Start by marking “Show and Tell: How Everybody Can Make Extraordinary Presentations” as Want to Read:
Show and Tell: How Everybody Can Make Extraordinary Presentations

Show and Tell: How Everybody Can Make Extraordinary Presentations

“If I tell you the truth, if I tell it with a story,and if I tell that story with pictures, I can keepyou glued to your seat. Let me show you how.”

For the vast majority of us, giving a presentation isan extremely difficult and nerve-wracking process, whetherwe’re in a one-on-one meeting, a conference room with adozen strangers, or a lecture hall in front of thousands.
Bu
Published April 10th 2014 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about Show and Tell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Show and Tell

Mike
Apr 02, 2014 Mike rated it liked it
This book covers all the basics of giving presentations -- creating a 'story' to communicate your ideas, effective use of Av (the focus is on Powerpoint type slidesows) and general tips on combating nerves and preparing for public speaking.

I am a curmudgeon about PowerPoint presentations -- I've seen (and given) enough bad presentations and lectures to know that the Powerpoints can be a distraction to the audience and a crutch for the speaker. However Roam gives a lot of really good advice abou
Terri Lynn
Apr 28, 2014 Terri Lynn rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
Imagine a book without much text that is like a 260 page PowerPoint presentation and you'll instantly understand what I am talking about here. Yes, it is good to reach your audience with stories/anecdotes and with visuals when doing a presentation and having a PowerPoint visual available as you speak to your audience can be helpful but frankly, having a book that is nothing but a 260-page PowerPoint is more annoying than anything. It is like trying to communicate with a non-verbal child who can ...more
James Perkins
Jul 31, 2014 James Perkins rated it it was ok
I bought this book because I teach presentation skills professionally, and I thought I could find some useful tips that I might not be aware of yet. Dan Roam has written a book that is a lot like a presentation. Each page looks like a slide, and I suspect much of it has been part of his own presentation skills training. It is clear, easy to read, and uses a little humour. He has his own way to express some of the ideas that go together to make up a presentation, and what he says about structure ...more
Steve Slaunwhite
Jan 19, 2016 Steve Slaunwhite rated it really liked it
We writers need to think more visually these days, which is why I read this book. It's brilliant. It not only got me thinking more visually -- in a strategic way -- but also boosted my confidence when it comes to sketching out my visual ideas. I'll never be an artist, that's for sure. But using Dan's techniques, I'm already getting better at basic drawing. My goal is to draw well enough to clearly communicate my ideas for visuals to graphic designers.
Dante
Jan 22, 2015 Dante rated it liked it
I'd probably rate this a 3.5 if half-stars were possible. A lot of Roam's advice seemed familiar to me, though I picked up a few good tips. In any case, this book is a fast, engaging read -- light on text, a great emphasis on drawings/graphics. Anyone looking for some guidance on how to improve their presentation skills would do well to breeze through this book.
Alistair
Nov 06, 2016 Alistair rated it really liked it
Good scheme for putting together and delivering better presentations. Having read a fair bit and presenting for nearly a decade to large audiences, the messages in this book are not new but are nicely packaged. I'd strongly recomend this to anyone heading to their first scientific conference (with a grain of salt).

Use stories, simple pictures are better, audience are good at smelling truth, first 2 min are critical for engaging the audience (and how to)... all good stuff.
Arganka Yahya
Oct 03, 2016 Arganka Yahya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good short read with sound advice in giving presentation.
Louis Prosperi
May 23, 2014 Louis Prosperi rated it really liked it
An inspiring and insightful guide to creating effective and engaging presentations.

This book explores the art and craft of creating "extraordinary" presentations, that, in the author's words "help others see what we see." To do this, we need to:

1. Tell the Truth
2. Tell it with a Story
3. Tell the Story with Pictures

Using this as a framework, the book explores how to use Truth, Story, and Pictures in presentations so they we can change our audience in some way (either their information, their abil
Kevin
May 09, 2014 Kevin rated it really liked it
An insightful and wonderful exploration of presentations and storytelling. Anyone who makes presentations or gives reports, makes pitches, or otherwise seeks to communicate effectively in group settings should read this book. He lays out in simple and concrete terms what is needed to make a high impact presentation. He leads you step by step through thinking about why certain presentations make an impact, the structures of the different kind of presentations, the ingredients of effective ...more
Thomas Maerke
Jul 06, 2014 Thomas Maerke rated it it was amazing
This is a phenomenal book. I enjoyed reading this book so much, because of how much I learned in the process. I read lots of nonfiction, because I enjoy the reading--the subject or content. When reading this, it wasn't so much that I enjoyed the subject or content, I actually enjoyed the reading. This book is so organized that I found the organization fun. It's systematic and somehow beautiful at the same time. After finishing the book, I found myself tooling around on Dan Roam's website for a ...more
Anna
Jun 19, 2016 Anna rated it it was amazing
I am so glad to have read this. There are so many great concepts in the fundamentals of presentation making, and it is presented in a very easily understood, sometimes humorous, and very visual manner. Of course, it does not delve into more complex aspects of communicating your ideas, but it is a good start, and ever since, I think my own presentation skills have drastically improved. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone interested. Don't worry: this nonfiction is not boring and is ...more
Tracey
Jul 02, 2016 Tracey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
nonfiction; career development - great presentations boiled down to a handful of simple principles (but don't forget that you'll still need to practice). Abbreviated notes (to jog my own memory) - 1. tell the truth (talk about something you believe in with your heart & mind); 2. use a story to convey your message (make sure your presentation progresses in a way that people can easily follow, and points to a destination where you want them to go); 3. use pictures and charts (one per slide; ...more
Khaled Aljabri
Jun 11, 2014 Khaled Aljabri rated it liked it
Simple and easy to read, well-written and organized. Focus on an aspect which is little ignored by presnting books. They mostly focus on the presenting step, not how to build a compelling contet that reaches your idea to the audience.

