The Samaritan's Pistol

The Samaritan's Pistol

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  18 reviews

Published August 24th 2013 by Jolly Fish Press (first published January 1st 2013)

Fire by Kristin CashoreGraceling by Kristin CashoreCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareGatsby's Smile by Morana BlueThe Samaritan's Pistol by Eric Bishop
Books with Weapons on the Cover
5th out of 190 books — 30 voters
Princess Academy by Shannon HaleFablehaven by Brandon MullThe Goose Girl by Shannon HalePrincess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day GeorgePrincess of Glass by Jessica Day George
Books by Utah Authors
204th out of 750 books — 337 voters

More lists with this book...

Craig Peterson
So I read a book over the last three days. That might not sound like a big deal, but I don't read books. Well, I don't read books very often. I have lots of books but most of them are reference books and tutorial books. I read parts of them but very seldom sit down and just read a book. I have tried and have had good intentions of reading, it just doesn't happen.

Three days after starting this book I was done. I even found myself staying up late at night to read instead of flipping on the televis...more
Teri Harman
Clean, no-nonsense writing, interesting characters and a thrilling story. A great guy-read, but also enjoyable for anyone who loves thrillers, crime, cowboys, the mountains, horses, and mobsters.
Rebecca Besser
Life has a way of sucking people into situations they don’t want to be involved with and Eric Bishop shows us this with his story of reluctant entanglement.

Jim is a simple man, leading a simple life in the middle of a religion he doesn’t accept or really want anything to do with. But, when he’s forced into a life or death situation, he finds out how much his reluctant roots mean to him and his life.

As a war veteran, Jim knows how to handle a gun, much to the downfall of some mafia thugs who thin...more
Janet Jensen

As a little girl, I remember my great uncle Wave telling us the story about spending several days in the company of author Zane Grey, who hired him to drive around various regions of the Arizona desert. As they traveled, Grey described what he saw, while his able assistant, with a manual typewriter on a tray in his lap, typed away furiously. Then, Grey went home and used many of these descriptions in a slew of novels he wrote later.

Are you a fan of Zane Grey and Louis Lamour? You’ll love this co...more
Dan
Nicua
Jim Cooper, a quiet rancher and horse trail guide, has managed to find peace in the mountains and some healing in nature after his harrowing time in Desert Storm. As a well-trained soldier, it is needless to say that Jim is a crack-shot, but when his favourite horse is dying, three men are dead and a fourth is begging for his life; Jim has a choice to run away and not be a part of it, or become involved and assist a wounded man.
Jim doesn’t realize the extent of the consequences of his actions,...more
Robert Woodruff
Daniel
Eric Bishop blends Western and Thriller into an enjoyable and satisfying thrill ride across the West. His word choice will make you stop and smile, painting a picture as clear as a photograph at times. (Just take a look at the book's title, for example.) The characters are varied and believable; I had a hard time picking a favorite.

The Samaritan's Pistol kept me turning pages and dreading the times I had to put the book down. I can't wait to read more of Bishop's works.
Isaac
A few freshmen hick-ups in the first few chapters but Bishop quickly finds his pace, and rolls you right along into a sharp, character driven action yarn. Short chapters, believable characters, and a friendly easy storytelling style puts you in Jim's corner. Eric: the landscape's a character, let see more of it in the next book. If done right there is no such thing as too much description.
Britt
Whoa!!! That was awesome!! This book is so, so funny AND it had my adrenaline going!! I couldn't put it down once things headed south around the 40% mark. And Larry and Brody are the best!!!
Angie
Synopsis: "Even among his small town neighbors, Jim is a content man. Despite the emotional baggage from his time serving in Desert Storm, he successfully runs a ranch, owns several beautiful horses, and makes extra cash as a wilderness guide for wealthy tourists. He's a modern-day cowboy.

