Start by marking “The Samaritan's Pistol” as Want to Read:
The Samaritan's Pistol

The Samaritan's Pistol

Published August 24th 2013 by Jolly Fish Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Samaritan's Pistol, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Samaritan's Pistol

Craig Peterson
Aug 24, 2013 Craig Peterson rated it it was amazing
So I read a book over the last three days. That might not sound like a big deal, but I don't read books. Well, I don't read books very often. I have lots of books but most of them are reference books and tutorial books. I read parts of them but very seldom sit down and just read a book. I have tried and have had good intentions of reading, it just doesn't happen.

Three days after starting this book I was done. I even found myself staying up late at night to read instead of flipping on the televis
Teri Harman
Aug 28, 2013 Teri Harman rated it really liked it
Clean, no-nonsense writing, interesting characters and a thrilling story. A great guy-read, but also enjoyable for anyone who loves thrillers, crime, cowboys, the mountains, horses, and mobsters.
Dan
Sep 06, 2013 Dan rated it it was amazing
Janet Jensen
Aug 09, 2013 Janet Jensen rated it it was amazing

As a little girl, I remember my great uncle Wave telling us the story about spending several days in the company of author Zane Grey, who hired him to drive around various regions of the Arizona desert. As they traveled, Grey described what he saw, while his able assistant, with a manual typewriter on a tray in his lap, typed away furiously. Then, Grey went home and used many of these descriptions in a slew of novels he wrote later.

Are you a fan of Zane Grey and Louis Lamour? You’ll love this co
Nicua
Aug 15, 2013 Nicua rated it really liked it
Jim Cooper, a quiet rancher and horse trail guide, has managed to find peace in the mountains and some healing in nature after his harrowing time in Desert Storm. As a well-trained soldier, it is needless to say that Jim is a crack-shot, but when his favourite horse is dying, three men are dead and a fourth is begging for his life; Jim has a choice to run away and not be a part of it, or become involved and assist a wounded man.
Jim doesn’t realize the extent of the consequences of his actions,
Rebecca Besser
Aug 30, 2013 Rebecca Besser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Life has a way of sucking people into situations they don’t want to be involved with and Eric Bishop shows us this with his story of reluctant entanglement.

Jim is a simple man, leading a simple life in the middle of a religion he doesn’t accept or really want anything to do with. But, when he’s forced into a life or death situation, he finds out how much his reluctant roots mean to him and his life.

As a war veteran, Jim knows how to handle a gun, much to the downfall of some mafia thugs who thin
Daniel
Aug 23, 2013 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Eric Bishop blends Western and Thriller into an enjoyable and satisfying thrill ride across the West. His word choice will make you stop and smile, painting a picture as clear as a photograph at times. (Just take a look at the book's title, for example.) The characters are varied and believable; I had a hard time picking a favorite.

The Samaritan's Pistol kept me turning pages and dreading the times I had to put the book down. I can't wait to read more of Bishop's works.
Isaac Timm
Aug 25, 2013 Isaac Timm rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2013
A few freshmen hick-ups in the first few chapters but Bishop quickly finds his pace, and rolls you right along into a sharp, character driven action yarn. Short chapters, believable characters, and a friendly easy storytelling style puts you in Jim's corner. Eric: the landscape's a character, let see more of it in the next book. If done right there is no such thing as too much description.
Britt
Sep 02, 2013 Britt rated it it was amazing
Whoa!!! That was awesome!! This book is so, so funny AND it had my adrenaline going!! I couldn't put it down once things headed south around the 40% mark. And Larry and Brody are the best!!!
Robert Woodruff
Angie
Jan 03, 2014 Angie rated it liked it
I waffled between 2 and 3 stars on this one. Really, this genre just isn't my "cup of tea" I suppose. Ranchers meet mafia... eh. Not my typical read at all. So based strictly on the Goodreads definitions of 2 stars "It was ok" and 3 stars "liked it" I give it a solid 2.5. So I rounded up. :)

So I really wanted to read and love this book because the author is my cousin. I was super excited when I randomly saw the book available on the public library shelf here in Oregon and I snatched it up quickl
Angie
Nov 20, 2013 Angie rated it liked it
Synopsis: "Even among his small town neighbors, Jim is a content man. Despite the emotional baggage from his time serving in Desert Storm, he successfully runs a ranch, owns several beautiful horses, and makes extra cash as a wilderness guide for wealthy tourists. He's a modern-day cowboy.

That is, until he runs into an ongoing mob-hit while riding in the mountains. Now, his most beloved horse is bleeding to death, three mobsters are dead from his smoking gun, and a wounded criminal is begging fo
Lehua Parker
Aug 06, 2013 Lehua Parker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jolly-fish-press
Eric Bishop likes to say that The Samaritan’s Pistol is about a guy who had a gun and used it when he needed it. It’s a pithy, memorable way to describe his book and the cover certainly conveys this idea.

