Start by marking “A Floresta de Ossos” as Want to Read:
A Floresta de Ossos

A Floresta de Ossos (Mythago Wood #3)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  324 ratings  ·  11 reviews
A collection of eight short stories set in a mystical wood features a snow woman, a scientist succumbing to an age-old madness, roaming demons, conjurers working their pagan magic, and more.
Published 1995 by Caminho (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about A Floresta de Ossos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Floresta de Ossos

Greg
Nov 16, 2014 Greg marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Although I never read this collection of Holdstock's shorter fiction in his Mythago Wood world, I did read the eponymous novella when it appeared in Interzone 45, in 1991. I liked 'The Bone Forest' so much that I was moved to write a letter to the editor of the magazine (David Pringle), which was published in Interzone 49. Here's a picture of the magazine cover (painted by Geoff Taylor) in which the novella appeared:

Cover of Interzone 45
Holdstock's work was often brilliantly imaginative in terms of its core ideas/stories, but his writing occasionally betrayed his early years as a hack (he wrote, among other things, novelisations of the TV series, The Professionals, under the nom-de-plume, Ken Blake). 'The Bone Forest', a prequel of sorts to Mythago Wood, is a fascinating tale, and it makes good use of the old 'is it me or my alter ego writing my diary?' plot device. At times though it feels that there is simply too much going o ...more
Chiefdonkey Bradey
These stories are infused with deep memories, cruel and beautiful myths, archetypes and tangled, dark landscapes - you are swept away in a flow of high emotion and intense sensations
Robert Negut
Uh... Short stories... Hard to get anywhere near the amount of detail and complexity that I look for when I read something, in a short story.
The first one was OK, but not much more than that. The next three and the sixth were average at best. The seventh was odd and nothing more. The last was actually a bit disturbing... The one I liked most was "Time of the Tree", but most likely just because it treats the problem of humans destroying the Earth than because of the way it was written.
In conclusi
Kay
The Bone Forest consists of a novella and short stories, all written with the same feel of Mythago Wood and, in the case of the novella, the Mythago story from the point of view of Steven and Christian's father and his friend.
You often feel with many of the short stories that they do link into the Mythogo Cycle in some way, perhaps telling stories from the point of the Mythago. All are well imagined and written and of all the stories the one I enjoy the most is 'The Time of the Tree'.
Jim
This is a collection of short stories that fit into the Mythago cycle, though the best story, "Thorn," doesn't really.

"Thorn" is simply the best short story I have ever read and like many of Holdstock's works plays into the collective unconscious, the ancient and the eerie--all to beautiful effect here.

Warren Rochelle
I felt pretty much the same way about this Holdstock collection as I did Gate of Ivory. The last story, which doesn't fit in the Mythago universe, was sort of interesting.
Serge Pierro
A nice introduction for a new reader to explore the fertile mind of Robert Holdstock.
Lauren
Not bad, but the stories were more mysterious and vague than his novels.
J. D.
Holdstock's mind was unbelievably fertile.
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Gerald
Gerald marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Ehlena
Ehlena marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Froggie Sullivan
Froggie Sullivan marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Bruce Mackenzie
Bruce Mackenzie marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Sophiesusan
Sophiesusan marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Tim Simrell
Tim Simrell marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Halvor
Halvor is currently reading it
Nov 25, 2014
Jessi
Jessi marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
António Canto
António Canto marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
  • Our Lady of the Harbour (Newford, #1)
  • Vivia
  • Endangered Species
  • Time And The Gods
  • O Fio das Missangas
  • The Terror
  • The Throne of Bones
  • Dracula Unbound
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Three
  • Destroyer of Worlds (Kingdom of the Serpent, #3)
  • Gilgamesh the King (Gilgamesh, #1)
  • The Extremes
  • Sea-Kings of Mars and Otherworldly Stories
  • The Pastel City
  • The History of the Runestaff
Robert Paul Holdstock was an English novelist and author who is best known for his works of fantasy literature, predominantly in the fantasy subgenre of mythic fiction.

Holdstock's writing was first published in 1968. His science fiction and fantasy works explore philosophical, psychological, anthropological, spiritual, and woodland themes. He has received three BSFA awards and won the World Fantas
More about Robert Holdstock...
Mythago Wood (Mythago Wood, #1) Lavondyss (Mythago Wood, #2) The Hollowing (Mythago Wood, #4) Celtika (The Merlin Codex, Book 1) Gate of Ivory, Gate of Horn (Mythago Wood, #6)