Start by marking “Missing You” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  31,918 Ratings  ·  3,128 Reviews
It's a profile, like all the others on the online dating site. But as NYPD Detective Kat Donovan focuses on the accompanying picture, she feels her whole world explode, as emotions she’s ignored for decades come crashing down on her. Staring back at her is her ex-fiancé Jeff, the man who shattered her heart—and who she hasn’t seen in 18 years.

Kat feels a spark, wondering i
Published March 18th 2014 by Dutton (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Missing You, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Charlene Duline I loved it! It went to places nobody could have predicted! It was vintage Coben and I loved it! Not one of his best, but certainly a great read!

Patrice Hoffman
Feb 11, 2014 Patrice Hoffman rated it really liked it
**SPOILER ALERT!!!** - I am the hugest fan of Harlen Coben. When I was approved for this title through Netgalley, I knew that I was in for a treat. Sure that suggests that I'm biased, but on the contrary. When Coben let's me down I let it be known!!! He can afford one bad review or two. Loyal fans like myself won't be shied away from a 2-star rating. Enough about me and my little disclaimer...

Missing You is the latest thriller by Harlen Coben. He really cranks these things out. I feel as I just
Suzanne
Apr 23, 2014 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: who, donated-owned
Loving my fabulous book talk with my uber cool Goodreads friends of late. Along the way with my many updates of this read, someone I don’t know from a bar of soap asked if they should give Mr Coben a go. Of course they should! He’s undoutably a safe bet, I don’t always rate all his books 5 stars but I do enjoy them a bloody lot!

I ripped through this one in a few days, stayed up till 1am last night to finish last night. There’d be no use trying to go to sleep before the end of this one, it was to
Jonetta

Originally posted at The Book Nympho

You can always count on several plots that will eventually converge in a Harlan Coben story. The trick is to try to unravel them and find the connections before they're revealed. This book is no different in that respect but there were some new angles.

This is the first of his stories I've read where a woman is the main character. It's even better that Kat Donovan is an NYPD detective who is haunted by her father's murder 18 years ago and the subsequent breaku
Susan
Mar 20, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing
Wow, I thought this book was one of the best I have read so far this year. I think it was so perfect for my taste because it built an amazing back story, (actually two), that kept building and really helped me to connect with the characters. Then, just when the two mysteries were on the verge of making me crazy, the rollercoaster started down on its lightening speed descent. Hold on to your hat and whatever else you brought along with you because it has an extremely exciting, explosive ending wi ...more
Andrew Smith
May 12, 2015 Andrew Smith rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-finished
I'm taking a 'life's too short' approach to books these days and on this basis I've decided it's way too short to continue with this one.

I've preached about the value I put on audiobooks before but there is a downside to this format. If the reader is good it can add value to the telling of the story but if they are bad it can ruin it completely. Now, I'm not saying Kerry Shale is a bad reader but here he uses some terrible, condescending voices to portray a number of the male characters. It's j
Robert
Apr 13, 2014 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must be one sentimental bastard. While I’d like to say, “I ain’t missing you at all.” I’d be hard-pressed to do it with a straight face. Eighteen years? No problem. But, on the other hand, life’s too short to let that much time pass. Seize the moment. That’s what I always say. Or maybe it was Sigmund or Freud or Siskel or Ebert.

MISSING YOU did have its sentimental moments. But it also contained a rather prominent criminal element, since this novel falls smack dab in the suspense/thriller categ
Nancy
Apr 22, 2014 Nancy rated it it was ok
Two and a half stars. Clearly not Coben's best. In fact--the book was not a cohesive whole. I've read pretty much everything Coben's written, and liked most of it, but this outing was an incoherent pastiche.

Let's see. You've got Kat and her father's murder and her cop buddies, all with issues. You've got the boyfriend who dumped her, mysteriously re-appeared. You've got the online dating issue. You've got nasty criminals in different flavors, committing nasty crimes in rather bizarre ways. You'v
Julie
Jun 07, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it
Missing You by Harlen Coben is a 2014 Dutton publication.

I am one of the most disorganized readers you will ever meet. I have such a hard time keeping up with series and easily lose track of what order the books should be read in, so when I have a chance to pick up a stand alone by an author who never fails to deliver, then I grab it, no questions asked.

Coben didn't let me down, and kept me riveted to the story from start to finish.

Kat's friend sets her up an account with a dating service and
Diane
Jul 06, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it
I have a weakness for Harlan Coben thrillers. Every time I pick up a Coben novel, I get gripped by the story and race through the book, ignoring everything around me.

"Missing You" was no different. It follows Kat Donovan, an NYPD detective, who is investigating the case of a missing woman, but she's also secretly trying to figure out who murdered her father almost 20 years ago. (Yes, yes, the proliferation of crime TV shows means it's become a cop trope that an officer is haunted by a parent's h
Jen
Feb 19, 2014 Jen rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Missing You

Detective Kat Donovan is persuaded to put her profile on an online-dating site. As she clicks through possible matches, she sees a familiar face. The name is not that of the man she first fell in love with, but the face convinces Kat that is the same man. From this very coincidental event, the entire plot will develop, involving missing men and women and an adaptable villain who has moved from a low-level early career to something more profitable and deadly.

