Start by marking “The Insanity of Obedience: Walking with Jesus in Tough Places” as Want to Read:
The Insanity of Obedience: Walking with Jesus in Tough Places

The Insanity of Obedience: Walking with Jesus in Tough Places (Insanity)

Wise Sheep Among the Wolves

All Christian disciples have one thing in common: as they carry the gospel across the ocean and across the street, persecution will become the norm for those who choose to follow Jesus. How believers respond in the face of persecution reveals everything about their level of faith and obedience.

The Insanity of Obedience is a bold challenge to glob
Published January 1st 2014 by B Books (first published December 9th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Insanity of Obedience, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Insanity of Obedience

M.V. Freeman
Aug 23, 2016 M.V. Freeman rated it it was amazing
This is a second book by Nik Ripkin, the first one The Insanity of God; I read both by audio which was done by Joe Geoffrey (whose cadence and voice was perfect for this)--documented his journey as a Missionary from the darkest days in Somalia, where he and his family almost broke. It continued to his travels of visiting and interviewing those in the persecuted church- to find out if God was still moving, and what he found changed his life. God is still moving in ways that we in our first world ...more
Penny
Jul 05, 2014 Penny rated it liked it
If Nik Ripkin’s The Insanity of God got us to open our eyes to God’s movement and the amazing faith of those living in places of severe persecution, then The Insanity of Obedience is its natural follow-up. It is basically a practical primer about how to actually go forth and live and do God’s work in such places. Awareness followed by action.

Ripkin refers to some of the stories he laid out in more detail in The Insanity of God, but uses them mainly to illustrate other concepts like setting organ
Carol Arnold
Jan 11, 2016 Carol Arnold rated it really liked it
This book was a hard read. It was not what I was expecting. After reading The Insanity of God, I was expecting more of the same kind of stories. This book, however, was more of an instruction manual. The blurb on the back cover said, "...as they carry the gospel across the ocean and across the street..." So I was expecting a two-fold challenge; a challenge to go on missions and a challenge to share the gospel at home. It was much more a book about missions. I would highly recommend this book to ...more
Julie
Jan 25, 2014 Julie rated it liked it
This book was tough to digest, and the author acknowledged that up front. It challenges commonly accepted missions strategies and cultural perspectives. I'm not sure if I agree with all his points, but it definitely raised a few issues worth pondering
Robert Sutherland
May 08, 2017 Robert Sutherland rated it really liked it
This is a challenging and eye-opening book--that is badly in need of an editor. There were at least a half dozen typos and some incorrect facts (Judas betrayed Jesus for 40 pieces of silver?).

Nik Ripken has interviewed believers from Muslim, Hindu, and Buddhist backgrounds over the last decade, and these are his conclusions for how to best reach them with the gospel. I would love to hear the interviews, but we read the fruits of his conclusions. The path to Christianity from different religious
Eric Bouchard
Jun 16, 2017 Eric Bouchard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After seeing the movie done for The Insanity of God, I really wanted to read the book. At the time I bought it, Amazon had a great deal on Nik Ripken's foillowup, The Insanity of Obedience. I decided to get it as well.

I am glad I did.

This book is seriously challenging to read, especially for Western believers. As you go through it, you will find yourself questioning no only your faith but how you share it with others, both in areas of persecution and in your own back yard.

I cannot recommend thi
Annette
Nov 18, 2014 Annette rated it it was amazing
Source: Free copy from B and H Books in exchange for a review.
Summary:
All Christians are called to,
Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age. Amen. Matthew 28:19-20. NKJV.
I believe that most Christians think it is only a select few who are called to "Go therefore." The thought of leaving our com
Darien
Mar 15, 2017 Darien rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

Best, most challenging book about living for Christ and his kingdom I've ever read. This is a dangerous book to read. (On several levels) Encouraging and extremely convicting and challenging. Read it with a highlighter, Kleenex, and Prayer journal.
Anne Marie
Jan 01, 2017 Anne Marie rated it it was ok
I was not a fan of this book. The writer made it seem like following Jesus is all about world missions. I can certainly appreciate that view point but God has not called everyone into world missions. We are to support the spread of the gospel and the making of disciples but I was hoping this book would speak more about what the life of obedience looks like from the perspective of faith and lifestyle vs. vocation. I was very disappointed as I had heard many great things about this book and author ...more
Brian Bennett
Feb 16, 2017 Brian Bennett rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
Ripkin speaks powerful spiritual truths in this book. I listened to The Insanity of God late last year and was refreshed by the power of God in the world. Applying some of the principles he experienced and learned about was harder.

