Start by marking “Fire and Ice (Spirit Animals, #4)” as Want to Read:
Fire and Ice (Spirit Animals, #4)

Fire and Ice (Spirit Animals #4)

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  627 ratings  ·  71 reviews
The adventure continues in this fourth book of the epic multiplatform fantasy series.

Cracks In The Ice

Strange things are happening at the frozen edge of the world. Conor, Abeke, Meilin, and Rollan have crisscrossed Erdas in their quest to stop the ruthless Conquerors. Only the four of them, supported by the gifts of their legendary spirit animals, have the power to defeat
Published June 24th 2014 by Scholastic Inc.

NICOLE SCRIBNER
The Greencloaks set out on another journey for another talisman. However, the Conquerors aren't that far behind. It almost seems as though one of their own is working in cahoots with one of the Devourer's followers. It just doesn't seem fair. There are more conquerors than there are Greencloaks. Although there is a fire raging in Meilin's heart after the loss of her father, 5 to several is just a disadvantage. Someone is bound to get hurt or killed. However, they did acquire a new member (not ne ...more
LibraryLass
My star rating:

Plot: 4/5
Pacing: 5/5
Characters: 4/5
World: 4.5/5
Romance: N/A

Enjoyment level: 4/5 stars

I love this children's series. This one was a tad more.... darker than the others, but still a highly enjoyable read. Have the next one on reserve at the library!
Chris Zhao
Spirit Animals: Fire and Ice, is Book 4 out of a series about people who using a substance called nectar, would summon an animal to be their companion, friend, and fighter. Four kids, Conor, Meilin, Abek, and Rollan have summoned the fallen great beasts, Briggan(wolf for Conor), Jhi(panda for meilin), Uraza(Cheeta for abeke), and Essix(hawk for Rollan), and must save the world from the Conqueror, a man bent on controling all the spirit animals, and the world. The four kids have allied with the ...more
Denae
I am probably biased toward Shannon Hale (see Book of a Thousand Days), but this was my favorite book of this series so far. The narration felt closer, there were more injuries, and fun things happened with spirit animals (magic abilities, galore!).
Was this without fault? No. There was too much romance (these kids are, like, 11 or 12, right?). The action and injuries were short and seemed random and easily forgotten (Fell into a crater? You're fine. Stabbed with a knife? We'll just ignore you un
s e n t i m e n t a l i t i e s olittlebear
The characters have been completely rewritten for the ease of this author and at the cost of the series' quality. Rollan is made out to be there only for Meilin. Conor is smack talking, suddenly carrying a shepherd staff although he didn't for the first three books, and is going back to the issue of giving away the boar's talisman even though it had been resolved. Isn't there enough of a story to tell without going back on past issues that were dealt with in a far better way. Extra example being ...more
Christy
I didn't like this book as much as the others in the series. I usually like this author, but some of the things that bugged me were:
1. two rather gruesome deaths of random people in the first chapter
2. a lot of hand holding and romantic gazing going on (these kids are only 11)
3. too many similes in the writing style. They really jumped out at me for some reason and got on my nerves after a while.
4. the kids talked in a more sarcastic & modern way than I remembered, and there were several inc
Nora
This is the next book in the spirit animals series, and it is my favorite so far. If you have not read the other books, don’t read this review, because it says things about the book that might give away things about the first three books! So, the kids who have summoned the Four Fallen have to go get the Crystal Polar Bear of Suka, another great beast who apparently is encased in a tomb of ice she made herself.To find the talisman, they have to use all their abilities, trust each other, find out ...more
Melody
I didn't read the first 3 books of this series and honestly I don't intend to read the rest either. I only read this book because , hey it's Shannon Hale and most of her stuff is fantastic. I did quite enjoy this book although I didn't always understand wht was going on. I missed alot of important details from previous books. I don't even know how old the characters are. I think this is a well done book and an interesting series. I just feel it is a bit juvenile for me and I have too many other ...more
Patrick
Like 2.7. The team treks and has adventures, meets new peoples and animals, almost dies, and worry if one of them is betraying them. The bad guys know things and fight them and try to steal the talismans. I think I know who the traitor is, though it won't be revealed for a book or two. Shane will also switch sides.

It's OK. Good to have around for school, not really worth buying for home. I wasn't impressed with Hale here--I had hoped she would liven things up. I wonder if it's a feature or a bu
Lisa
The fourth installment of the Spirit Animals series, and this one takes them to Artica to find the polar bear great beast. One again, the four friends are thrown into impossible situations, but with each other's help, are able to escape. However, the Conquerors always seem to be one step ahead of them, and when Rollan meets someone from his past, more is revealed than they thought was possible.