What I liked: the actual my
Connie
OKAY!!!!!!!! LISTEN UP!!!!! YOU!!!!! YEA!!!! YOU!!!!! What are your plans for March 18, 2014? Well...whatever they are, forget them...ditch them....change them....You need to be first in line to buy this newest thriller from Harlan Coben.....no, seriously...I'm not kidding! This was a fantastic read!!!! I think it might be my favourite Coben yet, and I've been a mad fan for years!

Here we have a story about Kat....a NYPD detective. After a close friend signs up the single Kat for an online datin
Frances
May 21, 2015 Frances rated it liked it
3.5* The first few chapters were exceedingly slow with pointless silly dialogue. Although it was tempting to abandon, the plot finally started to develop and surprisingly it became hard to put down. Harlan Coben knows how to keep the reader on edge, and soon the pages were flying by. The main character, NYPD Detective Kat Donovan innocently checks out an online dating site,‘YouAreJustMyType.com’ looking for romance. However, romance isn’t in the cards on this website as Kat is suddenly drawn in ...more
Bethan Watson
Feb 12, 2017 Bethan Watson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller-mystery
I can't believe I had never read a Harlan Coben novel before, where have I been?!
This is definitely one of the best thriller books I have read in a long time.
Chelsey the crazy cat lady
oh my gosh. so intense!!!! few twists in this book and totally did not see the end happening. totally would recommend if you love a good crime and thriller
Liz

I am a recent convert to audiobooks. And I've discovered that what makes a good written book doesn't necessarily work as an audiobook. Audiobooks need to be fast paced enough to keep your attention without bogging you down in detail. Harlan Coben succeeds with fun plot lines, wonderful turns of phrase and interesting characters. This one involves two initially disparate storylines. In fact, I found myself scratching my head trying to figure out how they were going to come together.

Cat is a very
Mary Beth
Mar 26, 2014 Mary Beth rated it did not like it
I am usually a fan of Harlan Coben's books, both the Bolitar series and the books outside that series. There were far too many plots in this book involving far too many characters; all felt unfinished and all characters felt undeveloped. Each story/plot was quite interesting on its own, and I would have enjoyed a fuller exploration of each one. Each character was intriguing, and in would have greatly enjoyed the back story of each character. What was Titus like as a child, as a teenager? What wa ...more
Lisa B.
Feb 07, 2014 Lisa B. rated it it was amazing
My Thoughts

NYPD Detective Kat Donovan has a lot going on in this story. She is still haunted by the murder of her father that happened many years ago. A friend gives her a membership to an online dating site, where she finds hew ex-fiance. A young boy comes to her because his Mom has gone missing. How could all of this possibly tie together?

I always get excited when I first open a Harlan Coben book . I know I’m going to be in for an exciting ride and this book did not disappoint me. There was a
Holly
Feb 17, 2014 Holly rated it liked it

This book started off very poorly for me. The first chapter made me want to not even read the rest of the book. The main character, Kat Donovan, is suppossed to be this tough as nails NYPD detective who comes from a family of cops. She is reduced to a weak, pathetic, lovelorn, "damaged" female right away. I just kind of felt that the author did not do a very good job of writing a convincing female lead. This is the first book I've read by Harlan Coben so I don't know if he has written strong fem
Carol
Jan 20, 2014 Carol rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars. Zipped right thru this latest tome by Harlan Coben that is full of mystery, suspense, murder and surprises. Super fast-paced with interesting characters (gotta love Aqua), and even a very brief tie-in to Win and Lock-Horne Investments (from the Myron Bolitar series). Loved it! Highly recommend!
Corey
Oct 19, 2016 Corey rated it it was amazing
Harlan Coben once again doing what he knows best! A great, modern-day edge-of-your-seat thriller with many twists and turns, and just as I thought I had it all figured out in the end it went in a completely different direction, definitely not the direction I was expecting! After reading this book it gave me second thoughts about online dating, which I'm sure a lot of people who've read this book probably feel the same way.

Missing You is about Kat Donovan, an NYPD Detective who has recently joine
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life

4 Stars!

I have to start this review by saying that I am a HUGE Harlan Coben fan. I have waited in line with my pile of books to get his signature. I have devoured his books and have read every single book that he has written. I know that I expect a whole lot out of a Harlan Coben book. This was a great book but it was not as great as some of the books that Mr. Coben.

One of my fangirl moments with Harlan Coben
One of my fangirl moments with Harlan Coben

Kat Donovan is a NYPD detective. He
Janie Johnson
Oct 11, 2016 Janie Johnson rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
I have been trying to catch up on my A-Z challenge for the year and chose this one for M. I love Harlan Coben's writing a lot so this was a real treat for me since it has been awhile for me reading one of his books.

