobucket

I'm pretty sure that Kate and Curran are working on turning sexual tension into a sport. Watching two stubborn beings trying to coexist in the same room makes for an interesting dynamic.

Okay, so I might be eating my words just a little bit. But it's going to be a small meal, no larger than a snack. I'll nibble on two or three mini words, no longer than
Navessa
I knew by page 2 that I would love this book. Here's why:

"Alright Jeremy. Give me the salamander and I won't cut your head off."

When I first started this series I was definitely holding myself back a little from letting myself love it. First of all I'd been traumatized by a past relationship with a series (Anita! Why!?). Secondly this series reminded me of the one that broke my heart. But not anymore!

I was so entertained while reading this book that my earlier annoyance at the whole magic vs
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
This was soo good!! This book was much better than the first and the first was already awesome!!
I LOVED it! I won't get into details...I have another one to read!

**************3/3/2014 UPDATE**************

1st re-read

After reading this book for the second time I'm ready to write a review without gashing on and on about how awesome it is.

Inner voice: Yeah, right... You'll use the word awesome at least 5 more times in your review.

Jo: Oh shut up, you idiotic know-it-all.

Sooooooooo, this book was awe
Liz*
"This was hell and I was its fury."

So, it was a nice day. Kate received a call from the Pack. Next think you know: BOOM, END OF DAYS.

This was definitely way better than book #1. Every little issue I had before vanished with Magic Burns. Kate opened up to us, there's so many things I got to learn about her. Under this Merc persona, badass and undisciplined, lays a guardian, a loyal friend, all fierceness when it comes to protect the ones she cares about. The world building is explained in much mo
Maggie
For the first quarter of the book, I thought this was heading toward 3 stars. I liked it and it explained the world much better than Magic Bites, but there were more new characters and creatures when I'd barely managed to wrap my head around the ones already introduced. But then, but then, there was the soup and the please and the thank you and AH. And then Noelle sent me this gif for Curran:

...and well, I was walking around murmuring Curran all day.

Starbucks barista: May I have a name for this
Phrynne
I somehow managed to read Book 1 and then Book 3 in this series so had to jump back to Book 2. And I am very glad I did. This was a very exciting book with lots of full on magic and heaps of fighting between various magical creatures. Kate is really coming into her full strength and there are some delightful scenes between her and Curran. It's amazing that everyone except her knows that they are made for each other! It was nice too to find out where Julie comes from. I already met her in Book 3 ...more
Ana
What just happened?

description

I’m so confused right, but in the best way possible. All I have to say is I tip my hat to all your people who swore the series gets better. It really does.

I love when a book can surprise me especially one that I didn’t expect much from. This doesn’t happen often, but when it does it’s absolutely the best.

A quick refresher

I read the first book in the series a few months ago, and was completely on the fence. I almost didn’t finish it, and by some miracle the book got better,
Jen (Red Hot Books)
The most appealing thing about any Kate Daniels book, is hands-down, Kate Daniels herself. She strong and smart, witty and irreverent. And it doesn’t look like she ever gets a moment’s peace. As the book begins, a few months have passed since the events of Magic Bites. Kate is working as a liaison between the mercenary guild and the Order of Merciful Aid. And the waves of magic in the world are growing more frequent and intense, indicating a flare is on the horizon.

While on a mission for the Pac
Angela
My love for Kate Daniels started strong in Magic Bites; when I first read it, I didn't think it would be possible for me to love her - or her world - more. I was wrong. The Kate Daniels' series just gets better and better!

Kate's been doing pretty well since the events of Magic Bites. She's settling into her new job at the Order and continuing to take jobs for the Guild. Unfortunately, things are about to go crazy. It's not just the normal magic-tech fluctuations that Kate has to worry about now,
Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽
**4-4.5 stars**

The best part of this book is all the great lines!!! I flew through most of the other parts searching for them. That doesn't mean that the rest isn't interesting because it is. I think the only bad part (for me) was all the descriptions of the locations ~ especially starting at Saiman's apartment and the coven!! I really got bogged down in all that! BUT I LOVED all the interactions between Kate and Curran....they were soooo funny!

The parts with Julie and Andrea were really heart
Erica Ravenclaw

No spoilers! Definitely colorful language abound!

Magic Bites Review

I think the first thing I would like to address here is directly to Kate.

My dear Kate, how I adore you on so many levels it's almost unnerving how much I like you. I may or may not have a girl crush on your badassery, however we need to clear somethings up. First of all I'm getting real tired of your obsession that you should be able to control everything at all times. Then subsequently the way you tear yourself down for n
Felicia
Loved it, this series is awesome, love the world, love the characters, it's great. Can't wait for 3!
Anne
Boy, was THIS a HUGE SMELLY TURD!
I'm so pissed that I let all my friends peer-pressure me into reading this drivel!
Especially Jessica. Thanks to her glowing review, I decided to continue with this series. What a mistake that was.

*ducks under desk*

I'm kidding.
*rotten tomato whizzes by*
Shit! I said I was kidding!
Jeez...
I'd heard you Kate Daniels' fans were rabid, so...
Sorry, I can't help it. I had to poke the tiger in the eye a little.

Ok. In all seriousness, I liked the 1st book, but I didn'
Kaleigha
For so long, I had heard wonderful things about the Kate Daniels series, but never jumped in. I am not a big urban fantasy gal, preferring instead the more romantic paranormals. But I have to say that this series is great, and the building relationship between Kate and Curran was terrific.

Great characters, very well done story in a complex, involved and detailed world. I gave the first book three stars for the simple fact that I sometimes got lost in the world-building, but here everything flow
  • Curran; Magic Strikes Hot Tub Scene (Curran POV, #4)
  • Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2)
  • Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5)
  • Double Cross (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #2)
  • Night Blade (Colbana Files, #2)
  • Late Eclipses (October Daye #4)
  • Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2)
  • Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2)
  • Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3)
  • Magic in the Shadows (Allie Beckstrom, #3)
  • Summoning the Night (Arcadia Bell, #2)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. author2sm“Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a be ...more
More about Ilona Andrews...

Kate Daniels (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Magic Tests (Kate Daniels, #5.3)
  • Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)
  • Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7)
  • Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8)
  • Untitled (Kate Daniels, #9)
  • Untitled (Kate Daniels, #10)
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4) Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5) Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)

“The vampire stared at me, his mouth slack as Ghastek assessed his options. I took a couple of forms from my desk, put them into the vamp's mouth, and pulled them up by their edges.
"What are you doing?" Ghastek asked.
"My hole puncher broke."
"You have no respect for the undead.”
695 likes
“Not only will you sleep with me, but you will say 'please.'"
I stared at him, shocked.
The smile widened. "You will say 'please' before and 'thank you' after."
Nervous laughter bubbled up. "You've gone insane. All that peroxide in your hair finally did your brain in, Goldilocks.”
682 likes