And Then There Were None (Ten Little Indians)

And Then There Were None (Ten Little Indians)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  222,930 ratings  ·  7,929 reviews
First, there were ten; a curious assortment of strangers summoned as weekend guests to a private island off the coast of Devon. Their host, an eccentric millionaire unknown to all of them, is nowhere to be found. All that the guests have in common is a wicked past they're unwilling to reveal; and a secret that will seal their fate. For each has been marked for murder. One...more
Published July 3rd 1980 by Pocket (first published 1939)

Nataliya

This lovely mystery book is first and foremost about the administration of the long-overdue justice, right? At least that's what the mastermind behind it all believes.

But the question is - who has the right to decide what justice is? And who is to decide what punishment serves the crime? And is perceived justice at all costs the ultimate goal, or is it the frequently pointless work of a maniac? As a matter of fact, what is justice after all?

I think the story of this book (the one that may win th...more
Kinga
Before I begin I would like to apologise for my use of the N word in this review.
It is necessary, I promise.

This book was originally published in UK under a charming title of "Ten Little Niggers". When it came to the US version in the 40's someone decided that 'Ten Little Niggers' is not the most marketable title for a book so they changed it to 'Ten Little Indians' (as it was still ok to call Native Americans Indians then).
Only years after someone decided that neither 'Niggers', nor 'Indians'...more
Alejandro
Extraordinary and gripping novel!

I knew that the best way to start reading the literary work by Agatha Christie was choosing her most known book. And There were none is the best-selling mystery novel of all time with 100 million of copies, and the fifth book in the list comprehending all genres. That is something to give to Agatha Christie the respect that she deserves.

Initially this novel on UK was titled Ten Little Niggers, only because the original nursery rhyme was called that but it was obv...more
Moira Russell
I admit I am a late, reluctant and suspicious convert to Christie. I avoided her studiously as an adolescent, because dozens and dozens of her paperbacks were always on sale with equally cheap indistinguishable romances and other 'women's books,' and I wanted no part of those. I read Chandler, not Christie; Hammett, not Sayers; James, not Marsh. I even read a few Spillane books, for Chrissakes, at a friend's urging (UGH), but still no Christie. Those endless TV adaptations, with the dotty Miss M...more
mark monday
You Chose Your Own Adventure!

You are a man, you are a woman; you are judge, jury, and executioner. You are surrounded by murderers and assholes. Kill ‘em all! Then kill yourself. Your adventure is over.

If you would like to start your life anew, choose
Halfino Berry
Nov 17, 2011 Halfino Berry rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Shelves: mystery
I read it many years ago, during my junior high (or before?), loved it, and consider it as one of Christie's best writing.

You won't find Poirot or Miss Marple in it, but as her other books are usually related to some popular rhymes, this one is related with '10 Little Indians' (which is the other title for this book).

Alternately, you will have these ten people with the dark past isolated in an island. One by one, each of them were killed. You may guess who the killer was while turning page over...more
Rehab suliman
لم يخطئ النقاد حين صنفوا هذه الرائعة من أكثر روايات أجاثا دقة وادهاشاً .. انهمكت في قراءتها وأنهيتها رغماً عني سريعا للفضول الشديد الذي ألم بي لمعرفة النهاية الغير متوقعه أبداً .. يدهشني في اجاثا دقتها في وصف المشاهد لدرجة أني أتخيل نفسي في موقع الحدث .. ان أردت أن تجرب قراءة الروايات البوليسية فهذه الرواية هي الأجدر بأن تكون البداية لك
Mohammed Arabey
يجب ان اعترف ان ضيق افقي هو مامنعني من بدء القراءه في عالم اجاثا كريستي
فمنذ صغري لم تكن تبهرني اغلفه قصصها المترجمه للعربيه
كما ان معرفه والدي لافلامها بل وقراءه والدتي لروايتها منذ صغرها جعلني اشعر انها قصص صار التشويق فيها "موضه قديمه" وبالتاكيد الغازهاستكون واضحه لي
ناهيك عن مقوله "لابد انه الخادم هو من فعلها..انها كقصص اجاثا كريستي" جعلتني
متشككا ان الجميع يعرف ان الحل الابعد هو الأصح كما عودتهم اجاثا كريستي
فلماذا اقرأ لها؟..لم يعد هناك شئ
description

عشر عساكر صغار ذهبوا الي العشاء
اختنق احدهم ..ثم تبقي
Emily May
I'm a big lover of Agatha Christie, she has written some fantastic murder mysteries and her stories never get tiring. But this is the one that just comes out on top every time.