Synopsis
Denise
Mar 18, 2014 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
4.5 stars.

I admit that I haven't read everything Harlan Coben has written, but I've read quite a few of his books and I think this one was my favorite. I won't summarize the story -- that's already been done several times in other reviews.

What I loved about this book:

-multiple plots that kept me guessing
-very suspenseful, yet very believable
-villains that were creepy beyond belief from the moment we met them
-the nod to Lock-Horne investments (I see what he did there...)

And finally, I LOVED the
Ed
Sep 01, 2013 Ed rated it it was amazing
NYPD detective Kat Donovan's friend signs her up on a dating website where she recognizes her ex-fiance she hasn't seen or heard from in eighteen years. Her curiosity peaked, Kat is soon forced to rethink long held beliefs and assumptions while probing a missing person case from another state. This is Harlan Coben at the absolute top of his game. I highly recommend it all my GR friends. It might very well be the best crime fiction you read this year!
Maria Espadinha
May 16, 2016 Maria Espadinha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sinto a Tua Falta

Também eu! Sniiiffff, Xuiiiifffff (tenho ideia que era assim que se chorava nas bandas desenhadas da minha infância)

Nota: este "Também eu" refere-se obviamente à estória que findou!
nikolaos
Nov 07, 2016 nikolaos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Χωρίς να το πω αριστούργημα , το βρήκα ένα πολύ καλό αστυνομικό βιβλίο, δεν έχω κάτι αρνητικό να του προσάψω, οπότε και γιατί να μην του δώσω πέντε αστέρια;
Ένα βιβλίο που θα το χαρακτήριζα χορταστικό, γεμάτο. Σου κεντρίζει το ενδιαφέρον από την αρχή και συνεχώς σου δίνει και κάτι καινούργιο και δεν μένει στάσιμο.
Αυτό που θα ήθελα απλά να πω, είναι ότι το οπισθόφυλλο επικεντρώνεται στην ιστοσελίδα γνωριμιών , όπου η πρωταγωνίστρια βρίσκει το προφίλ του πρώην αρραβωνιαστικού της, αλλά ουσιαστικά
Xana
Apr 28, 2016 Xana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Desisto...
Cheguei à página 140, mas não me agarrou e não vou esforçar mais. Foi o primeiro livro do autor que me desiludiu
Rosangela
Jul 14, 2015 Rosangela rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery thrillers fans

I need to say that I'm not a huge fan of Coben, but I enjoyed reading this book very much.
I couldn’t put it down until I finished the entire book. (Read in Portuguese)
lenaireen
... einer meiner neuen Lieblingsautoren! Konnte nur 4 Sterne geben, da ich denke, es gibt noch viel bessere Bücher von Harlan Coben, obwohl DAS wirklich schon der Hammer war!
The Behrg
DNF - 80% through and only wish I'd set it aside sooner. Coben's novels are typically hit or miss for me, this one was like swinging at a baseball with a golf club.
Goodreads Librari...: Audiobook details 3 17 Mar 13, 2016 01:46PM
Goodreads Librari...: Add/correct details 1 20 Mar 08, 2016 01:04PM
Something Old, So...: April 2015 - Missing You by Harlan Coben 2 17 Jun 06, 2015 12:05AM
Catfish 1 24 Mar 29, 2015 12:25PM
Mansfield Public ...: The"Missing You" review by Ann Pedro 1 18 Aug 07, 2014 06:06PM
Harlan Corban 12 57 Jul 30, 2014 08:31AM
How does a cop have a Ferrari? 7 96 Jul 07, 2014 04:39PM
  • Fear Nothing (Detective D.D. Warren, #7)
  • Suspicion
  • Broken Promise (Promise Falls Trilogy, #1)
  • They're Watching
  • The Night Visitor
  • Killer (Alex Delaware, #29)
  • The Dead Will Tell (Kate Burkholder, #6)
  • Field of Prey (Lucas Davenport, #24)
  • In the Blood
  • The Gods of Guilt (Mickey Haller, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #23)
  • Cop Town
  • The Keeper (Dismas Hardy, #15)
  • Suspect (Scott James & Maggie, #1)
  • One Kick (Kick Lannigan, #1)
  • All Day and a Night (Ellie Hatcher, #5)
  • Let it Burn (Alex McKnight, #10)
  • Blackout
With over 60 million books in print worldwide, Harlan Coben’s last seven consecutive novels, MISSING YOU, SIX YEARS, STAY CLOSE, LIVE WIRE, CAUGHT, LONG LOST and HOLD TIGHT all debuted at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list and lists around the world. His books are published in 43 languages around the globe.

Coben is the winner of the Edgar Award, Shamus Award and Anthony Award – the first aut
More about Harlan Coben...

“I don’t regret the things I’ve done. I regret the things I didn’t do when I had the chance.” 29 likes
“The truth may be better than lies... But it doesn't always set you free.” 16 likes