Start by marking “The Quiet Streets of Winslow” as Want to Read:
The Quiet Streets of Winslow

The Quiet Streets of Winslow

When the murdered body of a young woman is found in a river wash in Black Canyon City, Arizona, Deputy Sheriff Sam Rush begins an investigation that leads deeper and deeper into the mystery of her death and the psychological mystery of identity. Nate Aspenall, with whom the young woman had been involved, is forced to confront the facts of her life and his own, and what he ...more
Published February 11th 2014 by Counterpoint

To ask other readers questions about The Quiet Streets of Winslow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quiet Streets of Winslow

Paula Margulies
Jul 22, 2014 Paula Margulies rated it it was amazing
Wonderful novel - suspenseful and poignant. I found the characters to be compelling and sympathetic, especially Nate's younger half-brother, Travis Aspenall, and the sheriff, Sam Rush. Travis's lack of success with a girl at school mirrors his brother Nate's struggles with the complicated and ephemeral waitress, Jody Farnell, whose murder is the focus of the story. The writing has a sparse and haunting feel to it, which matches the desert setting and gives the characters' voices a heartbreaking ...more
Jk
Mar 15, 2014 Jk rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received a very nice hardcover copy of this book for free via the Goodreads First Reads program and would like to thank everyone who made that possible.

This was a good solid murder mystery but also so much more and I really enjoyed it. I liked the alternation between points of view as the investigation unfolded, Travis and Nate's parts particularly. I generally don't care for books that end ambiguously but in this case the ending was really fitting. I was not disappointed and would love to che
Karen
Mar 29, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
On the first page or two a couple of young boys discover the body of a young woman. The rest of the book is an investigation. I won't discuss how that develops, except to say this is a character-driven psychological novel told from several points of view. For that reason, it's compelling and realistic.
Amy Davis
Oct 21, 2016 Amy Davis rated it liked it
So the book is interesting and the narration is decent. It tells a story of a murder in rural Arizona. The interesting aspect of the book has to do with retelling of the pieces of the story from a different perspective.

One silly thing that spoiled the book for me -- and it could be just me -- was the choice of the locations by interstate highways I-40 and I-17. Somehow busy highways and the quiet aspect of the story (chosen even for the title) did not jive well together. The author should have s
C.J. Shane
Nov 19, 2015 C.J. Shane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
When 14-year old Travis Aspenall and his little brother Damien find the body of a murdered young woman “tossed away” in a wash near their home in northern Arizona, their discovery sets in motion an investigation to find her killer.

From the first page, the reader has to adjust to a story written in the first person, but from three different first-person perspectives. There’s Travis, the young teen who finds Jody’s body. Next is Nate, Travis’s much older brother, who is in love and lust with Jody
Catherine Woodman
Sep 27, 2014 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it
Since the midsummer I have been letting 'The New Yorker' and 'The Week' dictate what I will read next, and this was one that I would never have found without them. On a 3,000 mile round trip car ride I populated my public library hold list with this being one of the results.

The book is a murder mystery of sorts. I am a life long reader of the genre, and would say I read about four or five for every book of heftier intellectual material year in and year out. So I wasn't upset by the book opening
Monica Lane
Aug 14, 2015 Monica Lane rated it liked it
I read this book because it was about the area where I live. Big mistake. While the author mentions familiar places there are some things that are just way out of place. Without being familiar with the area it may have been more enjoyable. The storyline was good, but the characters not so great. I did like the ending, and the chapter where the non-resolution of the murder is explained. Not sure why certain characters were developed while others weren't. Too many unresolved components to the ...more
Faye Ridpath
Mar 15, 2014 Faye Ridpath rated it liked it
I received this book for free from Goodreads First Reads.

Two boys stumble upon a dead body of a woman.

I believe the mystery of what happened to her and who did it is secondary to being a book about relationships.

I did enjoy reading this book until the end.

I don't feel it was ever adequately explained exactly what happened to this woman, and that disappointed me.

I feel I never got the payoff.
Socorro
Jun 06, 2015 Socorro rated it it was ok
I dislike the style of having a different character narrate each chapter. When you have such a short book, it gives little time to really examine a character IMO. Then again, this was another "no ending book" seeming written with the sole purpose of being bought in bulk for book clubs.
I don't mind discussing great books. However, I am over reading meh books, with half developed plots, that are supposedly so in order to provoke lively discussion over wine and cheese.
J.D. Zahniser
Aug 07, 2014 J.D. Zahniser rated it really liked it
I'm new to this author and I was quite impressed with her fresh take on the mystery novel. She keeps a fast pace with short chapters, following several different narratives, and succeeds in rendering all these characters distinctly. A quick read but author gives the reader lots to think about afterward.
Bayneeta
Apr 20, 2014 Bayneeta rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Chose the book for its setting, and Winslow and northern Arizona are important to this story. Told in alternating chapters from the point of view of three different characters. There is a murder and one of the narrator's is the local sheriff and another is a suspect, but this is much more a book about relationships than a mystery or suspense novel. Psychological suspense, perhaps.
Farmer
Feb 04, 2015 Farmer added it
Secrets and half-truths fill the air in a small town where everyone seems to know everyone's business. Love rejected and lives reflecting on unfulfilled possibilities make for an intimate but tragic story.
Mia Siegert
Sep 24, 2014 Mia Siegert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
The amazing thing about Judy Troy would be her endings. Unlike most writers, she has the fearlessness to do the ending that the story needs. The moment of truth is absolutely heartbreaking. Would recommend to anyone.
Leah
Oct 12, 2014 Leah rated it it was ok
there was some lovely writing in this but the book overall didn't work for me. is it a mystery? a family drama? a coming of age book? the three narrators didn't seem real, maybe the teenager, and i'm not sure why at least one of them wasn't female.
cati
Jan 15, 2016 cati rated it liked it
I picked this up at the library, was in the mood for a mystery. I thought it had a good premise, but I kept wanting more intrigue and less plodding. It just never gained momentum for me.
Judith Lott
Apr 10, 2014 Judith Lott rated it really liked it
This is an interesting story line, but it left me wondering what really happened to the young woman who died. Thanks to Goodreads for the opportunity to read the book.
Cheryl
Jun 19, 2015 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Not a simple murder, told through the eyes of multiple male narrators. You are left at the end with a significant clue, wondering.
Mary
Nov 21, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing
this is one of those books that get under your skin, and stay there. It affects your day as you know it. Hard to explain.
Mira Shaw
Mira Shaw rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2014
Catherine Daley
Catherine Daley rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2015
Alexandre Lajoie
Alexandre Lajoie rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2014
Ben
Ben rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2014
scherzo♫
scherzo♫ rated it did not like it
Oct 17, 2015
Tim
Tim rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was ok
Jul 05, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Donna B
Donna B rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Liz
Liz rated it it was ok
Feb 12, 2015
Anne Penrosa
Anne Penrosa rated it liked it
May 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Two Soldiers (Grens & Sundkvist #6)
  • Ice Shear (June Lyons, #1)
  • A Tightly Raveled Mind
  • Fire Flowers
  • Bone Dust White
  • Shocking True Story
  • God's Child: The Origin of Fear
  • The Cost of Lunch, Etc.: Short Stories
  • And Grant You Peace (Joe Burgess #4)
  • Dark Reservations
  • Country of Unknown Origin
  • Shot in the Back
  • Cold Tuscan Stone (Rick Montoya Italian Mystery, #1)
  • Somewhere West of Roads
  • Corrupt Practices: A Parker Stern Novel (Parker Stern, #1)
  • The Madness of July