It partly, and quite amusingly, reminds me of that old American murder mystery in Sunset Beach. Basically, they're the only ones on this island and someone is killing them off one by one in accordance with the Ten Little Indians rhyme . And I swear I never saw it coming, and I'm usually very good at it. It's just a very cl...more
Madeline
“Ten little soldier boys went out to dine; One choked his little self and then there were nine.

Nine little soldier boys sat up very late; One overslept himself and then there were eight.

Eight little soldier boys travelling in Devon; One said he'd stay there and then there were seven.

Seven little soldier boys chopping up sticks; One chopped himself in halves and then there were six.

Six little soldier boys playing with a hive; A bumblebee stung one and then there were five.

Five little soldier boys...more
Colleen Venable
Made the mistake of starting this on the train ride home just now. Now it's 2am and HOLY MOLY DOES THIS BOOK HOLD UP! Was my favorite book in 5th grade and read it a ton of times then. I even know who the killer is and I'm still at the edge of my seat (or maybe more appropriately edge of my bed, under the covers with a booklight) Lordie. Someone pry this out of my hands and make me sleep!
Buthy ful
ربما لم أقرأ لأحد كما قرأت لأجاثا كريستي وليس لأنها تكتب في الغموض والقصص البوليسية، ولكن لأنها تضيف دائماً البعد الإنساني لشخصياتها، وتضمن الصفحات آراءها في العدل والسياسة والحب والصراع بين الخير والشر..

هذه الرواية هي واحدة من أكثر من ثمانين كتبتها في الأدب البوليسي، وهي في رأيي مثل الدرة على التاج، فشخصياتها مصقولة وواضحة، وأحداثها متسلسلة. والتسلسل الزمني في الرواية حين تأخذنا الشخصيات في بحر الذكريات، يجعل القراءة مليئة بالإثارة.

أنصح بقراءتها لمحبي قصص الغموض

ابتلعت رنجة حمراء أحدهم فبقي منهم ثلاثة

ثلاثة هنود...more
Heather
Apr 17, 2007 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery buffs
A group of strangers is invited to a deserted island by a mysterious host they do not know. When they arrive they immediately
1. dislike each other
2. figure out that no one knows who the host is
3. discern that each person is hiding a dark secret
4. realize they were all blackmailed into coming
Then one by one, the guests begin to disappear. A short verse about 10 Little Indians appears at each crime scene. Those remaining frantically try to figure out what is going on.

This is my all-time favorite...more
Manny
My friend Amelie and I used this book as half of our corpus when we wrote our 1990 paper, An Implementable Semantics for Comparative Constructions . We spent several days combing through the text, extracting and categorizing every single occurrence of a comparative construction. So you'll appreciate that I know what I'm talking about when I say it's better than most murder mysteries.
Jason
Jun 02, 2008 Jason rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans, aspiring screenwriters, everyone
I first read Christie a few weeks ago when I completed “Murder on the Orient Express”. It blew me away, and I knew I would have to read more. “And Then There Were None” was a logical choice since it is so famous. My local library had a copy available for me.
I do not think I have ever read through a book that quickly. It was very short, but very exciting! Agatha Christie does not disappoint in presenting not only a mystery that I did not figure out until the truth was told to me, but an engagin...more
Tatiana
Dec 26, 2009 Tatiana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tatiana by: all mystery lovers
I remember this story from a fabulous Russian movie adaptation and while reading it for the first time, I caught myself constantly thinking: Oh, how I wish not to know the ending! This was a truly great book which was much more than a simple mystery, but rather a psychological thriller and an examination of criminal mind. Rightfully Agatha Christie's best.

Reading challenge: #30 2 of 2.
David "proud member of Branwen's adventuring party"
It's been a long time since I read this book...I was in my pre-teen years at the time! Because of that, I really can't give too detailed a review, but I can honestly say that this was the novel that ignited my life-long love for mysteries! Sure, as a kid, I had already been exposed to mysteries aimed at my age group...the Hardy Boys, Encyclopedia Brown, Scooby Doo (OK, that last one doesn't really count), but "And Then There Were None" was the first sophisticated mystery I ever read, and its eff...more
Dem
4.5 Stars

And then there were none by Agatha Christie.

Having never read an Agatha Christie novel I was delighted to get my hands on this book as it's title alone is intriguing.

This novel was published in 1939 and I thought while it might be a good read it would be a little out of date and may not live up to it's popularity of the time. How wrong I was, this novel is still as fresh and interesting as any modern mystery if not more so.