The Insanity of Obedience isn't really a sequel or a companion, even...it's parallel. IoG spoke to the personal stories of believers as they shared with Nik on his tours. IoO speaks to churches and, more importantly, the individual, as they wrestle with working for th
Todd Luallen
May 13, 2016 Todd Luallen rated it it was amazing
Probably the hardest Christian book I've ever read. Nik doesn't pull any punches in this book, and if you're a Christian in the west, or even a missionary sent by the west, you will likely read this book with a twinge of guilt.
I enjoy reading books about missionaries and Christians overseas because they are a great encouragement to live a life more devoted to Christ. The last book by Nik, The Insanity of God, was one of my all time favorites because it tells many, many stories of persecuted Chr
Matthew J. Slisher
This should be required reading for all serious missions students. I would add this one observation, however: In Ripken's attempts at driving his points home, there are points where it seems he contradicts himself. For instance, especially in the first part of the book, he emphasizes the point that persecution ought to be the normal experience of every Christian. It is not something to be avoided or defended against. However, he then goes on to take a very, very careful line in defining what tru ...more
Kayla
Feb 15, 2017 Kayla rated it it was amazing
This is not a quick read. This is a "meat" read -- it takes a while to digest it, in the very best of ways. Thought provoking with great discussion questions (I used them as journal prompts!), I plan on keeping this book on my shelf long term and referring back to it. If you want to better understand persecution and how God uses it to grow His church, this is an excellent and thorough read on the subject.

"Persecution was simply to be expected for followers of Jesus. And God's ability to interven
Curtis Taylor
This is another powerful book about the lessons learn from one of God chosen servants. The points his family has learned from a life in which they live are a message that every child of God should know. We live in a polished world with set ideals on what one should do for each occasion that we encounter through our Christian life. What if, some on our ideals are wrong? Interesting point. Can we be wrong on how we serve God and His mission for all of us to preach the Gospel to the Ends of the Ear ...more
Nancy
Mar 02, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing
What Obedience to God Can Mean

Living in a country where the right to worship is protected, it's hard to fathom how different it is in countries where Christians are persecuted for their beliefs. However, what these Christians face is not so different from what Christ tells his followers in the New Testament. He warns his disciples that when they go out to spread the word of God's love, they will face persecution. Being a follower of Jesus in many countries can mean exactly that.

The book is a ch
Craig
Feb 12, 2017 Craig rated it really liked it
Challenges most everything I know
Jillian
Aug 13, 2016 Jillian rated it liked it
This book is interesting but for me a bit too opinionated. I disagree with some of the authors ideas. As someone who lives in a Muslim country and also sees the obstacles both workers and national believers face. I think the author would have done better to not seem so insistent and careful to not make his opinions or those of national believers seem to be the only possible answer. I work around many workers who use some of these ideas. They are our friends. I read this book in hopes of understa ...more
John
Oct 04, 2016 John rated it really liked it
If "The Insanity of God" was mostly a memoir, "The Insanity of Obedience" is more of a manual -- just as the subtitle says, how to walk with Jesus in tough places. The author has been in some of those tough places and talked to those who have persevered in many other situations. If there's a single take-home, it's that the same God who was alive and active in the Book of Acts remains alive and active today and continues to look out for His people in miraculous ways.
This is a convicting and comp
Brittany
Jan 31, 2014 Brittany rated it liked it
I won this book free through Goodreads first reads giveaway.
Although at times it could be intense it was a good book. My friend had started reading it but put it down because they said it was too radical. I disagree and think they missed out on a lot of good stuff that was throughout.

The snippets of personal stories can be inspirational and show a side of things that we haven't seen or heard of before.