That is, until he runs into an ongoing mob-hit while riding in the mountains. Now, his most beloved horse is bleeding to death, three mobsters are dead from his smoking gun, and a wounded criminal is begging fo
Angie
I waffled between 2 and 3 stars on this one. Really, this genre just isn't my "cup of tea" I suppose. Ranchers meet mafia... eh. Not my typical read at all. So based strictly on the Goodreads definitions of 2 stars "It was ok" and 3 stars "liked it" I give it a solid 2.5. So I rounded up. :)

So I really wanted to read and love this book because the author is my cousin. I was super excited when I randomly saw the book available on the public library shelf here in Oregon and I snatched it up quickl...more
Liesel Hill
Today I'm reviewing The Samaritan's Pistol by Eric Bishop. It took me forever to read this--but not because it's bad or hard to read. Actually, it's fantastic! I've just been so busy lately that it's taken me much longer than usual to finish a book. :D

Bishop has managed to write a modern western with a Louis-Lamour flair to it. Jim is a loner cowboy who owns a ranch in Wyoming. He's been around the block, fought in a war, buried a childhood friend, and had his heart broken.

For extra money, he ac...more
Emily
This is a fun, unique action-adventure that delivers an exciting story. The characters on both sides of the good guy/bad guy line are, for the most part, three-dimensional and believable. I could sympathize a little with the main bad guy, but not to the extent that I ever stopped cheering for the good guys. One of the things that I enjoyed most about this book was that it went below the surface of characters and events to touch on philosophical questions, but without being preachy or derailing t...more
Lehua Parker
Eric Bishop likes to say that The Samaritan’s Pistol is about a guy who had a gun and used it when he needed it. It’s a pithy, memorable way to describe his book and the cover certainly conveys this idea.

But Eric’s book is much deeper than a simple gunslinger western—although there are horses, guns, ranches, sheriffs, and hay bales a plenty. I tease him that it’s cowboys versus mobsters, but even that’s too reductive. The Samaritan’s Pistol blends several different genres into one rip-roaring re...more
F.J.R. Titchenell
The Basics:

Jim Cooper is a rancher in rural Wyoming, lonely and haunted by a traumatic past in the military but generally happy with his quiet present existence, until he stumbles across a mob hit in progress in his local wilderness and, being both a noble soul and excellent shot, steps in. Now already an enemy of the mafia, Jim finds himself drawn into the would-have-been-dead-man’s plan to steal a truckload of mob money.

The Downside:

The ending is open to the point of feeling incomplete. It’s n...more
E.A.
Eric Bishop is a friend of mine. I was an early reader for this book but didn't have the chance to finish it because I ended up moving. I have been looking forward to finishing this for several years now.

The story follows Jim who comes across an mob execution and does his own executing in the process. Even as he rescues the prisoner he learns that the problems are just beginning. Now Jim must decide whether to take the attack to the mob or wait for them to find him.

It is down and dirty and doe...more
Kelsey McKinney
I saw this book on a bench on my way to the beach and decided that if no one picked it up before I came back that I would take it.
I've got to say that I'm really happy no one claimed this book! It was a great read and I ry enjoyed it. I can't wait to leave it for someone else to find
Sirpa Grierson
Met the author at a book club meeting and we found him to be a delightful visitor. This is a quick read action adventure that takes place in Montana and Las Vegas and involves the mob, horses, fishing camps, romance, murder, and more.
Gary Hansen
Awesome western feel. I could smell the horses and felt like I was out in the mountains. Great character.
Jessica Faulkner Chase
Jessica Faulkner Chase marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Meso O.
Meso O. marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Joeline
Joeline marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Bungysnaphotmail.com
Bungysnaphotmail.com marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
As a husband and Father, I do my best to keep up with my wife and four daughters. Each fall we pray for snow while riding horses through our nearby mountains. We ski on what comes until it melts. Then we inflate the rafts for a few float-trips, put shoes on the horses and start the cycle again. I’m lucky and grateful.ERIC BISHOP is known to his friends and family as an “author version of Clint Eas...more
More about Eric Bishop...
Finance of International Trade