My favorite book of the series so far. I really enjoyed it, especially how much more you get to know th
David
Story:
The world of Erdas is in trouble. The Conquerors have freed the serpent Gerathon from her prison, and she is causing mischief in many parts of the world. Meanwhile Rollan, Conor, Meilin, Abeke, the Greencloaks, and their Spirit Animals are traveling to the cold lands of Artica to find the great polar bear Suka and retrieve her talisman. Unfortunately it's been ages since anyone has seen the great beast, and the legends that exist suggest she could be trapped. Not only has Suka's absence be
Becky B
The four children bonded to the Great Beasts are now in search of the talisman guarded by Suka, the polar bear. Conor, Abeke, Meilin, Rollan, Tarik and Maya head to Arctica on rumors of the location of Suka. They stop by a town where Suka is said to stop yearly, but they find little help and no sign of Suka there, though there's obviously something strange going on. The town elder eventually gives the heroes one clue and they manage to evade the Conquerors right on their tail. But after days and ...more
Twyla
My favorite part was when the fight was over. the worst part was when the polar bear ruined the castle. and my favorite character was the polar bear because she was nice near the end. the worst character was the enemy because they were very mean. this book was mostly about the kids going to find a humongous polar bear anarctica and get her talisman in the end area she broke a castle.
Taneka
This is a great addition to the Spirit Animals Series from Shannon Hale. Edge of your seat action and a great plot twist. I cannot wait until the next installment Against the Tide.
Wow! that was so intense. I do believe that was the worse battle by far and I believe that as the Fallen Four get closer to the remaining talisman it's going to get worse. and who is the traitor, how are they getting the information back to the Conqueror with anyone else realizing it? Oh the questions that this one left me with... guess that means on to the next one!
Joe Holman
It's a good read but there are some very tough things such as horrible deaths/injuries to parents that may make this inappropriate for some young adults. And that's a problem as young adults are the principal audience for this book series.
Angela
Aug 20, 2014 Angela added it
Okay, so this book wasn't as good as the first one, but it was a lot better than the second and third. Plus, Rollan isn't exactly my favorite character. And I was angry that the bad guys got the talisman. I hope the next book will be better.
April
I had high hopes for this Spirit Animals book, I've enjoyed the series and love the idea of so many of my favorite young adult writers working out the adventure together. I also love Shannon Hale's writing, but it was a bit flat in my opinion.
Liz Gabbitas
I honestly think these books are getting better as they go along. Maybe it's because we get to see the same people in another author's hands but I feel like the characters develop in different ways with each book and that's kind of fun.
Callie Stillion
Again, another amazing Spirit Animals book. This time, I could have even rated it 6 stars, because they stuck together so well!
As Meilin is trying to overcome the tragedy in book 3, everyone else is happy, until they have to go to Arctica because they need to defeat the Crystal Polar Bear. I thought that the Crystal Polar Bear would be a bit more of a softy, but if you asked me, in the beginning Pia gave a pretty good description of how mean it could be.
Abeke also goes back and battles a case of
Galion Public Library Teens
Review by C.M.: "Good book that made a great 4th Spirit Animals story with action and a little hope." (4 stars)

A.J. liked "the whole thing" and recommends it for "anyone who likes animals." (5 stars)
Zoë B
This was so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!☺☺☺☺ I love how the book showed the progress of each of the characters. Rolland did a huge step at the end, Meilin was able to make a better connection with Jhi, and Abeke and Uraza seem happy and content just like Conner and Briggen.
Tseten
It's a really good book I think Tarik is with the devourer! I hope Rollan doesn't join the devourer because his mom is with the conquers
I can't wait till the fifth book comes out!!!!!!!!!!
Lyndsay
More of the same. I suppose this one did have a little bit of a plot twist, that added an element of something other than the same old same old. We'll see what the next book brings about...
Reagan
Entertaining

Entertaining

Loved this book. I thought this book was amazing because it has great characters that work together to save Erdas
Brenda Kahn
This series is just getting better. This installment features fewer battles and focuses a bit more on character development. That said, the battle that closes the book is rather breathtaking in its violence and intensity. Fitting but breathtaking.
Shannon
Oh Essix *sniff* but damn this series is good. I love it now and I would have devoured them had I been their target audience age when they were published.
Allison
Oh, Shannon Hale. Why can't you finish the rest of the series? The characterization was much better in this one, as were the emotional "moments."
Chris
I've on read this one and the first one, cause I like the authors, but I think they are entertaining. I do like the back stories more than the adventures.
Rachel Prince
Rollan's story was heartbreaking. And his suspicious stance and struggle with bonding with Essix are very interesting. I liked the focus on him in this book.
  • Against the Tide (Spirit Animals, #5)
  • Blood Ties (Spirit Animals, #3)
  • Hunted (Spirit Animals, #2)
  • Spirit Animals Special Edition: Tales of the Great Beasts (Spirit Animals, #0.5)
  • Rise and Fall (Spirit Animals, #6)
  • The Evertree (Spirit Animals, #7)
  • Air Keep (Farworld, #3)
  • The Silver Door (The Three Doors Trilogy #2)
  • Strike of the Sweepers (Janitors, #4)
  • The Tomb of Shadows (Seven Wonders, #3)
  • Curse of the Ancients (Infinity Ring #4)
  • Behind Enemy Lines (Infinity Ring, #6)
  • Flashpoint (The 39 Clues: Unstoppable, #4)
  • Star Wolf (Wolves of the Beyond, #6)
  • Cave of Wonders (Infinity Ring, #5)
  • The Iron Empire (Infinity Ring, #7)
Shannon Hale is the New York Times best-selling author of six young adult novels: the Newbery Honor book Princess Academy, multiple award winner Book of a Thousand Days, and the highly acclaimed Books of Bayern series. She has written three books for adults, including the upcoming Midnight in Austenland (Jan. 2012), companion book to Austenland. She co-wrote the hit graphic novel Rapunzel's Reveng ...more
More about Shannon Hale...
The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1) Princess Academy (Princess Academy, #1) Austenland (Austenland, #1) Book of a Thousand Days Enna Burning (The Books of Bayern, #2)