The questions at the end of chapters are occasionally useful and helpful in making the infor
Jacob Stevens
Jan 22, 2017 Jacob Stevens rated it really liked it
After reading Ripken's first book, The Insanity of God, I was expecting more stories from his travels to interview persecuted believers. However, this book was more practical. It was more of a theology and how we, in the west, should and could live in light of the persecution around the world. Ripken challenges us to examine what is and is not persecution and why or why not we are experiencing persecution. It was a very helpful and challenging book but tended to drag a little bit at some points.
Jess
Feb 05, 2015 Jess rated it really liked it
I was very challenged by this book. I appreciate the work that has gone into the writing of this book. Much of the challenges/barriers, etc. come from the Middle East and my experience and work with Islam is quite different so I disagree with him on many of the details he presents but that makes the book an even better discussion piece. If you agree with everything, what is there to discuss?
I would recommend this book for any Christian who is serious about their faith and others coming to know t
Rex
Feb 10, 2016 Rex rated it it was amazing
There are books that encourage you, others that inspire you and still others that convict you, but rarely is there a book that will do all three and drive you back to the cross in repentance for your fear of man. The Insanity of Obedience is just such a book. I wept repeatedly as I read the stories of my brothers and sisters and the things that they endure for following Jesus, while I live in comfort and freedom, and won't cross the street to tell my neighbor the same good news! Read, repent and ...more
Tina at Mommynificent
Jul 09, 2016 Tina at Mommynificent rated it really liked it
This book raises some wonderful provocative questions and is likely to make you think about your faith in ways you may never have before. I felt like poor editing let this book down - many times as I read, I felt like the author kept repeating inconsequential points and then saying something really important and meaningful almost in passing and not fleshing those big ideas out. It kind of drove me crazy. But there are some big ideas here and this book is very thought-provoking.
Deborah Wells
Jun 04, 2014 Deborah Wells rated it it was amazing
This book was a great follow up to The Insanity of God. It challenges the methods that have been used in the past for doing missions. It gives solid information on how to reach the unbelievers and disciple new believers in regions around the world where there is religious persecution. It challenged me personally to think about what I am doing to reach people for Christ across the street and around the world.
Kindra
Jan 13, 2017 Kindra rated it really liked it
Ripken's former book, The Insanity of God ranks as one of the best books I've ever read. This follow-up book as well, is a huge wake-up call. Nik's humility and reflection on his own misunderstandings about missions and persecution is challenging and insightful. These two books are ones I wish all my believing friends would read.
Rose
Aug 03, 2014 Rose rated it really liked it
This book is a definite must read after reading The Insanity of God. My faith and understanding of persecution as a follower of Christ has never been more challenged. These books will change your life.
Marlo Edwards
Jan 23, 2015 Marlo Edwards rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Very Educational & Powerful Book

When we live in our own little space, we are clueless as to what others experience. A powerful book to open peoples eyes to a world very few will actually experience.
Cathy Biggerstaff
Nov 30, 2015 Cathy Biggerstaff rated it liked it
I had expectations based on Ripken's first book, The Insanity of God. Where the first book was engagin and full of personal stories, this book read more like a textbook. The information was good, but it wasn't what I was expecting after reading the first book.
Sydney Herron
Jun 10, 2016 Sydney Herron rated it really liked it
If you do want your heart to be challenged to serve the local church through missions; then this is the book you should be reading. If you want to continue living a life of luxury and of comfort, this is likely the book that you need to read; but perhaps not the book you are looking for.
Codi
Oct 19, 2014 Codi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-library
This is a challenging and hard read just like he warns in the very beginning. My prayer is that I not treat this book like so many others I've read but am challenged to actually put its principles into place in my own life where I am now.
  • Finish the Mission: Bringing the Gospel to the Unreached and Unengaged
  • T4T A Discipleship Revolution
  • Which None Can Shut
  • The Meeting of the Waters: 7 Global Currents That Will Propel the Future Church
  • Power Evangelism
  • Dispatches from the Front: On Gospel Transformation, Suffering, and Witness
  • How Then Shall We Worship?: Biblical Principles to Guide Us Today
  • The Company We Keep: In Search of Biblical Friendship
  • Missionary Methods: St. Paul's or Ours?
  • No Longer a Slumdog: Bringing Hope to Children in Crisis
  • Smith Wigglesworth on Faith
  • Letters to a Young Pastor
  • Essential Church?: Reclaiming a Generation of Dropouts
  • The Truest Thing about You: Identity, Desire, and Why It All Matters
  • The Holy Spirit (The Gospel Coalition Booklets)
  • Made For His Pleasure: Ten Benchmarks of a Vital Faith
  • Gotta Have It!: Freedom from Wanting Everything Right Here, Right Now
  • Fresh Faith: What Happens When Real Faith Ignites God's People
Nik Ripken is the world's leading expert on the persecuted church in Muslim contexts. He is a missions veteran of 30 years, having served primarily in North Africa and the Middle East. He is the author of The Insanity of God and the new book The Insanity of Obedience. He and his wife have done extensive research on the persecuted church, and on Muslim background believers, in approximately 72 coun ...more
More about Nik Ripken...

Insanity (2 books)
  • The Insanity of God: A True Story of Faith Resurrected

“Your fear is the greatest tool you will ever give to Satan. Overcoming your fear is your greatest tool against Satan.” 5 likes
“Let us be clear; the will of God is not always the safest place to be, but it is the only place to be.” 1 likes