But Eric’s book is much deeper than a simple gunslinger western—although there are horses, guns, ranches, sheriffs, and hay bales a plenty. I tease him that it’s cowboys versus mobsters, but even that’s too reductive. The Samaritan’s Pistol blends several different genres into one rip-roaring re
Liesel Hill
Aug 25, 2013 Liesel Hill rated it really liked it
Today I'm reviewing The Samaritan's Pistol by Eric Bishop. It took me forever to read this--but not because it's bad or hard to read. Actually, it's fantastic! I've just been so busy lately that it's taken me much longer than usual to finish a book. :D

Bishop has managed to write a modern western with a Louis-Lamour flair to it. Jim is a loner cowboy who owns a ranch in Wyoming. He's been around the block, fought in a war, buried a childhood friend, and had his heart broken.

For extra money, he ac
F.J.R. Titchenell
Jul 21, 2013 F.J.R. Titchenell rated it really liked it
The Basics:

Jim Cooper is a rancher in rural Wyoming, lonely and haunted by a traumatic past in the military but generally happy with his quiet present existence, until he stumbles across a mob hit in progress in his local wilderness and, being both a noble soul and excellent shot, steps in. Now already an enemy of the mafia, Jim finds himself drawn into the would-have-been-dead-man’s plan to steal a truckload of mob money.

The Downside:

The ending is open to the point of feeling incomplete. It’s n
Emily
Aug 02, 2013 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-suspense
This is a fun, unique action-adventure that delivers an exciting story. The characters on both sides of the good guy/bad guy line are, for the most part, three-dimensional and believable. I could sympathize a little with the main bad guy, but not to the extent that I ever stopped cheering for the good guys. One of the things that I enjoyed most about this book was that it went below the surface of characters and events to touch on philosophical questions, but without being preachy or derailing t ...more
E.A.
Nov 05, 2013 E.A. rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Eric Bishop is a friend of mine. I was an early reader for this book but didn't have the chance to finish it because I ended up moving. I have been looking forward to finishing this for several years now.

The story follows Jim who comes across an mob execution and does his own executing in the process. Even as he rescues the prisoner he learns that the problems are just beginning. Now Jim must decide whether to take the attack to the mob or wait for them to find him.

It is down and dirty and doe
Chris Bunnell
I read this back in 2013 originally. I really enjoyed this debut novel. I am a fan of western novels as well as the mafia. So to me this was a great combination in the story. I also enjoyed the LDS parts woven into the story. It has great action and humor throughout. I thought the all the characters had life to them. I am definitely excited to see what is in store for the characters. I anxiously await the follow-up. I look forward to reading more stories from this author and I am so glad I took ...more
Christine Haggerty
Sep 22, 2013 Christine Haggerty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I'm more of a fantasy and science fiction fan, but this book delivered a great story with all the elements and I literally devoured the story. Regardless of genre, this book by Bishop is worth the read. His style is clean, well-balanced description with a lot of great dialogue.

I cannot wait for the next one! Cowboys, mobsters, and a lot of depth about relationships and personal values. I related to many of the characters and enjoyed the setting which echoes Dean Koontz.
Sirpa Grierson
Jun 04, 2014 Sirpa Grierson rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Met the author at a book club meeting and we found him to be a delightful visitor. This is a quick read action adventure that takes place in Montana and Las Vegas and involves the mob, horses, fishing camps, romance, murder, and more.
Kelsey
Jun 14, 2014 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
I saw this book on a bench on my way to the beach and decided that if no one picked it up before I came back that I would take it.
I've got to say that I'm really happy no one claimed this book! It was a great read and I ry enjoyed it. I can't wait to leave it for someone else to find
Gary Hansen
Dec 04, 2013 Gary Hansen rated it it was amazing
Awesome western feel. I could smell the horses and felt like I was out in the mountains. Great character.
Ron Foster
Ron Foster rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2015
Jeana Rock
Jeana Rock rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2014
Robert Pyszk
Robert Pyszk rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2013
Scott
Scott rated it it was ok
Aug 25, 2013
Jory Spotts
Jory Spotts rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2013
Kyle Hawthorne
Kyle Hawthorne rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2013
Zak Ricklefs
Zak Ricklefs rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
Danw
Danw rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2014
  • Eleanor (The Unseen, #1)
  • The Taking of Trevor Ward
  • Pitch Green (Dimensions in Death, #1)
  • Big in Japan
  • Soul Trade
  • One Boy, No Water (The Niuhi Shark Saga #1)
  • Up in the Air
  • The Legendary Pine Barrens: New Tales from Old Haunts
  • Tales from Dragon Precinct
  • Trusted (Trusted, #1)
  • Someone Is Hiding on Alcatraz Island
  • The Countess (Skyy Huntington, #2)
  • Copper Reign (The Heartstone Collection Book 1)
  • Dissension
  • Uncontrolled Desires
  • Shadows of Valor
  • CIA Fall Guy
  • Murder at Thumb Butte
As a husband and Father, I do my best to keep up with my wife and four daughters. Each fall we pray for snow while riding horses through our nearby mountains. We ski on what comes until it melts. Then we inflate the rafts for a few float-trips, put shoes on the horses and start the cycle again. I’m lucky and grateful.ERIC BISHOP is known to his friends and family as an “author version of Clint Eas ...more
More about Eric Bishop...