I liked "blah blah blah" more, despite I read it more faster than this.

Recommended!
Anna
Jun 27, 2014 Anna rated it it was amazing
A simple and simply fantastic book on communicating information. Full of pictures/diagrams the book itself is a great illustration of how messages are best conveyed. Gives really practical and usable advice. Great information for anyone who wants to be a better teacher or presenter. Also a very quick read.
Matthew Batten
Aug 15, 2015 Matthew Batten rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work
Absolutely fantastic! Roam has taken the dreaded presentation and boiled it down into a few key points and explains how to tell a compelling story in an incredibly engaging way. I loved this book! I can't wait to do my next presentation!
Suzanne Ross
Feb 15, 2016 Suzanne Ross rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended by one of our Humber Librarians as a unique way to consider putting together ones PowerPoint presentations. The ideas are simple but effective, and told in cartoon fashion. I need to look it over again, then try to put it into practice.
Manolo Frias
Dec 09, 2015 Manolo Frias rated it really liked it
Shelves: presentation
If there is a minus to this book is that it's too short.

I really enjoy Dan's way of communicating with pictures. There are good ideas in this book to put into practice when preparing presentations and it can be a nice complement to Duarte's and Reynold's work.
Rebecca Coldicott
Jan 01, 2015 Rebecca Coldicott rated it really liked it
Really useful book using visuals to explain the structure, planning and delivery of great presentations to avoid death by PowerPoint!
Rich
Jun 30, 2014 Rich rated it liked it
Some interesting concepts. Not exactly what I was looking for in regards to my dual credit speech class. Will use PUMA and probably Chapter 5. I'm glad I read it though.
Michael
May 06, 2014 Michael rated it it was ok
Maybe useful for middle school or unexperienced presenters in general but more or less useless for all the others.
Erin
Aug 10, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it
Useful and entertaining. What would otherwise be pretty dry subject matter was made engaging by the visuals and simple structure - a perfect demonstration of exactly what the book is all about.
Andreu Escrivà
Jul 22, 2015 Andreu Escrivà rated it it was ok
Un llibret amb poc de suc. Si de cas, tres o quatre frases encertades, alguna idea més o menys afortunada i poca substància realment aprofitable. Es llegeix ràpid, això sí.
Vicki
Jan 14, 2015 Vicki rated it really liked it
Really good methodology for creating presentations. Read a library copy & will likely purchase my own.
Mrs. Ebarvia
Mrs. Ebarvia rated it liked it
May 02, 2015
Sara Taylor
Sara Taylor rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2015
Smitha
Smitha rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Suneel Akkineni
Suneel Akkineni rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2014
Jenifer
Jenifer rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Erin Malone
Erin Malone rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2015
Deborah
Deborah rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2014
  • The Doodle Revolution: Unlock the Power to Think Differently
  • The Art of Focused Conversation: 100 Ways to Access Group Wisdom in the Workplace
  • Visual Meetings: How Graphics, Sticky Notes & Idea Mapping Can Transform Group Productivity
  • Management Tips: From Harvard Business Review
  • I Hear You: Repair Communication Breakdowns, Negotiate Successfully, and Build Consensus... in Three Simple Steps
  • Clout: The Art and Science of Influential Web Content
  • The Sketchnote Handbook: The Illustrated Guide to Visual Note Taking
  • Visual Language for Designers: Principles for Creating Graphics that People Understand
  • Not for Bread Alone
  • Presentation Zen Design: Simple Design Principles and Techniques to Enhance Your Presentations
  • Bite Sized Marketing: Realistic Solutions For The Over Worked Librarian
  • Moments of Impact: How to Design Strategic Conversations That Accelerate Change
  • Beyond Bullet Points: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations That Inform, Motivate, and Inspire: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations That Inform, Motivate, and Inspire
  • Give Your Speech, Change the World: How To Move Your Audience to Action
  • A Designer's Research Manual: Succeed in Design by Knowing Your Clients and What They Really Need
  • Design Your Life: The Pleasures and Perils of Everyday Things