The story of 10 strangers, each lured to Soldier Island by a m...more
حسام عادل
رواية شيقة,مثيرة,محكمة,وممتعة لأقصى حد

------ خطيئتك سوف تلاحقك إلى الأبد ------
هذه الجملة هي تاج لاين الرواية..
لا تحسب أن ما فعلته خاطئاً سيختفي,لا تظن أن جريمتك قد تتراكم عليها أتربة السنين وتخفيها عن العيون,فلعل كلمة,إشارة,ذكرى,تعيد إحياء ما دُفن قبل أعوام..وتبدأ مطاردة دموية لفريسة هي أنت..مطاردة لن تُكتب النهاية لها إلا بأحرف من دمك.

ملحوظة هامة: التالي لا يوجد به أى حرق للرواية وأحداثها بتاتاً فلا تقلق.
تحكى الرواية عن مجموعة من أبسط أنواع البشر التي قد تقابلها يوماً,لا تحسب أنك قد تجد فيهم م
Michael
Ten people have been invited to have a holiday on Soldier Island; when they arrived they thought they had nothing in common. Soon they find out all of them have become complacent with the death (or deaths) of other human beings. One by one they all die, but who is the one that is there to seek revenge on the others?

And Then There Were None was originally titled Ten Little (I would rather not say) after the British nursery rhyme. The US edition used this title (which is also the last line of the...more
Joanna
Sep 10, 2013 Joanna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery-murder-crime-thriller fans especially those who haven't read any Christie novel yet
Recommended to Joanna by: Lucresia Strange
Shelves: lit-classics, i-own

Image courtesy of Wikipedia.org (*In my opinion* Left to right: Blore, Wargrave, Armstrong, Rogers, Lombard, Macarthur)

Breathtaking, tragic, climactic

A crazy murder classic. This is my first time to try a Christie novel but the suspense behind And Then There Were None got me shifting on my seat (quite intense criminology) as characters get killed by a mysterious murderer one by one.

When I read that Ten Little Indians poem, I knew it - in that part I'm right, however I still kept guessing who's w...more
Chiara Pagliochini

Dieci piccoli indiani è probabilmente il miglior libro di Agatha Christie (a proposito, sapevate che era dislessica?).
Innanzitutto, è una pecora nera nella produzione della Christie, e questo a causa della sua marcata amoralità. Conosciamo Miss Marple ed Hercule Poirot e siamo abituati ad aspettarci che i due investigatori si trovino sulla scena di un delitto, scoprano il colpevole e lo smascherino.
Ebbene, qui tutti questi elementi vengono meno: sono tutti colpevoli, non ci sono investigatori,...more
Cheryl
Recognition is essential in the mind of a serial killer, and though pathological to an extreme, the resolution of the crimes on Indian Island would still elude me without the motive, means, and process described in the epilogue of Agatha Christie's AND THEN THERE WERE NONE.

With the nursery rhyme Ten Little Indians echoing in the reader's mind, ten invited visitors to the Island, unknown to one another, are viciously murdered in a few blustering days in August.

Each holds a secret of crimes commi...more
Eman
طبعا ما فيش حد يقدر يقول حاجة على أجاثا كريستي

حبيبتي الكاتبة الراقية المتميزة

كانت رواية رهيبة قرأتها بالليل وكنت خائفة

والتوتر تصاعد وكاد قلبي ان يقف لمعرفة القاتل

كانت لها ايقاع جميل هذه الرواية

وانصح الجميع للقراءة لاجاثا كريستي

هذه الرواية أخرجت كفيلم بعنوان

And then there where noun
Kady ~
ثم لم يبقى أحد , أو واختفى كل شيء .. رائعة أجاثا كريستي ويا لها من رائعة ! , رواية تتحدى القارئ - لن تمل المطالعة حتى آخر نقطة ~
Luana
Non so voi, ma io avrei avuto un’incredibile paura a vivere con quella che è la mamma di Saw, perché, bisogna dirlo, Agatha Christie è la vera ideatrice di quell’orrendo fantoccio in triciclo che avrebbe iniziato ad uccidere solo settant’anni dopo di quanto lo faceva la penna di questa donna che era un genio del crimine. Genio del crimine nel senso che, secondo me, non avrebbe avuto problemi a progettare la morte di un eventuale marito infedele – nipote strappa eredità – ladro scippa-vecchine.
Ed...more
Chelsea
Dec 10, 2010 Chelsea rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Donovan Smithson :p
Ariel
Apr 14, 2013 Ariel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I am so glad that I finally picked up an Agatha Christie.. it was about time, and I think that I chose a good one to start with! And Then There Were None, fun fact, is the best-selling mystery novel in all of human history!

Overall, I thought that this was an excellent novel. It was very intriguing, and by half way I didn't want to put it down - I needed to know what was going on! I definitely understand why Christie is held in such high regard, too: her writing is quick and on edge, it's realist...more